GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Steelers out-stupid the Raiders!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Steelers have never made big trades or wasted money on FA. That's a Rooney thing, not a Colbert thing.

People give Tomlin credit for drafting the offense well.
So what is Kevin Colbert’s role??

To give his token yinzer press conference after training camp practices?

Last edited:

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Interesting the Steelers - Patriots is the only NFL game next week still without a line on it. Waiting to make sure Ben plays?

Ben will play, Conner won’t. Under those circumstances I think it should be about New England -3. Not sure how much they weigh the fact that the Steelers can’t beat New England against the Patriots’ woeful road record.

Edit: I see 2 sources with New England -1.5 and New England -2.5. Vegas knows.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
He was drafted as an incredibly raw athlete because he started his college career as a TE, got injured for a year and a half, and then had 22 games to learn how to play defense. He had a very solid rookie season where he flashed a wide range of skills and he's grown in every regard in his second season. He's exactly what people are saying he is - a very good LB who's at a point in his growth curve where it's very plausible, and I'd add likely, that he'll develop into a star. I think that you're the one whose perception is skewed.

I said that I think he would develop into a good linebacker. That’s my fault, I phrased that incorrectly because I agree that he will be a star the more he grows and develops... I just think right now he shows flashes but is a little more inconsistent than people admit

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
lol at anyone complaining about Watt. He's easily our best and most consistent player on defense. yes, he's not as good as Khalil Mack or Von Miller!

Reactions: USMC607

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They have drafted fine on offense, it's the defense that I was talking about.
They haven't drafted well in the secondary, for sure. But Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Shazier, Williams, and Watt were all decent-to-great picks. Dupree and Jarvis Jones are pretty much busts, but again, that's the draft. You're not going to hit 100%.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I mean keeping Bos is the funniest. I don't get it. I don't care if he's owed 10m. He has literally cost this team 3 games. And the XPs change the nature of the game, too.
I like this idea from a Trib guy on Twitter:

"Thought on Boswell situation. Put him on IR with phantom groin/leg injury (say it happened on slip). Sign another kicker for home stretch and tell Boswell to get right for next year. Too much invested in him and he was too reliable last year to cut him free and take big cap hit."

Problem is there aren't many good kickers out there I'm sure, but there has to be someone better than Boswell. And let the situation for next season work itself out in camp/preseason. Sadly, Boswell might be done. Shelf life for a kicker sure is short, that's what makes the Janikowski's, Matt Bryant's and Vinatieri's of the league really impressive.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Tomlin said they’re exploring options at kicker and acknowledge Boswell has sucked. We’ll see, but anyone is better than the 10/16 FG’s and missing 5 XP’s we’ve gotten out of Boswell.

From Pro Bowl to trash...crazy.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
If they are going to deal with Bos, they better do it gently.

iu

Reactions: ColePens

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
MTs presser is nuts.
They never had readable X-rays on Ben. Apparently Colbert helped make the decision to hold him out.
Then they put him in eventually not knowing if his ribs were broken or not.
Tomlin got pretty defensive IMO.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
It goes to show how getting that fancy looking 13-3 record was more a curse than a blessing last year.

-Lead to the team overlooking Jacksonville for New England and getting upset 1 and done in the playoffs
-Worse draft pick
-Came on the heels of winning a lot of close games to bad QB's and now they're losing those close games this year
-Boswell hit all those clutch game winning FGs despite not having a real big sample size else wise, leading to a big contract offer, and now he sucks

Not to say it's ideal having to play an extra game, which I feel there's like a 50/50 chance of even making the playoffs at this point, with decreased odds should they lose to New England yet again (which they probably will, seeing as they can't get over the teams that own them). But '08 really was the only season they actually benefited from that first round bye.

And now we're blaming X-Ray machines after losing to a 2-10 team.

Reactions: Pens x and Andy99

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
First they had no tech to help getting the X-ray.
Then it was not readable.
In the end they didn’t care anyway.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
MTs presser is nuts.
They never had readable X-rays on Ben. Apparently Colbert helped make the decision to hold him out.
Then they put him in eventually not knowing if his ribs were broken or not.
Tomlin got pretty defensive IMO.

I guess I would be defensive too. If everyone was blaming you for holding the QB out. When in reality your boss told you to keep him out.

Also if there was no xrays to confirm or deny if his ribs were broken I mean I could understand not wanting him to potentially play.

But this kinda sums up the past yr or so. Just so much disorganization within the team, and organization.

From players blowing assignments to not having the right personel on the field and having to scramble to get them off/on and burning timeouts every game because of some miscommunication.

To the f***ing cleats not being figured out during pregame and this whole Ben hurt or not and why he didnt go in earlier situation.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Wish the whole Rothgate shit wasn’t overshadowing the defense collapsing yet again and Tomlin’s god awful clock mgmt.

Teflon Don just keeps offing people then telling the media he was just eating spaghetti and meatballs.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Wish the whole Rothgate **** wasn’t overshadowing the defense collapsing yet again and Tomlin’s god awful clock mgmt.

Teflon Don just keeps offing people then telling the media he was just eating spaghetti and meatballs.

I think at this point we all know the defensive 2ndary and Tomlins clock management are f***ing putrid...

There isnt even anything more we can say about it. Just laugh at our pain.

But Ribgate is just a new wrench that was thrown into the cogs this week. A new way to lose besides the usual culprits.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Honestly listening to Tomlin’s pressers, he gives such a load of BS word-salad, you can tell how hard it is for reporters to even dig through it to ask questions.
When they got close, he just got pissed and said “I’m not gonna go into the minutiae of it” or salad to that effect.

They’re asking like “if you didn’t put him in because you didn’t have good X-rays, then why did you put him in? “

Like - um, we won’t risk his health unless we have to risk his health.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly listening to Tomlin’s pressers, he gives such a load of BS word-salad, you can tell how hard it is for reporters to even dig through it to ask questions.
When they got close, he just got pissed and said “I’m not gonna go into the minutiae of it” or salad to that effect.

They’re asking like “if you didn’t put him in because you didn’t have good X-rays, then why did you put him in? “

Like - um, we won’t risk his health unless we have to risk his health.

I think a couple of things are pretty clear:

1. Roethlisberger absolutely said 'I can play if you need me' (no more and no less).
2. Tomlin ****** up royally.
3. This X-Ray excuse being the best lame ass story he's got confirms how royally.
4. Roethlisberger has chosen to try to give Tomlin as much cover as possible under the circumstances.

If the Steelers miss the playoffs because of this, I suspect this story has long term legs (even though the defensive collapses or crap clock management should've had real legs some time ago).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This whole thing is worth a listen. Enjoy . . .

This baby includes the Bradshaw clip from a year and a half ago calling Tomlin a cheerleader . . .

source.gif

Reactions: TNT87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad