Therrien - New Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
'Tanks Again Carey' - Michael Therrien.

'Thanks again Wayne' - Glen Sather
'Thanks again Martin' - Pat Burns
'Thanks Mario' - Bob Johnson
'Thanks Mario' - Scotty Bowman
'Thanks Patrick' - Jaques Demers
'Thanks Sidney' - Dan Bylsma
'Thanks Jonathan' - Joel Quenville

This is what happens when you have ultra Superstars...they win you games on there own.

Every team has holes, it's impossible to dress the perfect team, you'd never be able to fit it under the cap.....and if you did or got close to it, you lose some key players the next year.....see Chicago, L.A, Boston

Just content yourself that we have him instead of Toronto, as opposed to sublimely mocking Therrien, especially after a 4-0 start.....

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
Without looking at the numbers i estimated 12 points lost, and it was actually 10. My bad, ill go commit sepukku.

12 ?

Last year we were like 1-7-3 against lottery teams, so ill take that improvement too.

1-7-3 is not 12 pts lost. It's 17. So your ''estimate'' was 17, reality 10. So mistake after mistake after mistake. Mistake, or BS, not sure.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Is it me or the Canadiens are really playing a more 'fun' brand of hockey under MT this season? I know the sample size is small but, it kind of reminds me of the shortened season . We seem to be more aggressive, less dump and chase, more controlled O-zone enteries, etc. It's like MT & the coaching staff created a hybrid system that is a mix of the high octane shortened season one and the one we got used to seeing for the past 2 seasons.
The results so far are very good and very pleasing to watch for us fans ;)

I'll give Therrien the benefit of the doubt since he did say at the beginning of the season that the plan was to dump less, so maybe the system has changed (I'll need a larger sample size to confirm) but the cynic in me thinks it's less a change of the system and more due to players being put in the correct roles.

For instance Pacioretty being played in a 2-way role instead of an exploitation role, Galchenyuk at center, DD in a reduced role, etc... They all help our possession/zone-entries so I would expect those things to be better even if we kept the same system.

Nynja*

12 ?

1-7-3 is not 12 pts lost. It's 17. So your ''estimate'' was 17, reality 10. So mistake after mistake after mistake. Mistake, or BS, not sure.

I made the posts from my phone, at work. I'm sorry I didnt put my job on hold to take the 20 minutes required to dig through nhl.com to look everything up and make sure every little thing I posted was statistically accurate to appease you.

BUF: 1-2-1
EDM: 0-1-1
ARI: 1-1-0
TOT: 2-4-2 (.375)

I'm sorry you're pleased with the results against the lottery teams last season, I was not pleased with a .375 point percentage against teams that were the top 3 draft lottery teams, THATS ****ING TORRID

Last edited by a moderator:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
'Thanks Sidney' - Dan Bylsma

This is what happens when you have ultra Superstars...they win you games on there own.

Every team has holes, it's impossible to dress the perfect team, you'd never be able to fit it under the cap.....and if you did or got close to it, you lose some key players the next year.....see Chicago, L.A, Boston

Just content yourself that we have him instead of Toronto, as opposed to sublimely mocking Therrien, especially after a 4-0 start.....
Nobody has asked for the perfect team and nobody has said that key players aren't difference makers. People have said that this team is poorly coached and that we're overly dependent on on our goalie.

Pat Burns didn't rely on Brodeur to the extent that we do on Price because the Devils played a good system and we don't. The Oilers won a cup without Gretzky. Jacques Demers' team wasn't bottom third everywhere apart from goaltending the way we are. Pretty clear difference between us and those teams.

Nynja*

Every team has holes

The irony being that its usually the MT supporters who say "our team is really bad and its amazing that MT has done so well with such a bad team, if we had a perfect team like CHI or LA"

Ok, maybe they dont straight up call them "perfect", but they imply that these teams have no holes whatsoever.

bouquet

Mar 30, 2014
Québec
I think MT is doing a better job this year, but he has a better cast. The fourth line is much better, night and day. And the defense , Petry and Beaulieu, and Emelin is better than last year. Is the team better because of the coach is taking better decisions, or he is taking better decisions because he has a better cast?

But what i like is the fact that they have a plan, talking to players in the summer to prepare them. And they changed the system, more implication by defenseman, but you have to have the horses.

And i think as a french speaker with a bad accent that even for me that MT is talking a better english, did he took lessons?:laugh:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Nobody has asked for the perfect team and nobody has said that key players aren't difference makers. People have said that this team is poorly coached and that we're overly dependent on on our goalie.

Last year maybe. But this year so far the team played well (except for the first game). Anyone who say we are 4-0 only because of the goalies are either not watching the games, not fan of the club or totality blind.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Last year maybe. But this year so far the team played well (except for the first game). Anyone who say we are 4-0 only because of the goalies are either not watching the games, not fan of the club or totality blind.

Heck, if we keep that up we will play more good games this month than our total during last season. ;)

Nynja*

I dont think anyones said were relying on Price this season, other than that first game in Toronto.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Heck, if we keep that up we will play more good games this month than our total during last season. ;)

haha ;)

I think yesterday was a very very good game considering the circumstances. It was a 3rd game in 4 nights all on the road in different cities. It was another home opener for the other team and it was a supposedly good team that had to redeem itself for the first 2 games. With Crosby having 0 shot and 0 point in 2 games i really thought the pens would steamroll us.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We're four games in. Our first three games were against bottomfeeders and we were dominated in one of them. Last night against Pittsburgh was apparently pretty even (I only caught part of the game.)

It's too early to know anything really. But at least we've played better overall so that is a positive.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I think MT is doing a better job this year, but he has a better cast. The fourth line is much better, night and day. And the defense , Petry and Beaulieu, and Emelin is better than last year. Is the team better because of the coach is taking better decisions, or he is taking better decisions because he has a better cast?

But what i like is the fact that they have a plan, talking to players in the summer to prepare them. And they changed the system, more implication by defenseman, but you have to have the horses.

And i think as a french speaker with a bad accent that even for me that MT is talking a better english, did he took lessons?:laugh:

Galchenyuk forcing MT's hand has something to do with it. That resticts MT from giving DD all that ice time for PP and offense.

Fleischmann and Semin gives this team depth scoring.

And Petry really stabilizes the D corps.

That's a lot of talent there.

Never mind our elite D in Subban, elite goalie+goalie coach, elite 30+ goal scorer since 2010-2011, our solid two-way center from way back in the past.

Therrien has been given a Benz and yet people think he only has an old Kia out of warranty.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Pat Burns didn't rely on Brodeur to the extent that we do on Price because the Devils played a good system and we don't. The Oilers won a cup without Gretzky. Jacques Demers' team wasn't bottom third everywhere apart from goaltending the way we are. Pretty clear difference between us and those teams.

Marty Brodeur 2002-03 season. 73 games

Carey Price 2014-15 season. 66 games

If you keep repeating something, even if it isnt all that accurate, eventually some people will believe it.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
We're four games in. Our first three games were against bottomfeeders and we were dominated in one of them. Last night against Pittsburgh was apparently pretty even (I only caught part of the game.)

It's too early to know anything really. But at least we've played better overall so that is a positive.

Boston, Pittsburgh and Ottawa will all be in the playoffs.

We can wager if you like.

Nynja*

If you keep repeating something, even if it isnt all that accurate, eventually some people will believe it.

Its not on the basis of games played, its on the basis of "stealing games for us"..

Marty Brodeur 2002-03 season, 73 games, 1706 shots against, 23.37 shots per game
Carey Price 2014-15 season, 66 games, 1953 shots against, 29.59 shots per game

Brodeur played 7 more games yet faced 150 LESS shots?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Boston, Pittsburgh and Ottawa will all be in the playoffs.

We can wager if you like.

I'd take that bet, I have strong doubts about all 3 teams. Let alone all 3 making it.

But that doesn't change the fact that we are a good well coached team. We often play to our opposition in the regular season. We rely on effort to score goals, and strong D and G to keep our leads. If we want easy games where we blow out the other team with superior skill/system then we need superior players up front like what the hawks have with Kane, Toews, Hossa, and the various really good players that counted as secondary scorer such as Sharp, Saad, and now Panarin. We got a small taste of that when we had Vanek and Gionta on the 3rd line. We're also looking better this season so far with more O from the D (Petry + improved Boylow) and an older Galchenyuk/Gallagher + Semin and more depth with the 4th line.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'd take that bet, I have strong doubts about all 3 teams. Let alone all 3 making it.

But that doesn't change the fact that we are a good well coached team. We often play to our opposition in the regular season. We rely on effort to score goals, and strong D and G to keep our leads. If we want easy games where we blow out the other team with superior skill/system then we need superior players up front like what the hawks have with Kane, Toews, Hossa, and the various really good players that counted as secondary scorer such as Sharp, Saad, and now Panarin. We got a small taste of that when we had Vanek and Gionta on the 3rd line. We're also looking better this season so far with more O from the D (Petry + improved Boylow) and an older Galchenyuk/Gallagher + Semin and more depth with the 4th line.

So, we're better cause if the moves made by MB, not the coaching staff... I see.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
So, we're better cause if the moves made by MB, not the coaching staff... I see.

Regardless of your opinion on MT, it makes perfect sense.

If MT is the dumbass you think he is... why would he suddenly get smart and make the team play better despite zero improvements to the roster ?

And if he's a solid coach like I think he is... and if there were no improvements to the roster... it makes no sense to improve all of a sudden because if MT is solid, then he was getting the best he could out of that same group before this season.

But it's never that black and white. Players performances fluctuate, and coaches don't always have all the time and circumstances they want to get the players to play exactly the way they want them to.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

The Devils had a system that would prevent shots/dangerous shots. Yes, Brodeur was exceptionnal and the system probably wouldn't have been that efficient with another goalie but it's not the same thing at all in Montreal.

The system* we had LAST YEAR (looks different this year, I'll reserve my judgement for later but I'm cautiously optimist) isn't anywhere near the level of the one the Devils had in the 00s. Not only did we were a bottom in shots allowed, we were also allowing more scoring chances that most NHL teams. Brodeur was (a big) part of the Devils' system, Price was the sole reason the "system" worked like year.

Keep ignoring context and maybe the stats line you find on hockeydb will become the whole story. ;)

(*Parts of the system that put a greater pressure on Price: the poor breakout strategy ie chipping the puck off the glass or always trying the stretch pass, poor positioning in the defensive zone, giving up way too much space too the other teams' attacking players, etc).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Irrelevant. The Devils played a much better system.
Its not on the basis of games played, its on the basis of "stealing games for us"..

Marty Brodeur 2002-03 season, 73 games, 1706 shots against, 23.37 shots per game

There ya go.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
This league has too much parity, so you take any win you get against anyone and qualify it as a good win, especially on the road.

Going 4-0-0 (in regulation) on the road, including a stretch of 3 games in 4 nights, while only being clearly outplayed in one game is an impressive achievement any way you slice it.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

247 shots less to be exact. :)

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
'Thanks Gino' - Dan Bylsma
Sid didn't do all that much considering it was Malkin that won the Conn Smyth. But hey whos counting. Sid also didn't do much during the olympics, but he did scored the one goal that was most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad