OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think the 11 games is too enact the highest amount of punishment on the Browns as possible this season and then they have to pay Watson his full amount next season.
Why are they trying to punish the Browns more than Watson himself? He's the one who committed the crimes.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Steelers Depot 7⃣
@Steelersdepot
The Steelers signed RB Max Borghi and waived/injured RB Master Teague III, it was announced today by team #Steelers
https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/statu ... 1526594561

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/max-borgh ... 9e830d7c66
Massimiliano "Max" Borghi (pronounced bor-GEE) started on the freshman team at Pomona High School in Colorado; they ran a toss on the first play of the first four games, and he scored each time, so the call-up to varsity came. He tore an ACL his junior season of high school but returned to win 5A State Player of the Year honors. Borghi was mistaken for Christian McCaffrey while touring Stanford (where McCaffrey played) during the recruiting process but chose to play for head coach Mike Leach at WSU. He was an all-purpose star in two seasons under Leach, first playing in all 13 games with two starts as a true freshman in 2018 (72-366-5.1 with eight TDs rushing; 53-374-7.1 with four TDs receiving). The next year, Borghi led the Cougars with 817 rushing yards, 11 rushing scores (127 carries, 6.4 per) and 86 receptions (597 yards, 6.9 per, five TDs) in 13 starts, receiving honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors. When Leach left for Mississippi State, Borghi jokingly tweeted that he expected to get more carries in the new offense. Unfortunately, he was forced to miss three of the team's four games in 2020 (10-95-9.5, one TD rushing; 1-7-7.0 receiving) with a back injury suffered in preseason camp. He returned in 2021 to earn honorable mention All-Pac-12 notice as WSU's top rusher (160-880-5.5, 12 TDs) while catching 16 passes for 156 yards (9.8 per) in 12 games with 11 starts. Borghi opted out of the team's bowl game to prepare for the NFL draft. -- by Chad Reuter

Strengths
Consistent touchdown production as a starter.
Fluid at reading and cutting off the lead blocker's hip.
Rapid turnover in feet with build-up speed into the open.
Juice to beat the angle and turn the corner outside.
Takes very good care of the football as a runner.
Monster catch totals in his first two seasons.
Might block enough for third-down consideration.
Weaknesses
Linear runner lacking short-area elusiveness.
Moments of passivity when headed between the tackles.
Taps brakes into traffic and anticipates contact.
Lacks the momentum and leg drive to break tackles.
Has one-cut traits but not one-cut demeanor.
Stubby arms require an accurate passer.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think Bell was necessarily "fast" but he was quick and could make people miss with his jump cut. Plus his vision was outstanding. He reminded me a bit of Barry Sanders where he'd just wait and wait, then wait until he found his hole and could burst through it. (no one come back and say I think he was Barry Sanders please).

Harris' vision to me is concerning. Even factoring in the crappy oline play there were holes available and he completely missed them. Is that a vision problem or him becoming accustomed to there being no holes on 50% of his carries? Like I said, I feel for the dude bc he's a good player (seems like a down to earth dude too) and he was stuck in a bad position. But I still feel like he should have flashed more and he didn't. Your mileage may vary.

As always time will tell. My doubts about him are listed. I don't mind eating crow or being proven wrong.

My philosophy is similar to yours about not taking backs with a 1.

But sometimes you have to make exceptions and they had an atrocious running game and got the best back in the draft.

They couldn’t take a crapshoot in later rounds and hope to find a guy IMHO.

As of today it looks like it was a really good move.

Maybe by the end of the season if he plays poorly, that stance will obviously change.

Reactions: td_ice

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

This is an honest question - why even have guys like Heyward, Watt, Minkah, and even Najee participating in camp at all? It can only bring bad things. These guys are ready to go. Camp doesn't do anything for them.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
This is an honest question - why even have guys like Heyward, Watt, Minkah, and even Najee participating in camp at all? It can only bring bad things. These guys are ready to go. Camp doesn't do anything for them.
They are getting vets days off and I don’t think they will play any pre season games so they still need work. The offense still needs to practice against the defense

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
With camp wrapping up, Kaboly had his top ten winners and losers:

Winners:

1. Kenny Pickett: Hands down the winner of training camp on both sides of the ball. Pickett came into Saint Vincent College without high expectations considering what happened during the spring, where he was entrenched in the No. 3 spot on the depth chart. He seemed to be abandoned in quarterback purgatory, and that looked like where he belonged the first week of camp with his play.

But he’s bounced back over the past couple of weeks to show what made him the No. 20 pick in April’s draft. He’s been more consistent in practice, making quicker decisions. And how can you not take into account what he did in his first preseason game? Now, he still won’t be the starter in Week 1 in Cincinnati, but he seems to be at the point where he can be trusted at the No. 2, and you couldn’t say that three weeks ago.

2. George Pickens: Nobody truly knew what the Steelers were getting with Pickens. Was this a Martavis Bryant clone, or was the torn ACL from college still an issue? Nope.

Instead, Pickens has been the star of camp, consistently making play after play, which is highly unusual for a rookie receiver. You would expect to see flashes, but not every day. And I mean every day. He is a polished route runner, he high points the ball with ease, his feet are quick and he shows late hands. He looked like a five-year veteran out there on Chuck Noll Field, and not even the most optimistic coach, player, fan, or media member could’ve predicted that.

Losers:

2. Devin Bush: The other day, Bush didn’t make a single tackle during a team run period. During the preseason game, he seemed disinterested in trying to tackle Travis Homer. Then his only interview of camp produced the infamous “I’ll be in the NFL next year” quote.

His coaches — Brian Flores and Jerry Olsavsky — think he is having a good camp. It’s either they are delusional, or they are trying to protect him publicly. I am sure he hasn’t been as bad as we might think, but he’s nowhere near where he should be in his fourth year as a top-10 pick. The Steelers might have to use different packages in the pass and run game just because of him. That’s not ideal. I can say this with confidence: He hasn’t helped his case over the past month.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I think it's smart to use a little physicality to harden their bodies before the coming season. I don't think even the most seasoned, professional collision athletes in the world are fully ready to go from off-season to full go time immediately.

Plus I think it helps the people around them a lot. Guys go against players that standard and they learn things.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Kaboly's full lists fwiw

Pickett
Pickens
Trubisky
Jaylen Warren
Gunner Olszewski
Rudolph
Kazee
Jack
Lil Heyward
Green

Dotson
Bush
Tuszka
Highsmith
Snell
Buddy Johnson
Miller
James Pierre
Karl Joseph
Loudermilk

Dotson, Highsmith, Snell, Miller, Joseph all losers due to injury. Green a winner due to Dotson's injury.

edit: The 10 biggest winners and losers from Steelers training camp, led by two rookies

why Loudermilk? I thought he was having a good camp…unless his rib injury is serious?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
why Loudermilk? I thought he was having a good camp…unless his rib injury is serious?

Didn't think he showed enough improvement to get many snaps in the regular season if people are fit. I'd be interested to see if he featured in anyone else's winners and losers.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's interesting that Kaboly has all of the QBs as winners. It does sound like all of them have done really well, but how can everyone be winning in that case?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's interesting that Kaboly has all of the QBs as winners. It does sound like all of them have done really well, but how can everyone be winning in that case?

The case he makes with Rudolph is that he's not playing for his place with the Steelers here, he's playing for his place in the league, and I think that extends to all of them. Yeah, the sight of Pickett coming on leaps and bounds probably puts a cap on Trubisky's time here, but he's done enough to ensure he'll have a shot at showing the rest of the league he's still a starter. Rudolph tbh needs a trade out of here to really make his case, but doing all he can to say he should be a back up next season - quite possibly here tbh - is still a win.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Didn't think he showed enough improvement to get many snaps in the regular season if people are fit. I'd be interested to see if he featured in anyone else's winners and losers.
He is a rotation piece this year he will be one 6 active d line men on game day we’re people expecting him to start?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He is a rotation piece this year he will be one 6 active d line men on game day we’re people expecting him to start?

To start, nah, but to start putting pressure on Wormley and Adams as first man up rather than maybe feeling some pressure from DeLeal to be dressing on game days, yeah.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
To start, nah, but to start putting pressure on Wormley and Adams as first man up rather than maybe feeling some pressure from DeLeal to be dressing on game days, yeah.
With sub package defenses they only have 2 d line men on the field. ADams is the back up nose so loudermilk is not going to play over him as long as he is ready mid season to take wormley spot I am fine. Leal is going to get a helmet and be a rotation piece Davis will be in active

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
DK Pittsburgh Sports' Dale Lolley observes that it "appears" undrafted rookie Jaylen Warren has supplanted Benny Snell as the Steelers' No. 2 running back.

:D
8-)

RELATED: Benny Snell, Anthony McFarland
SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter
Aug 18, 2022, 3:11 PM ET

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I see it as having 2 graybeards and a bunch of question marks.
Their play against the run last year was horrendous

Well yeah but that defensive line for large chunks of the season was:

Heyward
Buggs
Mondeaux
Wormley
Rookie Loudermilk
Daniel Archibong/Random practice squad guys

This year:

Heyward
Ogunjobi
Alualu
Wormley
Adams
Loudermilk
Leal

That’s an improvement and a bit of a rebuild. What else could they have done this year? Trade a bunch to move up for Davis? Draft Wyatt and pass on Pickett? I guess but if Pickett works out that’s a horrendous move.

I don’t know. I think your expectation for depth is a little out of whack if you think most teams have a Heyward replacement just waiting around.

Reactions: td_ice

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I honestly forgot about Ogunjobi. Although he's not much a run stuffer either.
Just concerned about the run defense. We'll see how things go

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The D-line comes down to how Alualu comes back and health, specifically to Heyward and Alualu.

If Alualu comes back reasonable strong and they stay healthy, they have enough depth to be pretty solid and (Tomlin willing) to sub enough guys in to keep everyone fresh. O-line is the more pressing need, but with Heyward and Alualu getting up there in age, it still makes some sense to keep investing draft picks into the D-line as well.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad