Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What do you suggest the DA do? Trump up some Felony charges? Charge him with kidnapping without any chance of convicting him of it? Drop all charges?

YES. Either charge him with an actual crime, or drop the charges. This is politics, plain and simple. The DA has a high-profile case and is simply throwing a softball to make it look like his office is actually doing something, but nothing that'll result in any meaningful punishment.

Basically, ****, or get off the pot.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
NHL says they're not going to take any action until the resolution of the charges. I'm guessing the Avs will say something similar or leave it to the NHL.

I don't really know how I feel about this now. If he was charged with something serious, I would want him suspended or away from the team until it gets resolved in court. But with this BS misdemeanor charge they gave him, it doesn't seem like much happened. Couldn't grabbing someone by the wrist or pushing them be a third degree assault? If she was physically assaulted and hurt, get him far away from the team and lock his ass up. But wouldn't there be more serious charges if that was the case?

Relaxedriley

Slightly Sober
Mar 1, 2012
Oregon
YES. Either charge him with an actual crime, or drop the charges. This is politics, plain and simple. The DA has a high-profile case and is simply throwing a softball to make it look like his office is actually doing something, but nothing that'll result in any meaningful punishment.

I kind of agree with you, if there isn't any real evidence of an assault no one should be charged. I'm just not sure this would be dropped regularly. Normal people are charged with crimes when there is minimal physical evidence and an accusation everyday. The difference is that it isn't in the news...and they rarely have the resources to defend themselves properly.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
8:30 pm seems a bit late for a court appearance...

Not for these folks...
nightcourt22.JPG

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago

I disagree. I think it better that they charge him with the assault and let it play out. After the attorney made the decision to make this a national news issue the DA is under the national eye. If it charges Varlamov with more than assault, many will see it as the typical greasy dealings of prosecutors. If it doesn't bring charges with the evidence it has then the national story is professional athlete gets special treatment, immigrant woman denied fundamental rights.

A played out legal process will also clear Varlamov's name more than the prosecutor announcing it decided not to bring charges. Short of a smoking gun that leads the prosecutor to believe no reasonable jury would find the girl credible, I think it's the right choice.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
But with this BS misdemeanor charge they gave him, it doesn't seem like much happened. Couldn't grabbing someone by the wrist or pushing them be a third degree assault? If she was physically assaulted and hurt, get him far away from the team and lock his ass up. But wouldn't there be more serious charges if that was the case?

Exactly. This means he grabbed her arm. The definition is negligence without intent to injure. The DA wants to charge as high as he possibly can. The fact that he didn't means there was no evidence of that at all. Plus the kidnapping thing was BS from the beginning to grab attention. They would have never been able to prove that from the beginning. He was arrested under a felony and now only charged with a misdemeanor, big difference.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Ryan Parker ‏@ryanparkerdp 35s
Immigration lawyer tells me #Varlamov's assault charge could be a deportable offense if deemed a crime of moral turpitude, if convicted.

Turpitude is a fantastic word.

Anyway, what happens now?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Also interesting they announced this Friday afternoon, not Monday morning at the beginning of the news cycle.

My guess Varly goes to his court date, they advise him of the charge and set a date for the next hearing months from now and the Avs go on about their business.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Turpitude is a fantastic word.

Anyway, what happens now?

With my extensive knowledge of Law & Order, I believe on December 2nd, this will be his arraignment.

The charges will be officially read to him, and he will either plead guilty or not guilty.

If he pleads not-guilty, the courts will set a future date for trial.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The complete ignorance of some fans on other teams boards is...disturbing. Apparently some people don't even understand the difference between getting charged with a crime and being found guilty of a crime :help:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
With my extensive knowledge of Law & Order, I believe on December 2nd, this will be his arraignment.

The charges will be officially read to him, and he will either plead guilty or not guilty.

If he pleads not-guilty, the courts will set a future date for trial.

Congratulations. You are half way towards being a lawyer.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I've asked Slava Malamund who is Russian sports writer if he has seen this interview of Vavryniyuk's friend. He is skeptical about this.

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud 12m

So, #Varlamov didn't kidnap Vavrinyuk from the Samara paradise to the hell hole of Denver? Today is full of surprises.

Andrzej Kubis ‏@raistlin76 5m

@SlavaMalamud Have you seen this interview with Vavrinyuk friend http://lifenews.ru/#!news/122947 Do you think it's legit?

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud 3m

@raistlin76 Yes, I've addressed this. LifeNews is a notorious tabloid. Haven't heard from this friend since. Grain of salt.

From his previous tweets I know he doesn't believe Varly is guilty, so I think we shouldn't treat this interview as real truth spoken by this girl real friend.

Nevertheless I don't think they will find him guilty at least for now it's difficult to believe they have proof of his guilt.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I've asked Slava Malamund who is Russian sports writer if he has seen this interview of Vavryniyuk's friend. He is skeptical about this.

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud 12m

So, #Varlamov didn't kidnap Vavrinyuk from the Samara paradise to the hell hole of Denver? Today is full of surprises.

Andrzej Kubis ‏@raistlin76 5m

@SlavaMalamud Have you seen this interview with Vavrinyuk friend http://lifenews.ru/#!news/122947 Do you think it's legit?

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud 3m

@raistlin76 Yes, I've addressed this. LifeNews is a notorious tabloid. Haven't heard from this friend since. Grain of salt.

From his previous tweets I know he doesn't believe Varly is guilty, so I think we shouldn't treat this interview as real truth spoken by this girl real friend.

Nevertheless I don't think they will find him guilty at least for now it's difficult to believe they have proof of his guilt.

Sure I liked hearing reading the interview from the friend, but I took with as much truth as I took the original allegations. All it is, is words.

If I didn't believe the girlfriend's story but believed her friend's interview, I would be a hypocrite.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Unless there are witnesses to the incident that prove to be reliable and corroborate the victim's story (like neighbors, people at the party, etc) I really doubt Varly is convicted of anything. Cases where it is he said vs she said are hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's ridiculous. We all know it's only 2013 years old :sarcasm:

Wrong again. The world is only 28, because that is how long I have been around. You all only exist because I choose put you in my reality.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Wrong again. The world is only 28, because that is how long I have been around. You all only exist because I choose put you in my reality.

Damn, I was close.

By the way, I have been meaning to thank you for choosing me to be put in your reality ;)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ryan Parker ‏@ryanparkerdp 2m
Lawyer: The answer to possible deportation for #Varlamov is complicated. Yes, if convicted of charge, he could be deported. #avalanche (1/3)

Immigration court is separate from criminal court. Assault charges fall into separate categorizes for immigration court. (2/3)

Immigration judge makes decision off court documents, not arrest report. Words such as "knowingly, negligently or reckless" are key. (3/3)

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This is all about politics and money. The only reason they are charging Varly with this small misdemeanor is for him to pay fines and for government to make money.

Varly isn't the only one. Anyone with any small accusations will get charged for it to pay fines.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
This is all about politics and money. The only reason they are charging Varly with this small misdemeanor is for him to pay fines and for government to make money.

Varly isn't the only one. Anyone with any small accusations will get charged for it to pay fines.

Yep. That's it.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad