The Tank Megathread | 8 | The Tank Awakens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
It's going to be REALLY hard for the tank movement to fail. There's just too many inter-divisional games coming up. Every night someone is going to be getting points. Just look:

Tonight:
CGY vs ARI

Tomorrow:
WPG vs EDM
ARI vs SJS

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Teams that have never picked 1st overall. Anaheim, Carolina, Minnesota, Nashville, San Jose, Canucks and the Flames.

Only 2 out of 7 have won the Stanley Cup and even they haven't won recently.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's going to be REALLY hard for the tank movement to fail. There's just too many inter-divisional games coming up. Every night someone is going to be getting points. Just look:

Tonight:
CGY vs ARI

Tomorrow:
WPG vs EDM
ARI vs SJS

Hoping for Arizona in OT

Edmonton in OT

Arizona in OT

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008

Tonight:
CGY vs ARI

Tomorrow:
WPG vs EDM
ARI vs SJS

Yes but Tank chances would improve drastically if the Canucks were to just lose games. That and other teams around us getting points would help alot.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Our schedule is soft at the worst time though.

Leafs next with 29 million payroll on the ice not injured or traded.

We now have to worry about Minnesota and Nashville for the wildcard now who are both tanking and in the midst of tough schedules.

Winning both those road games this week was costly to the tank.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Our schedule is soft at the worst time though.

Leafs next with 29 million payroll on the ice not injured or traded.

We now have to worry about Minnesota and Nashville for the wildcard now who are both tanking and in the midst of tough schedules.

Winning both those road games this week was costly to the tank.

I think Saturday game vs Leafs is the only game we might win. I think it will go downhill from there.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I do love how everyone seemingly neglects what actually happened with the 'successful' tanking teams. Allow us to review, hmm?

Chicago was perpetually awful not only due to a dearth of quality NHL, but an owner who became so infamous in his frugality, fans booed his eulogy. They faced numerous seasons where merely 10,000 fans showing up was considered a positive. Even finishing dead last repeatedly did not provide immediate success-- rather it took a decade of development, trading and an overhaul of management from the top down before they finally began to turn the corner. Chicago, in fact, looks worse than Edmonton come the early 2000s. Few pay attention to their sordid past now that they have won three Stanley cup, however the Blackhawks were little more than a laughing stock once upon a time.

Tampa is an odd example, considering they may lose their tank acquired asset for nothing, and are primarily winning on talented drafted in later rounds. They, essentially, prove the precise opposite that the only path to success is through being dreadful for a decade.

LA faced threats of relocation prior to Gretzky's influence, and even thereafter struggled for years at any sort of relevancy. They lucked into Kopitar through the Crosby lottery sweepstakes, along with Montreal opting to draft a goaltender in lieu of their much needed center.

So, yes. Let's be Chicago! We can perpetually fail for the reminder of the 2010s, ruin our youth until we replace them with a multitude of 1st overall selections and have an arena of 13,000 again! Or perhaps we try a better solution and development our young prospects in a winning environment..

People also need to appreciate this is a business venture. No owner will intentionally tank and risk losing revenue. Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of fans do not actually care about draft picks or obscure prospects suddenly performing. Ben Hutton? I guarantee not a single knew of his existence, let alone were excitedly awaiting his arrival. Hell, it took a full season before people recognized Horvat. Not to mention his struggles this season are entirely why I prefer our current development philosophy. Imagine the difficulty he would face were he relied upon as our de facto leader because the Sedins and everyone else were traded for picks.

As it stands, we might actually turn the corner while the Sedins are still premium players. I'd rather that than loiter in the basement for only a 20% shot at Matthews.

What makes you think that? What signs have you seen that this team is even trending up let alone close to "turning the corner" (whatever that even means)? If anything I'd argue we are trending down and a long, long ways from turning the corner. Unless you think the Sedins will remain premium players into their mid-40's, in which case you may be right.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What makes you think that? What signs have you seen that this team is even trending up let alone close to "turning the corner" (whatever that even means)? If anything I'd argue we are trending down and a long, long ways from turning the corner. Unless you think the Sedins will remain premium players into their mid-40's, in which case you may be right.

I believe in another thread he also stated that if we signed Stamkos he wouldn't supplant Henrik as the 1C.

Considering last game Linden Vey had more ice-time than Henrik.....

IMO the Sedins being here for the duration of their contract is a complete waste. We don't have much value left in the organization thanks to the Linden-Benning regime. Moving the Sedins could bring us a huge haul that would shape this team for years. The idea that a quick retool can happen is a pipe dream at best.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I believe in another thread he also stated that if we signed Stamkos he wouldn't supplant Henrik as the 1C.

Considering last game Linden Vey had more ice-time than Henrik.....

IMO the Sedins being here for the duration of their contract is a complete waste. We don't have much value left in the organization thanks to the Linden-Benning regime. Moving the Sedins could bring us a huge haul that would shape this team for years. The idea that a quick retool can happen is a pipe dream at best.

Sedins have had a good year but have slowed down considerably of late. I would expect more of that for the next two years.

I like them, respect them, and appreciate all they have done but have watched them for 15 years. We really cant move fully forward until that contract is over 2 more years from now. For me personally it is a long wait. I have appreciated their game, but have seen enough of a slow, cycle game and look forward to a new dynamic, a new make up of the Vancouver Canucks. It has been the same for a lot of years now. Even if they squeak in the playoffs its pretty normal that a Sedin led team will be pounded in the first round.

While i still enjoy the odd great play from Henrik to Daniel..it is watching McCann to Virtanen the other night or Bo and Bae that makes this team at all salvageable to watch right now. Or Hutton or Markstrom's goaltending.

This team is so due for a fresh new wave it is not even funny.

Last edited:

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Moving the Sedins could bring us a huge haul that would shape this team for years.

Sure it could but it's a moot point. There is a 0.01% chance (and that's being generous) that the Sedins get moved in the next two years. The only team interested in them would be a cup contender and no cup contender will have room for $14 million cap for multi-years. And of course that's not the only reason they won't be traded (family issues, kids in school, they live here, they have said they want to retire here, etc).

However, TWO years from now (February 2018), in the last year of their contract... now that's a different story. IF we are out of a playoff spot and still struggling in February 2018, then I could see them being traded to a playoff contender who could make cap room for them for a few months. But even that would be very tricky to do.

I mean, let's assume it's 2018 right now... and the sedins waive their NTC.... and Jim Benning tries to trade them. Can you give me an example of a trade that would work? What team would be interested in them right now? What would they give us? And how would their cap space work out? I'd like to see some examples because sometimes I think it would be close to impossible.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I take solace in the fact that we're a bad team, and we're going to end up with a top 10 (hopefully better) pick this year.

I do not take solace in the fact that Benning hasn't done a terribly good job so far, and might botch the next few weeks with some bad moves that don't move us towards grabbing more futures. Even if we beat some really crappy teams before the TDL, we're toast by season's end anyways.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
That means we pretty much don't have Sutter for the rest of the season, and Edler won't make it back in time to make any impact on the playoffs. It'll take a bloody miracle to make the post-season here. Please no Weinrich or Carney moves...those were so, so bad.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
This is what Canucks SHOULD do.

- Trade away Vrbata for anything. Trade Hamhuis for good return and Hansen if someone offers you something like a 1st round pick.
- Start playing younger players like Pedan and give more ice time to kids.
- If Henrik is playing injured. Let him rest. No need to make his injury worse.
and Finally
- Tank. Tank. Tank. Tank. Tank.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Seriously, with that updated injury timeline I hope Benning doesn't PUSH FOR THE PLAYOFFS and buoy that decision making with "We'll have a fresh top pairing D and a top 2 C ready for when we make the playoffs!!!!"

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Edler and Sutter out long term and Hank isn't 100%. How do you not sell at the deadline? c'mon Benning You now have a perfect excuse to sell if there wasn't before. Any hopes of making the playoffs just went out the window (although with March schedule they were already gone...just not in Jimbo's head)

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Seriously, with that updated injury timeline I hope Benning doesn't PUSH FOR THE PLAYOFFS and buoy that decision making with "We'll have a fresh top pairing D and a top 2 C ready for when we make the playoffs!!!!"

I am pretty sure Jimbo will be selling at the deadline. I think him saying they might add was to just show other teams that he is not selling.

That way teams dont low ball him knowing Jimbo has to trade Hamhuis and Vrbata.

At least thats what I think.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
This management group has only disappointed me since being hired, so I fully expect us to be buyers at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad