Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Well if this gets sorted and Varlamov is exonerated, which I presume we all hope for, it's reassuring that the coach and (presumably) the players support him and there's nothing damaged there.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Sakic doesn't make any personnel decisions for the Nuggets. Sakic has a squeaky-clean image that he probably wants to protect.

If Varlamov is cleared of charges but Sakic still decides to get rid of him because of his tarnished image then I'm sorry, but Sakic needs to go. Not that I think this will happen because I have faith that Varly will be cleared of charges and return to form and his image will be fixed soon afterward

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
For those who don't get Dater's tweets-

Ryan Parker ‏@ryanparkerdp 32m
RT @danielpetty: We have a visting Russian journalist for three weeks who is retranslating the #Varlamov girlfriend video. Stay tuned.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why are Denver Post writers that have no idea what hockey is and write about the Broncos, starting to write about the Avs? I don't see Dater writing about that potsmoker Broncos player (forgot his name) who was suspended 6 games or something like that.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Her story is obviously BS from the accounts we've gotten through our dependable and fair media outlets, so there's really no point to going through a judiciary review and look at any real evidence. After all, she's not even a citizen here yet so she has no rights.

:sarcasm:

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
Her story is obviously BS from the accounts we've gotten through our dependable and fair media outlets, so there's really no point to going through a judiciary review and look at any real evidence. After all, she's not even a citizen here yet so she has no rights.

:sarcasm:

I'm not really understanding your posts. You're hovering around trolling on all of the Varlamov threads but I don't think you understand what we're saying.

No one that I'm seeing is saying that she has no rights because she's not a citizen or that we don't want the trial to happen, or that the story is obviously BS. We're expressing our *opinion* which is that the story is fishy and that we have our doubts about it.

We all still want the trial to happen, for the truth to come out, and for him to be punished harshly if, in fact, he did do it. Your sarcastic troll posts are unnecessary. I have my doubts about her story and I really hope he's innocent (not just for the team but also because it would mean that someone wasn't beaten and traumatized) and I'm looking forward to the trial and seeing the truth come out, either way.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For those who don't get Dater's tweets-

Ryan Parker ‏@ryanparkerdp 32m

And yet the Post still has their headline up about Varly laughing while beating her, even though that reportedly was never said.

Professionalism to a tee with the Post. Write a juicy story, and worry about what was actually said later.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
And yet the Post still has their headline up about Varly laughing while beating her, even though that reportedly was never said.

Professionalism to a tee with the Post. Write a juicy story, and worry about what was actually said later.

Yeah, the Post should be ashamed, IMO.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

The DP is an absolute disgrace. They just want an attention grabbing headline. They don't care at all about credibility.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
The Denver Post sucks. Even if Varly is found innocent which looks more likely everyday he will still have a tarnished image. Some people will never let their negative opinions about him go.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Denver Post sucks. Even if Varly is found innocent which looks more likely everyday he will still have a tarnished image. Some people will never let their negative opinions about him go.

I think that is partly playing into the victim's whole plan.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

I think was certainly part of the intent in going public for Varlamov's girlfriend. Many of the articles I have seen are already stating it as a fact that Varly did what she accused him of doing. The comments on said articles likewise are the same. Even if Varlamov is completely cleared, you can bet those papers and websites won't be making a big deal out of it or apologizing. They'll just sweep it under the rug. Regardless of what happened, Varlamov's reputation will still be questioned or brought up by others.

Jeff_Dyck_#1

Est. MMII
Apr 11, 2005
HF since 1998
First interview with an Russian television outlet. :shakehead

14t7qz8.jpg

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I have a question about DV -- as I understand it, the cycle is about keeping the woman under control, and she fears leaving, right? Do abusers commonly kick the woman out? I thought it was the other way around, the abuser is trying to keep her there and under his thumb. But being kicked out seemed to be what really set her off.

It is reported that they have been on and off over some years, so I could envision, IF THESE ALLEGATIONS ARE TRUE, that he hurts her, they break up, he apologizes, she returns, rinse and repeat. Ok, that could happen. But this isn't the classic pattern of abuse, guilt, apology, woman never leaves due to fear and hope that he will change. This girl appears to have been around the world a few times during the entire relationship, and then HE kicks her out. Thus, she is free to go, but keeps returning?

Is this also an accepted pattern of DV?

You've pretty much hit the pattern usually the aggressor (guy or girl) wants control over the submissive. The abuser really does whatever they want, be it physical abuse, throwing someone out etc, but since they have a control aspect over the submissive person, they usually just stay complacent or return home after the classic apology.

But to be honest there really isn't one or two "patterns" of DV, it really manifests in lots of different ways, so hypothetically your 2nd scenario could be valid. The reason I have so many issues with this case is because it reeks of someone who is looking to take advantage of the system and make a few bucks. I'd say in 95% of the cases I've seen, there is at least some sign of physical abuse. This girl had none or couldn't produce any signs. Her stories keep escalating, usually in a DV situation usually the stories don't escalate and there is a similar type of abuse going on with every instance. In this case she says he kicked me, he tried to drown me, he threw me against the wall. Most cases of DV, the type of abuse is usually the same because the aggressor knows it works.

I don't know, I just get frustrated with the DV system, as there are many people who abuse it. And what really sucks is if Varly gets cleared of any wrong doing, it doesn't matter because his reputation is already destroyed. Varly is literally in a no win situation at this point of time.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
You've pretty much hit the pattern usually the aggressor (guy or girl) wants control over the submissive. The abuser really does whatever they want, be it physical abuse, throwing someone out etc, but since they have a control aspect over the submissive person, they usually just stay complacent or return home after the classic apology.

But to be honest there really isn't one or two "patterns" of DV, it really manifests in lots of different ways, so hypothetically your 2nd scenario could be valid. The reason I have so many issues with this case is because it reeks of someone who is looking to take advantage of the system and make a few bucks. I'd say in 95% of the cases I've seen, there is at least some sign of physical abuse. This girl had none or couldn't produce any signs. Her stories keep escalating, usually in a DV situation usually the stories don't escalate and there is a similar type of abuse going on with every instance. In this case she says he kicked me, he tried to drown me, he threw me against the wall. Most cases of DV, the type of abuse is usually the same because the aggressor knows it works.

I don't know, I just get frustrated with the DV system, as there are many people who abuse it. And what really sucks is if Varly gets cleared of any wrong doing, it doesn't matter because his reputation is already destroyed. Varly is literally in a no win situation at this point of time.

The only reason for her to bring up past incidents is to hurt his public image, correct? There will be no evidence of these incidents, she is not charging him in any of those incidents, and they will be thrown out of court.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Lifenews is the biggest yellow site in Russia.

They are willing to pay big money for an exclusive interview in the most noisy, dirty stories.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm not really understanding your posts. You're hovering around trolling on all of the Varlamov threads but I don't think you understand what we're saying.

No one that I'm seeing is saying that she has no rights because she's not a citizen or that we don't want the trial to happen, or that the story is obviously BS. We're expressing our *opinion* which is that the story is fishy and that we have our doubts about it.

We all still want the trial to happen, for the truth to come out, and for him to be punished harshly if, in fact, he did do it. Your sarcastic troll posts are unnecessary. I have my doubts about her story and I really hope he's innocent (not just for the team but also because it would mean that someone wasn't beaten and traumatized) and I'm looking forward to the trial and seeing the truth come out, either way.

Not trolling at all. Keeping quite the open mind actually. But most folks on here have already made up the decision that Varly is innocent, which is ok because it's innocence until proven guilty, but their judgements are based off things they are hearing in the media. I'd just say that it's naive to think that the media really presents the full circle of facts here, and that Varlamov probably has a lot more power, money, and support through both the media and being in sports than this girl who just came to the US, knows nobody, and really has no education as to how things work here. She is in a completely different world trying to navigate the judicial system against the powerful engine of sports media empowered by fans who seem to just care if Varly is going to suit up and be back on the ice Friday or Saturday night, whichever is sooner.

I'm not saying Varlamov is guilty either - but give this case time to evolve and the girl a chance before you can so easily make judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad