OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Despite how awesome Baltimore's draft was, picking Ojabo over Pickens may sting for a while considering WR is their biggest need.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why would Detroit do that? They can easily get out of Goff deal this off season sure he is better than Boyle and blough but they will be drafting a QB high

Because they want to give Goff a better back up to give their young skill players a better chance of progressing if something happens?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Despite how awesome Baltimore's draft was, picking Ojabo over Pickens may sting for a while considering WR is their biggest need.

I doubt many WR want to be in that offense.

These top cats are making bank and going to the Ravens means death for your receiving stats.

Brown after that big trade:

I love Lamar. It was just, you know, it’s just the system just wasn’t for me personally. You know, I love all my teammates. I love the guys. It was just something I had to think about for myself.

Translation - Jackson isn’t very good at throwing the ball.

Lol…who said we can’t trade Rudolph….

Isn’t that Fillopinno guy the one who has a huge hard on for KP and he hates MR and MT?

If that’s him it sounds like he’s just manifesting his wishes for these guys to disappear so KP can start.

I only listen to the Fan here and there so I mix those guys up… but one of them is obsessed with KP.

Last edited:

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

These top cats are making bank and going to the Ravens means death for your receiving stats.

Isn’t that Fillopinno guy the one who has a huge hard on for KP and he hates MR and MT?

If that’s him it sounds like he’s just manifesting his wishes for these guys to disappear so KP can start.

I only listen to the Fan here and there so I mix those guys up… but one of them is obsessed with KP.

Greg Roman's route concepts and whole passing attack is absolutely horrendous for WRs. Combine that with some of Jackson's limitations, and it's probably the last place you want to be as a receiver.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Idk about that guy from the Fan but he has been right a couple times on the Pens’ moves…

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Idk about that guy from the Fan but he has been right a couple times on the Pens’ moves…

I thought that Filiponni guy started the rumor.

When I clicked the link the source seemed to be from a tweet from Filoponni.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I thought that Filiponni guy started the rumor.

When I clicked the link the source seemed to be from a tweet from Filoponni.

yes, that’s what I’m saying…Fillipponi apparently has some sources, at least where the Pens are concerned because he’s stated things that later turned out to be true…he’s not Rob Rossi lol…

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
yes, that’s what I’m saying…Fillipponi apparently has some sources, at least where the Pens are concerned because he’s stated things that later turned out to be true…he’s not Rob Rossi lol…

Got it. Guess we shall see - just kind of funny if he’s the guy I’ve heard a couple times obsessed with KP starting and loathes MR presence.

Reactions: Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
They are saying he is getting his info from Doug Whaley, who worked under Colbert, was a candidate for the GM before Khan was named, and is currently an executive in the XFL. He does work with The Fan.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
His arm is average. It's not incredibly strong, but he can make the throws necessary. His pocket presence is fine. Where he struggles is when his first read is covered and he has to start going through progressions. That is when he has a hard time.

This is where I disagree on MR.

I believe his pocket presence is his biggest detriment. Sensing pressure when there is none and not getting rid of it when there is.

Deep down he knows this and it shows in his footwork by not stepping into throws. Agree that his arm strength is just ok, but he could have improved velocity if he stepped in and fired more. I get super nervous when he throws an out, feels like it hangs in the air forever. Also agree he struggles with his secondary/tertiary reads.

I have a feeling that next week around this time, there's going to be more chatter about Rudolph getting traded.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
If Rudolph was able to read a field, I’d be fine with him as a stop gap starter. The dude can’t make it through progressions fast enough and doesn’t have any other above average tools to make up for it.

He’s ok as a backup to run a limited playbook while your starter is hurt. Nothing more.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Mitch wasn’t brought here to be the long term answer he is a bridge QB. You want him to play well and flip him for picks like Alex smith in KC

That's obviously the ideal scenario. It played out perfectly for KC.

But this year and probably next year we'll be in the midst of mediocrity. That means Mitch will struggle. And any rookie QB will struggle with this team.

So gun to my head (hopefully Alec Baldwin isn't pointing it). we're going to see equal parts Mitch and Pickett over the next 2 seasons.

This will be the first time Tomlin will be faced with the dreaded QB controversy.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have significantly lost interest in football over the past years. I guess that's what happens when you have a little niece/nephew running around and family time.

What is the Steelers outlook this year? What do y'all think? I trust this thread more than I trust espn or the other sites.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I have significantly lost interest in football over the past years. I guess that's what happens when you have a little niece/nephew running around and family time.

What is the Steelers outlook this year? What do y'all think? I trust this thread more than I trust espn or the other sites.

I think somewhere from 7-10 wins is a somewhat realistic guess. If their QB situation is a disaster, then less wins wouldn’t be out of the question. If they get good QB play, then they could actually surprise some people.

Overall it should be more of a rebuilding year. They just have to see what they have at certain positions (QB, OL, ILB, CB) and then address whatever weaknesses this offseason to try to contend over the next couple years.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Well Cincy will be the top team in the North by a far margin.

I think the Steelers/Ravens/Browns are fairly even. The Browns could nudge ahead of us depending on what happens to Watson.

I foresee 0-2 vs Cincy and splitting the rest of the division, so that's 5 losses right there.

Reactions: ColePens

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Around .500. They should be better with improved OL and QB play, but last year they drastically outperformed their point differential. There will be some regression.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Playoff bubble on a good day, top ten pick on a bad day. I feel reasonably good that most parts of the team are actually pretty good but the three bits I'm not sure about are the three most crucial in QB, O line, and combined run defence, and team depth just feels paper thin anyway. I assume some combination of those three parts of the team and injuries will prevent the team from being actively good, I think there's too many difference makers in the roster to be actively bad.

My hope for the season is as many young players step forwards and set themselves as pieces to build around. Pickett is obviously the most important but I think he'll get slow cooked and won't get a huge chance to show himself, and I'm okay with that. Outside him - Pickens being a high end WR, Loudermilk and Leal being DL to rely on, Moore and Okrafor being similar at DT... that stuff starts coming together, you can see being a real competitor in two seasons of good building.

Reactions: Andy99 and ColePens

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
My thought is they will have a really good defense (Rank: Top 5) and a mediocre offense (Rank: 17-22). But as we all have been talking about, ad nauseum, for the past 8 months is it all comes down to the QB and the O-line play.

The defense should be good enough to win them some games and keep them in some games that they shouldn't be in. But if the O-line is not good then it will be a cascade effect that affects the QB and the running game. If the O-line can at least be semi decent, then it really hinges on the QB play. And the QB play is a complete wildcard at this point. And I believe it will be like that during the entire season.

They also have a brutal schedule the first 6 weeks of the season. If they can come out of it at 3-3, I think they have a chance for a wildcard spot. But I think there is a chance they start the season 0-3. At Cincy, Patriots at home then on the road in a Thursday night game at Cleveland. I know Cleveland's QB situation is up in the air but road teams do not fair well in Thursday night games. If that happens they could very well be 1-5 after 6 games. And they will go into the break at probably 2-6.

I still think they end up near .500 at the end of the season. 8-9, 9-8 but they don't make the playoffs. The QB and O-line play could tip them down into the 7-10, 6-11 area or tip them up into the 10-7 area.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well Cincy will be the top team in the North by a far margin.

I think the Steelers/Ravens/Browns are fairly even. The Browns could nudge ahead of us depending on what happens to Watson.

I foresee 0-2 vs Cincy and splitting the rest of the division, so that's 5 losses right there.

RAJ is pushing for a one year suspension of Watson, with a possible settlement at 10 games.

Browns.

giphy.gif

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

It all depends really how the offense comes together. If Mitch can be a solid stop gap, minimize mistakes, and the young RBs and WRs come through, they could actually do some damage if the defense plays as well as they should.

If the offense doesn't come together, It's a 0.500 season at best. If the offense doesn't come together and the defense lays an egg, we are picking top 10. On paper the defense should win us games, but I'm not sold on them, to be honest. No corners, Edmunds is an average safety, Bush/Spillane isn't enough next to Myles Jack, Alualu is 35 years old at NT. I don't think we will be able to stop the run well enough.

Their draft was solid, but was pimped by the media and fans to be the second coming of the Steelers 74 draft

In all fairness, on paper, that draft was as good as I've seen in a really, really long time.

Reactions: ColePens

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I'm excited about a Steelers team for the first time in over a decade. How many wins does that translate to? Not sure, but any and everybody is guessing when they throw up a number (wins could be as low as 5 and high as 12). If the Steelers find their franchise qb with either Mitch or KP, it sets them up next season as one of the favorites to win it all. Could they surprise and challenge for a deep run this year... absolutely. That would be dependent on their QB play and injuries with their D front 7 where they don't have a lot of depth. I still wish they would have targeted a big/wide ass NT, that would certainly solve a lot of their run D problems. The depth at LB is definitely a concern, but maybe Khan works some magic in the next weeks. I'm not certain any team can compete with a bottom 3rd rush defense. At some point Tomlin needs to understand that if you run a 3-4 D, you need semi star at NT to anchor the line.

I can't complain about depth though, the Steelers offseason was an A+++. They got rid of some dead weight, signed some very smart contracts and added over a half dozen quality football players to the roster. TBH, their record doesn't matter this year. IF KP stars at some point, the Steelers made a mockery of the draft and the grades (something I stated the day after). That's even if every other pick bombs, which doesn't look to be the reality.

FUN FUN FUN............ I was actually dancing around my living room on Saturday night over a preseason game....... the family was confused since I have been mostly dower the past decade where all of them had hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad