The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Is Marino comparable to Tallinder? I haven't watched him much, unfortunately. I would love to add a defenseman like Tallinder. Smart defensively, mobile, and can move the puck well. I think that type of player would be a solid addition.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Is Marino comparable to Tallinder? I haven't watched him much, unfortunately. I would love to add a defenseman like Tallinder. Smart defensively, mobile, and can move the puck well. I think that type of player would be a solid addition.
I think he's just a defensive defenseman who could play on the second pair with Power or Byram and cover either one of them. Either way, Adams will ask Lindy or Lindy will tell Adams to get this guy if he needs him.
2342342.png

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I like that comp. A lot. I think Tallinder had a touch more snarl to his game though. Marino is pretty non-physical for the most part.

But in this case, I would trust Ruff heavily. If Adams gets Marino, that ostensibly means that Lindy was good with it......which means I'd be good with it.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I like that comp. A lot. I think Tallinder had a touch more snarl to his game though. Marino is pretty non-physical for the most part.

But in this case, I would trust Ruff heavily. If Adams gets Marino, that ostensibly means that Lindy was good with it......which means I'd be good with it.
Well, Pesce and Slavin are not physical defenders either, their advantage lies elsewhere. Canes board already wants to replace Pesce with Marino. :laugh:

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice
Let's separate Frost from Farabee. Frost is a good target, Farabee is not.

With regards to Cates, I'd just say that Cates has more upside, that's the attraction to him. The only reason anyone talks about him is because his name came up in rumors at the last deadline. Not happening so much anymore, so maybe it's best to let go of any hopes on getting Cates.

With regards to Frost, it's speculated that Philly wants to trade him because his agent ALWAYS recommends that his players to to UFA. I don't want to give up a lot of assets to for a player who insisting on going to UFA.
Cates has more upside than who?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Cates has more upside than who?
Frost and Farabee. Cates seems like a late bloomer - he’s been trending very well

Big Marino fan. 10/10 acquisition if they can make it happen, and the Lindy connection is a bonus.
If we got him, we’d have to be comfortable with it since I’m sure it would have Lindy’s stamp of approval, and he’d be in the best position to know

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He can be a late bloomer, but no way has he more upside than the two.
Maybe that's just my personal take as someone who watched them a lot towards the end of the season but not as much in the beginning half. I feel like he's still noticeably getting better before our eyes while the other two seem to be what they are, mostly. I don't like Farabee much at all so I guess I'm just talking about Frost.

What's holding Cates back from becoming better than Frost in your opinion?

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Frost and Farabee. Cates seems like a late bloomer - he’s been trending very well

If we got him, we’d have to be comfortable with it since I’m sure it would have Lindy’s stamp of approval, and he’d be in the best position to know
Not sure how cates is trending well when the last season was his worst since making the NHL.

He is the same age as Frost and both would be RFA after their contract is up.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice
Maybe that's just my personal take as someone who watched them a lot towards the end of the season but not as much in the beginning half. I feel like he's still noticeably getting better before our eyes while the other two seem to be what they are, mostly. I don't like Farabee much at all so I guess I'm just talking about Frost.

What's holding Cates back from becoming better than Frost in your opinion?
Well, maybe You should ask what's holding Frost from running away from Cates, but I'm sure You know the answer. Skillwise and by hockey IQ is Frost simply on another level. It's all about confidence, he needs to feel his coach at his back. I do not say Cates is a bad player, but it's Frosty who has a star potential.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Well, maybe You should ask what's holding Frost from running away from Cates, but I'm sure You know the answer. Skillwise and by hockey IQ is Frost simply on another level. It's all about confidence, he needs to feel his coach at his back. I do not say Cates is a bad player, but it's Frosty who has a star potential.
I guess you’re right about offensive upside - I’m just looking at it from Buffalo’s perspective where I’m loooking for “upside” as more of a matchup center, and cates is more attractive in that role. I feel like he’d fit the Sabres really well whereas Frost is not trending to be as complete of a player, though I’d take him too.

Not sure how cates is trending well when the last season was his worst since making the NHL.

He is the same age as Frost and both would be RFA after their contract is up.
You’re just talking about points? I guess I’d agree if we’re asking which player gets more goals next year. I just like Cates for Buffalo since he’s still developing (at the same age), and is trending toward being a much more complete player, which would fit Buffalo’s needs better imo.

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice
I guess you’re right about offensive upside - I’m just looking at it from Buffalo’s perspective where I’m loooking for “upside” as more of a matchup center, and cates is more attractive in that role. I feel like he’d fit the Sabres really well whereas Frost is not trending to be as complete of a player, though I’d take him too.
If I understand good, You mean Cates has better defensive awareness? But it's not true. That depends on how You are used by the coach. Back in junior in Soo, when Frost had two 100+ pts seasons, he was an elite PKer; and many of those pts came from breakaways. He can be an all around player when needed and wanted. So if You're looking for an acquisition for BUF, to me it's a no brainer. But I think Danny Briere wouldn't want to trade him Torts aside.

Last edited:

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

You’re just talking about points? I guess I’d agree if we’re asking which player gets more goals next year. I just like Cates for Buffalo since he’s still developing (at the same age), and is trending toward being a much more complete player, which would fit Buffalo’s needs better imo.
Not just points, his icetime went from 17:46 to 13:47. Not sure what development you are seeing with him last season, or how he is a much more complete player, he might be a better option as a shutdown guy, but his offence is very limited, he won't be able to move up and fill the void if Tage gets hurt like Mitts did. He is also making more money than Frost, so he isn't really a cheap option either.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If I understand good, You mean Cates has better defensive awareness? But it's not true. That depends on how You are used by the coach. Back in junior in Soo, when Frost had two 100+ pts seasons, he was an elite PKer; and many of those pts came from breakaways. He can be an all around player when needed and wanted. So if You're looking for an acquisition for BUF, to me it's a no brainer. But I think Danny Briere wouldn't want to trade him Torts aside.
There are a ton of players who are great PKers in junior who suck at it in the NHL, so I don't really see that as proof of anything. I do think Cates has better defensive awareness, but I've been wrong before so who knows.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Not just points, his icetime went from 17:46 to 13:47. Not sure what development you are seeing with him last season, or how he is a much more complete player, he might be a better option as a shutdown guy, but his offence is very limited, he won't be able to move up and fill the void if Tage gets hurt like Mitts did. He is also making more money than Frost, so he isn't really a cheap option either.
That is just not true -- go look at his game log. His avg TOI the first month of the season was basically the same as the last month. And he broke his foot in between.

Are you judging Tage's play on his stats when he came back from injury? Cates broke his foot last season and did get less time as he was recovering from that. I thought he got better and better as his foot healed.

He'll also be much cheaper than Frost, which makes me biased too.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
That is just not true -- go look at his game log. His avg TOI the first month of the season was basically the same as the last month. And he broke his foot in between.

Are you judging Tage's play on his stats when he came back from injury? Cates broke his foot last season and did get less time as he was recovering from that. I thought he got better and better as his foot healed.

He'll also be much cheaper than Frost, which makes me biased too.
He averaged over 17 minutes the season before and less than 14 last season, and you can't tell me he was playing 59 games with a broken foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad