Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I don't see where the Tippett extension should be a bother. He's living up to it now.
$9M for one year in exchange for two first rounders isn't a horrible price to pay.
TDA's acquisition was a mess to start and that goes on to Fletcher. He was trying unsuccessfully to correct the error in giving away Gostisbehere. Stupid is as stupid does. Moral of the story-don't allow coaches to dictate rosters.
Those trades taking back cap space weren't 1 for 1 for 1st round picks, they were to upgrade 2nd round picks into 1st round picks, which is a big difference. Is it good Briere used the extra cap space to grab more draft capital? Yes, of course. But it also seems to be that he didn't get enough back to take on the salary and term that he took on (especially in Peterson's case).

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
You don't think Hilferty is different than Dave Scott in connecting with fans?

That's not what I said. You have repeatedly made statements akin to "them now caring or pretending to care." I'm asking what's different that allows you to determine they went from not caring to caring.

For the record, I think they all care to some degree. I just don't see anything resembling a night and day difference on that front. I don't buy for a second that Ed Snider's handpicked guy didn't care. That stretches logic well beyond its breaking point. It's a different method of PR but still trying to do the same thing. If it resonates with you personally more, great. But that's a different discussion.

Reactions: kudymen

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
To season ticket holders and fans? It absolutely does

Editing - but elaborating on this...connecting with the fans has always been an INTEGRAL part to Flyers Hockey.

1. Fans used to literally hang out and drink with the entire team at Rexy's in the 70s and at Bullies in the 90s
2. It's the only practice open to the fans out of the 4 teams
3. The Flyers carnival is the only true OPEN event where you can meet any of your favorite players
4. The Flyers are a staple of Voorhees - want to go see your players after practice? Go wait on the side of the parking lot. Go to Otts on a random night and you'll see players and management - same thing at the old days

You might not like it - but this is who they used to be - and who they want to be again.

"There is no greater love in sports than the Philadelphia Flyers and their fans"

And if the team is continually run like crap, and has no chance to be mediocre at the absolute best case scenario - why does this matter?

This is the stuff you might start caring about AFTER you have management that knows what they are doing. Instead we are doing it backwards. The Flyers are trying to get their fans back by doing all the soft touchy feeling things first. Focus on the hockey dummies. In the end even if they treated the fans like shit but were one of the top teams in the league every year, they would make a killing.

No but having a family feel does make people like working for the organization itself, it does make fans feel connected - and that actually matters.

But you are right - winning solves a lot...but when you win and have a connection with the team and ownership...its special. Look at what the Phillies are doing.

John Middleton did a complete 180 after covid, and people went from hating him (if we don't we don't- Andy McPhail era - I forget what John said that one time, but it rubbed fans the wrong way) - to being "a man of the people".

That stuff legit resonates with fans.

Again - this was a business press conference. And of course, yes they need to actually put together a win before we give them their flowers...but after years of negligence to fans....them actually caring, or pretending to care, is a nice change.

People started liking Middleton because the team is good now.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Those trades taking back cap space weren't 1 for 1 for 1st round picks, they were to upgrade 2nd round picks into 1st round picks, which is a big difference. Is it good Briere used the extra cap space to grab more draft capital? Yes, of course. But it also seems to be that he didn't get enough back to take on the salary and term that he took on (especially in Peterson's case).

Thank you. This is the key point. It's unfair to get indignant with people for not being happy about the cap space weaponization issue without acknowledging this point.

That's not what I said. You have repeatedly made statements akin to "them now caring or pretending to care." I'm asking what's different that allows you to determine they went from not caring to caring.

For the record, I think they all care to some degree. I just don't see anything resembling a night and day difference on that front. I don't buy for a second that Ed Snider's handpicked guy didn't care. That stretches logic well beyond its breaking point. It's a different method of PR but still trying to do the same thing. If it resonates with you personally more, great. But that's a different discussion.

Dan Hilferty doesn't care anymore than Scott. That's naive. He's better at PR\propaganda. That's it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I just can’t imagine caring how blindingly white Hilferty’s fake teeth look as he smiles at me. Or how firm his handshake feels. Or how passionately he repeats his mantra, “New Era of Orange,” for the 7004th time.

They’re billion dollar hucksters without a product. Making you think there’s a product worth buying is their objective.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You can’t complain that they don’t weaponize cap space AND complain that they’re up against the cap because they acquired cap dumps for picks.

I’m sorry. You just can’t. That’s a bridge too far in the “heads I win, tails you lose” game.

Sure you can! You can complain, like I do, that very little of that cap is weaponized. If they were against the cap because they used a lot of it to get picks, I'd be fine. They've done little of that.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

People I know in the org say the working conditions/vibes are much better, it's much more collaborative. the employees are happier, there is a legit vision and a "pulling together" mentality...social/ticket people aren't getting yelled at online or through the phones. There is legitimate unity and togetherness in the building. Hilferty and Jones are accessible and around team employees, not in a 90 story comcast building. FWIW - I've been told repeatedly that working for the Flyers during Hextall was hell because of the mgmt, and the Chuck era was hell because of the team (because of the mgmt lol)

The on ice stuff needs work - and that might be all you care about, but I coach and play at FTC, I spend a lot of time in frozen ice boxes with people from Snider hockey, Flyers Youth. The new regime and the people under them - OFF the ice - have provided a breathe of fresh air. Did you know the Flyers had a pretty rocky relationship with Snider hockey the last few years that is now being restored? I just think things off the ice are better, I think the messaging has worked and been largely appropriate. I'm genuinely happy with the off ice stuff.

If you wanna tell me it's fluff, PR, that's fair - but I just don't think the previous regime tried to connect with the city, the fans, their own employees (!!) - like this new one does. If you think Hilferty is pandering - thats fine, he probably is - but Dave Scott didn't even give enough of a damn to try to pander. Dave Scott to me just had no juice, no emotion, no energy. Hilferty might be a corporate lifer, but he at least has some personality and drive. I heard him say he went to 60 games this year and got to know the players and traveling staff.

Idk I just personally have heard it's just a better place to be - obviously we need winning or else all of this is crap and not worth a damn

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not that I think Dave Scott was great or anything but he had to sell the Fletcher era which is essentially when everybody turned on him.
When he started, everyone was worried he would force Hextall to start doing crazy shit

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
People I know in the org say the working conditions/vibes are much better, it's much more collaborative. the employees are happier, there is a legit vision and a "pulling together" mentality...social/ticket people aren't getting yelled at online or through the phones. There is legitimate unity and togetherness in the building. Hilferty and Jones are accessible and around team employees, not in a 90 story comcast building. FWIW - I've been told repeatedly that working for the Flyers during Hextall was hell because of the mgmt, and the Chuck era was hell because of the team (because of the mgmt lol)

The on ice stuff needs work - and that might be all you care about, but I coach and play at FTC, I spend a lot of time in frozen ice boxes with people from Snider hockey, Flyers Youth. The new regime and the people under them - OFF the ice - have provided a breathe of fresh air. Did you know the Flyers had a pretty rocky relationship with Snider hockey the last few years that is now being restored? I just think things off the ice are better, I think the messaging has worked and been largely appropriate. I'm genuinely happy with the off ice stuff.

If you wanna tell me it's fluff, PR, that's fair - but I just don't think the previous regime tried to connect with the city, the fans, their own employees (!!) - like this new one does. If you think Hilferty is pandering - thats fine, he probably is - but Dave Scott didn't even give enough of a damn to try to pander. Dave Scott to me just had no juice, no emotion, no energy. Hilferty might be a corporate lifer, but he at least has some personality and drive. I heard him say he went to 60 games this year and got to know the players and traveling staff.

Idk I just personally have heard it's just a better place to be - obviously we need winning or else all of this is crap and not worth a damn
The new regime isn't really either..the only ones they are connecting with are the old time die hards...they will forever be the 4th team in the city til something changes...the beginning rhe scenes that it is a better place ro work at means jack and shit...

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

If they care so much they should have done an actual evaluation and hiring process of their management staff. Not the dog and pony show we got, where they ushered in in-house people without a second thought - and only those that would accept torterella. Ass backwards.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

You are probably right on a lot of this.

It's where my angst lies. The approach has only gone out to what I'd call the STH crowd. Largely middle/older aged local fans. Nothing against those people personally, but it all seems tailored to that crowd only.

I'd be curious if there is any way to see what the out of market interest in the Flyers is. Or by age bracket. This approach is giving nothing but a big middle finger to fans like myself, 33 - out of market. Those who dont give a flying fart about the past, or how enjoyable attending practices is.

In a league that has amazing stars, guys to follow the careers of, high talent. They keep trying to sell me every season on a construction worker hockey team. I know the "hard working" thing is probably in the DNA so to speak, but those ditch digging teams had elite talent too.

The Flyers were must attend when there was a chance to catch them here, not so anymore. Guys like ASF, and Melzter can squeal in joy but the product is tailored to people like them only.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
We all know that picks came back in those trades, but it doesn't change the fact that Johansen and Petersen have a combined cap hit of $9,000,000 in 23-24. And Angelo's contract would be over now if Briere hadn't bought him out at Tort's direction.

Briere also gave a $6.2m AAV extension to Tippett that starts this season, and signed an unproven Russian goalie at $3.275m. That's another $9,475,000 on the cap that has zero to do with previous GMs.

And then you have Seeler, Cates, Hathaway and Poehling combining for $9,600,000. That's a lot of money for a rebuilding team to spend on bottom of the lineup guys.
In a perfect world you can look at that as him not caring about the cap because he knows the flyers aren't going to be good for a few more years.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I'd be curious if there is any way to see what the out of market interest in the Flyers is. Or by age bracket. This approach is giving nothing but a big middle finger to fans like myself, 33 - out of market. Those who dont give a flying fart about the past, or how enjoyable attending practices is.
As a fellow out of market millennial, I too have zero interest in the team currently. Probably the least I have ever had in this team.

Care about propaganda and vibes with STH's I do not.

mediocre1975

Jun 7, 2024
Nothing is going to change with this team, same dumpster fire as it ever was. They are going to sign TK to a long term expensive deal. He fits in nicely with Coots, Sanheim, Risto etc. New era of orange boys

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
If they care so much they should have done an actual evaluation and hiring process of their management staff. Not the dog and pony show we got, where they ushered in in-house people without a second thought - and only those that would accept torterella. Ass backwards.
You seem to only care about on ice stuff, I don’t. It’s totally cool.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Who really cares about Snider Hockey and Flyers Youth as that is really irrelevant. The on ice product sucks and the management has shown to be well not so good.

Hilferty is a frigging mark to the extreme. Players laugh their ass off when he leaves is my guess

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

If employees are being treated better by the org, that's fantastic and will always matter to me. And good on you for doing some coaching. You seem like you would treat the kids well. I'm always in favor of kindness way above hockey priorities.

I have never worked for the Flyers, but sadly do have quite a bit of experience with corporate lifers. There's a world of difference between positive interactions when things are going well versus when they aren't. I hope it continues, but as you rightly pointed out a lot of the ridiculous abuse employees who answer the phone take are results of on ice failures. They really haven't had a chance to build up yet. So what I would personally be interested in hearing is whether those employees are still happier if/when things start to turn south.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
If employees are being treated better by the org, that's fantastic and will always matter to me. And good on you for doing some coaching. You seem like you would treat the kids well. I'm always in favor of kindness way above hockey priorities.

I have never worked for the Flyers, but sadly do have quite a bit of experience with corporate lifers. There's a world of difference between positive interactions when things are going well versus when they aren't. I hope it continues, but as you rightly pointed out a lot of the ridiculous abuse employees who answer the phone take are results of on ice failures. They really haven't had a chance to build up yet. So what I would personally be interested in hearing is whether those employees are still happier if/when things start to turn south.
I'll keep my finger to the pulse.

And I'm with you btw - I want radical on ice change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad