The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Dowd for 4th line C. Jensen brings a bit of what we lack in the d core and can PK. There would need to be more moves, but I'm fine with them as depth-role players.

Jensen played nearly 20 mins a night for the Caps last year. Perhaps he can still operate at a high enough level in the top-4? Can he play his offside? If so- worse comes to worse- he's on the 3rd pairing with Clifton and is insurance if Sammy goes down.
Why would he play LD in 3rd pair? He always seems to play RD. If they trade for Jensen then he is a partner for Power or Byram in second pair.

FqGm3F8WAAQjKE1.jpg

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Why exactly
Dowd is a pretty perfect 4C on a good contract. Good on faceoffs, strong on the PK. Not going to give a lot offensively, but that's OK. Brings some veteran experience that isn't washed up like EJ was.

Jensen is a RD that is a little more rugged and can PK. Not 100% sure he can play 20 min a game anymore, but if he can give us 18 min of solid 5v5 and PK, that's plenty. Would be a good foil for one of our more offensive guys (specifically Power or Byram).

Both guys have been around (each joined the Caps the summer after they won the Cup) and have playoff experience. Both are still playable at a level which we need.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If acquisition cost is factored in then I think DeBrusk is the most attractive winger target. His salary ask should also be significantly more palatable.
I like DeBrusk too, but Buch is a more productive and consistent player. The problem with DeBrusk is that he is a UFA, and I am skeptical that such UFAs will come to Buffalo.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Dowd is a pretty perfect 4C on a good contract. Good on faceoffs, strong on the PK. Not going to give a lot offensively, but that's OK. Brings some veteran experience that isn't washed up like EJ was.

Jensen is a RD that is a little more rugged and can PK. Not 100% sure he can play 20 min a game anymore, but if he can give us 18 min of solid 5v5 and PK, that's plenty. Would be a good foil for one of our more offensive guys (specifically Power or Byram).

Both guys have been around (each joined the Caps the summer after they won the Cup) and have playoff experience. Both are still playable at a level which we need.
My issue with that off-season movk is that somehow Dowd is supposed to be good enough as a 3c. I would not pay that acquisition cost to get him to be that role. Fourth line, of course! But I think that is setting sights way too low for a 3C for this team.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
My issue with that off-season movk is that somehow Dowd is supposed to be good enough as a 3c. I would not pay that acquisition cost to get him to be that role. Fourth line, of course! But I think that is setting sights way too low for a 3C for this team.
I agree that Dowd would be a sub-optimal all-season 3C. Could he do in a pinch if our actual 3C gets hurt? Sure.

If we're keeping Krebs as 3C, I think that it would make a ton of sense to bring in Dowd as a 4C. Krebs could be a similar or better version of Dowd down the line, so have him learn from the original!

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Dowd 4C and he will be 4C. Adams should also add 3C.

If we're keeping Krebs as 3C, I think that it would make a ton of sense to bring in Dowd as a 4C. Krebs could be a similar or better version of Dowd down the line, so have him learn from the original!
Please no

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I mean Philadelphia are prime trade partners.. You could get Farabee and Frost for 11OV + a small add most likely. That gives you a 3C and a top 9 winger capable of moving up and down the lineup.

They seem like the perfect trade partners for what we need.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think Adams and Ruff like Krebs a lot more than this board does in general. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get a clear upgrade on his spot, but I am in no way getting my hopes up.

I am fully expecting Krebs to be the 3C when camp starts and breaks.
This is another half-measure that could cost us the playoffs and Adams his job. If one of Thompson or Cozens gets hurt or plays poorly, our center depth is destroyed. I think Adams needs to add a 3C after trading Mitts. Dowd is good, but he's a 4C, and Krebs can't get that kind of credit, no way.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I think Adams and Ruff like Krebs a lot more than this board does in general. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get a clear upgrade on his spot, but I am in no way getting my hopes up.

Not sure I agree with 3c but I agree he is not as likely to be traded as folks here want to
Believe

Reactions: Jacob582

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

I don't think anyone can reasonably guess they like Krebs. Who likes a highly skilled player who can't crack the top 6, elevate the third line, or be built to effectively play the 4th line? It is lip service. I would put Savoie on 3C as a bet before Krebs.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

And this is exactly why they are a "one step up, two steps back" franchise.

This is another half-measure that could cost us the playoffs and Adams his job. If one of Thompson or Cozens gets hurt or plays poorly, our center depth is destroyed. I think Adams needs to add a 3C after trading Mitts. Dowd is good, but he's a 4C, and Krebs can't get that kind of credit, no way.
There IS NO center depth right now!

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Not sure I agree with 3c but I agree he is not as likely to be traded as folks here want to
Believe

I've heard others echo this exact sentiment about Krebs as the 3C, I think we're starting to get caught up in line numbering semantics. Most teams have one of the following models for ice time distribution and roles at even strength:
  1. Top Line
  2. Middle 6
  3. 4th Line
or
  1. Top 6
  2. Bottom 6
Two years ago we deployed the first model (actually it was more like a top line and bottom 9). I think last season and moving into this season we're trending towards the latter model. So when labeling Krebs as a 3C or a 4C, the term "distinction without a difference" comes to mind.

Reactions: Zman5778

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The problem is if you read through articles talking about what every team needs in the offseason most of them have the same needs as the Sabres and are talking about the same players who may or may not be available. A decent 3C is tough to get. I'm hoping we can outbid other teams but it's definitely not going to be simple. REALLY don't want Scott Laughton.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've heard others echo this exact sentiment about Krebs as the 3C, I think we're starting to get caught up in line numbering semantics. Most teams have one of the following models for ice time distribution and roles at even strength:
  1. Top Line
  2. Middle 6
  3. 4th Line
or
  1. Top 6
  2. Bottom 6
Two years ago we deployed the first model (actually it was more like a top line and bottom 9). I think last season and moving into this season we're trending towards the latter model. So when labeling Krebs as a 3C or a 4C, the term "distinction without a difference" comes to mind.

Fairburn talked about having a first line and second line with a spare parts line that was a pale imitation of the rest, and one matchup line as the method they used under Granato. It seems Adams may have finally noticed conventional hockey wisdom and has decided to try something more akin to that by his comments. Now we'll see if he can do that based on his actions though.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So Adams needs to add a 3C and maybe a 4C. I'm not against Krebs, but let him play on the wing with Dowd and learn from him. Or he could be used in a trade (if that's what it takes to make a deal).
Agree. I'm ok with Krebs as a future 4C with some work to do to get there. He's not ideal and if he's better as a trade piece so be it. As a 3C, this is just more "make-do on the cheap" from this franchise...which will be the end of me wasting my time as a Sabres fan.

Reactions: Fjordy

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If Adams can get Frost and extend him we are set. If they can also add Farabee you give them 11OV + Jokiharju + 2025 4th round pick

There are people that think Cates is a line driver or better than Frost.. that's simply not the case, Frost's defense got better and Cates stayed the same, Frost has better offensive output to add to that.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
As for line numbering and usage...either way Krebs has his work cut out for him to deserve significant ice time. Without anyone better to be adequate -> good for top 6/bottom 6/middle 6 duty, this team will be worse off by personnel. Ruff may be able to overcome that enough to make the playoffs, but after that the team doesn't stand a chance without MAJOR growth and improvement from TT/Cozens, and quality depth.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I think the PLAN at center is:

1. Thompson top offensive center
2. Cozens will be your two way matchup center.
3. Your secondary offensive center will be an internal fill (Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund)
4. 4th line center will be an outside add (via trade/UFA)

However, I think (and hope) that there will be a backup plan and one of the wingers brought in will have the ability to slot in that secondary offensive center role in a pinch. Someone like Max Domi or Matt Duschene.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Why would he play LD in 3rd pair? He always seems to play RD. If they trade for Jensen then he is a partner for Power or Byram in second pair.

View attachment 886192
I haven't watched a ton of Jensen. I just know of him through the years I've watched the sport. My opinion is more based on reports that he had a down year last year. It seems possible that he may be slowing down. If that's the case- I think he'd at least be a good 3rd pairing guy, but we'd be hoping for more with that cap hit and term left at his age. The hope would probably be we get at least two more years of solid top-4 play.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If Adams can get Frost and extend him we are set. If they can also add Farabee you give them 11OV + Jokiharju + 2025 4th round pick

There are people that think Cates is a line driver or better than Frost.. that's simply not the case, Frost's defense got better and Cates stayed the same, Frost has better offensive output to add to that.

Let's separate Frost from Farabee. Frost is a good target, Farabee is not.

With regards to Cates, I'd just say that Cates has more upside, that's the attraction to him. The only reason anyone talks about him is because his name came up in rumors at the last deadline. Not happening so much anymore, so maybe it's best to let go of any hopes on getting Cates.

With regards to Frost, it's speculated that Philly wants to trade him because his agent ALWAYS recommends that his players to to UFA. I don't want to give up a lot of assets to for a player who insisting on going to UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad