The team that tanked the most aggressively got Bedard.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You guys gotta watch other leagues if you think that was a bad example of tanking. It's a regular occurrence for an NBA team to lose as many games as the Bruins won.

I'm more concerned that they had the pick to begin with an no on-ice discipline resulted from the whole thing that happened.

Reactions: Viqsi and Chainshot

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
The failure to protect Beach or at least act more quickly to keep him safe from future harm is among the worst things (that we know of) an NHL team has done. The fact that they objectively covered it up for over a decade only makes it worse. That shit stain doesn't and shouldn't wash away easily. Everyone understands why a Blackhawks fan would want the general public to forget and let it go. Some things are not that easily forgiveable.
This is so weird to me. Blaming an entire NHL team based on actions by a few bad actors.

Reactions: Blackhawks

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Tanked on purpose, Kyle Beach scandal/coverup, 3 recent Stanley Cups, coming off having a superstar first overall forward in Patrick Kane.

So many reasons they didn’t deserve to win the lottery. It was the worst possible outcome.
Weren't they also gifted Kane...very easy to route against this franchise.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Here's how the standin
It’s a good idea, I also have an idea where the team that is furthest away from a playoff spot within the automatic 3 positions within the division should win the pick, that way tanking is not necessarily viable as you also have to rely on a good team to win, if you both lose, nothing changes.

I also like the idea because it falls under the general metric as well of teams that didn’t make the playoffs.

If we use this then Columbus would get the first pick and not Anaheim as the difference between Columbus and NYR is greater than Anaheim and LA

Here's how the draft order would break down in my idea...

Columbus (Up one) Diff 48
Anaheim (Down one) Diff 46
San Jose (Up one) Diff 44
Chicago (Down one) Diff 44 (More regulation wins than SJ)
Arizona (Up one) Diff 34
Philadelphia (Up two) Diff 32
Montreal (Down two) Diff 30
Washington (Same) Diff 27
St Louis (Up one) Diff 22
Vancouver (Up one) Diff 21
Detroit (Down two) Diff 18
Pittsburgh (Up two) Diff 16
Ottawa (Down one) Diff 12
Nashville (Up one) Diff 11
Calgary (Up one) Diff 11
Buffalo (Down three) Diff 7

The order changes significantly enough to make tanking less viable but not insomuch as to punish bad teams and gets rid of the lottery and any other stupid gimmick

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Bottom 4 teams need to have a round robin tourney for 1oa. Tanking gets you to it but you then need to win games to earn the right to pick first.
Until a star gets a career ending injury in the draft lottery tournament.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He’s an old dude that fired everybody associated with the situation and exploded at a presser because he has done so much to change the culture of a team he loves and owns. He apologized as well.
Did so much to change the culture that the team canceled pride night too? Doesn't really look any different over there at all, just shuffled some deck chairs around.

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Did so much to change the culture that the team canceled pride night too? Doesn't really look any different over there at all, just shuffled some deck chairs around.
To be fair they’re not from the only ones to cancel pride night.

Not that it excuses the Beach stuff but I wouldn’t throw the entire weight of the pride night stuff on them when a lot of teams went that route too

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In addition, a byproduct of their clear attempt to tank for Bedard is that they had a huge amount of cap space that they could essentially sell for additional draft picks. The value of these picks were accentuated by the flat cap. If the NHL does not negotiate an increase in the cap we will see round two of this with Chicago using its $40M in cap space to accumulate even more picks while probably tanking again this coming year. The one bright light in this is that by the time Chicago is competitive Bedard might cost them $10M+.

It would be completely hypocritical of me to be overly critical of the lottery since it brought the Oilers McDavid. Though that was a function of incompetence rather than tanking.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
To be fair they’re not from the only ones to cancel pride night.

Not that it excuses the Beach stuff but I wouldn’t throw the entire weight of the pride night stuff on them when a lot of teams went that route too
Not a lot of teams had to recently and publicly commit to a more responsible and competent understanding of sexuality and misconduct, so it still kind of stands out, especially after players spoke in favor of it. That's not exactly screaming culture change either.

And I guess to be fair, I wouldn't love some of those other teams getting the pick either, but at least they didn't do the other stuff.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
There should be a competition committee that decides the top 5 in the draft. The team that deserves the top pick, gets the top pick. CBJ deserved Bedard. Everyone knows it.

The Oilers didn't deserve McDavid in 2014, everyone knows it.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
There should be a competition committee that decides the top 5 in the draft. The team that deserves the top pick, gets the top pick. CBJ deserved Bedard. Everyone knows it.

This is a preposterous suggestion. Adding a subjective body to assign draft picks would only fan the flames of aggrieved teams, especially when you're talking about potentially generational talents. Enough folks talk about how the lottery is "rigged" and they "know it," even though there is never any shred of evidence that follows... watching balls bouncing around in a machine is a lot less controversial than receiving edicts from the ivory tower would ever be.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No the people involved were punished. Joel Quenneville was punished.

People want to have the fans be punished, but that's not how it works.
I want the organization punished. Mostly so we can finally move on. I know the bulk of Hawks fans were as sickened by what their team did as anyone else; deliberately taking it out on them accomplishes nothing constructive. But the organization barely even got a wrist-slap; the on-ice impact (compared to that for teams that did far far less) was literally nil.

* * *​
what? caufield accounted for literally 1/3 of their goals. Guhle was their best dman, if not top 2. Mattheson missed half the year. Dach went down. Suzuki was essentially playing alone.
I understand the caps were also decimated; quality is relative to each roster
They weren't #1. They were up there, to be sure, but they weren't #1. It's variable depending on what metrics you use, but the top 4 were generally some mixture of the Capitals, Habs, Jackets, and another team whose name is evading me at the moment (I want to say the Knights but I'm not certain of that.)

Putt Pirate

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 15, 2015
Tanked on purpose, Kyle Beach scandal/coverup, 3 recent Stanley Cups, coming off having a superstar first overall forward in Patrick Kane.

So many reasons they didn’t deserve to win the lottery. It was the worst possible outcome.
Deserve has nothing to do with it. Luck.

Reactions: shakes the clown

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

or just get rid of the lottery all together

Oilers never get McDavid

Chicago never ends up with Kane and Bedard

why are we complicating things

Reactions: Brookbank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad