Therrien - New Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
MOD

You didn't counter any of the arguments I made and focused on what may have been a bit of an hyperbole. I guess you're stuck with one idea that you can't properly back up and just dismiss anything that goes against it. Whatever, I guess.

I have yet to see one argument to counter what I said (the system didn't help Price, in fact, it made his job harder). Good thing it looks different this year and has been more effective, even though the positioning in the D zone looks sloppy at times. Let's see what happens when we eventually hit our first rough patch of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Carry on.

William M. Jennings
Hart
Vezina
Ted Lindsay

It does look like Price helped the defense moreso than the defense helped him. You're free to disagree with everyone who voted for him though.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
You didn't counter any of the arguments I made and focused on what may have been a bit of an hyperbole. I guess you're stuck with one idea that you can't properly back up and just dismiss anything that goes against it. Whatever, I guess.

I have yet to see one argument to counter what I said (the system didn't help Price, in fact, it made his job harder). Good thing it looks different this year and has been more effective, even though the positioning in the D zone looks sloppy at times. Let's see what happens when we eventually hit our first rough patch of the year.

Ive stated what happened last season in the playoffs. Our D played terrible in front of Price. Individual players making individually dumb and stupid plays that cost us goals.

But that's hockey. It's a fast paced game requiring split second decision making. It sucked for the Habs that our Top 4, including the Norris nominated Subban, made poor decisions.

That's not on the coach. Anywhere. That is on the players. It happens a lot and in every game. But here in this forum, the Therrien axe must be ground for whatever reason. The same song and dance that we endured being a top team in the East is being repeated as we continue to be a top team in the East.

One of the reasons we are looking better is Petry is now better acclimated to playing in Montreal. Emelin is back to hitting. Beaulieu has more experience. Markov is fresh and PK is PK. That's not a system change. That is simply a reality of what is happening.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
William M. Jennings
Hart
Vezina
Ted Lindsay

It does look like Price helped the defense moreso than the defense helped him. You're free to disagree with everyone who voted for him though.

We saw what a superstar goalie can and cannot do when the DMen in front of him play poor positional hockey as they did against the Bolts.

Not even a superstar goalie can overcome that.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Ive stated what happened last season in the playoffs. Our D played terrible in front of Price. Individual players making individually dumb and stupid plays that cost us goals.

But that's hockey. It's a fast paced game requiring split second decision making. It sucked for the Habs that our Top 4, including the Norris nominated Subban, made poor decisions.

That's not on the coach. Anywhere. That is on the players. It happens a lot and in every game. But here in this forum, the Therrien axe must be ground for whatever reason. The same song and dance that we endured being a top team in the East is being repeated as we continue to be a top team in the East.

One of the reasons we are looking better is Petry is now better acclimated to playing in Montreal. Emelin is back to hitting. Beaulieu has more experience. Markov is fresh and PK is PK. That's not a system change. That is simply a reality of what is happening.

Not again...

Our 6 losts...

FINAL: MTL (0) - OTT (1)
FINAL: OTT (5) - MTL (1)
FINAL: TBL (2) - MTL (1) OT
FINAL: TBL (6) - MTL (2)
FINAL: MTL (1) - TBL (2)
FINAL: MTL (1) - TBL (4)

Dems Ds are so bad...:shakehead

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
We saw what a superstar goalie can and cannot do when the DMen in front of him play poor positional hockey as they did against the Bolts.

Not even a superstar goalie can overcome that.

why would they do that ? all they had to do is follow the game plan. No reason for them to play poorly.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
For the millionth time, we outscored TB at ES. They screwed us on Special teams. That's on the coaches.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
For the millionth time, we outscored TB at ES. They screwed us on Special teams. That's on the coaches.

And for the millionth time, even when there is special teams play on a PK, a DMan still has to make a decision positionally.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Not again...

Our 6 losts...

FINAL: MTL (0) - OTT (1)
FINAL: OTT (5) - MTL (1)
FINAL: TBL (2) - MTL (1) OT
FINAL: TBL (6) - MTL (2)
FINAL: MTL (1) - TBL (2)
FINAL: MTL (1) - TBL (4)

Dems Ds are so bad...:shakehead

I am talking about the series against the Bolts. Not sure why you included games against Ottawa...

If you lose a game 1-0 (or a game by one goal) and that ONE goal is a result of poor play by the D, does that game carry less relevance/importance/weight than a game that you lost by 5 goals?
(mod)

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'd take that bet, I have strong doubts about all 3 teams. Let alone all 3 making it.

Deal.

I'll bookmark this post. Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Boston will make the playoffs. I say yes for all three. You say not all three.

We can work out a deal involving avatars. If you win, I will add to my avatar that "Des Louise is the smartest poster on HFBoards" or something like that.:D

Nynja*

I am talking about the series against the Bolts. Not sure why you included games against Ottawa...

If you lose a game 1-0 (or a game by one goal) and that ONE goal is a result of poor play by the D, does that game carry less relevance/importance/weight than a game that you lost by 5 goals?

No need to answer that question. I know I cannot change your mind nor do I care to. I simply want to let it be known that there are Habs fans who do not default to blaming Therrien for every loss or misfortune.

Except thats not a matter of losing by "one goal", they were losing games by putting up only one goal. Thats not on the D

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/le-ch-doit-rester-humble-croit-therrien-1.2651818

Hard not to like this coach after watching that video. Everything he said about this season and past ones are exactly what I thought about the coaching staff and this organization. The reasons for playing the way they were playing in the past and why they are playing the way they're playing now is all explained in this video.

everything sounds good and makes perfect sense on the back of a nice winning streak... it's much more telling to see what both coaches/players are saying while stuck in the depth of a bad losing streak.

history has shown a tendency to point fingers and selectively call out players, and for players to directly or indirectly show their disdain for the approach.

hopefully (however unlikely it may be), the team never drops more than 2-3 in a row all year, and we can be treated to a season's worth of positive pressers and collective pats on the back/"i told you Da System works" ... just win baby!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
everything sounds good and makes perfect sense on the back of a nice winning streak... it's much more telling to see what both coaches/players are saying while stuck in the depth of a bad losing streak.

history has shown a tendency to point fingers and selectively call out players, and for players to directly or indirectly show their disdain for the approach.

hopefully (however unlikely it may be), the team never drops more than 2-3 in a row all year, and we can be treated to a season's worth of positive pressers and collective pats on the back/"i told you Da System works" ... just win baby!
One thing we've got going for us this season is that we play in a dreadful division. Actually, the East in general looks terrible. And that will help us greatly in the standings as well as in the playoffs.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

What cost us the series against Tampa was missing a bunch of chances, a ton of them ending up on goal posts. The difference between a goal and a post is half an inch usually.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

When has he "pointed the finger" at individual players?

If they hated his approach the team would not have played as well and keep growing with him the last 3 years.

Fans only see the press conferences and jump to conclusions based on that. A lot of that perception sounds false.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And for the millionth time, even when there is special teams play on a PK, a DMan still has to make a decision positionally.

You know it would help if you actually followed the discussion and read posts.

So again.
If our Dmen struggled with positions on the PK, which is actually an easier situation for position seeing how you just stay in the box and block angles/lanes keeping guys to the perimeter without worrying about a transition game, then they would have had a much worse time at ES.

And even if you were right, they had 6 games to fix it and couldn't.
You also completely ignore the other half of Special teams and how the PP failed for 2 years. Good job!

Our special teams failing is on the coaches. They couldn't adapt.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

If they hated his approach the team would not have played as well and keep growing with him the last 3 years.

Fans only see the press conferences and jump to conclusions based on that. A lot of that perception sounds false.

When?? Euhh...after pretty much every freaking loss he says the players didn't execute.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Jiri Sekac.

Lars Eller.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Certainly good to hear there has been a change in philosophy going into this season and they are willing to attack more and be more aggressive.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=783262&navid=nhl:topheads

"We're working a lot more on puck possession," Therrien said. "You can't forget we have some different players. You look at a guy like [Alexander] Semin, the fact we put [Alex] Galchenyuk at center because we think he's ready, and he's doing a really good job, [Tomas] Fleischmann, the maturity of our young players like [Nathan] Beaulieu, all that works together.

"It's not that we didn't want to last season, but we hadn't reached that step yet as a team. Every year you have to consider the maturity of your team, there are a lot of things to take into consideration. So we think we've reached another level, and the players are very receptive to it."

The principal tactical change Therrien and his staff have instituted is activating the defense on almost every rush up the ice, adding a fourth player to the attack when the Canadiens hit the opposing blue line. The biggest impact of that change, captain Max Pacioretty said, is it creates space for the Canadiens to cross the blue line with control of the puck.

In the past, the Canadiens largely relied on chipping the puck behind the defense and retrieving it in the offensive zone, an option that works about as often as it doesn't. Carrying the puck has been proven to create more scoring opportunities over the long haul, and that's what the Canadiens have been able to do.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad