Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I've got a suspicion that they'll do the same kind of thing this group has always done. I simply cannot understand where this hope for a sudden change of heart in these people comes from.
ill bet the farm they do every thing they said they wouldnt do.

so expect a old vet to be signed for lockerroom culture.

trade away picks for a vanilla nobody.

and keep all the current signed nobodies to boot.

basicly a roll it back season yet again.

#sameolOrange

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think it's possible to be successful without tearing it all down.

Florida basically has Ekblad and Barkov as their marquee top 5 picks, and that was 10 years ago. They leveraged Huberdeau to get Tkachuk. They signed Bob to a contract that looked awful only a few years ago, but has worked out when it had to. They made a number of other astute trades, signings, and waiver pickups that have made a difference.

The Flyers don't have an Ekblad or Barkov. Michkov may be a marquee forward we need, but he's a winger. They whiffed (in terms of outcome) on Patrick and Gauthier. That was their golden opportunity and it really hurts if you whiff on those top picks.

Can they recover from that without tearing it all down? That's the real question. We know what they are missing in terms of true talent level. A 1C and a 1D. Those are really hard to acquire outside of the draft. They either cost you a lot or already have too much mileage.

We know they're not tearing it all down. They've also continually said they're not looking for quick fixes and are prepared for a moderate amount of growing pains. But they're not resetting it to zero.

My confidence level that they can build a Cup contender is middling, but it can be done.
Huberdeau was a 3rd overall in addition to Ekblad and Barkov. They really need to tank next year

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I didn't think that was concerning at all - they basically reiterated they need to make their picks, develop players, shed salary, and then have a spine in place to go for it. It was honestly refreshing to hear them kind of ensure no big money will be spent.
I'm with you here. I think they said all the right things and stick into a game plan that I think is correct. The thing is though does everything that they say have the same definition in their mind as it has in my mind. That's what's disconcerting.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
But...what is the game plan ans what have they actually shown that they are sticking to it? They said they were rebuilding then Jones basically said it was BS. They haven't shown anything that says hey we are actually rebuilding

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I don’t blame Danny Briere for the current cap situation nor do I hate that we’re up against the cap right now
Briere didn't make this mess. That can be put on Hextall and Fletcher. Actually I am happy that they are up against the cap right now since it will stop them from doing something stupid this year. When the roster starts to clear next spring, look out.
My disgust right now is with Tortorella. Simply, he has to go. He wants his veterans such as Staal, Deslauriers, Laughton and EJ around in order to win now. They all need to be gone since they are blocking younger players who have a future. Tortorella is trying to protect his legacy, whatever that may be. IMO it prevents Briere from making the moves to prepare best for the future. My hope for this fall is that the young guys see what is happening to them as far as opportunity goes, get angry and turn on Torts with the end result being that he gets canned.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Briere didn't make this mess. That can be put on Hextall and Fletcher. Actually I am happy that they are up against the cap right now since it will stop them from doing something stupid this year. When the roster starts to clear next spring, look out.
My disgust right now is with Tortorella. Simply, he has to go. He wants his veterans such as Staal, Deslauriers, Laughton and EJ around in order to win now. They all need to be gone since they are blocking younger players who have a future. Tortorella is trying to protect his legacy, whatever that may be. IMO it prevents Briere from making the moves to prepare best for the future. My hope for this fall is that the young guys see what is happening to them as far as opportunity goes, get angry and turn on Torts with the end result being that he gets canned.
you are aware DB just gave Torts a ringing endorsment and stated he isnt going anywere..

the young players are way more likely to be jettisonned then Torts

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
you are aware DB just gave Torts a ringing endorsment and stated he isnt going anywere..

the young players are way more likely to be jettisonned then Torts
The last thing that a coach to be fired gets is a public statement by the GM approving their performance.
Torts has overstepped his bounds in dealing with the players in each of the two seasons that he's been here. After the first one, he ended up the season sitting in the press box rather than behind the bench. Last year, after the Couturier fiasco, he backed into the shadows again since the room stood against him.
Tortorella is a bully just like Babcock, Sutter and others of that ilk. The sooner that he is gone the better. He's all about accountability until it comes to himself. That wears out fast and now his act is widely known.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Who right now is being blocked? The prospect pool on a non playoff team should be seeing an influx of young talent.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
"Actually I am happy that they are up against the cap right now since it will stop them from doing something stupid this year"

I am undecided on Briere at this time but do you trust him or not? Based upon this statement, it sounds like you think he would do something stupid if he had more cap room.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We all know that picks came back in those trades, but it doesn't change the fact that Johansen and Petersen have a combined cap hit of $9,000,000 in 23-24. And Angelo's contract would be over now if Briere hadn't bought him out at Tort's direction.

Briere also gave a $6.2m AAV extension to Tippett that starts this season, and signed an unproven Russian goalie at $3.275m. That's another $9,475,000 on the cap that has zero to do with previous GMs.

And then you have Seeler, Cates, Hathaway and Poehling combining for $9,600,000. That's a lot of money for a rebuilding team to spend on bottom of the lineup guys.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Who right now is being blocked? The prospect pool on a non playoff team should be seeing an influx of young talent.
I'd prefer to see Attard and Andrae on defense to figure out if the can play this game at the NHL level rather than watching Staal or EJ creep around the rink. I hear all of this stuff about needing veteran defensemen too balance out the younger York and Drysdale. Fine. The last that I noticed, Sanheim, Risto and Seeler were a bit away from their rookie seasons.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
We all know that picks came back in those trades, but it doesn't change the fact that Johansen and Petersen have a combined cap hit of $9,000,000 in 23-24. And Angelo's contract would be over now if Briere hadn't bought him out at Tort's direction.

Briere also gave a huge extension to Tippett that starts this season.
I don't see where the Tippett extension should be a bother. He's living up to it now.
$9M for one year in exchange for two first rounders isn't a horrible price to pay.
TDA's acquisition was a mess to start and that goes on to Fletcher. He was trying unsuccessfully to correct the error in giving away Gostisbehere. Stupid is as stupid does. Moral of the story-don't allow coaches to dictate rosters.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Flyers aren‘t really up against the cap as tight as it seems. Over 10 million going on LTIR, the roster is mostly full, and they have a bunch of easily movable 2-3 mil contracts. Don‘t underestimate their ability to do something stupid.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Don't think we can pencil Johansen into the LTIR list any more. Briere admitted that he doesn't have a timeline for the player's availability

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
You can’t complain that they don’t weaponize cap space AND complain that they’re up against the cap because they acquired cap dumps for picks.

I’m sorry. You just can’t. That’s a bridge too far in the “heads I win, tails you lose” game.

My thoughts exactly.
Same thing as complaining about our prospect pool when one of the best prospects in the world was traded for an NHLer (Gauthier/Drysdale) and 2 others graduated, 1 great, 1 good (Foerster/Brink).

The pool suddenly becomes top 10 with CG, Foerster and Brink on top of the great seasons by Bonk, Barkey and Bump. Not to mention the slew of picks we have which should beef it back up.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
My thoughts exactly.
Same thing as complaining about our prospect pool when one of the best prospects in the world was traded for an NHLer (Gauthier/Drysdale) and 2 others graduated, 1 great, 1 good (Foerster/Brink).

The pool suddenly becomes top 10 with CG, Foerster and Brink on top of the great seasons by Bonk, Barkey and Bump. Not to mention the slew of picks we have which should beef it back up.

Gauthier is gone and isn‘t coming back, so including him here doesn‘t really work. The other two are pretty mid, like the other prospects in the pool not named Michkov. I‘m not going to pretend to know all about the prospect pools of other teams, but this one doesn‘t really feel top 10.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Briere also gave a $6.2m AAV extension to Tippett that starts this season, and signed an unproven Russian goalie at $3.275m. That's another $9,475,000 on the cap that has zero to do with previous GMs.

And then you have Seeler, Cates, Hathaway and Poehling combining for $9,600,000. That's a lot of money for a rebuilding team to spend on bottom of the lineup guys.
I agree with you on the Seller/Cates/Hathaway/Poehling. The rest though is what we'd expect or hope for. We had cap space. Everyone agreed we should use it to get picks. We did that. Those were moves we'd like to see. Tippett earned a contract. He was tied with TK for even strength goals this season to lead the team. He was going to get paid and his deal is comparable to other players his age and output. Could he have been traded? Maybe but not sure what he would have returned. Fedotov I was surprised by the contract but the Flyers didn't have a ton of leverage there as he was a UFA. Sure we could have let him walk but then if he goes somewhere else and plays well everyone will say Briere is an idiot for letting him walk. If he plays well the contract looks good. If he doesn't then ok. Sometimes you have to take that risk because letting him walk is equally risky.

It's not an ideal situation but Briere has for the most part done things the way they should be done. Not every move is going to be perfect or ground breaking. Some moves will suck. Some moves will have no impact. And some moves will be good. I think he needs at least three full seasons before we can really evaluate the performance. That's not to say I think things like the Tippett contract is a shrewd or great move, but if you give him a bridge deal and he scores 40 next year what do you think his contract looks like after that? Everything is a risk.

Reactions: renberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad