Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This wasn't a hockey focused press conference - that's my problem with the negativity today. They talked about a variety of subjects, organizational structure, the future of the WFC, fan perception, review of feedback....

If anything they sounded excited to be a part of the process and tradition and wanted to keep it rolling.

Dan Hilfterty is a corporate lifer, his whole being is being a corporate puppet - of course he is gonna get fired up for new dialogue around team sponsors. Wouldn't you rather him be doing that than talking to Briere?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Don't know what to tell you. I suggest getting to a practice on a random weekday 2x-3x this season and I bet you will run into one of Hilferty or Jones. See for yourself.

This doesn't mean shit to most people. Not sure why it does to you.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Are we allowed to complain about them not getting enough back in either trade or do we just have to swallow it?

That’s being negative for the sake of it at the time it happens and afterwards it’s being revisionist. The only correct answer is to build a shrine to checking the “getting a 1st” box. And people wonder why I’d rather talk Rutgers football than the Flyers at this point.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Gauthier is gone and isn‘t coming back, so including him here doesn‘t really work. The other two are pretty mid, like the other prospects in the pool not named Michkov. I‘m not going to pretend to know all about the prospect pools of other teams, but this one doesn‘t really feel top 10.

My point was that Gauthier being gone was a massive blow to our ‘ranking.’ As it would be to any pool.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
My point was that Gauthier being gone was a massive blow to our ‘ranking.’ As it would be to any pool.
And I don't think Drysdale is much of a factor in their U23 ranking. Seems like a big miss so far.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Sure, but even with him they weren‘t ranked too high. If losing one prospect or one prospect not panning out drops your prospect pool that far, then you don‘t have a serious prospect pool.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
We all know that picks came back in those trades, but it doesn't change the fact that Johansen and Petersen have a combined cap hit of $9,000,000 in 23-24. And Angelo's contract would be over now if Briere hadn't bought him out at Tort's direction.

Briere also gave a $6.2m AAV extension to Tippett that starts this season, and signed an unproven Russian goalie at $3.275m. That's another $9,475,000 on the cap that has zero to do with previous GMs.

And then you have Seeler, Cates, Hathaway and Poehling combining for $9,600,000. That's a lot of money for a rebuilding team to spend on bottom of the lineup guys.
wins in the margins is for Nerds..
🤣🤣

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Are we allowed to complain about them not getting enough back in either trade or do we just have to swallow it?
Knock yourself out, but just don’t use it as a motte-and-bailey to say one outlandish thing (that they’re not using cap space to acquire assets) and then retreat to a more defensible argument (that they didn’t get maximum value in return) when that’s called out.

(I know you didn’t say the original outlandish thing)

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
This doesn't mean shit to most people. Not sure why it does to you.
To season ticket holders and fans? It absolutely does

Editing - but elaborating on this...connecting with the fans has always been an INTEGRAL part to Flyers Hockey.

1. Fans used to literally hang out and drink with the entire team at Rexy's in the 70s and at Bullies in the 90s
2. It's the only practice open to the fans out of the 4 teams
3. The Flyers carnival is the only true OPEN event where you can meet any of your favorite players
4. The Flyers are a staple of Voorhees - want to go see your players after practice? Go wait on the side of the parking lot. Go to Otts on a random night and you'll see players and management - same thing at the old days

You might not like it - but this is who they used to be - and who they want to be again.

"There is no greater love in sports than the Philadelphia Flyers and their fans"

Last edited:

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Editing - but elaborating on this...connecting with the fans has always been an INTEGRAL part to Flyers Hockey.

1. Fans used to literally hang out and drink with the entire team at Rexy's in the 70s and at Bullies in the 90s
3. The Flyers carnival is the only true OPEN event where you can meet any of your favorite players
4. The Flyers are a staple of Voorhees - want to go see your players after practice? Go wait on the side of the parking lot. Go to Otts on a random night and you'll see players and management - same thing at the old days

You might not like it - but this is who they used to be - and who they want to be again.

"There is no greater love in sports than the Philadelphia Flyers and their fans"

None of that will make them a winner though.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
We all know that picks came back in those trades, but it doesn't change the fact that Johansen and Petersen have a combined cap hit of $9,000,000 in 23-24. And Angelo's contract would be over now if Briere hadn't bought him out at Tort's direction.

Briere also gave a $6.2m AAV extension to Tippett that starts this season, and signed an unproven Russian goalie at $3.275m. That's another $9,475,000 on the cap that has zero to do with previous GMs.

And then you have Seeler, Cates, Hathaway and Poehling combining for $9,600,000. That's a lot of money for a rebuilding team to spend on bottom of the lineup guys.
You must have forgotten that Fletcher was absolved of blame because everything put on his plate was because of Hextall.

Please continue to ignore that Fletcher re-signed every single player on the roster sans JVR and maybe someone else while these arguments were made.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

But all of that is just useless propaganda when the goal of a franchise is to win the Stanley Cup.

The propaganda is serving it's purpose though as they're eating it up hook line and sinker. That's the purpose of propaganda though which is to make the general public look at something else shiny to distract them from the true terror behind the curtain.

At the end of the day there's nothing wrong with wanting to feel better about the whole situation which is what they're aiming for but it rings hollow to a ton of people as we've seen this song and dance before.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But all of that is just useless propaganda when the goal of a franchise is to win the Stanley Cup.

The propaganda is serving it's purpose though as they're eating it up hook line and sinker. That's the purpose of propaganda though which is to make the general public look at something else shiny to distract them from the true terror behind the curtain.

At the end of the day there's nothing wrong with wanting to feel better about the whole situation which is what they're aiming for but it rings hollow to a ton of people as we've seen this song and dance before.

Agreed. It is markedly easier to love a team that a) is not far removed from success and b) has displayed competence in putting together a contender than it is to love a mediocre treadmill roster trying desperately to recapture its glory days while badly misunderstanding what generated that glory to begin with.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
None of that will make them a winner though.

No but having a family feel does make people like working for the organization itself, it does make fans feel connected - and that actually matters.

But you are right - winning solves a lot...but when you win and have a connection with the team and ownership...its special. Look at what the Phillies are doing.

John Middleton did a complete 180 after covid, and people went from hating him (if we don't we don't- Andy McPhail era - I forget what John said that one time, but it rubbed fans the wrong way) - to being "a man of the people".

That stuff legit resonates with fans.

Again - this was a business press conference. And of course, yes they need to actually put together a win before we give them their flowers...but after years of negligence to fans....them actually caring, or pretending to care, is a nice change.

• Haha
Reactions: Amorgus and trostol

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Let's say the Flyers Stanley Cup clock begins with the Michkov pick since they blew their other top 5 picks.

Colorado took 9 years to win the Cup after MacKinnon. Caps took 14 years to win after getting Ovi.

Obviously some teams reach it quicker like the Pens and Hawks. And some never reach it at all.

Our Flyers are taking the path with a high degree of difficulty and it's more likely to take them a decade plus, if at all.

So, yeah, that's a long time to wait for a Cup. It makes sense that management and ownership need to create something for people to get excited about and distract them from that timeline.

Reactions: Rebels57

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
PR fluff is irrelevant when they're picking the wrong executives, coaches, and players.
Times have changed. In the 50’s, the only hockey that we saw on tv was an occasional Rangers game on a Saturday afternoon during winter. When Snider brought the team here the game was still a novelty to most people in the area. He could put almost any act on the ice and get away with it. Now sixty years later the public is savvy to the game. The fans know what good hockey is; what a good player, coach or FO guy is.
What Comcast needs to do is find another Keith Allen; an innovative coach like Fred Shero or Mike Keenan coach who can bring in a club that can compete in the modern game. In other words build a modern competent hockey organization and stop with the amateur hour knuckle dragging stuff. Comcast has the means to do this. What’s missing is the will.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

And Kaminski's in the 80s. But that's not why they had a fanbase outside of the tiny percentage that went to those places. It's great for those people and I'm sure it meant the world to them. But they resonated on a broad level because they won. Everything else is superfluous to the population as a whole. The players didn't stop going out in the late 80s. You could still find them at the same places. It stopped being a story because the team sucked.

but after years of negligence to fans....them actually caring, or pretending to care, is a nice change.

I'll ask again. What does this mean to you? What is materially different about their PR?

Reactions: Audible Velvet

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
And Kaminski's in the 80s. But that's not why they had a fanbase outside of the tiny percentage that went to those places. It's great for those people and I'm sure it meant the world to them. But they resonated on a broad level because they won. Everything else is superfluous to the population as a whole. The players didn't stop going out in the late 80s. You could still find them at the same places. It stopped being a story because the team sucked.

I'll ask again. What does this mean to you? What is materially different about their PR?
You don't think Hilferty is different than Dave Scott in connecting with fans?

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
this was my whole point of the stage magicians thing..you are content with the PR they spin you..that they are catering to the fans in one hand..but in their other hand, the one which counts, the on ice product...is a totally different thing going on..the PR is there distracting you

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
what comcast needs to do is sell the team

Bottom 3 ownership group in the NHL.

Have zero clue about how to properly manage a team, and the men in its power structure.

They have a lot of money. Plenty of examples in life where that doesn’t mean smarts. You can bet your ass they heard rumblings about people wanting them to sell, and panicked right back to the old guard.

The same dogshit alumni who have the team in a chokehold.

I don’t watch the NFL, or MLB. I can’t think of an org that caters to its past, and the men of that family - as much as the the Flyers.

Reactions: trostol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad