The Tank Megathread | 8 | The Tank Awakens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Young players need to grow up in a competitive environment. Wanting to make the playoffs while rebuilding is a philosophy I fully support. It's either that or become Edmonton.

But that shouldn't mean pending UFA's should be let go for free. Hammer and Vrbata need to be traded for future's asap

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Young players need to grow up in a competitive environment. Wanting to make the playoffs while rebuilding is a philosophy I fully support. It's either that or become Edmonton.

But that shouldn't mean pending UFA's should be let go for free. Hammer and Vrbata need to be traded for future's asap

I can't wait till Edmonton is good so this narrative can end.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Yes because teams like LA, Chicago, Washington, and Tampa Bay don't have any high end players they received via tanking and having extremely high draft selections. It's either what we're doing now, or Edmonton (which is still better than what we're doing now)! Great observation!

But seriously can we just delete posts that include this tired argument about "Turning into Edmonton"? This has been re-hashed over, and over, and over, and over again in these tank threads.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Yes because teams like LA, Chicago, Washington, and Tampa Bay don't have any high end players they received via tanking and having extremely high draft selections. It's either what we're doing now, or Edmonton (which is still better than what we're doing now)! Great observation!

But seriously can we just delete posts that include this tired argument about "Turning into Edmonton"? This has been re-hashed over, and over, and over, and over again in these tank threads.

and anti tankers complained about Sbisa lol. At least he is ON our team. Some people seem obsessed with a team that isn't ours.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Or you become Calgary and set the rebuild back and settle for four years of mediocrity because you mistakenly thought the team was any good?

Goes both ways.

You need elite talent. We don't have any coming up in system. The easiest way to get it is in the draft. Chicago, LA, Tampa all found their core pieces by tanking.

Maybe you luck out and find a Jamie Benn in the 5th round. Maybe you can steal away a Tyler Seguin. But I wouldn't want to bank on those things happening. It's unlikely.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I have no problem with acquiring Stamkos in free agency.

Or Luoi Eriksson for that matter.

But if we are going to do that we better sell and at least tank/not buy to get the highest possible draft and we better get a elite player. Because if our recent 2 top 10 picks don't pan out we are not going to be successful in this rebuild/retool. If we pick up a good prospect we need to hope to god they turn into a elite prospect or we'll be in limbo. No closer to a cup then we are right now. Just ridding out mediocrity.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Tank Enthusiast let me ask a question

Do you consider this season as the end of the rebuild if we go for broke and sell, or are the Sedins tenure when we are officially done "rebuilding"

Bowser Matthews Virtanen
Shinkaruk Horvat Bartschi
_______ McCann Etem
Hansen Sutter ______

Tanev _____
Hutton Subban
Pedan ______

Demko

What more do we need, We sprinkle in some veteran free agent signings and we aren't far off growing our team from this group of prospects, for every guy in that lineup who doesn't pan out we can hope for the best from 2017 draft picks and so on

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
The team doesn't have to record wins for the kids to learn to be competitive.
I would argue winning games like we are now doesn't do much for the young guys since the stellar goaltending is covering up lapses in D.

Edmonton is a poor example because its fault lies in the construction of its team. You can't win in this league with a one dimensional team. Especially when the one dimension is soft skill and not steady team defence.

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
I think we need one can't miss/sure-fire/elite piece. The guy who will lead this team to the cup. All the complimentary pieces are in place, and any missing will need to be filled by trades/free agency when the time is right. A true #1 D or #1 C superstar is what the team is missing. Once we have that, we plug the rest of the holes via trades and free agency and maybe a couple of surprise draft picks surpass expectations.

If we get that piece this year, the tank should end this year. Then we look to build on our foundation. Not saying we start selling off draft picks, but the focus should be playoff experience for the young guns. Then maybe after a couple years, the team will be ready to take the next step. That's when you make the big free agency splash or trade. From there, it'll be trying to put the finishing touches on a core that is hopefully good enough to win the cup.

If we don't get that elite piece this year, then hopefully we get it next year:help:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The team doesn't have to record wins for the kids to learn to be competitive.
I would argue winning games like we are now doesn't do much for the young guys since the stellar goaltending is covering up lapses in D.

Edmonton is a poor example because its fault lies in the construction of its team. You can't win in this league with a one dimensional team. Especially when the one dimension is soft skill and not steady team defence.

The team has the 2nd least amount of wins in the league. So yeah, anyone arguing wins are essential is pretty much condemning this years team and it's effect on the kids development.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Its coming, now that Edmonton has a solid 1 and 2 center, they will start looking D and goal.

In 5 or 6 years all these people will be saying I wish we did what Edmonton did. :shakehead

you want 10 years of **** ? Edmonton is not the the model to follow here

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Saying the Edmonton situation is the only alternative is to totally disregard what other teams have done thru a rebuild or thru the draft.

It is not the only alternative. Like you have to a rebuild on the fly or you end up like Edmonton? Any look at the history of the NHL shows that isn't true.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Tank Enthusiast let me ask a question

Do you consider this season as the end of the rebuild if we go for broke and sell, or are the Sedins tenure when we are officially done "rebuilding"

Bowser Matthews Virtanen
Shinkaruk Horvat Bartschi
_______ McCann Etem
Hansen Sutter ______

Tanev _____
Hutton Subban
Pedan ______

Demko

What more do we need, We sprinkle in some veteran free agent signings and we aren't far off growing our team from this group of prospects, for every guy in that lineup who doesn't pan out we can hope for the best from 2017 draft picks and so on
I dont see why the Sedins can't be part of the end game when the tank is complete (which i'm sure some disagree with).

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
McDavid got 5 points tonight...Henrik got his first 5 point game this season.

You have to tank and get a good pick to make a contender in this league.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
some saltiness is emerging in that anti tank thread after tonights results :laugh:

calgary is 3 points back with a game in hand :laugh:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Tough stretch for the tank as we are in the midst of a 10 game set where the average win% of the opposition is just .506 (based on standings prior to the CBJ game). Anaheim is the hardest team we face in this stretch while 5 of the teams were at .500 or lower.

However ...

Things get much tougher as we near the Feb 29 TDL. Yes timing sucks, but better late than never. Starting Feb 28 we begin a run of 5 games where we play SJ, NYI, SJ, SJ, LA (combined win% .594).

Then it softens again a bit for 8 games from Mar 9 to 24 where we play teams with an average .518 win%.

Finally the last 9 games get tougher as the opposition has a .558 win%. This is actually dragged down by Edmonton and Calgary whom we face in the final 3 games. Hopefully at that point we are so buried and mentally out of it that those teams run the table on us.

So this is my way of saying take heart faithful tankists. While things will look bumpy for the next 2 weeks, this cream puff stretch - poorly timed as it is for the TDL - will eventually end so even if we are a few games above .500 after it all, there is a very good chance we'll drop back down in either the next 5 game set or the final 9 game set. For the time being, just keeping around .500 is probably a fine accomplishment.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
There's activity in that thread? Was legit dead for 2 weeks :laugh:
it's turned into a trash talking the pro tank crowd thread :laugh:

i thought think this could be an appropriate theme going forward for HF canucks:

554b8a4d89081.jpg

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
you want 10 years of **** ? Edmonton is not the the model to follow here

Then don't suck at rebuilding.

Then don't waste the 4 or 5 1st round picks/equivalent prospects you could/should get from trading away unwanted vets. Or the extra 2nd, 3rd etc picks.

Then don't waste picks on veterans.

Then don't waste money on bad contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad