Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I can't imagine Varlamov ever accepting a plea bargain that would mean a risk of deportation. No upside to that, seeing as this case seems very unlikely to result in jail time.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I can't imagine Varlamov ever accepting a plea bargain that would mean a risk of deportation. No upside to that, seeing as this case seems very unlikely to result in jail time.

Well he's already at 3rd degree assault, it's hard to imagine a lesser offense that would be deportable.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
This is all about politics and money. The only reason they are charging Varly with this small misdemeanor is for him to pay fines and for government to make money.

Varly isn't the only one. Anyone with any small accusations will get charged for it to pay fines.

I knew Tim Thomas was living in Colorado, but I hadn't figured he'd become an Avs fan.

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
This is NOT a deportable offense. Don't care what any immigration lawyer tells you. It's 2 years and up PLUS if its a crime of moral turpitude (stealing, forgery, etc.)... As I have stated before: kidnapping is off the table (since I can not and will not provide the source, that post had to be deleted). Can he plea to smth less? Yes, drunk and disorderly conduct (fine/community service, etc.). Will he? I HIGHLY doubt it.

I do not want to say that I know for a fact and trust me on this, just take it for what it is: for some reason, I AM, 99% sure that he will not take ANY deal, nor will he plea to anything (yes, circumstances do change), he will pursue his innocence. Also, he will NOT pay the girl to go away, unless ordered by the Court... Again, this is just MY hunch! :naughty:;)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The conspiracy theories around here are pretty hilarious, I have to admit.

It can't be that one charge is still advancing because there is evidence that may prove beyond reasonable doubt, and that the other charges did not contain the same extent of evidence......Because then I'd be referring to the silly laws that we all live under. And oh yeah, the Denver DA's office just has all kinds of money to throw at this, since it's sure to cost more than your typical traffic offense with media control and an assortment of expected delaying appeals/motions from the defense. Lastly, the government is flush with money these days and always looking to put more people into our overcrowded jails.

I remember a few years ago the masses on this board wanted (and most still do) Todd Bertuzzi to go to jail for assaulting Moore on the ice. But since this chick is a bimbo and the goalie is on our side, everything is good in the neighborhood right? Or is it only assault when someone breaks their neck and becomes a quadriplegic for life - otherwise no harm no foul?

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
The conspiracy theories around here are pretty hilarious, I have to admit.

It can't be that one charge is still advancing because there is evidence that may prove beyond reasonable doubt, and that the other charges did not contain the same extent of evidence......Because then I'd be referring to the silly laws that we all live under. And oh yeah, the Denver DA's office just has all kinds of money to throw at this, since it's sure to cost more than your typical traffic offense with media control and an assortment of expected delaying appeals/motions from the defense. Lastly, the government is flush with money these days and always looking to put more people into our overcrowded jails.

I remember a few years ago the masses on this board wanted (and most still do) Todd Bertuzzi to go to jail for assaulting Moore on the ice. But since this chick is a bimbo and the goalie is on our side, everything is good in the neighborhood right? Or is it only assault when someone breaks their neck and becomes a quadriplegic for life - otherwise no harm no foul?

3rd degree assault is really nothing though. (compared to that)

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Not for these folks...
nightcourt22.JPG

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Harry.
Harry who?
Harry up and get me outa' here!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Varly should be cheaper to resign after these shenanigans.

Haha, the ultimate silver lining.

BTW, I don't know why they are even floating this idea of deportation. That just sounds like another example of sensationalism and a lack of professionalism from the Denver Post. The same reason they have Kiszla and Dater, and the same reason they went mega public with a translation from the layer's on her "story."

How the hell could someone with the clout of Varlamov in Russia get deported for a 3rd degree misdemeanor charge even if he was convicted, which I highly doubt given his legal team. If they had to drop all of this down to a 3rd degree misdemeanor, that means they don't have much, and that means Varly's legal team will probably have a field day with this.

I just hope when it's all done there isn't that lingering feeling like something might have happened, but we'll never know. I hope some stuff gets out that proves she's full of crap.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
BTW, I don't know why they are even floating this idea of deportation. That just sounds like another example of sensationalism and a lack of professionalism from the Denver Post.

It's not - here's a clip from the Michigan bar, but keep in mind the USCIS is a federal program so the rules are the same all over the US.

Also, every site like this has a "you need to contact an immigration/domestic violence lawyer immediately!" slant to the website. So there may be possible leeway there.

Domestic violence convictions are deportable, but not inadmissible offenses. Thus a standard, routine domestic violence conviction for a permanent resident green card holder can and will result in deportation from the United States regardless of whether this crime is taken under advisement pursuant to the applicable Michigan19 or local statutes.20 For that reason, attorneys representing aliens should avoid pleading their clients to any charge of domestic violence. Disorderly conduct or a like conviction is preferable because it is not the type of crime that automatically makes the alien deportable. These convictions can, however, be considered if there are multiple convictions.

The deportation provision for domestic violence also applies to crimes involving stalking, as well as violation of a Personal Protection Order (PPO).21 While PPOs are not necessarily criminal in nature, an alien found in violation of a PPO is subject to deportation.

Varlamov to my knowledge is not a green card holder, so he may have even less rights - I think he's on a work visa.

My thing is - if he takes a plea bargain, does he just go home to Russia and play for more money? I mean does the guy really have much to lose here anyhow?

Relaxedriley

Slightly Sober
Mar 1, 2012
Oregon
Bonzai is either the biggest pessimist in the world or.... Something. If Varly/his attorney think he is at risk of deportation they could easily plead down to an even lesser charge than hurting someone to the point they say "Oww."

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bonzai is either the biggest pessimist in the world or.... Something. If Varly/his attorney think he is at risk of deportation they could easily plead down to an even lesser charge than hurting someone to the point they say "Oww."

He could be deported even if he pleads down.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What lesser charge is likely to get him deported? Especially with a decent lawyer.?

No idea. I just remember when that one lawyer went on The Fan in Denver, he said even a plea bargain could result in him being deported because he's in the US on a work Visa. He might have only been talking about domestic violence charges though.

Relaxedriley

Slightly Sober
Mar 1, 2012
Oregon
No idea. I just remember when that one lawyer went on The Fan in Denver, he said even a plea bargain could result in him being deported because he's in the US on a work Visa.

Maybe, but at that time he was arrested under suspicion of felony kidnapping as well as the charge he is now facing.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I remember a few years ago the masses on this board wanted (and most still do) Todd Bertuzzi to go to jail for assaulting Moore on the ice.

This is a fairly absurd comparison. That was a case where everyone had a video of the assault and even quotes from Canucks players giving a strong indication it was a premeditated attack. There was not much unknown about the case for which people should reserve judgement.

We have absolutely no confirmed or accurate information about the Varlamov case. No one should be making assumptions of guilt or innocence at all at this point.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
This is a fairly absurd comparison. That was a case where everyone had a video of the assault and even quotes from Canucks players giving a strong indication it was a premeditated attack. There was not much unknown about the case for which people should reserve judgement.

We have absolutely no confirmed or accurate information about the Varlamov case. No one should be making assumptions of guilt or innocence at all at this point.

Not to mention the victim's neck was broken, career was ended, and physical ability to work permanently impacted. As far as I've read, every aspect of the guy's life have been impacted and he will never be the same. Not sure Varlamov's actions brought about the same results as Bertuzzi's.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

Agreed and that helps argue my point - nobody should just assume Varlamov is getting off at this point because the girl didn't have two black eyes when she met the media the next day. The fact that the DA is even bringing along the case here points to the possibility that there's real evidence here, and that this isn't just a smear campaign or that the charges were an attempt to extort money.

If I was guessing I think Varlamov pleas to a lesser charge and most of this ends up being overhyped, but the DA's got at least something there to get the lesser charge. I'll be shocked if they let this end up in the hands of the jury. Honestly any possible subsequent deportation case is much larger and important than what happens here in Denver court.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Agreed and that helps argue my point - nobody should just assume Varlamov is getting off at this point because the girl didn't have two black eyes when she met the media the next day. The fact that the DA is even bringing along the case here points to the possibility that there's real evidence here, and that this isn't just a smear campaign or that the charges were an attempt to extort money.

I'd disagree that the charge is an indication of any level of evidence, an assumption that I don't think holds to the notion that no assumption of guilt or innocence should be made. The DA is in a tricky situation when they have someone making extremely troubling accusations against another person. If all they have is this person's word, they can't easily discount it. The charges filed are significantly less severe than the original accusations of brutal, repeated abuse and kidnapping. I don't think people should look too much into that either, but if you are going make an assumption about the fact that charges were filed, you probably should at least consider that as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's not - here's a clip from the Michigan bar, but keep in mind the USCIS is a federal program so the rules are the same all over the US.

Also, every site like this has a "you need to contact an immigration/domestic violence lawyer immediately!" slant to the website. So there may be possible leeway there.

Varlamov to my knowledge is not a green card holder, so he may have even less rights - I think he's on a work visa.

My thing is - if he takes a plea bargain, does he just go home to Russia and play for more money? I mean does the guy really have much to lose here anyhow?

Sure he could get deported, just like he could get the max two years or whatever it is. Neither of which will happen. Not sure why newspapers always have to make a big headline with the max punishments that no one ever gets.

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
I'd disagree that the charge is an indication of any level of evidence, an assumption that I don't think holds to the notion that no assumption of guilt or innocence should be made. The DA is in a tricky situation when they have someone making extremely troubling accusations against another person. If all they have is this person's word, they can't easily discount it. The charges filed are significantly less severe than the original accusations of brutal, repeated abuse and kidnapping. I don't think people should look too much into that either, but if you are going make an assumption about the fact that charges were filed, you probably should at least consider that as well.

Absolutely and always have the charges reflected what the DA's office can prove. ALWAYS! In addition to that, they are more likely to OVERCHARGE than undercharge an alleged crime. It is a given historical fact. In this situation, I think they actually charged what they think they can prove; they did not overcharge due to the notoriety of the individual involved. They do not want to look like idiots at the end of the day.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Absolutely and always have the charges reflected what the DA's office can prove. ALWAYS! In addition to that, they are more likely to OVERCHARGE than undercharge an alleged crime. It is a given historical fact. In this situation, I think they actually charged what they think they can prove; they did not overcharge due to the notoriety of the individual involved. They do not want to look like idiots at the end of the day.

That is true!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad