The team that tanked the most aggressively got Bedard.

Crow

May 19, 2014
As a fan, you can fill in the blank.

Hawks made smart moves and got rewarded.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
its-free-real-sate.gif

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I've been waiting for proof all these efforts to stop tanking actually work for a couple decades now. Mostly they've either had no effect or had no effect on tanking and just ended up hurting actual really bad teams.
The league has overreacted based on the statistical outlier of the Oilers getting four 1st overalls and have been clumsily trying to find that right balance since. IMO they broke something that didn't need fixing.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So what is the league going to do next year when 10 teams are competing to see how badly they can trash their rosters for 3/4 of the season ? There will still be a couple delusional management teams next year who wont tank. But still. Clearly tanking works. The harder the tank the better.

This idea that the lottery is preventing tanking is ridiculous.
Man this "solution" that is still looking for an actual problem why can't people get over this non issue?

Green

Nov 13, 2019
And this is why there should be no incentive for tanking, all teams that miss the playoffs get a 5% chance at the first overall, and teams that make the playoffs but don't make the SC get 1.4% chance at the first overall, keeps the teams competive and there is no real incentive for tanking

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Why do I even follow the NHL? If this isn't fixed it may as well be.

Chicago already got to draft 1st overall less than a generation ago and has won three cups since 2010.

And they could've won more if it wasn't for the salary cap installed shortly before their semi-dynasty.

Edmonton got, what, three 1st OAs in a row? At least Chicago doesn't squander them.

It's a f***ing joke.

Their fans aren't suffering. Plenty of other franchises are though.

No, but Chicago sports fans in general have suffered plenty.

I am so tired of seeing the same franchises getting the 1st pick over and over, winning cups and then getting 1st overall again so they can win more cups.

Look at the past decade of 1st OAs and tell me how many of those franchises have won the Cup?

Reactions: AzHawk

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Dude I live in Sweden, couldn't care less about your shitty city.

Just pointed out that Chicago is very bad from a statistical standpoint regarding shootings.

Chicago isn't even in the top 25 worst 100K+ pop cities when it comes to USA murder rates

Reactions: AzHawk

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Next year is not the same. There's no Bedard in 2024 or even a Fantilli. A handful of really good prospects but no surefire studs. You saw really competitive tanking this season because the prize was the best prospect since McDavid.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I think Uncle Gary knows best and we should all just let him decide the draft order.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I don't really think anyone cares all that much that Chicago tanked for a better draft pick. People still haven't gotten over the incredibly lenient "punishment" they received for the Kyle Beach stuff. The Florida Panthers were punished more severely than Chicago in that and they weren't involved at all.

The person that wins in the end is Wirtz and he's shown he doesn't give two craps about the previous incident.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't really think anyone cares all that much that Chicago tanked for a better draft pick. People still haven't gotten over the incredibly lenient "punishment" they received for the Kyle Beach stuff. The Florida Panthers were punished more severely than Chicago in that and they weren't involved at all.

The person that wins in the end is Wirtz and he's shown he doesn't give two craps about the previous incident.
No the people involved were punished. Joel Quenneville was punished.

People want to have the fans be punished, but that's not how it works.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
3 cups in 6 years and go straight from kane to bedard

can't imagine how nice that must be

giphy.gif

Florida Panthers was the team that actually got punished for that, somehow. Then Brunette was unable to make tactical adjustments in the playoffs, got swept by Lightning, experienced league-wide mockery, hired Maurice, struggled in regular season, experienced league-wide mockery again, "Bedard for Chiarot" jokes, thread on Habs board about wanting Cats to lose, then Chicago helped us to get in the playoffs by winning against Pittsburgh, then historical upset in Boston happened, and now with 3-0 lead in second round series vs Leafs.

The circle has closed (or not?). But what a crazy turnaround.
Florida beating the Leafs also gives us the 19th pick instead of the 20th :yo:

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I feel like it’s only fair that the city of Chicago lose the Bears and then have only Packers Super Bowl highlights play in every bar downtown for the next year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I've been waiting for a couple decades for proof all these efforts to stop tanking actually work. Mostly they've either had no effect or had no effect on tanking and just ended up hurting actual really bad teams.
As long as tanking gets rewarded, tanking will continue to work.

They should just switch to the system where the picking order is determined by the amount of points earned after team is mathematically eliminated from playoffs. Under that system, every team would be trying to win every game, but the worst teams would still be favored to pick earlier(because they'd be mathematically eliminated first).

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Team that sexually abused players most won the lottery

Thank god Chicago only did minor things like that, its not like they tested player illegally pre-draft
I wouldn't wanna Play for the Chicago rapehawks.

Overall the reaction is this:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad