OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I get that the offense hasn’t looked great, but why would you want them to make Pickett starter in his rookie year with this line etc.? All the negative Nellies on here say the Steelers will be terrible anyway. And if they did start Pickett, everyone would complain about him being rushed.

"This team is going to suck this year, but I still want them to make short-sighted decisions to try and win this year".

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
“Yeah Mitch picked it up towards the end of the half, but it was against second stringers.” Picket then plays well against the same second and third stringers… “Make KP the starter!” “Give the kid a fair shot!”

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Campbell is going to walk through a cement wall if the Lions only put up 3 points. Gonna be fun to watch on Hard Knocks.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That offensive line is even worse than last year. PIckett threw some really nice balls.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just think Pickett makes his reads faster and gets the ball out faster than Trubisky…I think this team is going to be really bad, like 5 or 6 wins bad…also, I dont know if this is Canada but it looks like teams know when we’re running the ball because they get in the backfield so quickly…either it’s the keys the lineman are playing or the formation, but that has to change…run or pass, everything must look the same on the line or Najee is going to have a 2 yard average like he had tonight…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The situation with Pickett and Trubisky isn't any different now than it was before the pre-season IMO. Pickett is very pro ready and Trubisky is just there as a stopgap until they're ready to hand the keys over to Pickett full time. Pickett has looked great in the pre-season, with showing he can really read a defense and deliver balls accurately. With as talented of pieces that the Steelers can surround him with, that's all he needs to do.

Pickett not starting immediately is not a bad thing. As I've said multiple times, this year is a rebuilding year. Any decision made this year should be focused on maximizing the next 3-5 years when Pickett takes over as the starter. If that means starting Trubisky all 17 games, going 4-13 and getting a top OL in the draft next year, you do that.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think this is still a .500 team.

We have upgraded at QB, the QB and coordinator (as mediocre as they both are) are actually matches for each other, the line can't be worse, and we still have Watt & Heyward. Good defense, a solid kicker, and a few offensive gamebreakers on the outside.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I just think Pickett makes his reads faster and gets the ball out faster than Trubisky…I think this team is going to be really bad, like 5 or 6 wins bad…also, I dont know if this is Canada but it looks like teams know when we’re running the ball because they get in the backfield so quickly…either it’s the keys the lineman are playing or the formation, but that has to change…run or pass, everything must look the same on the line or Najee is going to have a 2 yard average like he had tonight…

With this offensive line, I agree. This line is somehow worse this year than it was last. The 3 interior linemen consistently get blown backwards. Jet sweep offense in professional football is dumb. Pro players are too smart and too fast. My only hope is they fail gloriously or they succeed to win it all. As good as I think they offense could be, they can't do it with this line.

The situation with Pickett and Trubisky isn't any different now than it was before the pre-season IMO. Pickett is very pro ready and Trubisky is just there as a stopgap until they're ready to hand the keys over to Pickett full time. Pickett has looked great in the pre-season, with showing he can really read a defense and deliver balls accurately. With as talented of pieces that the Steelers can surround him with, that's all he needs to do.

Pickett not starting immediately is not a bad thing. As I've said multiple times, this year is a rebuilding year. Any decision made this year should be focused on maximizing the next 3-5 years when Pickett takes over as the starter. If that means starting Trubisky all 17 games, going 4-13 and getting a top OL in the draft next year, you do that.

I think with this line, you're just protecting your investment. Let Trubisky get the piss beat out of him. Save Pickett for the future.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Steeler fans are in a win-win situation IMHO.

If MT keeps playing that means they are winning, if not we get to see KP eventually.

Honestly not sure how it will go.

I thought MT and the offense looked pretty ugly before the final drive at the half.

That offense won’t cut it agt the 4 playoff teams they have coming up.

I suspect the offense will be a lot of feast and famine and we won’t know what to expect from them on any given series.

Reactions: Andy99 and td_ice

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
With this offensive line, I agree. This line is somehow worse this year than it was last. The 3 interior linemen consistently get blown backwards. Jet sweep offense in professional football is dumb. Pro players are too smart and too fast. My only hope is they fail gloriously or they succeed to win it all. As good as I think they offense could be, they can't do it with this line.

I think with this line, you're just protecting your investment. Let Trubisky get the piss beat out of him. Save Pickett for the future.

I definitely hope they find a way to upgrade the line somehow. I really expected Moore to show some improvement based on how he finished last year. The problem is typically if a lineman is available at this point, he’s probably not very good.

The one player I’ve seen floated as a name is Dillard in Philly. From what I’ve read, it seems like he’s actually a pretty good LT but can basically only play LT. And he’s blocked by a much better player. He’s a free agent after the year, and may get a pretty big deal, so I think he’d cost at least a 2nd to beat what the Eagles would potentially get as a comp pick.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Steeler fans are in a win-win situation IMHO.

If MT keeps playing that means they are winning, if not we get to see KP eventually.

Honestly not sure how it will go.

I thought MT and the offense looked pretty ugly before the final drive at the half.

That offense won’t cut it agt the 4 playoff teams they have coming up.

I suspect the offense will be a lot of feast and famine and we won’t know what to expect from them on any given series.
To me.... that is a step up from last year -- always knew what to expect last year -- not much.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I have read nothing but bad things about the o-line (I don't watch preseason games).

That is going to put a terrible strain on the offense. Unless Mitch/Kenny can improvise like prime BB or Russell Wilson, they are going to have a hell of a time getting the deep passing game going.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I have read nothing but bad things about the o-line (I don't watch preseason games).

That is going to put a terrible strain on the offense. Unless Mitch/Kenny can improvise like prime BB or Russell Wilson, they are going to have a hell of a time getting the deep passing game going.
Unfortunately a horrific line will cause a multitude of issues. Harris will have a terrible YPC and if the run game is a complete non factor it all falls on passing...then it's open season for the QBs to get blasted.

I'm fine with Mitch staying as QB1 for a while. If Pickett really is the future no point in him taking shots for a season we aren't competing.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
To be unwarrantedly optimistic, a line full of new guys and relative greenhorns can be expected to get better through the season. The timing issues can be coached out. Dan Moore looks worse than he did at the end of last season, but you can be optimistic and say we know he can be better and maybe he'll move up a step. Whatshisface the new C has been solid enough which is big. Hopefully this is the nadir, and hey! At least injuries to that unit doesn't feel like a big deal right now :laugh:

anyone with the penalty count?

21, not including declined penalties.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
SteelersStartingXXII_2022.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad