OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The bolded is where I'm at. The org probably really messed up this transition (although I don't think it really matters much now as they're not anywhere near contending).

They brought in Trubisky as a manager/stopgap type and drafted someone in the first that might end up being as good as Trubisky. They should have either gone after someone with more potential, or filled any one of the number of glaring holes on the roster.

I totally agree. I would have done the past 2 drafts much much differently if I was running this team.

Again, not dissing KP and I hope like hell he pans out. But this QB class was widely panned as "meh". Of course experts aren't always right and time will tell.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The bolded is where I'm at. The org probably really messed up this transition (although I don't think it really matters much now as they're not anywhere near contending).

They brought in Trubisky as a manager/stopgap type and drafted someone in the first that might end up being as good as Trubisky. They should have either gone after someone with more potential, or filled any one of the number of glaring holes on the roster.

Well maybe you'll be right about what Pickett is, but in terms of forecasting what the org is thinking, I think it's fairly safe to assume that they think more of it. And, again assuming they're not fools, it doesn't look like readiness is the main reason they drafted him.

I also reckon it could matter as this team has a wicked weapons room and a ton of big disruptors on defence. Give them a good QB and I think they're only just a rebuild in the trenches away from contending, which could get done real quick depending on development/willingness to be aggressive.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I don’t entirely disagree. It isn’t really what I see in KP, because I watched all his snaps last year and loved what I saw.

However, the odds of finding Roth’s successor this quickly are so extremely low, that it is too depressing to fully contemplate.

However, Steelers invested a first in him and need to find out what he is.

We know what MT is and one fluke season shouldn’t fool anyone.

No FA QB outside of Brees has done shit in this league in the last 20 years.

MT isn’t reversing that trend - he’s fools gold.

The bolded is true.

But understand the context of this draft (or the Steelers' needs). Their long time QB just retired and this organization always telegraphs their intention. Nearly everyone had them taking a QB with their 1st pick. Low and behold, what happens?

This isn't a knock on KP by any means. But the Steelers took their highest ranked QB on the board. If Pickett was gone they would have taken their next ranked QB. It's just how they do business and I don't agree with that philosophy.

From all I read KP was always their guy and King confirmed that again a couple weeks ago.

They had a unique view of him being at their facility the last several years - so they would know how good he is or isn’t better than any NFL team.

They apparently loved what they saw and invested a first in him.

MT having a good year shouldn’t throw a wrench in that plan, again that will just be some Tommy Maddox level shit.

MT is who he is by now, a decent starter - we know he is Andy Dalton basically.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well maybe you'll be right about what Pickett is, but in terms of forecasting what the org is thinking, I think it's fairly safe to assume that they think more of it. And, again assuming they're not fools, it doesn't look like readiness is the main reason they drafted him.

I also reckon it could matter as this team has a wicked weapons room and a ton of big disruptors on defence. Give them a good QB and I think they're only just a rebuild in the trenches away from contending, which could get done real quick depending on development/willingness to be aggressive.

I’m looking at KP hopefully being a Rich Gannon type that blossoms when he has talent around him.

I doubt many rational Steeler fans think he will ever be mentioned in the same breath as Mahomes or Allen.

Reactions: Peat

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
From all I read KP was always their guy and King confirmed that again a couple weeks ago.

They had a unique view of him being at their facility the last several years - so they would know how good he is or isn’t better than any NFL team.

They apparently loved what they saw and invested a first in him.

MT having a good year shouldn’t throw a wrench in that plan, again that will just be some Tommy Maddox level shit.

MT is who he is by now, a decent starter - we know he is Andy Dalton basically.

Eh every org says "he was our guy all along" so I don't put much stock in it. They also saw Aaron Donald every day in their facility and didn't draft him, so it's just a politically correct comment about the new kid.

Like I said, I'm optimistic about KP until he proves me otherwise. I just don't agree w/ the Steelers' draft process/philosophy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Eh every org says "he was our guy all along" so I don't put much stock in it. They also saw Aaron Donald every day in their facility and didn't draft him, so it's just a politically correct comment about the new kid.

Like I said, I'm optimistic about KP until he proves me otherwise. I just don't agree w/ the Steelers' draft process/philosophy.

Donald went before their pick and Steelers also badly needed an ILB. They took freak of nature Shazier and that worked out quite well until his accident.

So I don’t think the two situations are similar TBTH.

King is the best insider in the league and what he said jives with what other insiders have said.

Steelers badly wanted KP, blew smokescreens all off season about Willis to throw teams off their true intentions, then even attempted to trade up for KP.

Kubena from Houston Chronicle confirmed the Steelers were close to moving to 15 and it fell apart because Houston’s guy fell down.

King confirmed after the draft in MMQB they were going after Pickett in that slot.

That’s about as close as it gets to a team coveting a guy and it not being just BS he was their man.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Donald went before their pick and Steelers also badly needed an ILB. They took freak of nature Shazier and that worked out quite well until his accident.

So I don’t think the two situations are similar TBTH.

King is the best insider in the league and what he said jives with what other insiders have said.

Steelers badly wanted KP, blew smokescreens all off season about Willis to throw teams off their true intentions, then even attempted to trade up for KP.

Kubena from Houston Chronicle confirmed the Steelers were close to moving to 15 and it fell apart because Houston’s guy fell down.

King confirmed after the draft in MMQB they were going after Pickett in that slot.

That’s about as close as it gets to a team coveting a guy and it not being just BS he was their man.

Learning this I've shifted away from it just being BS, so probably truth to that statement.

That would have been a shockingly stupid trade to move up to get KP. But that jives with my earlier comment that the Steelers overvalue position need over BPA.

Previous year their RB's sucked and everyone knew they'd take a RB first. Enter Harris
Prior to that they locked in on Bush (to replace Shazier) and moved up to get him.

Reactions: Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This season really rides on Devin Bush. For the defense to be effective, they need takeaways. Fitzpatrick making 120+ tackles cannot happen if we are going to turn the ball back over to our offense. With that being said, I'd go after a MLB to pair with Jack. Stopping the run needs to be 1A on the list of things to accomplish. I have no faith we can do that with a 35 year old Alualu (coming off of a blown knee) and Devin Bush.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
This season really rides on Devin Bush. For the defense to be effective, they need takeaways. Fitzpatrick making 120+ tackles cannot happen if we are going to turn the ball back over to our offense. With that being said, I'd go after a MLB to pair with Jack. Stopping the run needs to be 1A on the list of things to accomplish. I have no faith we can do that with a 35 year old Alualu (coming off of a blown knee) and Devin Bush.
Package Mason and a pick to a team who needs a qb for a lb. Id imagine at least one team would listen in

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Learning this I've shifted away from it just being BS, so probably truth to that statement.

That would have been a shockingly stupid trade to move up to get KP. But that jives with my earlier comment that the Steelers overvalue position need over BPA.

Previous year their RB's sucked and everyone knew they'd take a RB first. Enter Harris
Prior to that they locked in on Bush (to replace Shazier) and moved up to get him.

i don’t think Harris is a good example as he looks to be a huge piece for this team, so we can’t say it was a bad pick.

Now Bush, that was definitely chasing after a need. The last time they blew it that badly chasing desperately after need was Troy Edwards.

They went BPA with Watt and even last season with Muth.

It all just depends and no team always goes after BPA.

Taking KP has infused excitement and hope in this franchise. Last game was the most exciting pre-season game I’ve seen in 17 years.

He also has the 4th highest selling jersey in the entire league.

He’s generating tons of hype that can only come with a first round rookie QB, and he played for Pitt so that amplifies his status.

If he busts the fans will turn on him like they always do, but for now the pick has revived this franchise.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

I’d be curious who you thought was best player available these past couple of drafts. And not using hindsight of knowing how players have performed the past couple of years.

Both Harris and Bush went around where they were projected to go so they were ranked highly at a position of need. That’s how I assume most teams actually define BPA.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think MT had a real poor situation in Chicago and still won more games than he lost. I’m willing to see if in his prime he can live up to the first round pick status.

I don’t agree he was a finished product two years ago.

Reactions: JTG and Pens1566

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
So do you think Mac Jones is winning a playoff game since you don’t draft a QB to not win a playoff game. Tomlin wants the QB to be a game manager not a gunslinger that can win games by himself

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So do you think Mac Jones is winning a playoff game since you don’t draft a QB to not win a playoff game. Tomlin wants the QB to be a game manager not a gunslinger that can win games by himself

Definitely disagree. Tomlin isn’t conservative like Cowher, which drove me nuts.

Tomlin definitely likes to sling the ball around, especially given his gift for finding talented flankers.

He would likely and smartly, do a ball control offense if KP has to step in, but he isn’t a 3 yards and a cloud of dust kind of coach.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think MT had a real poor situation in Chicago and still won more games than he lost. I’m willing to see if in his prime he can live up to the first round pick status.

I don’t agree he was a finished product two years ago.

I actually agree with this. I think Trubisky was over drafted in his year, but I think he is one of the better talents to get drafted in the first round over the last 5-7 years. Hopefully he lives up to the position here. That would help the cause tremendously.

I also think this is a better "team" without Ben. That personality looming over the team I think was maybe doing more harm than good. I think Najee is the perfect face for this team right now, and it sounds like Tomlin agrees.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Definitely disagree. Tomlin isn’t conservative like Cowher, which drove me nuts.

Tomlin definitely likes to sling the ball around, especially given his gift for finding talented flankers.

He would likely and smartly, do a ball control offense if KP has to step in, but he isn’t a 3 yards and a cloud of dust kind of coach.
Definitely agree he is isn’t a 3 yard and a cloud of dust. However he as constantly said he wants the QBs to take care of the ball and move the offense. He isn’t expecting any of the QBs to win games by themselves like he could with 7. I don’t think we see many 40 passes a game this season

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Definitely agree he is isn’t a 3 yard and a cloud of dust. However he as constantly said he wants the QBs to take care of the ball and move the offense. He isn’t expecting any of the QBs to win games by themselves like he could with 7. I don’t think we see many 40 passes a game this season

Well, most teams aren’t going to win passing 40 times.

KP ran the spread a lot last season, so he’s more than capable of slinging the ball around if his game translates to the NFL.

However, that’s a recipe for disaster early on.

It’s probably something he can do after a season or so of adjusting to the league.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
i don’t think Harris is a good example as he looks to be a huge piece for this team, so we can’t say it was a bad pick.

It's my own philosophy that you don't take RB's in Rd 1 unless they are game changers. Harris will be a fine back and all, but he's not a home run hitter or multipurpose threat. He's not Lev Bell or a Tomlinson.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I’d be curious who you thought was best player available these past couple of drafts. And not using hindsight of knowing how players have performed the past couple of years.

Both Harris and Bush went around where they were projected to go so they were ranked highly at a position of need. That’s how I assume most teams actually define BPA.

I would have traded down and acquired more picks instead of taking Harris (obviously that assumes you have a partner). Creed Humphrey would have been there AND they still could have likely gotten Muth. See my previous post about RB's- those can be found later in the draft.

They needed to rebuild the lines and they insisted that a guy who never played Center, attempt it in the pros. Talk about square peg in round holes.

The 2019 class outside the top 5 is turning out to be kinda average. So they totally misread the board there too.
If you trade up, you better get a game changer. The last time they did that, I believe was Troy. The last time they traded down, they picked Casey Hampton

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's my own philosophy that you don't take RB's in Rd 1 unless they are game changers. Harris will be a fine back and all, but he's not a home run hitter or multipurpose threat. He's not Lev Bell or a Tomlinson.

How isn’t he a multi-purpose threat? He had 74 rec last season and almost 1700 all purpose yards.

His rookie numbers blew away Bell’s.

I think he’s a lot like Lev Bell actually. Chain mover with great feet/vision that is an elite receiver out of the backfield.

He even has the same build.

Bell was never a home run threat either.

Reactions: td_ice

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I would have traded down and acquired more picks instead of taking Harris (obviously that assumes you have a partner). Creed Humphrey would have been there AND they still could have likely gotten Muth. See my previous post about RB's- those can be found later in the draft.

They needed to rebuild the lines and they insisted that a guy who never played Center, attempt it in the pros. Talk about square peg in round holes.

The 2019 class outside the top 5 is turning out to be kinda average. So they totally misread the board there too.
If you trade up, you better get a game changer. The last time they did that, I believe was Troy. The last time they traded down, they picked Casey Hampton
Can u imagine last years team with Snell as the starter and no Najaee

There are teams that need a QB.

There is no team in the NFL that needs Mason Rudolph.
Teams do need QBs that have won games in the nfl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad