Therrien - New Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Please explain your post:

-terrible positioning
-horrible breakouts
-overuse of the long stretch pass
-constantly give up the blueline to our opponents
-constant cycling until we pretty much lose the puck

Please please please explain how we do these 5 horrible things and end up with this record:

12-13 2nd in the east

13-14 100 pts

14-15 110 pts

13-14 Conference finals

14-15 dominating the best east team in the 2nd round

I already know your answer btw: Carey Price.

Yes it's because of Carey Price if we outplayed Tampa 5 on 5.

You pretty much have half the answer, even if you refuse to see it.

The talents on the ice mitigate the lack of competences behind the bench. In that talent pool, Price is the main contributor to the team's success.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
The talents on the ice mitigate the lack of competences behind the bench. In that talent pool, Price is the main contributor to the team's success.

You're talking like the Habs have so much talent lol....

In terms of talent, the Habs are in the middle of the pack in the league. This is called being objective. Fans have zero objectivity.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
You're talking like the Habs have so much talent lol....

In terms of talent, the Habs are in the middle of the pack in the league. This is called being objective. Fans have zero objectivity.

Coming from you it's not surprising... Since the roster go from suckings to not suckings depending if it serve your narrative to have them sucks or not.

All of this is moot, since YOU DON'T NEED A TOP OF THE LINE ROSTER to have a well structured team on the ice.

But anyways, Flip-flopping is a wonderful things.

I mean this is just too much, so Price is alone huh?

Price doesn't have 18 teammates in front of him huh?

Subban didn't get nominated for the Norris huh?

Pacio didn't score 37 goals while finishing first in the league for +/- huh?

The Habs only rely on the goalie all the time huh?

In the first Habs victory, the Habs relied on Price, on Subban, on Pacio with 2 goals, on Galch with the game winning goal.

They relied on 4 of their best players.

So the Habs only rely on the goalie huh???????????

Whats next? the others team have 12 stars forwards, 6 Norris caliber Dmans and 2 world class goalies on their roster?

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
You want to argue that the Habs have average talent compared to other teams?

You need hockey knowledge to be objective.

I said the Habs also rely on Pacio, Subban and Galch to win, I never said anything about being the most talented team in the league.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Coming from you it's not surprising... Since the roster go from suckings to not suckings depending if it serve your narrative to have them sucks or not.

And this is yet another completely dishonest assumption. I said "the Habs are in the middle of the pack in the league", I never said the roster sucked.

You guys really need to lie to prove your point?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

I said the Habs also rely on Pacio, Subban and Galch to win, I never said anything about being the most talented team in the league.

I guess that's where you list the 7 or 8 teams in the East who happen to have a better roster than we do.

Should be easy, we are average, you have "hockey knowledge" and you are objective.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Go ahead, do it yourself, here's a list of the 16 teams in the east, classify in terms of talent:

who's the top 3-4
who's in the middle of the pack
who's the bottom 3-4

Boston Bruins
Tampa Bay Lightning
Montreal Canadiens
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Washington Capitals
New Jersey Devils
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Carolina Hurricanes
New York Islanders
Florida Panthers
Buffalo Sabres

In the West, there's 3 teams that missed the playoffs last year that are more talented than the Habs

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Go ahead, do it yourself, here's a list of the 16 teams in the east, classify in terms of talent:

who's the top 3-4
who's the bottom 3-4

Boston Bruins
Tampa Bay Lightning
Montreal Canadiens
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Washington Capitals
New Jersey Devils
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Carolina Hurricanes
New York Islanders
Florida Panthers
Buffalo Sabres

In the West, there's 3 teams that missed the playoffs last year that are more talented than the Habs

Sorry man but they missed the playoff... So out... LA worst then hab... That it... It:s beings said... And it's the only true cause it's happens

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Where's the guy who was saying that Therrien is killing the creativity of some of his best players, we haven't see him in a while.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I actually don't make up my mind based on shot differential or wins. I make up my mind based on eye test. But what I see on the ice and believe has very little relevance if not backed up by any metrics. There's obviously a metric that backs up my beliefs and it's the ultimate one : wins. Both in the regular season and playoffs (we figure well in playoffs wins over the past 2 season).

But yes, it's true that so far we haven't done the job in the playoffs. I want us to win the cup like everyone else. The results we have gotten in the playoffs so far have been decent, but certainly not great. I want greatness too. But for most teams it doesn't happen overnight. For it to happen we're going to need a bit more from everyone including the coach and GM. But it doesn't mean that everyone sucks. We're improving every year.

yet you can't help but find every excuses in the book to defend the coach...

NO EXCUSES, ring a bell ??

studDUGY

Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Therrien has been coaching great since last years' playoffs honestly... Even for Corsi fanboys, numbers are staggering.

Now, the PP is a huge problem, but even that isn't really his fault. I'm cutting him some slack for the time being.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Please explain your post:

-terrible positioning
-horrible breakouts
-overuse of the long stretch pass
-constantly give up the blueline to our opponents
-constant cycling until we pretty much lose the puck

Please please please explain how we do these 5 horrible things and end up with this record:

12-13 2nd in the east

13-14 100 pts

14-15 110 pts

13-14 Conference finals

14-15 dominating the best east team in the 2nd round

I already know your answer btw: Carey Price.

Yes it's because of Carey Price if we outplayed Tampa 5 on 5.

Not just Price no. Price was beyond any doubt the biggest and most contributing factor. Then there's Subban-Markov, Patches, Plekanec, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, you know, our talent. There's also the fact we haven't suffered that many key injuries during the seasons. That's why we finished with as many points. It's definitely not because of some savvy structured system.

You like to reference how we ''dominated'' TB. You're also an objective and knowledgeable poster right? So, were you not able to notice how the way we played versus them was completely different than how we played in the regular season?
Heck, even Therrien said it during a presser before the TB series. That they were going to work on things during practice to adapt to TB. He was running possession zone entrance drills in practice.

Just take tonight, did you watch the game? It wasn't perfect, no game ever will be, but we were much better. We dictated the play, carried the puck way more, outchanced them, outshot them, and made them chase us pretty much the whole night. That's how we should play. That's not how we played for the past two years. Still have some issues, like how Galchenyuk didn't even crack 14 minutes tonight, and his line was by far our best one, that doesn't make much sense.
Hopefully tonight was a sign of things to come though and it wasn't because we faced arguably one of the worst teams in the NHL.

When we are the ones chasing the puck, we scramble and breakdown a lot. That doesn't mean we'll lose. That's because teams are going to battle very hard to score 2 goals on Price. He's going to give the team a chance to win pretty much every single night. That's what happened the last two years.

:biglaugh: And you are this knowledgeable objective person?..Good one.

who's the top 3-4
who's the bottom 3-4

Boston Bruins
Tampa Bay Lightning
Montreal Canadiens
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Washington Capitals
New Jersey Devils
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Carolina Hurricanes
New York Islanders
Florida Panthers
Buffalo Sabres

How was Mtl not in the top 4 in the East??..Mtl-TB-NYR-Pitts. Top 4 in the East. There is no doubt about it. Who else do you think was better than the Habs last year?

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Therrien has been coaching great since last years' playoffs honestly... Even for Corsi fanboys, numbers are staggering.

Now, the PP is a huge problem, but even that isn't really his fault. I'm cutting him some slack for the time being.

We played like crap versus Toronto, but tonight was good.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Actually When he flip flopped DD and LE ice time is when we sucked in the post season, now that eller has decent wingers/center and is getting some better ice time and a bit more PP we are seeing what MOST OF US said all year long last year..more eller and chucky less DD. DD good player on the third, but shouldn't be getting 18 minutes a game with patches. So no not coaching the same at all in fact.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It's great to see Eller further integrated as part of the team.

I'm torn. On the one hand I want Eller to stay in top 6 on the other hand we can't go into the playoffs with our 3rd line bleeding scoring chances. We are going to get exposed. Many are saying this is Eller's break out year. I disagree. He broke out in 2012-13 and 2014 playoffs. He's just been buried in the Dzone with ****** linemates ever since. I just know that if he goes back to #3c the coach will just bury him again. He already tried to take Eller off the PP after one game. ONE game!

I also don't see Therrien doing a lot of line juggling this year as I don't see any other working line combinations. Plekanec sadly is a shoot first center and not the type that will make his wingers better. Max has proven that he can play with anyone and carry a line all by himself. It's not that Eller can't play LW. It's that he didn't look good on Plek's wing but then again neither did Chucky last year. It's amazing how much better Eller looks playing LW alongside better linemates and how dominating Chucky is at C.

Once again DD continues to struggle at FO at only 38%. Chucky also with a rough night at only 29%. Eller at 62%. :amazed: Eller FO% prowess is being wasted on the wing and Chucky will need to learn how to take faceoffs which he should have been doing last year which is what people fail to understand when they say but Chucky wasn't ready blablaba. Would Chucky have been ready if he had been told by management last offseason that he was going to be center the way they did this offseason?

I strongly believe that moving Galchenyuk to C did not come from Therrien. I think that Molson had a huge hand in that. If you're the owner of a team, wouldn't you want your best horses running the race?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I highly doubt Molson involves himself in on ice decision making.
The idea probably stemmed from the post season debrief.
It finally dawned on everybody that you can't shelter a top 6 player in the playoffs.
I don't even think you can shelter a top 9 but thats just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad