OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Not sure I see the issue for them. They pay a small fee to roadtest a better QB than Darnold. It works and they bring him back, they're laughing. It doesn't work, they've lost very little.
The issue is that Cleveland was going to have to cut him and Carolina could have signed him for free at probably less then what they are paying him now, even with the Browns eating $10.5 million

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The issue is that Cleveland was going to have to cut him and Carolina could have signed him for free at probably less then what they are paying him now, even with the Browns eating $10.5 million

Yeah, giving up picks and probably more $$$ than Mayfield would cost as a FA on top of whatever it does to the team dynamic ... he's not an inert presence. Sure will be a GREAT QB room for Corral to learn in.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Whose to say that he would have picked Carolina if he was a UFA, though. I can't see faulting them for paying a late-mid round pick for a reclamation project that could work out decent.

Look at our own Mitchell Trubisky. Signed on a year to be a backup on a good team and it somehow made his stock go up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

But the money's borderline irrelevant to them (bar the owner), and a 4th/5th to make sure another team didn't snare him sounds fair.

Even if I'm wrong, it sounds like a fairly small mistake.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Whose to say that he would have picked Carolina if he was a UFA, though. I can't see faulting them for paying a late-mid round pick for a reclamation project that could work out decent.

Look at our own Mitchell Trubisky. Signed on a year to be a backup on a good team and it somehow made his stock go up.
No one else was interested in him. There wasn’t another team out there who wanted him. It was basically Carolina or bust

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
No one else was interested in him. There wasn’t another team out there who wanted him. It was basically Carolina or bust
Yea, I don't buy that. If he was a free agent there are plenty of teams that would take a chance for a couple million. I believe nobody wanted him at his current salary, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnMyOwn

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
This seems like kind of a no brainer move for Carolina. If they have another bad season, Rhule is toast. Mayfield is a lot better of a QB than he’s been made out to be this offseason.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Not sure I see the issue for them. They pay a small fee to roadtest a better QB than Darnold. It works and they bring him back, they're laughing. It doesn't work, they've lost very little.
If CMC is healthy, he'll make Baker look good. If/when CMC gets hurt again, Baker will struggle, but he can't be worse than Darnold. He's closer to Bridgewater (with more risk/reward), who they got rid of for Darnold, IIRC.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yea, I don't buy that. If he was a free agent there are plenty of teams that would take a chance for a couple million. I believe nobody wanted him at his current salary, though.
I don’t think anyone wanted baker as a backup. Teams like Atlanta Seattle are focused on next year rookie QB class. Baker was complaining in Cleveland that they were setting him to fall calling to many play action and bootleg and not enough deep balls

If CMC is healthy, he'll make Baker look good. If/when CMC gets hurt again, Baker will struggle, but he can't be worse than Darnold. He's closer to Bridgewater (with more risk/reward), who they got rid of for Darnold, IIRC.
Stats are similar between Sam and Baker and Baker has had more talent around him than Sam.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I don’t think anyone wanted baker as a backup. Teams like Atlanta Seattle are focused on next year rookie QB class. Baker was complaining in Cleveland that they were setting him to fall calling to many play action and bootleg and not enough deep balls

Stats are similar between Sam and Baker and Baker has had more talent around him than Sam.

Surface numbers are similar, numbers like QBR and passer rate not so much:

Bakers career passer rating and QBR are double digits better.

Bakers arent glowing by any stretch (they look a lot like Tannehill in Miami) but they at least peak at alright starting QB. Darnolds are straight trash

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Say what you will about Mayfield, but at least he will play football this season.

Browns

giphy.gif

Reactions: bigdaddyk88

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I know but I would find the former darkly funny. :laugh:

Sad that the Heinz presence in Pittsburgh is now pretty much all gone though, except for the History Center.
The history center is named for Senator John Heinz, so it's not even directly named after the company.

What a sad story about Heinz. My dad worked there from the early 90s until the Kraft "merger". It wasn't just headquarters and office workers, we had manufacturing and product development right on the north side. Now it's all apartments. It's sad losing a uniquely Pittsburgh institution that supported both white collar jobs and manufacturing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I remember them ceasing operations at the plant, and then a few years later, coming home to find out it's all been turned into overpriced lofts.

It's also still the only decent pre-made ketchup in the US. The other ones are all too sweet.

Reactions: orby

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
Makes me think of the word "acrid."

having an irritatingly strong and unpleasant taste or smell. "acrid fumes"

angry and bitter. "an acrid farewell"
That's a great point. It's a shitty name for a business, let alone a sports stadium. The way a word sounds matters.

a acri (third-person singular present acrește, past participle acrit) 4th conj.
  1. to make sour
  2. to acetify
My view on on the stadium has further "soured"

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Lol and my horrible joke name was actually better than the real thing.

Incidentally, I'm impressed an insurance agency has a worse name than a pharmaceutical company. That is almost maliciously terrible. :laugh:

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Josh Rowntree

@JRown32
·
26m

Acrisure has been trying to get into sports world. CEO Greg Williams recently teamed up with Russell Wilson, Ciara & Russell Westbrook to create Evolution Advisors, a venture “focused on the insurance and financial service needs of minorities and diverse communities.” #Steelers

The Rooney Rule Part DUH

Reactions: Victor Z and Pens x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad