TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
What's really missing is a celebrity cameo, along the lines of Ed Sheeran. Can we get Mummy TayTay in here?

Jokes aside, this is really good tv. A simple story about a family torn apart by lust and power. I don't need to see what's going on with the Starks etc. Let them harp on about the evils north of the wall, we all know that turns out to be a damp squib. I groaned when they showed the wall in the first episode, what a waste....

I'll toss another vote into the "Cristan Cole is the biggest bitch ever" gang. What a piece of shit.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I thought episode 2 was a bit of a snoozefest...

Just about every scene was just 2 characters talking about stuff I didn't particularly care about

Of course, there were some highlights - Otto's scene with the King, for example - but I was kinda bored through most of it... or at least not as engaged as I'd hoped to be

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I thought episode 2 was a bit of a snoozefest...

Just about every scene was just 2 characters talking about stuff I didn't particularly care about

Of course, there were some highlights - Otto's scene with the King, for example - but I was kinda bored through most of it... or at least not as engaged as I'd hoped to be

Lemme guess - Season 8 was your favorite season of Game of Thrones.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1719501072692.png

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It wouldn't surprise me if Cole makes an awful Hand and gets replaced by Larys, who may even play a hand (no pun) in undermining him, if only out of jealousy over Alicent (and her feet).
He clearly does not seem to be up to the task, the question is just how you remove him. Alicent isn’t gonna dump him. I’d imagine at some point she’ll have to make a decision between him and her father.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
That occurred to me while watching the latest episode, as well. GoT was also largely humorless, but did have characters (especially Tyrion and Varys) making witty, wry cracks now and then. This show takes it even further and barely ever has a character even grin, much less smile. Everyone in the show seems miserable, and I think that that's the point, since they take it out on others and escalate conflict. Also, in GoT, there was some affection between family members (ex. among the Starks and between Cersei and Jaime--no jokes, please--and Tyrion). Here, it feels like no one likes one another--Alicent doesn't seem to love even her own children--and there's a bit more friction, resentment and jealousy. Finally, in GoT, there was a feeling that one of the factions was going to win or that all of them would band together to defeat a common foe, but, here, it feels like no one's going to be a winner when this is over. It's a more serious and depressing show by design, I think, and I don't mind. Lightening the mood with humor would just undermine some of what makes the show stand out, IMO.
If you remove Tyrion from GoT the show looses 70% of it's humor, which was just dick jokes anyways.

But there was a reason for Tyrion's humour, he used it as a tool to get people to pay attention to him.

In HOTD, there are no jokesters. Everyone is quite serious about what is going on because they are all invested in their own sides claim to the throne. Oh, and also there are WMD's in the form of Dragon's. The fear of flying nukes neuters a lot of humor that may be had.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If you remove Tyrion from GoT the show looses 70% of it's humor, which was just dick jokes anyways.

But there was a reason for Tyrion's humour, he used it as a tool to get people to pay attention to him.

In HOTD, there are no jokesters. Everyone is quite serious about what is going on because they are all invested in their own sides claim to the throne. Oh, and also there are WMD's in the form of Dragon's. The fear of flying nukes neuters a lot of humor that may be had.
Please. Jamie was a hell of an insult comic.

Inspired me and some friends to come up with Westros specific Yo Mamma jokes. "Yo Mamma so fat, before he was seen with her Lord Baelish was called Bigfinger."

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

The book had Mushroom the jester who provided comic relief. The show cut him, though I can understand why as that character would be tricky to do on tv without coming across as offensive.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The book had Mushroom the jester who provided comic relief. The show cut him, though I can understand why as that character would be tricky to do on tv without coming across as offensive.
The point of Mushrooms inclusion in the book wasn't to provide comic relief though. His narrative was included to sow doubt on the many various claims made by the other narrators, so in the end you had no idea who the hell was telling the truth.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad