The team that tanked the most aggressively got Bedard.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Okay what’s your thoughts on Ovi. Russians supporting Putin.
Really don't like it, am willing to extend some slight grey area because I don't know what's going on behind closed doors but it's definitely not a good look. I don't have a huge social media presence so I don't see those things like profile pictures but if Ovechkin were out there all the time with, like, Russia facepaint during the season to show his support I'd be pretty turned off by the whole thing and find something else to do with my life.

If I thought Ovechkin had any actual influence in the situation or ability to make change I'd be furious, but ultimately what he says or does won't make a dramatic difference in the larger scale conflict so it's not as simple to be like "okay, call the police then". I'd be super proud if he were on the other side and it deeply disappoints me that he's not, but our athletes aren't perfect.

My personal impression is that Ovechkin was privileged enough in his upbringing (and probably inherently close to the country, either through pride or organizations given his mother's ties?) to grow up pretty ignorant and isn't the guy I'd go to for political commentary if I were looking for world bending opinions. He's a hockey player who eats, sleeps, and breathes the sport and doesn't seem to think much about the status quo.

Reactions: Viqsi and TLEH

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I wouldn't say that's an easy move to make but it would sure as shit be commendable. I wouldn't be calling their pledge for a culture change noise at that point, anyway, and I think a lot of other people might agree.

I recognize that this is personal and I won't speak for other people but I'm not attacking you. This shit happening never made me think that HFChicago is suddenly full of monsters, and we can't really help who we love or the lifelong affiliations and experiences that help us choose our teams. I don't think many of us are saying you don't deserve to be happy, but it's a tough pill to swallow when we also believe something should have happened that didn't and consider the conduct of ownership since.

If you can show me where I'm accusing any of you of personally supporting that shit I'll eat my words, but the reality is that it's moments like these that give that impression more than anything else. I get that you want people to be happy for you in your happy moment, but some of us aren't because we feel the Blackhawks as an organization didn't do shit to deserve it.

I wasn't saying YOU in particular. But plenty of it has been said on here through many different threads, by plenty of people.

While we're on the subject.

The Canucks organization is a sexist trash organization who discriminates against people with disabilities, and they should forfeit their 11th pick this season.

I know you're not a Canucks fan, but thought it pretty f***ing fitting.

Not to mention the allegations and prosecution of Virtanen, despite him being acquitted. That was a player. A player they placed on leave and bought out. That's ok for people to swallow, but firing the entire staff that covered this up for the Hawks organization isn't? How long do Hawks fans suffer for it? Should Vancouver have forfeit a pick for that happening?

What about this?

I suppose no one in Hockey Canada covered any of this up, right? What should their punishment be? Seems to me Hockey Canada's only punishment was to pay the women. Hmmm interesting. Paying Beach, and paying fines aren't good enough for the Hawks, though.

Hockey has a cocaine-fueled, alcohol bender, toxic culture infused into it. Most know this. Yet the Hawks get singled out, while all these other things just get brushed aside? Bullshit. People are mad that the Hawks have a good chance to be relevant again, and be a contender in a few years. Period. As I said earlier, this is just a convenient excuse for people to scream and piss and moan about the Hawks landing a generational player after their recent success.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I wasn't saying YOU in particular. But plenty of it has been said on here through many different threads, by plenty of people.

The Canucks organization is a sexist trash organization who discriminates against people with disabilities, and they should forfeit their 11th pick this season.

Not to mention the allegations and prosecution of Virtanen, despite him being acquitted. That was a player. A player they placed on leave and bought out. That's ok for people to swallow, but firing the entire staff that covered this up for the Hawks organization isn't? How long do Hawks fans suffer for it? Should Vancouver have forfeit a pick for that happening?

What about this?

I suppose no one in Hockey Canada covered any of this up, right? What should their punishment be? Seems to me Hockey Canada's only punishment was to pay the women. Hmmm interesting. Paying Beach, and paying fines aren't good enough for the Hawks, though.
I... don't think that's good enough for Hockey Canada either though, and unless I'm mistaken that one is still having some pretty significant impacts.

I'll have to review the Doerrie thing but if I remember correctly from the thread when it happened it's a bit of a "he said, she said" thing, and the Canucks handled it like shitheads. I would love to see people held accountable for being assholes but you're making a huge stretch calling them sexists when the person who made the comment is the same gender as the one receiving it. I'm all for her being protected medically and if that's the case it would absolutely be discrimination but it's not an organizational coverup, that's a personal bias based on a statement and attitude.

All in all over the past few years it's pretty obvious that the Canucks are also a dismal franchise run by a total butthole so that's not great company to keep, but it's not even in the same stratosphere as the sexual assault of a player by a coach.

Reactions: Viqsi and SiZ

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I... don't think that's good enough for Hockey Canada either though, and unless I'm mistaken that one is still having some pretty significant impacts.

I'll have to review the Doerrie thing but if I remember correctly from the thread when it happened it's a bit of a "he said, she said" thing, and the Canucks handled it like shitheads. I would love to see people held accountable for being assholes but you're making a huge stretch calling them sexists when the person who made the comment is the same gender as the one receiving it.

All in all over the past few years it's pretty obvious that the Canucks are also a dismal franchise run by a total butthole so that's not great company to keep, but it's not even in the same stratosphere as the sexual assault of a player by a coach.

All I'm doing is making the point that every.single.team in the NHL has their skeletons. The Hawks had one pop out of the closet. You can bet your ass other teams will also have them. So this faux outrage by most isn't in relation to the sexual assault. That was only a topic of conversation because the Hawks won the lotto for 1OA. It's in relation to the Hawks getting a generational player that can speed them back up into contention sooner than opposing fans wanted. Would all of this outrage have been happening if the Hawks stayed at 3, or moved to 2? I'm pretty confident there wouldn't be a single person screaming for the Hawks to forfeit the pick, and sexual assault would have never been brought up if that were the case.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
All I'm doing is making the point that every.single.team in the NHL has their skeletons. The Hawks had one pop out of the closet. You can bet your ass other teams will also have them. So this faux outrage by most isn't in relation to the sexual assault, that was only a topic of conversation because the Hawks won the lotto for 1OA, but in relation to the Hawks getting a generational player that can speed them back up into contention sooner than opposing fans wanted. Would all of this outrage have been happening if the Hawks stayed at 3, or moved to 2? I'm pretty confident there wouldn't be a single person screaming for the Hawks to forfeit the pick, and sexual assault would have never been brought up if that were the case.
Word of advice, stop calling it faux outrage because you look like an asshole by default. If anyone wants to be upset about a sexual assault that's their prerogative and you're not really doing anybody any favors by undercutting that.

I really probably shouldn't have to explain to you why it's more irritating to have them take 1st overall than whatever default pick they had either. Anybody who already believed they got off light had a new reason to readdress the situation and how the league handled it, this is not really complicated human behavior.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Word of advice, stop calling it faux outrage because you look like an asshole by default. If anyone wants to be upset about a sexual assault that's their prerogative and you're not really doing anybody any favors by undercutting that.

I call it faux outrage, because it's not necessarily directed at the sexual assault, but at the fact the Hawks won the 1OA pick in the lottery after having a sexual assault scandal, as evidenced by what I said, which I can guarantee you know is true. The sexual assault never gets brought up in any thread on this board yesterday or today, if the Hawks stay at 3 or only bump to 2.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I call it faux outrage, because it's not necessarily directed at the sexual assault, but at the fact the Hawks won the 1OA pick in the lottery after having a sexual assault scandal, as evidenced by what I said, which I can guarantee you know is true. The sexual assault never gets brought up in any thread on this board yesterday or today, if the Hawks stay at 3 or only bump to 2.
And yet it'll probably stay relevant for the next decade in various forms. It's not faux outrage, it's people being dissatisfied with the balance between crime and punishment. They aren't going to make that your life every single day because of what I said earlier, we recognize the fans didn't really do it, it's not going to ruin your board experience daily just to prove a point.

But in big moments, you really think it's going to go away any time soon? You think if the Blackhawks pretty rapidly make the playoffs on the back of Bedard everybody's going to go "yay, Bedard in the playoffs" and not "it's still bullshit to see Chicago here after what happened"?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
And yet it'll probably stay relevant for the next decade in various forms. It's not faux outrage, it's people being dissatisfied with the balance between crime and punishment. They aren't going to make that your life every single day because of what I said earlier, we recognize the fans didn't really do it, it's not going to ruin your board experience daily just to prove a point.

But in big moments, you really think it's going to go away any time soon? You think if the Blackhawks pretty rapidly make the playoffs on the back of Bedard everybody's going to go "yay, Bedard in the playoffs" and not "it's still bullshit to see Chicago here after what happened"?

Of course it will, and no one knows that more than Hawks fans. And of course people are going to do that. Like I suggested earlier, go find the threads we had about this after it went public. Go read our discussions. It was 99% outrage and disgust, and 1% disbelief.

My only gripes through this whole thing have been limited to just a few things.

1. The "fake news" and misinformation being perpetuated by people with little to no knowledge of the situation. All I've done is try to correct it. All I've requested is people read the report.
2. The constant "rape" and "sexual assault" jokes that are vile, and disgusting, and were left to go on for far too long by mods. I'd argue that these people are more vile and disgusting than any single Hawks fan that still supports their team, by a longshot. Because us Hawks fans did nothing wrong in this situation.
3. The people calling Hawks fans supporters of sexual assault or rape on account of their support of their city's organization, despite said organization being completely new and fresh from the top down, outside of ownership.

Do you disagree, though? Do you think if the Hawks are drafting Fantilli, Michkov, or Carlsson, that the sexual assault scandal is being screamed about on these threads, and people are screaming for the Hawks to forfeit their pick? Be honest with me. I've been nothing but honest in here. In my opinion, I would say that it was never mentioned once, if that were the case.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Of course it will, and no one knows that more than Hawks fans. And of course people are going to do that. My only gripes through this whole thing have been limited to just a couple things.

1. The "fake news" and misinformation being perpetuated by people with little to no knowledge of the situation.
2. The constant "rape" and "sexual assault" jokes that are vile, and disgusting, and were left to go on for far too long by mods.
3. The people calling Hawks fans supporters of sexual assault or rape on account of their support of their city's organization, despite said organization being completely new and fresh from the top down, outside of ownership.

Do you disagree, though? Do you think if the Hawks are drafting Fantilli, Michkov, or Carlsson, that the sexual assault scandal is being screamed about on these threads, and people are screaming for the Hawks to forfeit their pick? Be honest with me. I've been nothing but honest in here. In my opinion, I would say that it was never mentioned once, if that were the case.
I think it may be mentioned but wouldn't be an outrage. Now, why do you think that's somehow unfair? Do you somehow disagree that it makes it easier to be obviously irritated when the franchise you could argue should have received a draft related punishment when compared to how the league handles other transgressions was instead rewarded with the year's best prize (beyond the Cup)?

I think there are people who would care either way but this is the equivalent of having it rubbed in your face, people are going to notice.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think it may be mentioned but wouldn't be an outrage. Now, why do you think that's somehow unfair? Do you somehow disagree that it makes it easier to be obviously irritated when the franchise you could argue should have received a draft related punishment when compared to how the league handles other transgressions was instead rewarded with the year's best prize (beyond the Cup)?

I think there are people who would care either way but this is the equivalent of having it rubbed in your face, people are going to notice.

I would say some of the unfairness comes in with the outrage towards us, as fans, when we had nothing to do with it, and our only choice in the entire thing is to swear off the franchise we've grown up loving, and players we've emulated for 30 or 40 years(in my case as a 38 year old), or be berated because we don't choose that option. And, that much of it seems to be based upon incorrect information and clickbait article lies that people take as gospel, while screaming from the rooftops that the report by a multi-billion dollar law firm, with their reputation on the line, is a bunch of bullshit. It's borderline idiocy.

And in continuing to be honest, thanks for the good conversation. You're one of few who has actually had a mature conversation about the whole thing. It's commendable based on a lot of what I've seen in the last 24 hours or so. Anyways, off to play a game or something for a bit before bed. Thanks again for the discussion. Take it easy.

Reactions: HTFN

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
The Betman conspiracies are absurd. I thought he wants to divert talent to non-Original Six franchises to grow and sustain the footprint of the NHL? The traditional conspiracy, therefore, called for Anaheim to win the lottery.
How does Bettman want to help out Anaheim? The NHL has done nothing to help the Ducks since day 1. The Ducks had to pay the Kings for being in their market; the NHL restricted how/where they could market the team, so they had to grow they fan base in other ways such as growing grassroots hockey (buying up ice and roller rinks, sponsoring youth ice and roller hockey, starting a high school hockey league) and having a huge community presence and active philanthropy. They have never hosted an NHL All Star game while both the Kings and Sharks have had two, and they have never hosted an NHL draft (King have); only let the Ducks play an outdoor game after the Kings won the Stanley Cup. Bettman was point blank asked if Anaheim would play in an outdoor game after they won the Stanley Cup and he basically said no. So, no, Bettman has done nothing to divert talent to Anaheim or help them sustain their footprint even in Southern California.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I would say some of the unfairness comes in with the outrage towards us, as fans, when we had nothing to do with it, and our only choice in the entire thing is to swear off the franchise we've grown up loving, and players we've emulated for 30 or 40 years(in my case as a 38 year old), or be berated because we don't choose that option. And, that much of it seems to be based upon incorrect information and clickbait article lies that people take as gospel, while screaming from the rooftops that the report by a multi-billion dollar law firm, with their reputation on the line, is a bunch of bullshit. It's borderline idiocy.

And in continuing to be honest, thanks for the good conversation. You're one of few who has actually had a mature conversation about the whole thing. It's commendable based on a lot of what I've seen in the last 24 hours or so. Anyways, off to play a game or something for a bit before bed. Thanks again for the discussion. Take it easy.
I don't think anybody isn't happy for you, we just don't want to go "wheeee isn't this amazing" with you because we have some beef with how things landed.

It's like the inverse of the Leafs fans thing, I have no problem with the Leafs but their fans make me want them to lose. I have no problem with Chicago fans but their organization's recent history makes me want them to be humbled for a moment. When Leafs fans came pouring out going "we won a round, praise us" and got slapped it was no surprise, and similarly it's hard to ask people to be happy for you because we know that the real payoff is going to the asshole at the top collecting season ticket money.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How does Bettman want to help out Anaheim? The NHL has done nothing to help the Ducks since day 1. The Ducks had to pay the Kings for being in their market; the NHL restricted how/where they could market the team, so they had to grow they fan base in other ways such as growing grassroots hockey (buying up ice and roller rinks, sponsoring youth ice and roller hockey, starting a high school hockey league) and having a huge community presence and active philanthropy. They have never hosted an NHL All Star game while both the Kings and Sharks have had two, and they have never hosted an NHL draft (King have); only let the Ducks play an outdoor game after the Kings won the Stanley Cup. Bettman was point blank asked if Anaheim would play in an outdoor game after they won the Stanley Cup and he basically said no. So, no, Bettman has done nothing to divert talent to Anaheim or help them sustain their footprint even in Southern California.

He was saying if the conspiracies about wanting to help smaller market teams and extend the NHL's footprint to a wider fanbase were true, then a team like Anaheim would have won 1OA. Or Columbus. Or any other fringe, smaller market team. He wouldn't rig it to go to the Hawks.

I don't think anybody isn't happy for you, we just don't want to go "wheeee isn't this amazing" with you because we have some beef with how things landed.

It's like the inverse of the Leafs fans thing, I have no problem with the Leafs but their fans make me want them to lose. I have no problem with Chicago fans but their organization's recent history makes me want them to be humbled for a moment. When Leafs fans came pouring out going "we won a round, praise us" and got slapped it was no surprise, and similarly it's hard to ask people to be happy for you because we know that the real payoff is going to the asshole at the top collecting season ticket money.

And I don't expect anyone to. :)

At least we can agree on the Leafs fan thing... lmao... though I've met some cool ones, and Toronto is a cool place, IMO.

And all billionaires suck. I hate them all, whether they own a sports organization, or a damn website where I buy most my shit nowadays... lol.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Didn't want to see Him go to chicago but i REALLY didn't want to see him go to Columbus.

Bergevin called in a favour.. Beat the pens, gets florida in and then florida goes on to screw montreals top-15 pick and turns into a 29-32 pick.
pandemic also worsened the arizona 1st from the hall trade from late lottery to #19. devils fans are happier with mercer than holtz, who was picked 12 spots earlier in the same draft. you never know.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

JTB1974

Oct 16, 2022
The problem with what the Hawks did is they tore down their entire roster to fully tank for 1 player. So now a generational talent the Hawks will get but they will have nobody else. So what good will it do the team? And the NHL draft is not like the NFL draft where you can rebuild pretty quickly through the draft because there is so many good prospects throughout most of the rounds. With the NHL draft it's living on hope and a prayer once you get past the 1st 10 or so prospects.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
We deserved it because we actively tried not to tank even when all logic dictated we were dead in the water. Let's re-do the lottery and give it to us. Thanks.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden

What about this?

Hockey has a cocaine-fueled, alcohol bender, toxic culture infused into it. Most know this. Yet the Hawks get singled out, while all these other things just get brushed aside? Bullshit. People are mad that the Hawks have a good chance to be relevant again, and be a contender in a few years. Period. As I said earlier, this is just a convenient excuse for people to scream and piss and moan about the Hawks landing a generational player after their recent success.

Your constant nonsensical rambling would seem more apt if it wasn't for the fact you still seem to hold a gripe over one particulary team/fanbase from a rivalry over 10 years past it's expiration date.

I hate the phrase, but it sure seems like the Canucks are living rent free in your head.

The funny thing is we as Canucks fans have heard this all before, blah blah blah blah, now your team is suddenly under the magnifying glass and you can't f-ing handle it at all.

That's the problem people have here, is how you are all flying over the edge, HE ASSAULTED A CHILD YOU DENSE ****** ******. Show some god damn humility!

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Your constant nonsensical rambling would seem more apt if it wasn't for the fact you still seem to hold a gripe over one particulary team/fanbase from a rivalry over 10 years past it's expiration date.

I hate the phrase, but it sure seems like the Canucks are living rent free in your head.

The funny thing is we as Canucks fans have heard this all before, blah blah blah blah, now your team is suddenly under the magnifying glass and you can't f-ing handle it at all.

That's the problem people have here, is how you are all flying over the edge, HE ASSAULTED A CHILD YOU DENSE ****** ******. Show some god damn humility!
No one here is happy about the assault of a child. My point in the entire thing is that I feel the anger should be directed at the three major parties who covered it up/brushed it under the rug, rather than the abstract thing that is the Chicago Blackhawks. The Chicago Blackhawks can't do anything. The people who work there can. Stan Bowman, Joel Quenneville, and John McDonough were the three largest players in this. The report states that John McDonough essentially carries the 2nd most blame other than the actual perpetrator. Felt like the organization has done a lot of things right after the fact.

People calling them a disgusting organization rub me the wrong way because I feel like they have handled it decently. Feel like they have done pretty much what you are supposed to do, bar the Rocky blow up, which pushed me away from the team for a bit until they decided to finally push him out of the picture into the shadows again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad