OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If they're willing to have Rudolph chill and do nothing unless Trubisky sucks, then sure. If he's going to cut into Pickett's practice time, I'd rather run the risk. I think things would have to be worse than last year in terms of weapons and protection for it to be a real shit show, and so far we appear a real step ahead.

this is the way I feel…no problem with Rudolph as the co-backup QB and keep him active on game day if you want…but the backup reps and practice time should all go to Pickett…if MR is a smart vet, then let him show he’s the Ruhwedel of the Steelers lol

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
They invested a first in Harris and heavily invested in rebuilding their line. If MT goes down, you go the Cowher route like he did to protect Roth.

Ball control, run heavy offense and make KP a game manager.

That sounds great and all but you know as well as I do, Clown is not Cowher.

Ohhh how we forget almost a year ago how Clown was throwing the players (even rookies) under the bus in media week after week with the poor start, when its clear the team has coaching problems.

Remember his excuse for tying the Lions last year? It was the Snow!

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Yeah, in a real game, 50 will not at the line.

That being said, Bush is reacting instead of being proactive and filling in the gap, which is what a ILB needs to do. IMO, that has nothing to do with his injury.

Exactly.

ILB is not much different than being a RB. If your RG gets blown backwards, you don't just keep going laterally because that just allows more players to leak through. Best to make your cut and get what you can.

The play highlighted above isn't Bush's fault it was going to be a 5 yard gain. But it definitely is his fault that it turned into 15

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I’d keep Mason.

If you move him and the season (or the offense) is a complete shitshow, you’re a Trubisky injury away from possibly cratering Pickett’s development.

Mason doesn't fit the offense. Pickett is ready to play. The Steelers are most likely trading Rudolph.

This year is about finding your franchise QB. The best case scenario is for Mitch to play 14-15 games, be very good and lead the Steelers to the playoffs. You then get great value when you trade him in the offseason and promote Pickett to #1. If Mitch stars the entire year, you trade Pickett and again get great value.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not worried about W/L - worried about ruining Pickett in a shit show offense.

If it’s awful I’d rather just let MT/MR eat the crap and reset with a better coordinator and line next year for KP. No point in ruining his confidence and development if the offense is a mess.

Moving MR is just a risk in that sense.

I have zero faith in Canada’s offense, but even he is capable of scaling his offense down to protect a rookie QB.

It’s not rocket surgery to run that type of simplistic O.

If Tomlin could dummy it down enough for Duck Hodges, he can do it for KP.

I’m no Tomlin fan, but he’s not a complete moron.

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
But but Bush just needed some time to rehab his knee- he'll be fine

Yeah that's not really on Bush when the guy in front of him is getting shoved through the second level

If this is true, how do you define the *checks notes* 17 year career of Ryan Fitzpatrick? Or the 16 year career of Charlie Batch? Chase Daniel? Josh McCown? Nick Foles? Joe Flacco? Jacoby Brissett? Tyrod Taylor? Case Keenum? There are examples everywhere, and Rudolph is as good as these guys.

It's like you're responding to a completely different post.

The denial here is quite strong. Mason is out of the NFL in 3 years.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I have zero faith in Canada’s offense, but even he is capable of scaling his offense down to protect a rookie QB.

It’s not rocket surgery to run that type of simplistic O.

If Tomlin could dummy it down enough for Duck Hodges, he can do it for KP.

I’m no Tomlin fan, but he’s not a complete moron.
Yeah they did just that when Pickett came into the game. If it wasn’t for the GW td KP doesn’t even get to 6 yards per attempt against Seattle. It was basic as it gets

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That sounds great and all but you know as well as I do, Clown is not Cowher.

Ohhh how we forget almost a year ago how Clown was throwing the players (even rookies) under the bus in media week after week with the poor start, when its clear the team has coaching problems.

Remember his excuse for tying the Lions last year? It was the Snow!

I have no clue how well Tomlin is at developing QBs… so I’ll see how it goes.

I only criticize him for concrete things - I try to be fair as possible with the guy.

As I wrote above he was able to win games with MR as a young guy and Duck Man with a simplistic offense… so we have evidence Tomlin can do that very thing with KP and still win decently.

Yeah they did just that when Pickett came into the game. If it wasn’t for the GW td KP doesn’t even get to 6 yards per attempt against Seattle. It was basic as it gets

To start ya, but they were going wide all the series after that and KP was pretty exposed to the rush.

I doubt Tomlin would do that in regular season though.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Mason doesn't fit the offense. Pickett is ready to play. The Steelers are most likely trading Rudolph.

This year is about finding your franchise QB. The best case scenario is for Mitch to play 14-15 games, be very good and lead the Steelers to the playoffs. You then get great value when you trade him in the offseason and promote Pickett to #1. If Mitch stars the entire year, you trade Pickett and again get great value.
Lol he fits the offense Mitch is better and KP is probably a better fit but Mason fits the offense. Nothing wrong with having KP be the scout team Qb going against our starters for a year and keeping Mt as insurance policy

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I would say best case is Mitch does well enough in first 4-5 games then Kenny takes over and crushes it. Just because KP has longer contract.

But overall I agree. All about the QB this year. And slow playing the rook is not bad. It’s a lot to ask KP to both learn the playbook, huddle, etc etc and adjust to the speed of the game at the same time.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
No, he's not missing anything. 50 getting shoved through his gap cut off his line of sight. He didn't get to the cutback because he didn't see it till it was too late.

I get some people think Bush is done, and maybe he is, but on that particular play, he was blocked out by a failure in front of him.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
No, he's not missing anything. 50 getting shoved through his gap cut off his line of sight. He didn't get to the cutback because he didn't see it till it was too late.

I get some people think Bush is done, and maybe he is, but on that particular play, he was blocked out by a failure in front of him.

Cut off his line of sight? :laugh::laugh:

If you've ever played hockey or football, I can tell you that no one sees 100% of the things that develop in front of them. There's swarms of bodies on most every play.

The difference between what you saw on that play and Bush in general and <insert all pro ILB name here> is anticipation and reading. Every LB has their lineman get blown up in front of them. The difference is Bush is a wuss who won't stick his nose in and attack downhill. He floats on nearly every play- I urge you to watch him.

The good LB's in this league STEP FORWARD when they see a running play develop. The first time you see Bush step forward in that vid is when it's too late and his gap integrity is already blown.

Be a different story if he read his keys, charged forward, and missed- it happens to everyone. I'd rather have someone be solid on their fundamentals and miss the tackle vs someone who blew their assignment AND missed the tackle.

The dude is flat out soft and hates contact. Just watch him.

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
Have you ever played linebacker? I'm going to say no because almost everything you just said is complete nonsense.

I played LB. I can tell you it's damn near impossible to make a play on a RB if the DL in font of you is getting blocked into your lane. You can't see the ball-carrier that well at the best of times - which is part of why you stick to a gap -, throwing failed line execution into the mix is a non-starter for making a play. Even freak HS athlete heading to Alabama isn't going to make a play he can't see.

You're cherry picking here and adding bad analysis on top of it. We could do the same for every LB that has ever played in this league. There are going to be plays where they're taken out by something out of their control. That's just how it goes sometimes.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah that's not really on Bush when the guy in front of him is getting shoved through the second level

It's like you're responding to a completely different post.

The denial here is quite strong. Mason is out of the NFL in 3 years.

Disagree. He is a decent veteran to bring in to just be support for either a young QB, or to be a stop gap for a team. He has starting experience, so he will find work. If he didn't have the season where Ben's elbow exploded, I'd agree with you. He brings value even if he isn't really starter material. And honestly, he may be an average starter. We have never seen him put in a position where he was fighting for a starter spot until this year. From everything I've read, the difference between him and Trubisky is almost non-existent, and some think he's having a better camp. The court of public opinion is going to kill Rudolph here.

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
He's not a decent veteran. He's a third string level QB. He doesn't have any leadership qualities, has an average to below average arm, and lacks pocket presence.

Steelers fans suddenly pumping him because they hope he'll bring back a decent draft pick are hilarious.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Pause it at the 2 second mark. The hole to the right of Bush is technically Spillane's.
Bush has the alley to his left. #50 getting blown to the right way should actually make Bush's read EASIER.

Bush gave up too much ground and therefore left a huge cutback lane (which the RB took easily). If he would have went FORWARD instead of laterally, the available lane would have been diminished greatly. I get he's a prancing p***y, but you can't be that way as an ILB.

He's a good yard and a half behind #50, he needs to be right on his butt. Terrible reading of his keys by Bush
you do realize that 50 is the LOLB & ends up pancaked in middle of the field, Not exactly where you want an OLB on a cutback run

Not worried about W/L - worried about ruining Pickett in a shit show offense.

If it’s awful I’d rather just let MT/MR eat the crap and reset with a better coordinator and line next year for KP. No point in ruining his confidence and development if the offense is a mess.

Moving MR is just a risk in that sense.
People who think that Mason is being traded DO realize the 7th Rd. draft pick is not even getting snaps in practice. He is NOT making team at best Practice squad material

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
He's not a decent veteran. He's a third string level QB. He doesn't have any leadership qualities, has an average to below average arm, and lacks pocket presence.

Steelers fans suddenly pumping him because they hope he'll bring back a decent draft pick are hilarious.
so you know his leadership abilities ?????

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Have you ever played linebacker? I'm going to say no because almost everything you just said is complete nonsense.

I played LB. I can tell you it's damn near impossible to make a play on a RB if the DL in font of you is getting blocked into your lane. You can't see the ball-carrier that well at the best of times - which is part of why you stick to a gap -, throwing failed line execution into the mix is a non-starter for making a play. Even freak HS athlete heading to Alabama isn't going to make a play he can't see.

You're cherry picking here and adding bad analysis on top of it. We could do the same for every LB that has ever played in this league. There are going to be plays where they're taken out by something out of their control. That's just how it goes sometimes.

You're acting if the Dline blew into Bush and knocked him down- that's not even close to what happened.
Again, on most plays a DL isn't going to win his battle and the LB has to get into the wash to make the tackle.

You can call it any number of things: reading/anticipation/football instincts/etc. Good RB's typically say "I don't see the hole, I can feel it". Just like QB's who say they can "feel pressure", they don't see it.

That's why players like Sam Mills , who was a midget by ILB standards was so damn good. He was a violent person AND he was smart to boot.

And I'll repeat what I said earlier in case you missed it: The play highlighted above isn't Bush's fault it was going to be a 5 yard gain. But it definitely is his fault that it turned into 15

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
Um listen to Foster talk about Mason for 5 minutes please. Only one on record guy did not like him

Umm we would know if the players were on his side. There wouldn't be guesswork. The fact it's not obvious tells us the truth.

You're acting if the Dline blew into Bush and knocked him down- that's not even close to what happened.
Again, on most plays a DL isn't going to win his battle and the LB has to get into the wash to make the tackle.

You can call it any number of things: reading/anticipation/football instincts/etc. Good RB's typically say "I don't see the hole, I can feel it". Just like QB's who say they can "feel pressure", they don't see it.

That's why players like Sam Mills , who was a midget by ILB standards was so damn good. He was a violent person AND he was smart to boot.

And I'll repeat what I said earlier in case you missed it: The play highlighted above isn't Bush's fault it was going to be a 5 yard gain. But it definitely is his fault that it turned into 15

No, I'm acting like the OLB got carried through his lane and cut off his line of sight. The cutback never would have even happened if the DL did their job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad