OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 190: Terrorists, Wild Trout, Microbeers, and Stuff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Look at the pic RG posted. Morels are pretty indistinguishable from anything else. Have at it.

Yeah, but I just don't know if I'd like to eat a mushroom like that.

I dunno, it's a weird thing, right? I can catch a fish and eat it, no problem. I can pick fruits/veggies and eat them, no problem. But the mushroom part? I just don't know...

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Wow...Thanks. I was just browsing that site, seems interesting. Do you ever dry them?

I've never dried them but you can buy them dried in groceries (expensive) and then re-hydrate them by soaking. I also found out you can buy spores to plant in your own garden and grow them rather than having to go hunt them. Not sure how much that would cost but I may go that route sometime.

I dunno, it's a weird thing, right? I can catch a fish and eat it, no problem. I can pick fruits/veggies and eat them, no problem. But the mushroom part? I just don't know...

if you knew how most non-organic button mushrooms are grown you'd have no problem eating wild ones. "fertilizer"

Last edited:

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec

Nothing weird about not wanting to eat some fungus off the ground.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
if you knew how most non-organic button mushrooms are grown you'd have no problem eating wild ones.

images

Organic food yada yada yaa!

Bunch of hippie talk, imo. Non-organic food saves this planet's population, i wouldnt complain about it.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
that was PUTT PUTT! Don't bring that adventure or mini golf crap into this conversation. Only fully sanctioned PUTT PUTT golf. ;)

If it doesn't have wooden orange side walls - it ain't putt putt.

serious_business_logo.jpg

You'll have to forgive most of us. I don't think there's a lot of Putt-Putt in NJ. I used to play out in Pittsburgh with my Grandfather...

Update: Just checked their website. None in NY or NJ. Also looks like the one I used to play at is gone? Wow.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
You'll have to forgive most of us. I don't think there's a lot of Putt-Putt in NJ. I used to play out in Pittsburgh with my Grandfather...

Update: Just checked their website. None in NY or NJ. Also looks like the one I used to play at is gone? Wow.

I was just jokin' - he knows that.

Actually it was the Professional Putters Association which used Putt Putt courses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Putters_Association

It looks like the Putt Putt franchise has vanished and been reborn with a whole new identity now as Putt Putt Fun Center. Only the name is the same from what I can find. It goes the way of the 80s arcade I think. Adventure golf really took it to the next level and that is the surviving form of today (if that's even successful still).

In 1966 Putt Putt Golf Courses released an album called "Putt Putt Golf Courses of America presents Gee Gee Shinn and his Band." The album contains sixteen songs. The album cover has two photographs showing the eight member band in the middle of a Putt Putt Golf course. In one photo, the band is joined by twelve young women with the hair stylings and clothes of the period.

Founder Don Clayton retired in 1994, and his daughter Donna took over as chairman. Clayton died in April 1996 at age 70. David Callahan became CEO of Putt-Putt Golf Courses of America in 2000, where he started putting plans to revive the company, which had gone from 105 courses to 70, into action. By 2004, Putt-Putt Fun Center began advertising additional services with the intention of "trying to re-brand with a new concept", in the words of Mr. Callahan.

In the 1960s Putt-Putt grew nationwide and even established a "professional tour" with cash prizes, newsletters, and a wide following.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Yeah, and it appears the course that I used to play at just has a different name.

Even 2-3 years ago I played it and on a Saturday afternoon it was PACKED. Good ole' family fun out Western PA... It's a different kind of place then NY/NJ area...

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Yeah, and it appears the course that I used to play at just has a different name.

Even 2-3 years ago I played it and on a Saturday afternoon it was PACKED. Good ole' family fun out Western PA... It's a different kind of place then NY/NJ area...

Good ol' fashioned family fun Rusty!

Clark-Griswold.jpg

Of course you're talking the part of america where just going to the park and sitting around in a big circle talking for 4 hours is a typical event on a weekend in the summer. (at least it is for my in-laws) :/

images

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Good ol' fashioned family fun Rusty!

Clark-Griswold.jpg

Of course you're talking the part of america where just going to the park and sitting around in a big circle talking for 4 hours is a typical event on a weekend in the summer. (at least it is for my in-laws) :/

images

Are they from Western PA? It's not like parts of my family lived very far from the Ohio border anyways... Or WV for that matter :laugh:

Luckily they've all basically moved away.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
They're from central Michigan. Apparently there's a huge family farm (60 acres) up there and they have a reunion every few years.

1236739.jpg

1236743.jpg

*can't wait*

They even publish their own family cookbook and so far the best recipe is the home made pickles. No kidding it's like eating a smelling salt. Will knock you on your butt if you aren't careful.

Last edited:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
They're from central Michigan. Apparently there's a huge family farm (60 acres) up there and they have a reunion every few years.

1236739.jpg

1236743.jpg

*can't wait*

They even publish their own family cookbook and so far the best recipe is the home made pickles. No kidding it's like eating a smelling salt. Will knock you on your butt if you aren't careful.

I stopped for lunch with Dad on a road trip in Southern Central MI once. We went to a couple local stores, like a candy shop, burger joint, etc.

They all seemed to know we were coming before we got there... Not a cool feeling. Very friendly people with good food and a great candy/fudge store. I just didn't want to stick around too long.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Golf is literally the toughest sport on the planet. Mentally and physically exhausting....

You've obviously never shot a bow.

And there might not be anything more boring on the planet than archery...At least to watch.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
My putt-putt experiences were limited. I just recall some Putt-Putt course I played a few times during a few family trips to Florida when I was younger. But the impact was clearly felt.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
I stopped for lunch with Dad on a road trip in Southern Central MI once. We went to a couple local stores, like a candy shop, burger joint, etc.

They all seemed to know we were coming before we got there... Not a cool feeling. Very friendly people with good food and a great candy/fudge store. I just didn't want to stick around too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btLFfHzWwQY :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad