GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Steelers out-stupid the Raiders!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I keep seeing people talk about Watt and how good he is but I have yet to see what show up in a big time game and like half of his sacks have come against Cleveland. I think he will grow and become more consistent and be a good linebacker but right now he really isn’t what people keep saying he is

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Wow...you’re super optimistic still? I’d say delusional...team needs to push the reset button while we still have Ben...some other ideas are needed if we want a chance at the SB...it’s Tomlin defense and he needs to go, like pronto...it’s not just the scheme...Tomlin (his choices) and Colbert have missed on too many D players and Dupree is one of them...we need to do something good with the veteran offense we have now before it’s too late

Get rid of too many guys at once...could make situation worse. Tomlin and Butler would do...then evaluate.

Upgrade CB2 and ILB

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
From listening to much of AM radio here in Pgh, the Soap Opera surrounds Ben being cleared and yet, Tomlin not putting him in.
Everybody basically said “if Ben wanted in, he’d override Tomlin and go in, as he has done before (SF last year) and as superstars do”

The fact that Ben did NOT override Tomlin, and basically said “OK, you don’t want me, I’ll just put my cap on and stand here” ....is the soap opera.

Is it Ben finally getting sick of bailing out MT’s sorry azz, and standing on the sidelines until after the shite has hit the fan? And then dancing around Who Said What in the pressers later?

Basically is this Ben’s way of throwing Tomlin under the bus and pulling a Rodgers?

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Tomlin’s ridiculous “flow of the game” excuse for not putting Ben in there earlier was widely mocked. Just pooped on. As it should be.

And I’ve actually heard our soft Tomlin-azz-sucking radio guys finally....FINALLY use words like Unacceptable, Can’t be Supported, even NEEDS TO GO

I think Tomlin might finally have stepped in it with this one.
Not that he’ll be fired.
Unless Ben wants him gone.
Which is....the hints that are going around.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
If you want a good laugh just go on Youtube and watch Days of our Steelers from Urinating Tree. It's NSFW though. I'm really looking forward to this weeks one.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I'm going to preface this by saying I don't like Butler as DC, but:

"To Keith Butler's credit, he tried every matchup he could on Jared Cook. Edmunds, Fort, Hilton, Haden, Sensabaugh, Burnett all saw him. No one made a play."

...certain matchups, I just feel no matter what he does, he can't help but watch his D get torched. It will be like that with New England next week too, another awful matchup with how they attack on the short/intermediate routes. Gronk will feast and Edelman/Hogan will be catching the ball with plenty of green to advance on. Most of the players on this D simply aren't good enough.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think yesterday's game was an awakening for many a Tomlin die-hard. There are still some clinging but the grip is undoubtedly weakening.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm going to preface this by saying I don't like Butler as DC, but:

"To Keith Butler's credit, he tried every matchup he could on Jared Cook. Edmunds, Fort, Hilton, Haden, Sensabaugh, Burnett all saw him. No one made a play."

...certain matchups, I just feel no matter what he does, he can't help but watch his D get torched. It will be like that with New England next week too, another awful matchup with how they attack on the short/intermediate routes. Gronk will feast and Edelman/Hogan will be catching the ball with plenty of green to advance on. Most of the players on this D simply aren't good enough.

If the offense is putting up over 30 like they should be we would win more often than not. Thats the main problem. Raiders D is pathetic...probably the reason Tomlin thought we could get by without Ben but once again he was wrong. In a must win game no less. Thats the other problem. This team should know by now we need to put up 30+ a game.

The D is good enough to hold teams to less than 30...they have been all year(only the Chiefs and Chargers scored more than 30..Chargers being helped by the refs). Its not a great defense and as of now the Edmunds pick was horrible but its good enough to win games " with" the offense we have. But the offense either starts off slow...and to top it off sit Ben in the second half until we needed him. No reason we shouldnt be scoring on most drives, thats how much talent is on this offense. Yet continue to come up short. Thats on Tomlin

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
People blaming Colbert are silly. What GM around right now has drafted as many future HOFers and all-time team greats? The list has to be very small.

The first 3 years of the Cowher-Colbert era brought in Chris Hope, Casey Hampton, Clark Haggans, Brett Keisel, and Larry Foote,

There was a miss (Kendrick Clancy) and, of course, Kendrell Bell.

Maybe later I'll look through all the Cowher and Tomlin era drafts. My hunch is, Colbert gives a lot of ear to his coaches and Tomlin and Co. have simply been not able to match Cowher's defensive drafting.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
If the offense is putting up over 30 like they should be we would win more often than not. Thats the main problem. Raiders D is pathetic...probably the reason Tomlin thought we could get by without Ben but once again he was wrong. In a must win game no less. Thats the other problem. This team should know by now we need to put up 30+ a game.

The D is good enough to hold teams to less than 30...they have been all year(only the Chiefs and Chargers scored more than 30..Chargers being helped by the refs). Its not a great defense and as of now the Edmunds pick was horrible but its good enough to win games " with" the offense we have. But the offense either starts off slow...and to top it off sit Ben in the second half until we needed him. No reason we shouldnt be scoring on most drives, thats how much talent is on this offense. Yet continue to come up short. Thats on Tomlin
That's true. Somehow, the Steelers' D this season ranks 16th in points against and 7th in yards against. They've shown some flashes. Pair that with an offense thats 4th in pts and 4th in yards... you'd think that should be at least a Super Bowl contending team.

But then you watch them.

In most of their losses, the offense stalled continuously in the 2nd half (hell, they almost blew the Tampa and Cincy games thanks to this), while the defense falters in clutch situations, and then the special teams... not good.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Get rid of too many guys at once...could make situation worse. Tomlin and Butler would do...then evaluate.

Upgrade CB2 and ILB
I would argue OLB is a bigger need than ILB. Dupree is worse than either Bostic or Williams. With his speed why isn't he an ILB? Not like he can pass rush anyway.

Reactions: Pengwins

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA

I would like to see them improve the secondary but with the way they evaluate talent at the position it would be futile.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
People blaming Colbert are silly. What GM around right now has drafted as many future HOFers and all-time team greats? The list has to be very small.

The first 3 years of the Cowher-Colbert era brought in Chris Hope, Casey Hampton, Clark Haggans, Brett Keisel, and Larry Foote,

Maybe later I'll look through all the Cowher and Tomlin era drafts. My hunch is, Colbert gives a lot of ear to his coaches and Tomlin and Co. have simply been not able to match Cowher's defensive drafting.
I really don't think it is the draft. I'm not sure how well Tomlin stacks up compared to Cowher, but they've drafted a lot of good players under Tomlin.

Brown, Bell, Pouncey, JuJu, Heyward, Conner, Hargrave, Watt, Bryant (for the time he was here and not suspended), Tuitt, Shazier, Williams, Decastro, Gilbert, Sanders...

Of course they've had their misses, but that's the nature of the draft.

The problem is game management and preparation IMO. To me, these losses are so frustrating because the Steelers are the more talented team most of the time. The other frustrating thing is that Tomlin was a DB coach and the only good DB we have was gift wrapped to us by our friends to the West despite spending so many high picks on them.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I really don't think it is the draft. I'm not sure how well Tomlin stacks up compared to Cowher, but they've drafted a lot of good players under Tomlin.

Brown, Bell, Pouncey, JuJu, Heyward, Conner, Hargrave, Watt, Bryant (for the time he was here and not suspended), Tuitt, Shazier, Williams, Decastro, Gilbert, Sanders...

Of course they've had their misses, but that's the nature of the draft.

The problem is game management and preparation IMO. To me, these losses are so frustrating because the Steelers are the more talented team most of the time. The other frustrating thing is that Tomlin was a DB coach and the only good DB we have was gift wrapped to us by our friends to the West despite spending so many high picks on them.

They have drafted fine on offense, it's the defense that I was talking about.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

We’ve pissed away so many picks on defensive players under the reign of Colbert and Tomlin. People don’t blame Colbert enough. He seems to get praised when draft picks work out well but it’s Tomlin’s fault or the scouts, every time the Steelers pick poorly.

Colbert doesn’t make many trades and he doesn’t sign big ticket free agents.

Honestly, what does Colbert do?
Rarely trades - check
Rarely signs big free agents - check
Relies on the coach way too much in drafting - check

Seriously, what does Colbert do all day??? He’s a good guy! He grew up in the North Side!

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The Steelers have never made big trades or wasted money on FA. That's a Rooney thing, not a Colbert thing.

People give Tomlin credit for drafting the offense well.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Tomlin’s ridiculous “flow of the game” excuse for not putting Ben in there earlier was widely mocked. Just pooped on. As it should be.

And I’ve actually heard our soft Tomlin-azz-sucking radio guys finally....FINALLY use words like Unacceptable, Can’t be Supported, even NEEDS TO GO

I think Tomlin might finally have stepped in it with this one.
Not that he’ll be fired.
Unless Ben wants him gone.
Which is....the hints that are going around.
I can’t help but laugh my ass off at the flow of the game thing and our other Pittsburgh team and the coach and his version of that same stupid notion.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
If you want a good laugh just go on Youtube and watch Days of our Steelers from Urinating Tree. It's NSFW though. I'm really looking forward to this weeks one.
lol, this week's episode will be amazing. what day does it usually come out?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I keep seeing people talk about Watt and how good he is but I have yet to see what show up in a big time game and like half of his sacks have come against Cleveland. I think he will grow and become more consistent and be a good linebacker but right now he really isn’t what people keep saying he is

He was drafted as an incredibly raw athlete because he started his college career as a TE, got injured for a year and a half, and then had 22 games to learn how to play defense. He had a very solid rookie season where he flashed a wide range of skills and he's grown in every regard in his second season. He's exactly what people are saying he is - a very good LB who's at a point in his growth curve where it's very plausible, and I'd add likely, that he'll develop into a star. I think that you're the one whose perception is skewed.

Reactions: Pengwins

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
lol, this week's episode will be amazing. what day does it usually come out?

Probably in a few days. I don't know if he has a specific day when it comes out. The last two he just absolutely tore into the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad