The team that tanked the most aggressively got Bedard.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Since changing the lottery rules, an original 6 team has won 3 of the last 4 draft lotteries.

blatant and obvious rigging.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Simply put: The Owner.

Also it's a cultural issue. Even if it only involved say, 10 people directly, everyone around it was a part of that culture...Based on what the owner has said, I'm not convinced there's true sorrow for Beach.
Not a single person is there anymore. Even Rocky doesn’t really do much, especially after his public outburst. He’s on the board but his son is CEO now. The guy is 70.
I don't really care about Chicago, outside of the things it's awful for (mainly the Blackhawks).
You seem unhinged with your hate. The people of Chicago have held this team accountable for changing its culture and image and tons of strides have been made in that regard.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I would just like to swing by to say f*** the entire Blackhawks organization for being what it is and f*** the NHL for letting this travesty to happen. This entire situation should be highly offensive to any person with an once of respect, dignity or sense of justice.

Not a single person is there anymore. Even Rocky doesn’t really do much, especially after his public outburst. He’s on the board but his son is CEO now. The guy is 70.

You seem unhinged with your hate. The people of Chicago have held this team accountable for changing its culture and image and tons of strides have been made in that regard.

Whatever punishment you feel the organization has endured, it is not nearly enough. Not even close.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Whatever punishment you feel the organization has endured, it is not nearly enough. Not even close.
Not a single person from that organization is apart of them anymore. So you aren’t punishing them. You’re punishing the new staff, trainers, coaches, players, and fans that have absolutely nothing to do with the situation.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Not a single person from that organization is apart of them anymore. So you aren’t punishing them. You’re punishing the new staff, trainers, coaches, players, and fans that have absolutely nothing to do with the situation.

That's a cop-out and an excuse.

Organizations get punished and held accountable whether the offending participants remain or not.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The owner got pissed when people were asking about it, the original people might be gone but he’s part of the problem

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
The lottery is such a weird invention. Either you trust that the worst team deserves the #1 pick, or you don't. If you can't rely on teams trying their best, then invent something else.

Hell, why not have a voting committee which evaluates every club's season? Maybe let only playoff teams vote to avoid bias and prohibit strategic votes against close competition. That would be pretty cool actually, as everyone gets an incentive to impress the rest of the league by making the best moves possible.

I guess the draw is that dressing young players for development is usually a necessary long term strategy, but it's not always the best way to win right now. On the other hand, that would also be part of the evaluation, since the other GM:s know what is a reasonable amount of long term planning and what is just a tank job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brookbank

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Verdun, Montréal
There's a new vilain in town, with all the deserve hate that Chicago will get in the next years, let's hope it doesn't cast a shadow on Bedard... because man the Blackhawks are in for a hate ride.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Actually no? Feel worse for a guy who just had his sexual assault forgotten because the team that covered it up faced no repercussions.

They will make up the fine from the league in Bedard merchandise, and that makes me sick. Fuc* the Wirtz family.

If they forfeited a pick wouldn’t it have been last year anyway?

Reactions: Putt Pirate

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
The owner got pissed when people were asking about it, the original people might be gone but he’s part of the problem
He’s an old dude that fired everybody associated with the situation and exploded at a presser because he has done so much to change the culture of a team he loves and owns. He apologized as well.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
The hawks fired all the staff and traded all the players involved with the Beach stuff already. The Hawks players definitely gave more effort than the Ducks or Blue Jackets. When you have talent like that, it's suspicious how they played so poorly
Yeah this is a bad stain on the organization and is still fresh but, those people are gone. I think Anaheim should have got him but the new Chicago Org. needs to move forward and Bedard lands in the perfect spot for the NHL, and far away from the Sabres.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Well I guess Bedard better hope it all goes well.

The Blackhawks have a spotty history of how well they take care of former 1st round picks.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Crazy proposal: every non-playoff team has an equal shot at getting the 1st overall pick. You can then weight things starting with pick 2.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Again - what do you want the Hawks to do? It's not like hawks fans did something. Do you want the owner to sell the team? I'm sure most Hawks fans would be happy to see Rocky go. The fans most surely deserve to see a top pick.

What matters more? The owner or the millions of fans we have? It's silly here that people are using this as a reason for why our fans don't deserve to win a lottery like any other franchise.

and yet it's still one of the safer cities in the country and a WORLD CLASS ALPHA CITY unlike Detroit. Keep trying though.
EDIT: Nevermind.

I had typed out a reasoned response to your post but then saw you trolling about Detroit.

The LAST thing the league should do is overreact and implement a worse lottery system.

They did that when Edmonton won a bunch of 1st overalls and we got an awful system where last overall could drop 3 spots(which they thankfully later changed to 2).
Agreed. Really it seems like what they needed to do was implement a rule limiting the amount of times a team can win 1st overall in a certain number of years.

Instead they went with the same kind of idiotic response that led to offside reviews.

Ray Mercer

Oct 3, 2018
It's absolute garbage that Chicago gets Bedard. They've shouldn't even have a pick after that disgrace with Kyle Beach. They've won 3 cups in the last 13 years and now they get another generational talent. It's a joke.

Ray Mercer

Oct 3, 2018
Bedard should have went to the Habs. If he lives up to the hype Montreal would celebrate him like Lafleur, Maurice Beliveau etc.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
The lottery is such a weird invention. Either you trust that the worst team deserves the #1 pick, or you don't. If you can't rely on teams trying their best, then invent something else.

Hell, why not have a voting committee which evaluates every club's season? Maybe let playoff teams vote to avoid bias and votes against close competition. That would be pretty cool actually, as everyone gets an incentive to impress the rest of the league by making the best moves possible.

I guess the draw is that dressing young players for development is usually a good long term strategy, but not necessarily the best way to win right now. On the other hand, that could also be part of the evaluation, since the other GM:s know what's a reasonable amount.
I don’t really like how much it comes down to pure luck.

How about using each team’s total points for the last 3-5 seasons or something and rank them in reverse order? That way the teams that are truly bad year after year get the best picks and it would eliminate the single season tank or reward a good team who just had a lot of injuries.

No team would waste that many seasons just to have a good pick several years into the future.

Reactions: canuckster19

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
Bedard should have went to the Habs. If he lives up to the hype Montreal would celebrate him like Lafleur, Maurice Beliveau etc.
this is the only way I would've been more disappointed with the lottery result. Montreal doesn't deserve him. they also got 1st overall last year. that's enough

How about using each team’s total points for the last 3-5 seasons or something and rank them in reverse order? That way the teams that are truly bad year after year get the best picks and it would eliminate the single season tank or reward a good team who just had a lot of injuries.

No team would waste that many seasons just to have a good pick several years into the future.
good idea

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
First of all, Hossa's allergy was actually a thing.

Second, everyone involved in the 2010 scandal got fired from their jobs. Additionally, Blackhawks and Brooks even reached settlement. What do you think Blackhawks should do? Punish people that had nothing to do with the case just because they're employed by the same organization?
It's not the same thing as karmic alignment but assuming the Beach case went all the way to trial, the law wouldn't care about how many people the Blackhawks organization fired under a vicarious liability and negligent hiring/supervision claim. If the law would hold them liable because the organization breached their duty of care to protect a player from harm from an employee of the organization; why should anyone care that the team took remedial action well after the fact?

The failure to protect Beach or at least act more quickly to keep him safe from future harm is among the worst things (that we know of) an NHL team has done. The fact that they objectively covered it up for over a decade only makes it worse. That shit stain doesn't and shouldn't wash away easily. Everyone understands why a Blackhawks fan would want the general public to forget and let it go. Some things are not that easily forgiveable.

And before you say it, it has nothing to do with the fact that Anaheim lost out on Bedard. There was a 75% chance of that happening and I'm repeatedly on record saying I could live with Anaheim not picking first as long as Chicago didn't win that pick. The organization firing a few people most directly involved and paying some sum in settlement to Beach doesn't mean justice has been served. And not too long on the tails of the discovery of this awful handling of the situation they get a free generational tier prospect.

Last edited:

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013

I kind of like that idea but it would def have to be paired with a limit on picking first overall.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden

It’s a good idea, I also have an idea where the team that is furthest away from a playoff spot within the automatic 3 positions within the division should win the pick, that way tanking is not necessarily viable as you also have to rely on a good team to win, if you both lose, nothing changes.

I also like the idea because it falls under the general metric as well of teams that didn’t make the playoffs.

If we use this then Columbus would get the first pick and not Anaheim as the difference between Columbus and NYR is greater than Anaheim and LA

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
As long as tanking gets rewarded, tanking will continue to work.

They should just switch to the system where the picking order is determined by the amount of points earned after team is mathematically eliminated from playoffs. Under that system, every team would be trying to win every game, but the worst teams would still be favored to pick earlier(because they'd be mathematically eliminated first).
I see two issues with this solution:

1) This would lead to some cynical maneuvers, in which during a season before the draft with a generational player, teams would strategically lose a lot (LTIRs?) at the beginning and then, once they're mathematically eliminated, they would try to win at all costs.

2) The draft order would be heavily impacted by the situation in division and/or conference e. g. in the conference with relatively strong #8 team, teams at the bottom would be eliminated way sooner. This may be going to far but if you were the tanking team in this scenario, you'd have incentive to "help" (e. g. via trade) a team that is near 8th place, to quicken your mathematical elimination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad