OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Yeah, I will never call it Acrisure. That just sounds awkward as heck. Zero flow. But...I could see people here abbreviating it to being called "The Sure" or "Sure Stadium". Then it sounds like a very Pittsburgh name. I mean "I'm goin dahntahn to watch the Stillers at the Sure". I think I could be okay living with that, plus an generic abbreviated name catching on would be an bit of a middle finger to the name licensing process without the accusations of being stubborn to change or living in the past like calling it Three Rivers again...

Thanks for the laugh.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
For me I'm not upset about Heinz yielding the naming rights, I'm upset that the new name sounds so terrible.

I remember laughing about the CEC, which was a pretty tight name, getting changed to the Paint Can.

PPG Paints Arena sounded like a bad tongue twister, now I’m so used to it, it took me a few seconds to remember the CEC name.

People bitched so hard about Three Rivers being switched to “a f***ing ketchup bottle n’at!”

So, some bad memories among Yinzer Nation and how much of an outcry there was about Heinz Field.

They literally had ketchup bottles flowing when they got in the red zone, and fans think this name is embarrassing?

Ok then.

People mostly hate change, but they will get over it.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I remember laughing about the CEC, which was a pretty tight name, getting changed to the Paint Can.

PPG Paints Arena sounded like a bad tongue twister, now I’m so used to it, it took me a few seconds to remember the CEC name.

People bitched so hard about Three Rivers being switched to “a f***ing ketchup bottle n’at!”

So, some bad memories among Yinzer Nation and how much of an outcry there was about Heinz Field.

They literally had ketchup bottles flowing when they got in the red zone, and fans think this name is embarrassing?

Ok then.

People mostly hate change, but they will get over it.
PPG Garden would have been so much better though.

Pittsburghers like local companies holding naming rights. We're a weird bunch. I honestly thought PNC was going to come through for the football stadium also, and if they didn't, UPMC would have.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Pittsburghers like local companies holding naming rights. We're a weird bunch. I honestly thought PNC was going to come through for the football stadium also, and if they didn't, UPMC would have.

I get it, even though I’m not exactly a proud Pittsburgher (only moved back for my father).

However, Heinz hasn’t been part of Pgh for a long time.

I understand the desire for a Pgh co and all, but being named after a ketchup bottle never felt right to me.

I don’t mind the new name and kind of dig it now that I’ve seen it a few times.

Again though, I’m not exactly a typical Yinzer that is proud of having roots here, so I know my opinion is in the minority.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I get it, even though I’m not exactly a proud Pittsburgher (only moved back for my father).

However, Heinz hasn’t been part of Pgh for a long time.

I understand the desire for a Pgh co and all, but being named after a ketchup bottle never felt right to me.

I don’t mind the new name and kind of dig it now that I’ve seen it a few times.

Again though, I’m not exactly a typical Yinzer that is proud of having roots here, so I know my opinion is in the minority.
By the fifth or sixth game, people will be used to it. Instead of Acrisure, they naming company could have been a little more creative and called it the Acripolis, although the location of the old Pitt Stadium would have been more apt.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Naming rights are really frigging expensive though. UPMC is nominally a not-for-profit and I don't see the point of it for their business.

PNC/BBVA has been expanding recently and already has the Canes arena. I could see them going for a football stadium but not in Pittsburgh.

To be honest the only Pittsburgh company I could really see would be D i ck 's Sporting Goods, but uhhhhhhhhhh...it's gonna struggle to name something for obvious reasons.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
By the fifth or sixth game, people will be used to it. Instead of Acrisure, they naming company could have been a little more creative and called it the Acripolis, although the location of the old Pitt Stadium would have been more apt.

Ya no doubt. Pittsburghers hate change for whatever reasons, but by next season I doubt most of them will care anymore.

The more money this team makes, the better team they can put on “who give a shit” Field.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Switzer retires.

Remember when he was a prominent part of this offense?
I remember when the knucklehead tried to take a handgun onto an airplane. Also remember when Joe Paterno could claim the moral high ground with him. . . .

Or do you refer to another Switzer who should have stuck to returning punts but became our go to receiver in clutch situations.

• Haha
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Naming rights are really frigging expensive though. UPMC is nominally a not-for-profit and I don't see the point of it for their business.

PNC/BBVA has been expanding recently and already has the Canes arena. I could see them going for a football stadium but not in Pittsburgh.

To be honest the only Pittsburgh company I could really see would be D i ck 's Sporting Goods, but uhhhhhhhhhh...it's gonna struggle to name something for obvious reasons.
I also thought SAP may have been in the running with building that gigantic building in the North Shore, and they basically print money as a company.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I also thought SAP may have been in the running with building that gigantic building in the North Shore, and they basically print money as a company.

SAP's not a bad call as Oracle has the Giants Ballpark.
I guess SAP also has the Sharks arena.

But at least you've got the gist. Like UPMC...what would be the point? Which potential HR benefits managers in UPMC's region are going to be made aware of UPMC through naming rights?

I don't think Acrisure is that bad, it clearly makes business sense - interest has spiked in their company just cause people hate the name, but I don't think hating the name = bad company? Plus again Heinz was taken over by a bunch of vulture capitalists through a ridiculous leveraged buyout with Kraft where these aholes laid off all the people in Pittsburgh and half of them in Chicago. Yearning for Heinz is a joke given what Heinz is now.

Reactions: JTG and td_ice

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Steelers sign DT Doug Costin to 1-year contract
Jerry DiPaola
JERRY DIPAOLA
Tuesday, July 19, 2022 12:04 p.m.
Support Local Journalism
5255837_web1_AP21218706639373
AP
Defensive tackle Doug Costin made 33 tackles over the last two seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
The retooling of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defensive line continued Tuesday with the signing of veteran tackle Doug Costin to a one-year contract.

Costin (6-foot-2, 295 pounds) spent the past two seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Cincinnati Bengals. He played in 13 games, starting nine, recording 33 tackles (13 solos), three tackles for a loss, two passes defensed, one quarterback hit and one fumble recovery.

All of his starts were during his rookie season of 2020 when he signed with the Jaguars as a rookie free agent. He played college football at Miami (Ohio), playing in 50 games in four seasons, compiling 178 tackles, 32 1/2 for a loss, 16 1/2 sacks and 12 passes defensed.

The Steelers have been trying to upgrade their defensive line this offseason after the retirement of Stephon Tuitt. They have signed Costin and Larry Ogunjobi while anticipating the return of Tyson Alualu from a season-ending injury early in 2021.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Just crazy...way too young
So many stories about CJ being a very nice guy.

Also he was Hines Ward in terms of blocking before Hines Ward

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I grew up in a time when the Steelers went on a big run of never having a pro bowl WR… and they didn’t have a 1000 yard receiver for almost a decade until Thigpen came around.

I caught the tail end of Lipps career, but he was no longer a 1000 yard guy by then.

So I had a fascination with guys like Rice, Ellard, Monk, Taylor, Clayton etc.

I was jealous of those teams and didn’t know what it was like to have a great WR on my favorite team.

So when the Steelers took CJ, he instantly became my favorite player. He was going to be the guy I was waiting for.

I’ll never forget his 84 yd bomb for a TD on Christmas Eve his rookie year agt the Chargers… I was sure he was going to be a huge star like I dreamed of.

Can’t believe he’s gone… life is brutal sometimes.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I grew up in a time when the Steelers went on a big run of never having a pro bowl WR… and they didn’t have a 1000 yard receiver for almost a decade until Thigpen came around.

I caught the tail end of Lipps career, but he was no longer a 1000 yard guy by then.

So I had a fascination with guys like Rice, Ellard, Monk, Taylor, Clayton etc.

I was jealous of those teams and didn’t know what it was like to have a great WR on my favorite team.

So when the Steelers took CJ, he instantly became my favorite player. He was going to be the guy I was waiting for.

I’ll never forget his 84 yd bomb for a TD on Christmas Eve his rookie year agt the Chargers… I was sure he was going to be a huge star like I dreamed of.

Can’t believe he’s gone… life is brutal sometimes.

You mean you weren't a big Ernie Mills guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad