OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 190: Terrorists, Wild Trout, Microbeers, and Stuff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
One of the worst laws we have. If it's a crime, it's a crime. If it's not a crime, it's not a crime. Setting up "special punishment" depending on whom the crime occurred to is wrong.

I used to believe this as well but I've actually had a change of opinion.

I think there is value to a society saying they won't tolerate any of its members being singled out for acts of violence simply because of who they are. So in essence I do believe it is a different crime if I were to punch someone in a bar over an argument vs going out and looking for someone to punch because of their race, ethnicity or sexual orientation.

Problem often comes with implementation and interpretation but in my opinion the idea is a very good one. In my view this is precisely governments role. That is to keep order and protect all of its citizens by fostering a safe and productive society.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I used to believe this as well but I've actually had a change of opinion.

I think there is value to a society saying they won't tolerate any of its members being singled out for acts of violence simply because of who they are. So in essence I do believe it is a different crime if I were to punch someone in a bar over an argument vs going out and looking for someone to punch because of their race, ethnicity or sexual orientation

Completely disagree. Again, it's either a crime or it's not a crime. Period.

Problem often comes with implementation and interpretation but in my opinion the idea is a very good one. In my view this is precisely governments role. That is to keep order and protect all of its citizens by fostering a safe and productive society.

Which is why the law that was broken was already illegal, and already punishable, regardless of what color or sexual preference the crime happened to.

Murder isnt "more wrong" or "more tragic" if it's done because you dont like someone.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Murder isnt "more wrong" or "more tragic" if it's done because you dont like someone.

Actually it is. Not to whom but why. Our legal system has always measured why/intent and that is why crimes of passion have always been considered lesser than premeditated. So it is not that you committed a crime against a certain type of person, it is the fact that you committed a crime specifically because they are a type of person...And in my mind that is indeed a much worse level of a crime.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Actually it is. Not to whom but why. Our legal system has always measured why/intent and that is why crimes of passion have always been considered lesser than premeditated. So it is not that you committed a crime against a certain type of person, it is the fact that you committed a crime specifically because they are a type of person...And in my mind that is indeed a much worse level of a crime.

Not in mine.

And probably I imagine not to the mind of the mother or father who lost their son or daughter; they're dead regardless of whether they were murdered for the money in their wallet or for their beliefs or race.

Hate Crime law sets a very dangerous precedent when crime is punished not for the crime itself, but for "whom" the crime happened to. I frankly think it's disgraceful at best, dangerous at worst.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
I got my bison from this place down the block from my apt called Bareburger. Theres a couple other in NYC and I don't say this about restaurants but it was the best burger/fries/onion rings ever.

Prices are reasonable too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
bison meat is great but be careful grilling it - it's so lean it can dry out by the time it's medium-med/well. I like the steaks from it though - very rich flavor.

Same for deer. It is so easy to mess up. 30 seconds too long and you ruin it.

My butcher once told me the best way to cook venison is just to sear it on high heat and let the residual heat cook it through to a medium rare while resting...it was great advice.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Hey guys random question, but what is the song that plays in the Prudential Center after they lose? It kinda sounds like the opening of "national anthem" by Lana del ray??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad