The Tank Megathread | 8 | The Tank Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Nashville and Colorado help as well as they are the 2 teams we are chasing for a playoff spot. Farther they move ahead of us the better

Exactly. We're closer to a wild-card spot than a division spot so all the central teams we're close to (Minny, Colorado, Nashville) need to keep winning along with Calgary and Zona.

Pretty decent outcome, just wish the Preds could have pulled it out in the SO.

Flames have 5 mins to score 2 and send it to OT. Considering this isn't last season the comeback is unlikely.

e/ And it's over... 3 minutes left and Ferkland took a penalty.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
At this point I care more about the WC teams staying ahead than I do about teams behind us catching up. While the latter would be nice, missing playoffs is more important in terms of at least securing a top 8-14 pick and giving management the public black eye that they deserve for this stupid playoff chase. Somehow Toronto's brain trust of Lamorello and Mike Babcock with who even knows how many cups between them are idiots and quitters for having the sense to call a spade a spade and chase a high pick and convert assets into more picks. But our management team with a Rookie President, Rookie GM, and Rookie Coach are brilliant in their dogged pursuit of a playoff spot.

Lamorello & Babcock -> Idiots

Benning & Willie -> Brilliant hockey minds

Let that sink in for a minute...

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
At this point I care more about the WC teams staying ahead than I do about teams behind us catching up. While the latter would be nice, missing playoffs is more important in terms of at least securing a top 8-14 pick and giving management the public black eye that they deserve for this stupid playoff chase. Somehow Toronto's brain trust of Lamorello and Mike Babcock with who even knows how many cups between them are idiots and quitters for having the sense to call a spade a spade and chase a high pick and convert assets into more picks. But our management team with a Rookie President, Rookie GM, and Rookie Coach are brilliant in their dogged pursuit of a playoff spot.

Hey that is just wrong... they are all Sophomores now... :sarcasm:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Hey that is just wrong... they are all Sophomores now... :sarcasm:

Hehe well rookie in the sense of their first crack at the job though maybe you're right, maybe it only applies to their first season. Haven't really thought about it before. I still kind of think of Benning as a rook though, even if it's not technically true ...

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
But our management team with a Rookie President, Rookie GM, and Rookie Coach are brilliant in their dogged pursuit of a playoff spot.

Think this might be more an ownership problem. It's like... imagine if a poster from the Anti-Tank thread owned the team. That's sorta where we are at the moment.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Yikes people are taking the pro tank vs anti tank thing way too seriously.

Besides the whole fanbase is pretty much ****ed if Benning dosen't sell and does the unthinkable and becomes a buyer and misses the playoffs which is the likely outcome.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Think this might be more an ownership problem. It's like... imagine if a poster from the Anti-Tank thread owned the team. That's sorta where we are at the moment.

I get that and am sympathetic to a degree, but at the same time I can't absolve Benning and Willie for making painfully shortsighted decisions just because of ownership's mandate. It may be at the risk of their jobs but you have to do what you believe is "right" and not simply be a puppet to a higher authority.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I get that and am sympathetic to a degree, but at the same time I can't absolve Benning and Willie for making painfully shortsighted decisions just because of ownership's mandate. It may be at the risk of their jobs but you have to do what you believe is "right" and not simply be a puppet to a higher authority.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Mike Gillis did.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
As long as we miss the playoffs we'll get a really good player in the draft, which is about 15 deep in high-end talent...not only that, even the 14th worst team has a 5% chance to get a top 3 pick (1-.99*.985*.98). The 10th worst team has ~ a 15% chance. On the other end, even the last place team only has ~50% chance of a top 3 pick.

If by some miracle we make the playoffs, that's not really the worst thing either, as hopefully we'll see some good hockey with our young players leading the way. Ideally for the future, we don't, I agree on that.

Everyone needs to lighten up!

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I'm fine with being buyers if it we simultaneously shipping out players and acquiring younger players.

For example try to get young players like Boedker who probably won't resign with Arizona for a pick would be very appealing.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about this whole thing. If Benning buys and we do not make the playoffs then he's probably fired or at least demoted.

Exquisite

Feb 9, 2016
Dumb as bricks.

Still baffles me that some people were and are still behind this buffoon

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm fine with being buyers if it we simultaneously shipping out players and acquiring younger players.

For example try to get young players like Boedker who probably won't resign with Arizona for a pick would be very appealing.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about this whole thing. If Benning buys and we do not make the playoffs then he's probably fired or at least demoted.

Uhhhh only if that player re-signs with Canucks after you give up prime assets...

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but a glimpse inside the mind of Jim Benning:

2C2WGX6.jpg

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The mind of a complete idiot.

The mind of a man who literally tells teams his bargaining position in trades.

Groan. Ya Jim. Imagine if instead of drafting Kane 1OA in 2007 Chicago had somehow made the playoffs instead and picked up some "valuable experience". No Kane on the team but a whole truckload of "valuable experience".

How many cups do they have today? 4? 6? 23? A billion?

Jesus I can't even ...

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Anti-Tankers are geniuses. They either believe in Benning, which means they get to cheer unequivocally for the Canucks, or they don't support Benning, but cheer anyways because it's better than being upset all the freaking time.

Then there's the Wet Blanket Brigade, aka us. :laugh:

Benning, I hope you're right about the 'playoff experience' philosophy. If you're wrong, you get fired and move on to another job. Us, we're stuck watching the next guy clean up your mess.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Anti-Tankers are geniuses. They either believe in Benning, which means they get to cheer unequivocally for the Canucks, or they don't support Benning, but cheer anyways because it's better than being upset all the freaking time.

Then there's the Wet Blanket Brigade, aka us. :laugh:

Benning, I hope you're right about the 'playoff experience' philosophy. If you're wrong, you get fired and move on to another job. Us, we're stuck watching the next guy clean up your mess.

Don't get upset at games but sure do get upset if anyone says something to spoil the little sunshine and lollipops thread they've got going on over there. Especially one poster who is in here on a daily basis tossing little grenades every chance but whines endlessly how he needs a thread where he can just be positive and not be "bullied" by all the big bad haters on this board. Whatta frickin load of self serving hypocrisy that all is.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but a glimpse inside the mind of Jim Benning:

2C2WGX6.jpg

Miller will be the number one goalie, McCann/Virtanen most likely scratched, Hutton getting destroyed by L.A or Chicago's forecheck, Dorsett playing more than Horvat etc.

Fire this buffoon ASAP :help:

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

:laugh: so true. And Shanahan.

Phew... So glad we have a "safe space" here
1905-safe-space.jpg

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Don't get upset at games but sure do get upset if anyone says something to spoil the little sunshine and lollipops thread they've got going on over there. Especially one poster who is in here on a daily basis tossing little grenades every chance but whines endlessly how he needs a thread where he can just be positive and not be "bullied" by all the big bad haters on this board. Whatta frickin load of self serving hypocrisy that all is.

:handclap: so true.

That threads only been active since they've been complaining about us

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Miller will be the number one goalie, McCann/Virtanen most likely scratched, Hutton getting destroyed by L.A or Chicago's forecheck, Dorsett playing more than Horvat etc.

Fire this buffoon ASAP :help:

But imagine how much experience McCann and Jake will soak up in 8 minutes of ice time in the first 2 periods of the game. I mean, no one ever said you had to actually *play* in the playoffs to get playoff experience right? I imagine the McPlan will have McCann and Virtanen swapping in every game anyway so that Vrbata hide on the ice on the Horvat line and Vey can get his 18+ minutes running the PP and scoring into his own net.

And we can hear all about how it was all worth it because Jake and Jared got to sit on the bench and/or practice with the team and "experience" the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad