The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Not necessarily.

A buyout is a clean beak. A trade would have complications neither party may want to deal with.
its actually about as unclean of a break as possible 5 more years of Skinner cap penalty next year being the worst. a 50% retention trade would be easier for the Sabres to handle.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Philadelphia acquires seventh overall pick; Ottawa acquires Joel Farabee, 2024 first-round pick (via Florida Panthers), 2025 second-round pick (via Anaheim Ducks), 2025 fourth-round pick

Philadelphia acquires 11th overall pick; Buffalo acquires Travis Konecny (extended to $8.5 million cap-hit contract over eight years on July 1)

Since Farabee and Konecny have been kicked around as potential Sabres trade targets, I thought this was interesting.

I would be surprised if the Sabres traded for and then signed a top 6 winger to a deal like that Konecny extension.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I think Skinner wants the cash and then the control over where he plays next more than getting traded.
Not necessarily.

A buyout is a clean beak. A trade would have complications neither party may want to deal with.
My thing is, if he's saying he wants out as well, then let's work together and get you all of your money and find something that works for all parties.

But maybe he and his agent believe they can get all the money back anyways and are adamant about hitting FA. Maybe he's willing to go on a 1 year prove it because I doubt he's getting multiple years from any real contender for enough money to make up the difference.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

Given that Chad has said watch for a potential Sabres-Caps trade, this is interesting.
That looks like a good deal to me.

I would be surprised if the Sabres traded for and then signed a top 6 winger to a deal like that Konecny extension.
If Konecny only costs 11 and we can extend him, do it yesterday.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
its actually about as unclean of a break as possible 5 more years of Skinner cap penalty next year being the worst. a 50% retention trade would be easier for the Sabres to handle.
Its clean in that it’s a single action that separates the two parties. One the Sabres have full control over and no one else is involved. Then both parties move on. The Sabres can get on with their team building with that sorted at the very start of the offseason.

A trade would require Skinner to sign off on wherever he goes due to his NMC. There is no team likely to take on his contract as is, so retention is needed. But even with retention, the amount of teams will still be limited. They’d need to find a team Skinner is willing to go to and is willing to take on his retained deal (4.5mil at 50%). It could happen quickly. It could also drag on through the offseason.

I agree that the best case scenario would be a trade with 50% retention. I just don’t know how realistic that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjordy and Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My thing is, if he's saying he wants out as well, then let's work together and get you all of your money and find something that works for all parties.

But maybe he and his agent believe they can get all the money back anyways and are adamant about hitting FA. Maybe he's willing to go on a 1 year prove it because I doubt he's getting multiple years from any real contender for enough money to make up the difference.
I am going off of the EF & JM conversation where they said that Skinner was unwilling to waive his NMC and prefers to be bought out and then have full control over where he plays next season.

If Konecny only costs 11 and we can extend him, do it yesterday.
Given how the Skinner extension worked out, I am skeptical that the Sabres want to commit to Konecny for $8.5M per for his 28-35yo seasons before he plays a single shift for the Sabres.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I am going off of the EF & JM conversation where they said that Skinner was unwilling to waive his NMC and prefers to be bought out and then have full control over where he plays next season.
Yeah in all likelihood its a buyout. Was going off what @Fjordy said he read about him wanting to leave as well and how that could potentially change things if it was true. Who knows, we're gonna find out very soon after tonight.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Given that Chad has said watch for a potential Sabres-Caps trade, this is interesting.
As far as styles go, I think Jensen may be a better fit in this defense than Joki. We need another defenseman to PK. I'd assume he does.

Dowd would be a solid addition to the 4th line, but Adams better be eyeing a top-9 C as well. Im also a bit intrigued at what Krebs can do this season on the 4th line, but understand why Adams would prefer Dowd.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I’m with you and that would be the best case scenario for the Sabres.

As you touched on, it hinges on what Skinner is looking for. If he just wants the freedom to pick where he goes. Then buyout is path for that from his pov.

I’m not sure how much making back the money will matter to Skinner’s camp. Or at least making it back in the time frame of the 3 years left on his deal. I’m not dismissing it. But he has 76mil in career earnings and would be guaranteed 90+mil with the buyout. Thats whether he signed another deal or not. I don’t see him retiring for a bit either.

EDIT: I’d add averaging 2.46mil (7.4mil) over the next 3 years seems pretty doable for Skinner.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I had glossed over Farabee as a target, but I just realized he's likely been on their radar for a bit

1. Syracuse kid, so likely some local-ish ties and might be excited about coming to Buffalo
2. USHL product and played for Seth Appert. So the staff knows him.
3. More than a few glove drops

Farabee screams Kevyn Adams type targets. In light of likely Skinner buyout upcoming, Farabee checks quite a few boxes.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I had glossed over Farabee as a target, but I just realized he's likely been on their radar for a bit

1. Syracuse kid, so likely some local-ish ties and might be excited about coming to Buffalo

Farabee screams Kevyn Adams type targets. In light of likely Skinner buyout upcoming, Farabee checks quite a few boxes.

He also played on a Jr Sabres team at the Quebec Pee Wee tournament in 2012-13.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

Farabee seems completely redundant on our roster IMO.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I read that he had the same surgery as Eichel. That would be funny. I would certainly like to see someone more proven and influential than Farabee, but I think he's not bad. He had the best season of his career with Torts, he's relatively young and I think he'll cost less than a player like Necas.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I read that he had the same surgery as Eichel. That would be funny. I would certainly like to see someone more proven and influential than Farabee, but I think he's not bad. He had the best season of his career with Torts, he's relatively young and I think he'll cost less than a player like Necas.

Yup, he has had disc replacement surgery.

I am sure the fact that a few NHLers have had this surgery, including Eichel, changes the calculus for the Sabres doctors.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Farabee:

24 years old, had his most productive season in his career, scoring 50 points (22 + 28).

Contract 5M x 4Y.

2-way forward who provides secondary offense
Has the skill set to play anywhere in the top 9 forward group
Primary ice comes at ES and PP. Averages around 15:00 TOI.
Good skater. Pushes up ice with pace.
Responsible. Reliable detail off the puck. Recognizes what's required in all three zones.
Understated vision. Sees the ice. Makes plays.
Doesn't do a ton of heavy lifting along the wall in the offensive zone
Willing to block shots in the defensive zone.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Really really depends on the price ($7 I'd do it) but for arguments sake if we are gonna do him or Buch extended for a big tag I'd much rather do Buch.
I take Buch all day over Konecny but I don't want either of them for 8 years. Unless it's tradeable with zero trade protections. But even then...we should be staying away from long deals like that.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Just curious if you believe that T Peg told GMJB June 30th to trade ROR before the bonus was due or back in January - March timeframe of that year and GMJB spent months shopping him while trying to talk T Peg out of dealing him?

No idea but don't believe any GM would want to handcuff himself on June 30 a day before bonus was due. It was such a terrible deal when you consider the cap dumps we took. We got super lucky with one guy who just quit hockey, and we got lucky again on Tage Thompson, who was really the best Blues prospect at the time. I still might like Robert Thomas better but TT's improvement makes this deal not vile.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Why exactly
Dowd for 4th line C. Jensen brings a bit of what we lack in the d core and can PK. There would need to be more moves, but I'm fine with them as depth-role players.

Jensen played nearly 20 mins a night for the Caps last year. Perhaps he can still operate at a high enough level in the top-4? Can he play his offside? If so- worse comes to worse- he's on the 3rd pairing with Clifton and is insurance if Sammy goes down.

Reactions: Zman5778 and Fjordy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad