GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Steelers out-stupid the Raiders!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Mike Tomlin is a fine head football coach. He has proven ability to be a fantastic coordinator. His time has run out here in Pittsburgh. This team's roster is on a downswing, and I think it's the easiest time to make a clean change.

His press conference on Tuesday was embarrassing. After a loss like that, to stand up there and give canned responses...that just wasn't enough for me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Mike Tomlin is a fine head football coach. He has proven ability to be a fantastic coordinator. His time has run out here in Pittsburgh. This team's roster is on a downswing, and I think it's the easiest time to make a clean change.

His press conference on Tuesday was embarrassing. After a loss like that, to stand up there and give canned responses...that just wasn't enough for me.

Really? He has? When? Where?

Mike Tomlin was a defensive coordinator for 1 year before being hired by the Steelers. He coached the 14th overall defense that year . . . and it was the WORST pass defense in football.

No, he's not a fantastic coordinator, as Terry Bradshaw noted. Bill Cowher came here with pedigree as a fantastic coordinator. Tomlin? Nope. Not even close. The dude's a cheerleader. And not much of one at this point . . .

Reactions: Andy99

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So I'm watching an old game from 79 vs the Oilers and I was getting ready to wax poetically about how much better the players and game was back then in terms of football discipline.......... Then on the 2nd drive of the Steelers...

Oilers Offsides
Steelers holding
Oilers offsides
Oilers offsides
Oilers offsides
Steelers illegal procedure

This all happened on ONE DRIVE....... and the Steelers still haven't scored

And another offsides by the Oilers declined by a huge run..........lol

Edit update: Then the Oilers fumbled on 3 straight plays and recovered each of them.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
DVE this AM had quotes from Tomlin’s presser which they fed through their “Tomlin Translater”.
So hilarious- like they ask MT why he suddenly brought up the X-ray machine issues on Tuesday and he says word salad BS re “not gonna get into the minutiae in that regard just trying to be transparent”
Then the Translator says in an automated computer-voice “we didn’t discuss the X-rays after the game because we only thought up that excuse last night”.

Reactions: TNT87 and KIRK

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I mean it was really funny but also viciously mocking Tomlin.
I don’t think I’ve seen local media go that far, even though they plainly think he’s a condescending pr**ck.

I hope things are starting to turn

Reactions: KIRK

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
So Mark Madden just said that a source he knows that is tied in with the Steelers told him that Tomlin’s job isn’t as safe as the public thinks it is because Art Rooney isn’t of the same mindset as his dad in terms of keeping coaches forever

Reactions: Pengwins

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So Mark Madden just said that a source he knows that is tied in with the Steelers told him that Tomlin’s job isn’t as safe as the public thinks it is because Art Rooney isn’t of the same mindset as his dad in terms of keeping coaches forever

If that’s true, and I’m not saying it’s not, then why hasn’t he been fired in previous seasons....if the stated goal of the organization is Super Bowl appearances, and this coach hasn’t gotten you there in 8 years with a franchise qb, and this coach is routinely outcoached and fails to win PO games despite numerous opportunities , why is he still here?

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Probably wasn't fired last season because their regular season record was so good and they were screwed by the refs out of the #1 seed, i guess

This team is garbage and Tomlin needs to be fired.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
If that’s true, and I’m not saying it’s not, then why hasn’t he been fired in previous seasons....if the stated goal of the organization is Super Bowl appearances, and this coach hasn’t gotten you there in 8 years with a franchise qb, and this coach is routinely outcoached and fails to win PO games despite numerous opportunities , why is he still here?

If I had to guess it’s because they have never tied Cleveland in prior years and potentially end the season on a 5 or 6 game losing streak and missed the playoffs. Maybe this is a final straw type deal

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Yea unfortunately Madden says a lot of things

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Nor should he feel compelled to keep Tomlin. What happened in the 70's has zero to do with today. I'd be interested to see how Dan Rooney in his prime would handle this. He may not fire Tomlin, but I think there would be a sense of fear and respect towards Dan that would eliminate a good bit of the nonsense going on today.

There's also a happy medium between how the Steelers and Browns handle their coaches. Firing Tomlin would not suddenly turn the Steelers into a knee-jerk organization like Cleveland. 3 playoff wins since 2010 and a bunch of losses against crap teams are valid reasons for a coach's job to be in question.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Nor should he feel compelled to keep Tomlin. What happened in the 70's has zero to do with today. I'd be interested to see how Dan Rooney in his prime would handle this. He may not fire Tomlin, but I think there would be a sense of fear and respect towards Dan that would eliminate a good bit of the nonsense going on today.

There's also a happy medium between how the Steelers and Browns handle their coaches. Firing Tomlin would not suddenly turn the Steelers into a knee-jerk organization like Cleveland. 3 playoff wins since 2010 and a bunch of losses against crap teams are valid reasons for a coach's job to be in question.

Tomlin has been here for over a decade. 3 playoff wins in the last 8 years for a team sitting on a franchise QB doesn't cut it, as you've noted. It's hardly rash to hold a coach accountable for that. If anything, it would be seen as overdue for even the most patient of organizations.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hopefully the Steelers come out of the dark ages and fire that piece of trash Tomlin. I just don’t understand why people are suddenly just realizing he’s awful, though. It’s kind of like when people still defended Bylsma and Shero when it was clear both should have been canned several season before.

I’m actually surprised the Steelers worked out 2 kickers today. We will see if they actually sign one. That would require Colbert to make an in-season move and that’s just not how the Steelers did things in the 1970’s!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Hopefully the Steelers come out of the dark ages and fire that piece of trash Tomlin. I just don’t understand why people are suddenly just realizing he’s awful, though. It’s kind of like when people still defended Bylsma and Shero when it was clear both should have been canned several season before.

I’m actually surprised the Steelers worked out 2 kickers today. We will see if they actually sign one. That would require Colbert to make an in-season move and that’s just not how the Steelers did things in the 1970’s!
Working out two kickers is just an excuse for the failing of the coaching. No way this team needs to make or break a win by a field goal or extra point, with this offense. They constantly keep opposing teams close in the game instead of putting them away. It’s always a nail biter.
Tomlin needs to stop giving out team info in the pressers also. How bout keeping the opposing team clueless about injuries and if they’re playing.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Get ready for Kai Forbath folks. Apparently he aced his try out yesterday.

Boswell has the noose around his neck and the executioner has his foot on the stand.

More dead money we'll be eating when/if that cut happens. Joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad