OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 190: Terrorists, Wild Trout, Microbeers, and Stuff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I used to have permission to hunt a farm right around the corner from there.

I grew up in this general area so I know it like the back of my hand. There are still a ton of farms right in the area, though there's also a golf course and a few new housing developments.

bison meat is great but be careful grilling it - it's so lean it can dry out by the time it's medium-med/well. I like the steaks from it though - very rich flavor.

You have to cook it for much less time (and slightly lower temp if possible) than you do cow meat. A digital thermometer ($12 to $20) is a must, and it will come out perfect every time.

Hey guys random question, but what is the song that plays in the Prudential Center after they lose? It kinda sounds like the opening of "national anthem" by Lana del ray??

For several years it was "Walk On" by U2, a very good song that now like Pavlov's Dog gives me a cringe response whenever I hear it.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Soil temperatures are getting sooooooooooo close, the cicada racket is going to start within a week I bet.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Soil temperatures are getting sooooooooooo close, the cicada racket is going to start within a week I bet.

The fish aren't very receptive to cicadas right now...I tried casting them to feeding fish today in the Gorge. So I don't think they've seen them yet. It's still unbelievable cold for this time of year.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
It's gonna be one of those days where everyone complains about the cold and jokes about it being winter outside...Great.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
For starters, it was 70 degrees in the NYC area on St Patty's Day last year

It's hit 70 a handful of times in this area so far this year

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Yup. But I seriously can't remember a spring this cold.

I think there's a mental calendar that overrides the actual one and blocks out the weather that actually happened to a lot of people. Every year my dad and I go mushroom hunting late april/early may and it's always interrupted by some nasty cold rainy weather that makes us think it might snow and then my dad reminds me yet again that "It snowed on my birthday before (may 19th)" like 30 years ago and we curse the cold which somehow inhibits a good morel yield. This year we found about 15 or so but they were very large - about 7" average I'd say.

morel_mushroom_44.JPG

Then we have years like last year when it goes from winter directly into summer 80s and 90s temps and humid and ruins the nice cool days of spring that I enjoy immensely.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think there's a mental calendar that overrides the actual one and blocks out the weather that actually happened to a lot of people. Every year my dad and I go mushroom hunting late april/early may and it's always interrupted by some nasty cold rainy weather that makes us think it might snow and then my dad reminds me yet again that "It snowed on my birthday before (may 19th)" like 30 years ago and we curse the cold which somehow inhibits a good morel yield. This year we found about 15 or so but they were very large - about 7" average I'd say.

morel_mushroom_44.JPG

Then we have years like last year when it goes from winter directly into summer 80s and 90s temps and humid and ruins the nice cool days of spring that I enjoy immensely.

I think you are right about that.

I wish I knew more about mushrooms...I mean I can spot a morel but that is about it...A lot of my friends seem to be posting pictures of them recently. I've never looked for them.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I think you are right about that.

I wish I knew more about mushrooms...I mean I can spot a morel but that is about it...A lot of my friends seem to be posting pictures of them recently. I've never looked for them.

what to know:

they're delicious
they're hard to find
they're found in very secretive locations not shared by many

What I suggest is on your way back from fishing a location this time of year, walk a trail or venture into the woods in a remote section of woods and try to find spongy ground with many leaves and natural early groundcover starting to come up. Hard packed down dirt doesn't do it - but that soft (not muddy) spongy type of ground with just the right mix of natural grass, sunlight from above, protection from driving winds and maybe some very large older trees both standing and fallen down and decaying - that's a good target location to begin your search. Sides of hills also seem to make good prime real estate too - southern exposure usually. There's several colors - yellow, grey, black and they seem to come up at different times. Check out some website for reports on what they're finding in your region. http://www.morels.com/forums/forum/new-jersey/

There's as many theories about what to look for as there are people who hunt but the common denominator I've found is ground covered in leaves and soft soil. My personal theory is an early warm and wet week in early April with no hard frost after combined with several nice rain falls and a little humidity makes the perfect conditions for a big year. Warm, moist, etc... somehow catalyzes the process much like a greenhouse. The biggest find I ever had was the side of a hill in the middle of a rain shower. I actually slipped and slid down the hill and when I looked back up to see my track, the leaves were ripped away from the ground and a bunch of mushrooms were there sticking up. We just lifted up leaves from that point on to find them underneath and probably netted 3-4 bag fulls.

When you find them, there's a picker's code to cut them off and leave the bottom of the base still in the ground and to use a potato bag to carry them so the spores will fall back to the ground as you walk around and hopefully make for another crop next year. Whether this has any legit science behind it I have no idea.

Once back home, soak them in water overnight and salt them to drive little bugs and critter out of the folds. Rinse well and let air dry or paper towel pat to the point they're well, about the same as mushrooms you'd buy in a store - moist but not wet or too dry. Sautee or light pan fried are my favorite preps. Salt and pepper with some butter and you have a great side for a steak, burger, chop, etc.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
what to know:

they're delicious
they're hard to find
they're found in very secretive locations not shared by many

What I suggest is on your way back from fishing a location this time of year, walk a trail or venture into the woods in a remote section of woods and try to find spongy ground with many leaves and natural early groundcover starting to come up. Hard packed down dirt doesn't do it - but that soft (not muddy) spongy type of ground with just the right mix of natural grass, sunlight from above, protection from driving winds and maybe some very large older trees both standing and fallen down and decaying - that's a good target location to begin your search. Sides of hills also seem to make good prime real estate too - southern exposure usually. There's several colors - yellow, grey, black and they seem to come up at different times. Check out some website for reports on what they're finding in your region. http://www.morels.com/forums/forum/new-jersey/

There's as many theories about what to look for as there are people who hunt but the common denominator I've found is ground covered in leaves and soft soil. My personal theory is an early warm and wet week in early April with no hard frost after combined with several nice rain falls and a little humidity makes the perfect conditions for a big year. Warm, moist, etc... somehow catalyzes the process much like a greenhouse. The biggest find I ever had was the side of a hill in the middle of a rain shower. I actually slipped and slid down the hill and when I looked back up to see my track, the leaves were ripped away from the ground and a bunch of mushrooms were there sticking up. We just lifted up leaves from that point on to find them underneath and probably netted 3-4 bag fulls.

When you find them, there's a picker's code to cut them off and leave the bottom of the base still in the ground and to use a potato bag to carry them so the spores will fall back to the ground as you walk around and hopefully make for another crop next year. Whether this has any legit science behind it I have no idea.

Once back home, soak them in water overnight and salt them to drive little bugs and critter out of the folds. Rinse well and let air dry or paper towel pat to the point they're well, about the same as mushrooms you'd buy in a store - moist but not wet or too dry. Sautee or light pan fried are my favorite preps. Salt and pepper with some butter and you have a great side for a steak, burger, chop, etc.

Wow...Thanks. I was just browsing that site, seems interesting. Do you ever dry them?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

morel_mushroom_44.JPG

I went mushroom hunting at a dorm party like 8 years ago. we found what we were looking for, but it ended up being more than we could handle. ah, youth

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I wish I knew more about mushrooms...I mean I can spot a morel but that is about it..

Then you know all you need!

what to know:
there's a picker's code to cut them off and leave the bottom of the base still in the ground and to use a potato bag to carry them so the spores will fall back to the ground as you walk around and hopefully make for another crop next year. Whether this has any legit science behind it I have no idea.

It's a fungus, so leaving a bit of base makes perfect sense to me. The spores bit kindof seems like wishful thinking I would guess.

I went mushroom hunting at a dorm party like 8 years ago. we found what we were looking for, but it ended up being more than we could handle. ah, youth

Somehow I dont think you were after morels.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
The idea of eating mushrooms you pick yourself sounds awesome and terrible to me at the same time... I'm just not sure if I'd want to do it.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The idea of eating mushrooms you pick yourself sounds awesome and terrible to me at the same time... I'm just not sure if I'd want to do it.

Look at the pic RG posted. Morels are pretty indistinguishable from anything else. Have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad