The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I haven't watched a ton of Jensen. I just know of him through the years I've watched the sport. My opinion is more based on reports that he had a down year last year. It seems possible that he may be slowing down. If that's the case- I think he'd at least be a good 3rd pairing guy, but we'd be hoping for more with that cap hit and term left at his age. The hope would probably be we get at least two more years of solid top-4 play.
I haven't seen his metrics from last season, but maybe he's worried about his age, or maybe he's just not having the best season, Idk. But there's no point in trading Jensen to play in an uncomfortable position on the third pair.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think Adams and Ruff like Krebs a lot more than this board does in general. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get a clear upgrade on his spot, but I am in no way getting my hopes up.

I am fully expecting Krebs to be the 3C when camp starts and breaks.
It certainly sounds that way. Risky move with this season being a playoffs or bust season. I like Krebs more than most on here. He's still stupidly young, and has had spurts of being a pesky, speedy center. I think he can round his game out in time.

My worry is that all three of our top-9 centers would be lacking on the defensive side of the puck. We'd need Cozens and Krebs to take big steps forward in that regard. Thompson is more of an offensive dynamite, so I'm ok with the warts in his defensive game. I also think he progressed his defensive game over the past year. If all three of our top-9 centers struggle defensively- then I have a hard time seeing them making the playoffs.

I mean, damn- losing Mitts in our top-9 and replacing him with Krebs could be a drastic drop off in two-way play. I'm fine with trying Krebs on the 4th line between rugged players who haven't lost a step yet. I'm not a fan of him in a top-9 role.

Reactions: Fjordy

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It certainly sounds that way. Risky move with this season being a playoffs or bust season. I like Krebs more than most on here. He's still stupidly young, and has had spurts of being a pesky, speedy center. I think he can round his game out in time.

My worry is that all three of our top-9 centers would be lacking on the defensive side of the puck. We'd need Cozens and Krebs to take big steps forward in that regard. Thompson is more of an offensive dynamite, so I'm ok with the warts in his defensive game. I also think he progressed his defensive game over the past year. If all three of our top-9 centers struggle defensively- then I have a hard time seeing them making the playoffs.

I mean, damn- losing Mitts in our top-9 and replacing him with Krebs could be a drastic drop off in two-way play. I'm fine with trying Krebs on the 4th line between rugged players who haven't lost a step yet. I'm not a fan of him in a top-9 role.
Cozens showed much better defensive awareness/chops towards the end of last year, and showed that he is capable of good two-way play two years ago. Krebs' defense isn't really an issue, it's his offense. So I'm not real worried about the defensive play out of those 2.

I'm much more worried about the 5v5 defense of our wingers. Tuch and Quinn can PK....but both get out of position 5v5 (same with Tage). Peterka needs to commit to backchecking way harder. Benson and Greenway are fine. Skinner is....Skinner.

My hope is that Ruff gets the forwards in general to play defense better which should hopefully allow Dahlin/Power/Byram to shine.

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Let's separate Frost from Farabee. Frost is a good target, Farabee is not.

With regards to Cates, I'd just say that Cates has more upside, that's the attraction to him. The only reason anyone talks about him is because his name came up in rumors at the last deadline. Not happening so much anymore, so maybe it's best to let go of any hopes on getting Cates.

With regards to Frost, it's speculated that Philly wants to trade him because his agent ALWAYS recommends that his players to to UFA. I don't want to give up a lot of assets to for a player who insisting on going to UFA.
I don't really know who is agent is, honestly I don't follow agents outside of baseball and even then I am very limited in scope.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
I like DeBrusk too, but Buch is a more productive and consistent player. The problem with DeBrusk is that he is a UFA, and I am skeptical that such UFAs will come to Buffalo.
He is more productive and consistent. He's also two years older and one year from UFA. And then there is the acquisition cost. I think our summer priorities should be in the following order: 3C, fourth line re-build, top 6 winger, vet dman to replace Joker. Once the first two priorities are addressed I don't see the assets or cap space remaining to make a prudent run at Buch. And even it could it be done, I don't like the risk entailed.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He is more productive and consistent. He's also two years older and one year from UFA. And then there is the acquisition cost. I think our summer priorities should be in the following order: 3C, fourth line re-build, top 6 winger, vet dman to replace Joker. Once the first two priorities are addressed I don't see the assets or cap space remaining to make a prudent run at Buch. And even it could it be done, I don't like the risk entailed.
I mean, if we can get DeBrusk to Buffalo, of course, if we can't and there's no one like that, it could be a problem.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Cozens showed much better defensive awareness/chops towards the end of last year, and showed that he is capable of good two-way play two years ago. Krebs' defense isn't really an issue, it's his offense. So I'm not real worried about the defensive play out of those 2.

I'm much more worried about the 5v5 defense of our wingers. Tuch and Quinn can PK....but both get out of position 5v5 (same with Tage). Peterka needs to commit to backchecking way harder. Benson and Greenway are fine. Skinner is....Skinner.

My hope is that Ruff gets the forwards in general to play defense better which should hopefully allow Dahlin/Power/Byram to shine.
All fair points. I definitely agree regarding the wingers. If Adams can bolster the flanks, then it may workout better than I fear.

I didn't watch much to end the year, so I'm glad to read that about Cozens. I'm pretty excited to see him next year. He had a great World's tournament.

Krebs looked pretty bad when moved up the LU after Mitts went down, no? That LU was pretty depleted, though. I could see him doing pretty well with Greenway and Benson on his wings. I would just rather have a proven commodity as our top-9 C.

I haven't seen his metrics from last season, but maybe he's worried about his age, or maybe he's just not having the best season, Idk. But there's no point in trading Jensen to play in an uncomfortable position on the third pair.
Yeah. I agree. That will be their plan. I just have fears of obtaining another Gorges. Of course, comparing the two is quite nuanced, and my memory is a bit fuzzy with why Gorges fell off a cliff.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah. I agree. That will be their plan. I just have fears of obtaining another Gorges. Of course, comparing the two is quite nuanced, and my memory is a bit fuzzy with why Gorges fell off a cliff.
Yes, there are concerns, maybe it would be better to ask Caps fans why Jensen didn't have the best season. Maybe there is a hidden injury or his wheels aren't moving or something else.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but isn't Marino a bit of the same as what we have? As in a smooth skater who isn't real physical? I get that he plays positionally well and defends the rush well........but I'm not sure he's the best fit for what we need......
I could see an argument that he's a slightly better fit that Joki, but I'm not sure the difference would be worth all of the gymnastics necessary to swap them.

Reactions: Zman5778

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I think people are going to have to come to terms with the fact that we are going to sign or trade for a couple players where the contract will be bad in a couple years. We all acknowledge we need to overpay and that the league knows Adams is desperate. If he wants players he's gonna have to make some bad deals.

This isn't necessarily an issue. Good teams deal with bad contracts all the time. I don't care if a contract might be bad in 5 years if it is a contract that can get us in the playoffs now. It's a problem that can be solved later.

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but isn't Marino a bit of the same as what we have? As in a smooth skater who isn't real physical? I get that he plays positionally well and defends the rush well........but I'm not sure he's the best fit for what we need......
Well, I've always liked Marino, since his days in Pittsburgh, not flashy, but reliable and stable, he already played for Lindy's team. These are just my wishes.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
What about frost flyers as above and then a 2 round for Colton

Dont like farabee as we have so many Wingers and many coming up

Thompson
Cozens
Frost
Colton

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Would you still want Frost of he refused to talk extension before the trade? Because that's probably the case with him, and you're trading for one year only.,
I wouldn't trade 11OV in that scenario, he's also killing his trade value for Philadelphia by doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad