The team that tanked the most aggressively got Bedard.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Now I have to do the work for people who are supposed to be proving their own claims... instead of me disproving them...

"After leaving his employment with the Blackhawks, Aldrich went on to work and volunteer at USA Hockey, the University of Notre Dame, Miami University of Ohio, and Houghton High School.621 None of the witnesses we interviewed recalled anyone at the Blackhawks providing a written or verbal reference for Aldrich to his future employers. When interviewed, Aldrich stated that he did not list any Blackhawks employees as references on job applications, nor did he ask anyone from the Blackhawks to vouch for him or make any calls on his behalf.622 USA Hockey reported to us that they identified no records reflecting 64 a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks.623 We gathered records from Miami University regarding Aldrich’s employment and found no evidence of references, whether written or oral, provided by the Blackhawks. Miami University published an investigative report on September 24, 2021, which stated that Aldrich did not provide references on his resume when he applied to Miami, that the then-head coach of Miami University’s hockey team received Aldrich’s name from the coach’s collegiate hockey connections, and that the head coach and others spoke to the University of Notre Dame about Aldrich and received favorable information.624 The Miami investigative report does not describe any references provided by the Blackhawks.625 The University of Notre Dame declined to share information or records with us, other than to confirm Aldrich’s dates of employment at the university. Houghton High School reported to us that they identified no records reflecting a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks.626 The head hockey coach at Houghton High School told us that Aldrich did not formally apply for volunteer hockey coaching positions in 2010 and 2012.627 The head coach explained that Aldrich’s uncle, who was the assistant coach in 2010, had told the head coach that Aldrich was not working and asked if the team could help Aldrich.628 In 2012, the team re-hired Aldrich as a volunteer based on his work as a volunteer in 2010.629 The head coach said that he did not contact the Blackhawks about Aldrich at any time.6"

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Have you ever participated in a corporate audit? It feels like you truly have no idea about the relationship of the company and the law firm doing the investigation. They don’t talk to you about what you had for dinner dude. They ask for very specific things.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Now I have to do the work for people who are supposed to be proving their own claims... instead of me disproving them...

"After leaving his employment with the Blackhawks, Aldrich went on to work and volunteer at USA Hockey, the University of Notre Dame, Miami University of Ohio, and Houghton High School.621 None of the witnesses we interviewed recalled anyone at the Blackhawks providing a written or verbal reference for Aldrich to his future employers. When interviewed, Aldrich stated that he did not list any Blackhawks employees as references on job applications, nor did he ask anyone from the Blackhawks to vouch for him or make any calls on his behalf.622 USA Hockey reported to us that they identified no records reflecting 64 a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks.623 We gathered records from Miami University regarding Aldrich’s employment and found no evidence of references, whether written or oral, provided by the Blackhawks. Miami University published an investigative report on September 24, 2021, which stated that Aldrich did not provide references on his resume when he applied to Miami, that the then-head coach of Miami University’s hockey team received Aldrich’s name from the coach’s collegiate hockey connections, and that the head coach and others spoke to the University of Notre Dame about Aldrich and received favorable information.624 The Miami investigative report does not describe any references provided by the Blackhawks.625 The University of Notre Dame declined to share information or records with us, other than to confirm Aldrich’s dates of employment at the university. Houghton High School reported to us that they identified no records reflecting a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks.626 The head hockey coach at Houghton High School told us that Aldrich did not formally apply for volunteer hockey coaching positions in 2010 and 2012.627 The head coach explained that Aldrich’s uncle, who was the assistant coach in 2010, had told the head coach that Aldrich was not working and asked if the team could help Aldrich.628 In 2012, the team re-hired Aldrich as a volunteer based on his work as a volunteer in 2010.629 The head coach said that he did not contact the Blackhawks about Aldrich at any time.6"
Woe is you but I already admitted to forgetting about that, so you know... whoops.

Still doesn't really change that if they'd done what they should have done he'd never have been there to begin with.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
Good points. You should make a thread about this idea
One thing I've learned in my time on this earth is people don't like things they grew up with being questioned- and sports forums tend to bring out reactionaries rather than thoughtful discussions lol

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Woe is you but I already admitted to forgetting about that, so you know... whoops.

Still doesn't really change that if they'd done what they should have done he'd never have been there to begin with.

There's also pages upon pages explaining WHY things happened the way they did. Based upon what people knew, didn't know, who told who, and who didn't tell who, what order people were told things, the chronology of the entire situation, the discussions among HR staff, Aldrich, players, etc. It's 100 pages. It literally takes like 30 mins to read. It's not hard for people to read it before just spewing nonsensical bullshit claims that they read on clickbait articles when this all first went public...

And when someone doesn't do their research prior to going off the deep end with their virtue signaling, it comes off as faux outrage, simply directed at the Hawks for drafting a potentially generational player that will help make them relevant again, and nothing more.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
I swear if I hear "everyone got fired" one more time I'm going to go crazy. Some of your Blackhawks buddies have compared this to Penn State, who got absolutely shithoused in penalties and fines after it became clear what they did.

What doesn't make any sense is thinking that firing the people who did the thing (which is already a positive for you, even though you had to be made to do it) is enough for an organization to learn a lesson.
People tend to take notice of actions that could potentially cost them their employment.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah but they didn’t do it. And the people who didn’t do it are lifelong f***s. And they should be banned from hockey.
And, just bear with me, maybe the organization should have received something in the form of a punishment as a whole so that if it were ever to happen again there are lots of multi-faceted reasons to compel even the most competitive staff to come forward rather than repeat mistakes of the past.

That's really all some of us are saying, and really have been saying the whole time. They got off very light, and now that we live in the future we've learned that it let them get hold of a 1st overall pick.

I'm not even saying strip the pick, personally I'd have either frozen it in the lottery for a few years or moved it to the beginning of the playoff teams and then just fine the shit out of them and donate it, but it should have been something and I don't really think it's a stretch for you to understand why some of us feel that way.

Reactions: Viqsi

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
My question is, and always has been, What does draft pick punishment do to Stan Bowman or Joel ?? They are about to be working in the league next year LOL. Isn’t that way more insane??
It breaks culture. The crux of the incident is people being unwilling to do the right thing because of the competitive environment they were in and the potential success they would have.

Creating a competitive punishment incentivizes the morally bankrupt among them to still consider coming forward because losing draft picks and competitive advantage also sucks. Anybody willing to put the organization above the people in it would be hurting the organization as a result anyway, which is a nice little overlap to have.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
And, just bear with me, maybe the organization should have received something in the form of a punishment as a whole so that if it were ever to happen again there are lots of multi-faceted reasons to compel even the most competitive staff to come forward rather than repeat mistakes of the past.

That's really all some of us are saying, and really have been saying the whole time. They got off very light, and now that we live in the future we've learned that it let them get hold of a 1st overall pick.

I'm not even saying strip the pick, personally I'd have either frozen it in the lottery for a few years or moved it to the beginning of the playoff teams and then just fine the shit out of them and donate it, but it should have been something and I don't really think it's a stretch for you to understand why some of us feel that way.
Because cheating in the sport, gets you punishment in the sport. Doing what they did isn’t about draft picks. It’s about a lifetime ban.

Also I just think it’s ridiculous that it’s brought up now and it’s partly because people hate the Hawks for their recent success and think they didn’t suck long enough so they bring up other stuff from the past.

I also don’t associate the actions of individuals with the organization as a whole. I don’t think the Capitals are a bad organization because they employ someone who directly supports a global mass murderer.

Reactions: Pile and ChiHawks10

Putt Pirate

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 15, 2015
My question is, and always has been, What does draft pick punishment do to Stan Bowman or Joel ?? They are about to be working in the league next year LOL. Isn’t that way more insane??
Pens are looking into Bowman and I forget who for Q. Utterly ridiculous and unbelievable. And anyhow, Bowman is a train wreck GM regardless of the what he oversaw. He will sell the future to keep his job…..as Hawks fans are well aware of and living through. Any org considering him is obviously a gong show now and it will be a clown car when Bowman further ruins them.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I discussed this with someone yesterday. We would have to go and read the CBA, and the contracts between ownership, the NHLPA, and the league, in order to determine what actions the league can take against an organization. These are written in as LAW, by lawyers, so as to protect all parties.

If the contracts say the only punishment for off-ice indiscretions that can be levied are fines, what would you have the league do? Because they can't legally breach the contract... or they open themselves to the organization suing them. If contracts only list hockey operations related things as being punishable by the loss of draft picks, what would you have the NHL OR the Hawks do? Should the Hawks just volunteer to give the pick away?

There is soooo much more that goes into this shit, but people just don't stop and think.

You think Hawks fans are happy this happened? Go find our threads on HF Hawks where we discussed it all for months. Read through them.

But no, make our lives a living hell on here, when all we're happy about is the Hawks getting a good player in a draft, when we had absolutely NOTHING to do with this shit. Attack us for being fans of an organization(as in the current front office and staff) or players who had NOTHING to do with this shit. Throw wild claims out there that we're supporters of rape, sexual assault, and toxic culture, despite the NHL pretty much having a toxic culture overall. If one of the players on your team drove drunk, and killed someone, do you think I'd come call all your fans supporters of drunk driving, and vehicular manslaughter?

And we won't even get into the crude, disgusting, childish, and absolutely vile rape jokes cracked about a 17 year old kid who is going to get to live his dream and play in the NHL.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Because cheating in the sport, gets you punishment in the sport. Doing what they did isn’t about draft picks. It’s about a lifetime ban.
both.png

Penn State didn't cheat in the sport, there was no reason to "punish" kids who wanted to go there by limiting their scholarship ability in the future. Still happened. I think I've clarified this a little above but there's actually pretty good reason to establish a competitive punishment for teams found to be operating well outside what would be considered an ideal moral standard, even if it never touches the ice.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
both.png

Penn State didn't cheat in the sport, there was no reason to "punish" kids who wanted to go there by limiting their scholarship ability in the future. Still happened. I think I've clarified this a little above but there's actually pretty good reason to establish a competitive punishment for teams found to be operating well outside what would be considered an ideal moral standard, even if it never touches the ice.
Okay what’s your thoughts on Ovi. Russians supporting Putin.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I discussed this with someone yesterday. We would have to go and read the CBA, and the contracts between ownership, the NHLPA, and the league, in order to determine what actions the league can take against an organization. These are written in as LAW, by lawyers, so as to protect all parties.

If the contracts say the only punishment for off-ice indiscretions that can be levied are fines, what would you have the league do? Because they can't legally breach the contract... or they open themselves to the organization suing them. If contracts only list hockey operations related things as being punishable by the loss of draft picks, what would you have the NHL do? Should the Hawks just volunteer to give the pick away?

There is soooo much more that goes into this shit, but people just don't stop and think.

You think Hawks fans are happy this happened? Go find our threads on HF Hawks where we discussed it all for months. But no, make our lives a living hell on here, when all we're happy about is the Hawks getting a good player in a draft, when we had absolutely NOTHING to do with this shit. Attack us for being fans of an organization or players who had NOTHING to do with this shit. Throw wild claims out there that we're supporters of rape, sexual assault, and toxic culture, despite the NHL pretty much having a toxic culture overall. If one of the players on your team drove drunk, and killed someone, do you think I'd come call all your fans supporters of drunk driving, and vehicular manslaughter?
I wouldn't say that's an easy move to make but it would sure as shit be commendable. I wouldn't be calling their pledge for a culture change noise at that point, anyway, and I think a lot of other people might agree.

I recognize that this is personal and I won't speak for other people but I'm not attacking you. This shit happening never made me think that HFChicago is suddenly full of monsters, and we can't really help who we love or the lifelong affiliations and experiences that help us choose our teams. I don't think many of us are saying you don't deserve to be happy, but it's a tough pill to swallow when we also believe something should have happened that didn't and consider the conduct of ownership since.

If you can show me where I'm accusing any of you of personally supporting that shit I'll eat my words, but the reality is that it's moments like these that give that impression more than anything else. I get that you want people to be happy for you in your happy moment, but some of us aren't because we feel the Blackhawks as an organization didn't do shit to deserve it.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Talk is cheap. There’s a lot of bad people in the world. There is a lot of bad people in hockey. I’m not a bad person because I like the Blackhawks. The Blackhawks are not a disgusting organization because 3 or more people that worked there did vile shit.

If the pattern continues I’ll change my stance. Until then, I thought they handled it “fine”. Rocky is still a f***.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad