OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I only have question marks about QB and to a lesser extent OL. I think we did really well in FA and the draft with addressing needs.

It wouldn’t shock me to reach the playoffs or be out of it, depending on QB. The skill positions are set so it’s really up to the QB to execute.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
It all depends really how the offense comes together. If Mitch can be a solid stop gap, minimize mistakes, and the young RBs and WRs come through, they could actually do some damage if the defense plays as well as they should.

If the offense doesn't come together, It's a 0.500 season at best. If the offense doesn't come together and the defense lays an egg, we are picking top 10. On paper the defense should win us games, but I'm not sold on them, to be honest. No corners, Edmunds is an average safety, Bush/Spillane isn't enough next to Myles Jack, Alualu is 35 years old at NT. I don't think we will be able to stop the run well enough.

In all fairness, on paper, that draft was as good as I've seen in a really, really long time.

I actually really disagree on the corner situation. There’s no clear cut number one guy, but I think the group of Wallace/Witherspoon/Sutton is really solid with the potential to be above average depending on Witherspoon.

He played like a shutdown guy last year down the stretch when he got the chance to start. Consistency has always been the question with him, but if he can even be close to what he was last year, the secondary should be in good shape.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I actually really disagree on the corner situation. There’s no clear cut number one guy, but I think the group of Wallace/Witherspoon/Sutton is really solid with the potential to be above average depending on Witherspoon.

He played like a shutdown guy last year down the stretch when he got the chance to start. Consistency has always been the question with him, but if he can even be close to what he was last year, the secondary should be in good shape.

Really hard to say. Even broken down Haden was still pretty good AND he was a major help in the run game.

Be interesting to see how it shakes out. Can your secondary be ok without a true #1? I say it can be if your pass rush is good enough.

I just worry about Watt. If memory serves correct, they didn't win a game without him. So where will the pressure come from if offenses eliminate him?

In short, this season is full of question marks :laugh::laugh:
Can you name 1 area where you aren't wondering "how is this group going to perform?"

Reactions: Coastal Kev

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Really hard to say. Even broken down Haden was still pretty good AND he was a major help in the run game.

Be interesting to see how it shakes out. Can your secondary be ok without a true #1? I say it can be if your pass rush is good enough.

I just worry about Watt. If memory serves correct, they didn't win a game without him. So where will the pressure come from if offenses eliminate him?

In short, this season is full of question marks :laugh::laugh:
Can you name 1 area where you aren't wondering "how is this group going to perform?"

I think Witherspoon has that potential to be true number one guy. It's a small sample size, but his numbers last year were pretty insane. But like you said, it's another question mark. All of the question marks though are what's going to make this year a lot of fun for me to watch.

Last year you just knew how the whole season was going to play out. And I don't have hopes this year that they'll contend, but I truly don't know how it's going to play out. It could go a bunch of different ways.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Witherspoon has that potential to be true number one guy. It's a small sample size, but his numbers last year were pretty insane. But like you said, it's another question mark. All of the question marks though are what's going to make this year a lot of fun for me to watch.

Last year you just knew how the whole season was going to play out. And I don't have hopes this year that they'll contend, but I truly don't know how it's going to play out. It could go a bunch of different ways.

The corners have ability, but they are unproven. Throw them in the mix with everyone else. I think part of the fun (anxious excitement) for this team is that things COULD be really good. On the other hand, it is not out of question for them to go really poorly also.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

As someone just said, that's part of the fun of where you don't know how things will shake out with this group.

I guess this is what it feels like to be Forest Gump :naughty:

Reactions: Pens x

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think the #1 determining factor for this season will be the health of Watt and Heyward. If they stay healthy, I think they can win 9-10 games. Without one of them, I think the defense falls apart. Even if things go well for the offense, they aren't going to win any shootouts and things could get reeeeeal ugly.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Luckily no one of significance…yet …lol…that’s one to pare down the crowded WR options…

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I took the over and I can see this team winning 11 games. I also put money on the upset in week 1 against Cincinnati. I think Flores and company will have a surprise defense plan like last year in Buffalo. I figured at worst 3/3 in the division but if Watson getS a year than that’s 4-2. I think 3-1 against the east with Buffalo as the loss. They beat the colts lose to Philly go 2-2 in the south Tampa Saints. With the weapons on offense the ability to extend plays and escape the pocket play action I think Mitch will be a top 17 QB this year. The defense will be top 5

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Between small hands Kenny and Pickens, I have some hope for this season. Also nice to see Pickens has no issue after his ACL. Might end up being an insane pick up in the second round.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Thought everyone would enjoy this from The Athletics Ted Nguyen:

The Steelers have a scary group of skill players (not including QB) - The Steelers already have Diontae Johnson, who is a No. 1 receiver, Chase Claypool, who is a good No. 2 receiver, and if Pickens proves to be a No. 1, opposing defenses will have their hands full. Tight end Pat Freiermuth is a good player and running back Najee Harris looks like he can be an elite running back.

Obviously he points out the limitations of their scariness being held back by their QB situation, but Tomlin and Colbert look to have done a masterful job rebuilding the offense in short order.

Now it’s up to the QBs, Canada and the o-line not to f*** it all up.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I'm pretty confident that Pickett can be solid enough to take advantage of these weapons. Time will tell whether he can turn into something more though.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I'm pretty confident that Pickett can be solid enough to take advantage of these weapons. Time will tell whether he can turn into something more though.
Yeah I feel Pickett is a more mobile Tua and jones. If he hits he can be Cousins

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Say Trubisky is a top 10 QB this year and the reclamation project is complete. Does this organization have enough gumption to trade him at the draft and let PIckett take over? I don't think they do. I think they are completely fine with letting him play out his contract and Pickett being the starter in 2024. This situation I think will show what Khan is working with. Is he going to be the same old in terms of letting things free flow? Or is he going to be a shark like some other GMs are by maximizing assets and being aggressive in making deals?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Say Trubisky is a top 10 QB this year and the reclamation project is complete. Does this organization have enough gumption to trade him at the draft and let PIckett take over? I don't think they do. I think they are completely fine with letting him play out his contract and Pickett being the starter in 2024. This situation I think will show what Khan is working with. Is he going to be the same old in terms of letting things free flow? Or is he going to be a shark like some other GMs are by maximizing assets and being aggressive in making deals?
No they will trade Mitch they if Pickett is ready they aren’t going to waste his rookie contract

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not sure we can really point to a set mindset for how the Steelers handle this situation tbh. Like, do they see this as asset management, or an open contest, or all about Kenny, or what?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I can’t see it happening… BUT if MT has such a dominating year, he’s going to want to get paid if the Steelers elect to keep him.

If he makes the Pro Bowl and does all this great stuff, he will never come back next season to play for a quarter of what he could then command.

He would be passing up his big chance to make bank.

He could sit out until he gets a big extension or force a trade. But I can’t see a scenario where he has a massive year then comes back and plays for NFL scrap money.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Omar Khan said today he didn't anticipate trading a QB. Could be bluff, could be just shooting it straight.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
MT has built in bonuses and escalators that if he and the team do well the Steelers would gladly pay. However so would another team QB play is sparse in the league. They drafted Pickett to be the guy after the guy who took over from the HOF 7. I could see them flip Mt and bring back mason as the backup he will have a batch type carrer and take a development guy day 3

Omar Khan said today he didn't anticipate trading a QB. Could be bluff, could be just shooting it straight.
Yeah unless someone offered a day 2 pick for Mason that was always the case this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad