Therrien - New Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Where are you getting that from? Sorry but it's not true. With the tenth best team save percentage in the league we'd have given up 32 more goals per game on average.

We had the best save percentage in the league. That doesn't really tell the whole story though because Price was by far the best individual goalie in the league. Tokarski played against the weak teams and still only came up with a .910 save percentage. Price finished at .933 but for most of the season was up around .937 and saved our ***** throughout much of the year.

False. If we look at 10th best save team save percentage then we'd give up 32 more goals.

If we had the 10th best starter instead of Price to go with Tokarski it would be even worse.

Someone had mentioned that if Price had 10th best Save% in league it would amount to 1 extra goal per 10 games....I didn't bother checking that fact though, took what he said as being true...my bad if it's wrong

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Someone had mentioned that if Price had 10th best Save% in league it would amount to 1 extra goal per 10 games....I didn't bother checking that fact though, took what he said as being true...my bad if it's wrong
He is incorrect.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Where are you getting that from? Sorry but it's not true. With the tenth best team save percentage in the league we'd have given up 32 more goals per game on average.

We had the best save percentage in the league. That doesn't really tell the whole story though because Price was by far the best individual goalie in the league. Tokarski played against the weak teams and still only came up with a .910 save percentage. Price finished at .933 but for most of the season was up around .937 and saved our ***** throughout much of the year.

False. If we look at 10th best save team save percentage then we'd give up 32 more goals.

If we had the 10th best starter instead of Price to go with Tokarski it would be even worse.

You're right. I was actually looking quickly at 5 on 5 numbers but even then it's 20 more goals. Wasn't really the point of the post initially but the information was wrong either way. Cheers.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Did you realize that, if the Habs had the 10th best goalie in the league, that would result in an extra goal against every 10 games or so? (By the way I'm just throwing out information - not arguing with you. Like I said, that's three doors down.)

Who was the 10th best goalie in the league?

If we go by SV% and a minimum 41 games then the 10th best is Varlamov at 0.921. Price faced 1953 shots, so using the 0.921 SV% that's 154 goals, 24 more than Price actually gave up which works out to an extra goal every 3.4 games, that's huge.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

If you keep it for Price only, everything being the same but SV%. (I take Rask's .922 here)

Price allows 22 more goals, over 66 games, that's 1 extra goal every 3 games.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You're right. I was actually looking quickly at 5 on 5 numbers but even then it's 20 more goals. Wasn't really the point of the post initially but the information was wrong either way. Cheers.
It's 32 goals if we use the difference in team save percentage. Again, this is ignoring the fact that Price carried the load. If we replace him and have Tokarski as our backup, it's worse esp since we gave Tokarski the easy matchups.

Nynja*

So 32 more goals over 82 games is two extra goals every 5 games. Lets run my previous numbers, about the record where we scored 1 goal in regulation: 13-14-2, or 28 points.
The important number here is the 13 wins and 2 pity points. Without knowing what the scores were in these games, I'm going to assume 5 more losses, and 1 more OTL. 13-14-2 becomes 7-19-3 (or 17 points), but more importantly, 110 points becomes 99 points, and with 99 points we may be a WC team (no, we'd still finish ahead of Ottawa based on record).

Theres the other 53 games where those extra two goals per 5 games would probably impact the standings, moving us from a WC team to a non-playoff team, but the effect of said goals would be most impactful in the aforementioned 29 games.

Once again, you can correct this by finding the scores of those games where we scored one goal or less in regulation and find a more suitable result.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Price obviously deserves a lot of credit. However, a goalie doesn't win the Vezina without a decent defence in front of him. Save% and GAA are team stats and goalie stats as any goalie will tell you. Again - not saying that Price doesn't play a big role. Looking at the playoffs, which is oft described as the only really important time of year, the Habs actually outshot Ottawa and TB by a wide margin. So, if that is the metric, then the Habs were the better team in the playoffs if not the regular season.

Again, I would agree to that if I didn't notice all the crappy defensive plays and structure during the games. To make sure I wasn't just nitpicking and focusing on a few select plays, I then observed basics and advanced stats, and they all backed up what I saw.
Just because we end up winning the game doesn't mean we actually played well, and that's what happened for the majority of the year, mostly thanks to Price.
So I disagree, we didn't play good defense. We were constantly chasing pucks, giving up the blue line, and out of position.

If you want to talk POs, then it's different. We owned Ottawa at first, but then sat back and resorted to poor play. Versus TB though we played quite well at ES.
The past two games this season too, we're playing better structure, and Therrien said they were changing some things. So people aren't wrong. We're not playing the same way at all. There's nothing wrong with calling him out on it.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If you keep it for Price only, everything being the same but SV%. (I take Rask's .922 here)

Price allows 22 more goals, over 66 games, that's 1 extra goal every 3 games.

That's a lot, especially with our offence last year

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Last year, our slow starts were Therrien's fault for not having the team ready.

I hope those same people can start giving him credit for fixing that issue to start this year seeing as we've led at the 1st intermission in all 4 games so far, something that took us 18 games to do once last year.

Nynja*

Therriens shown improvement in his coaching, you wont find many complaining thus far.

But like others have said:
"Its only 4 games into the season"

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Therriens shown improvement in his coaching, you wont find many complaining thus far.

But like others have said:
"Its only 4 games into the season"

And against bottom feeders aside from tonight.

People are cautiously optimistc. Just like Galchenyuks move back to wing last year, MT decisions can quickly revert to him of the past

Nynja*

Last year we were like 1-7-3 against lottery teams, so ill take that improvement too.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Last year we were like 1-7-3 against lottery teams, so ill take that improvement too.

What?

Against teams that finished in the bottom-10 (COL, SJS, CBJ, PHI, NJ, CAR, TOR, EDM, ARI, BUF): 20-5-3

Against teams that finished in the bottom-5 (CAR, TOR, EDM, ARI, BUF): 9-4-2

Nynja*

I was alluding to buf ari and edm. We lost out on atleast 12 easy easy easy points

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I was alluding to buf ari and edm. We lost out on atleast 12 easy easy easy points

We were 1-2-1 vs. BUF, 0-1-1 vs. EDM and 1-1-0 vs. ARI.

We got 6 out of potential 16 points. Good? No, but these were still NHL teams capable of winning the odd game, factoring in a team that most likely underestimated them or just simply didn't care enough.

Either way, the team looks different from the one last year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There are still flaws but that's normal, there will always be some as hockey is a game of errors. But we've been solid thus far except for the toronto game.
Hope this keeps up.

Nynja*

We were 1-2-1 vs. BUF, 0-1-1 vs. EDM and 1-1-0 vs. ARI.

We got 6 out of potential 16 points. Good? No, but these were still NHL teams capable of winning the odd game, factoring in a team that most likely underestimated them or just simply didn't care enough.

Either way, the team looks different from the one last year.

Without looking at the numbers i estimated 12 points lost, and it was actually 10. My bad, ill go commit sepukku.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
We are only four games into the season, but I like the way we are playing right now. Finally, Therrien seems to have stopped implementing much of what was holding this team back structurally and offensively.

If Therrien has truly worked on his weaknesses and adapted to this roster's strengths, that's good news for this team as that would make him a very good coach for this team considering his strengths (keeping the team hardworking, united, motivated) as a coach.

It's still too premature to expect such a drastic change from Therrien, but if he continues this current style of play and manages the line-up relatively the same as he is 25 games into the season, I will be very impressed.

I liked Therrien a lot in the shortened season because of our effective style of play until he altered it for the worse the next season. Hopefully, the 4 games so far this season is indicative of real change.

We have one of the better corsi ratings in the league so far this season. With Carey Price is net, a continuation of that would make this team scary.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
It is nice to see change, but I'm not confident DD won't end up on the top line after our first loss. Or to try and "spread the offense" which is always code word for DD isn't producing enough. Only changes I would make right now are swap DSP and Weise, and Gilbert out for Pateryn.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Is it me or the Canadiens are really playing a more 'fun' brand of hockey under MT this season? I know the sample size is small but, it kind of reminds me of the shortened season . We seem to be more aggressive, less dump and chase, more controlled O-zone enteries, etc. It's like MT & the coaching staff created a hybrid system that is a mix of the high octane shortened season one and the one we got used to seeing for the past 2 seasons.
The results so far are very good and very pleasing to watch for us fans ;)

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Is it me or the Canadiens are really playing a more 'fun' brand of hockey under MT this season? I know the sample size is small but, it kind of reminds me of the shortened season . We seem to be more aggressive, less dump and chase, more controlled O-zone enteries, etc. It's like MT & the coaching staff created a hybrid system that is a mix of the high octane shortened season one and the one we got used to seeing for the past 2 seasons.
The results so far are very good and very pleasing to watch for us fans ;)

Agreed. I haven't complained about MT since game 2 because of this. Fun and effective hockey with a great roster :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad