The Tank Megathread | 8 | The Tank Awakens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzBuzz

Apr 7, 2011
I am pretty sure Jimbo will be selling at the deadline. I think him saying they might add was to just show other teams that he is not selling.

That way teams dont low ball him knowing Jimbo has to trade Hamhuis and Vrbata.

At least thats what I think.

You are giving him way too much credit. He has yet to show any short of shrewdness in his managing style.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Post trade deadline defense hopefully looks like this

Hutton Tanev
Sbisa Biega
Bart Weber/Pedan

that's a tanktastic defense that could give the oilers defense a run for it's money.

One Tanev injury away from a 10 game losing streak.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Like someone on TSN 1040 mentioned this morning. Canucks up 3 points at the deadline last year and Jimbo didnt make any moves.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
So looking at the schedule leading up to the deadline what does everyone think:

Toronto (L10 = 3-5-2)
Minnesota (L10 = 1-7-2)
Anaheim (L10 = 7-2-1)
Calgary (L10 = 5-5-0)
Colorado (L10 = 5-4-1)
Ottawa (L10 = 3-7-1)
San Jose (L10 = 5-2-3)

We'll probably lose to San Jose and Anaheim, but the rest of those games look disturbingly winnable. Given our performance so far I'm pretty sure we'll go like 3-1-3 or something.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

Toronto (L10 = 3-5-2)
Minnesota (L10 = 1-7-2)
Anaheim (L10 = 7-2-1)
Calgary (L10 = 5-5-0)
Colorado (L10 = 5-4-1)
Ottawa (L10 = 3-7-1)
San Jose (L10 = 5-2-3)

We'll probably lose to San Jose and Anaheim, but the rest of those games look disturbingly winnable.

I fully expect our goaltending to cool down a bit and i dont expect the offense will make up for it.

We will beat Toronto and Ottawa Lose to Minnesota, Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado ( OTL), and San Jose.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Lots of big games today:

- MTL @ BUF (need MTL win, OTW preferred)
- PIT @ CAR (need CAR win)
- COL @ DET (need COL win)
- NSH @ TBL (need NSH win)
- CGY @ ARI (doesn't really matter, just get it to OT)

Last edited:

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Edler and Sutter out long term and Hank isn't 100%. How do you not sell at the deadline? c'mon Benning You now have a perfect excuse to sell if there wasn't before. Any hopes of making the playoffs just went out the window (although with March schedule they were already gone...just not in Jimbo's head)

Here's the problem. Benning thinks the Canucks are a WAYY better team their the record indicates. He looks at the standings and sees us out 2 points from a playoff spot.

Then he looks at all of our OT losses (which were very unlucky) and he thinks to himself "There's no 3 on 3 in the playoffs. GREAT!"

Then he looks at all the injuries we had over the season, and we had a ton... and he thinks to himself "Imagine if we were healthy. GREAT!"

So he won't stop pushing for the playoffs no matter what. He will keep going. He thinks experience in the playoffs for the young guys is what is needed and he also has grand illusions of "Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen".

I am convinced we will make the playoffs even though I am pro-tank and I feel like the odds are way stacked against us. I am convinced of this because we aren't lucky enough to trade Vrbata and Hamhuis. We must watch them go UFA with no assets. It is sad. But that's what must happen unfortunately.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Not this again, last time I checked Peter Chiarellie was the GM at that time.

As I understand it Benning bears all blame and merits no credit no matter the position in the hierarchy. Boston is an old tale. The unwillingness to tank, as if any recent Nuck GM had a choice, is the latest.

I'm surprised at the intensity of the tank v anti tank factions. You guys know we don't have say in the matter, right? :laugh: Que sera, sera. Nor is ownership's position out of line. Attendance in every pro league is strongly correlated with winning. The market would never survive Oiler duration of futility. Soft or even weak market > financial bloodbath.

Love me some high picks as much as the next guy, but if they ain't coming... and if Boston can win it all with a core comprised of 2nd rounders, a semi competent drafter can certainly do it on the backs of mid 1st picks. Ultimately, it's about having a critical mass of elite talent, not half a dozen top 5 or even 10 picks.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Time to relax on the tank a bit *sigh*

The schedule is just too favorable for Canucks right now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Toronto (L10 = 3-5-2)
Minnesota (L10 = 1-7-2)
Anaheim (L10 = 7-2-1)
Calgary (L10 = 5-5-0)
Colorado (L10 = 5-4-1)
Ottawa (L10 = 3-7-1)
San Jose (L10 = 5-2-3)

We'll probably lose to San Jose and Anaheim, but the rest of those games look disturbingly winnable. Given our performance so far I'm pretty sure we'll go like 3-1-3 or something.

I think they go 4-2-1 despite being outplayed most games.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
As I understand it Benning bears all blame and merits no credit no matter the position in the hierarchy. Boston is an old tale. The unwillingness to tank, as if any recent Nuck GM had a choice, is the latest.

I'm surprised at the intensity of the tank v anti tank factions. You guys know we don't have say in the matter, right? :laugh: Que sera, sera. Nor is ownership's position out of line. Attendance in every pro league is strongly correlated with winning. The market would never survive Oiler duration of futility. Soft or even weak market > financial bloodbath.

Love me some high picks as much as the next guy, but if they ain't coming... and if Boston can win it all with a core comprised of 2nd rounders, a semi competent drafter can certainly do it on the backs of mid 1st picks. Ultimately, it's about having a critical mass of elite talent, not half a dozen top 5 or even 10 picks.

huh?

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Like someone on TSN 1040 mentioned this morning. Canucks up 3 points at the deadline last year and Jimbo didnt make any moves.

I firmly believe that willing to buy comment is pure posturing, no way he goes for an ufa unless it's a trade and sign deal like with sutter. I could also see him go after a dman from Winnipeg.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

We are agreed on the bolded. And if we are able to acquire that talent in later rounds (esp the 2nd) like Boston did then I'm down for that. But I have watched the Canucks fritter away draft after draft since 2005 with a paltry handful of mediocre NHLers to show for it (Raymond, Grabner, Hodgson). I am hardly confident that we are going to replicate the success Boston had when they found Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand hence my preference for a top 5 or top 10 talent to basically "fool proof" the process.

I mean I get that it is "possible" to build a team mainly by plucking gems out of later rounds - it gets pointed out in this thread almost daily - however I have yet to see any indication that THIS TEAM is capable of doing that. So if my choice is *maybe* lucking out and finding a gem in the late first or later rounds or *probably* finding a gem in the top 10 (or later rounds) then I'm going to hedge on the side of *probably*.

Besides what is it really costing us? 4-5 playoff games and the chance to get embarrassed again? Nah, I think I'll pass until I see something in this team that makes me think they can win multiple games against teams other than Toronto, Edmonton, Columbus, etc. Because from what I've watched so far this year, that won't be happening this spring.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I firmly believe that willing to buy comment is pure posturing, no way he goes for an ufa unless it's a trade and sign deal like with sutter. I could also see him go after a dman from Winnipeg.

Everything Benning says he basically does. Has he actually done any posturing so far? He seems like a very poor poker player.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Toronto (L10 = 3-5-2)
Minnesota (L10 = 1-7-2)
Anaheim (L10 = 7-2-1)
Calgary (L10 = 5-5-0)
Colorado (L10 = 5-4-1)
Ottawa (L10 = 3-7-1)
San Jose (L10 = 5-2-3)

Those are very key games. I really really pray we go 0-7 during that stretch. Hopefully we get absolutely blown the **** out and run out of the building most of those games.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
At the point of starting to wish injuries on certain players. Need to go like 2-5 for dumb**** Benning not to screw up the deadline.

A loss to the leafs would be so sweet.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Gary is calling our goaltending "elite" guys.....time to plan the parade route for that Stanley cup. Miller is channeling his inner Hasek, and we are going to ride the tandem all the way to the finals.

How can the media types be so clueless seeing that product eek out wins to barely try to squeeze into that final wild card spot?

There is no sane reason to not tank this season.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm flabbergasted these idiots haven't started selling yet. 2 weeks ago we sucked since then we've lost Edler our #1 D and Sutter whose a capable 3C at worst. How are we even considering not selling yet?? Trade Hammer, Vrbata and Vey if we can.

Hopefully we can get lucky in lottery and at worst get the 3rd pick and take one of the Finns. Then we convince Stammer to sign 7x9.5 per. All that would be left is build a D corpse but we'd already have a decent core just needing a top 4 RHD and bottom pair RHD.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
McCann Stamkos Laine/PuljuJarvi
Baertschi Horvat Hansen
Dorsett Sutter Etem

Edler Tanev
Hutton ?????
Sbisa ?????

Miller
Markstrom

This group could compete depending on who that top 4 RHD we could get.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad