OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I get the vibe that a one year suspension wouldn't really surprise the Browns and that the Browns made the move thinking it'd be worth it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I get the vibe that a one year suspension wouldn't really surprise the Browns and that the Browns made the move thinking it'd be worth it.

It’s the Browns, they do Browns things.

If Watson gets suspended for the season, as he should, he will have missed two consecutive seasons.

Which means lots of rust when he comes back and the likelihood that they don’t see any real dividends on the trade until 2024.

That would be such a Browns thing to do and in my opinion, karma.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s the Browns, they do Browns things.

If Watson gets suspended for the season, as he should, he will have missed two consecutive seasons.

Which means lots of rust when he comes back and the likelihood that they don’t see any real dividends on the trade until 2024.

That would be such a Browns thing to do and in my opinion, karma.

From your lips to god's ears I hope.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Except they are call strapped in 23 and traded a ton of picks so they will miss out on cheap labor

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I don't disagree that was their rationale, but boy does it looks stupid with a couple of months of perspective.

They are going to have an expensive QB who had two years off and serious character questions, while losing assets along the way.

Reactions: domaug

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I don't disagree that was their rationale, but boy does it looks stupid with a couple of months of perspective.

They are going to have an expensive QB who had two years off and serious character questions, while losing assets along the way.
They’ll bring in Kapernick as a stopgap for that one year just to learn lessons from a qb who hasn’t played for awhile.

• Haha
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
They’ll bring in Kapernick as a stopgap for that one year just to learn lessons from a qb who hasn’t played for awhile.
I think once the suspension is announced Mayfield comes back and builds up value before he is traded in October-November.

Edit: the Browns and Mayfield need each other right now. He can prove himself in a system he is familiar with and he is the best available option for them.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I think once the suspension is announced Mayfield comes back and builds up value before he is traded in October-November.

Edit: the Browns and Mayfield need each other right now. He can prove himself in a system he is familiar with and he is the best available option for them.
At this point, I don't think he has anything left to prove. I think he's shown what he is and isn't. In other words, letting Baker take the SATs again probably isn't going to improve his score meaningfully.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
At this point, I don't think he has anything left to prove. I think he's shown what he is and isn't. In other words, letting Baker take the SATs again probably isn't going to improve his score meaningfully.
But if he is having a good season and some team is playing well but QB-deficient (e.g., 2019 Steelers) he will look awfully appealing.

It feels silly for the Browns and Mayfield to tank each other out of spite this year. Them again, it is the Browns and it is Baker Mayfield sooooo

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
When was the last time a team traded for a starting QB mid-season?

In any case, I think for the Browns, trading him is just simpler. What if he plays fantastic, they trade him in season, and miss the playoff from resulting drop-off? What if he plays fantastic, they don't trade him, he drops off and they get nothing? Hell, even a fantastic season beginning to end makes them look stupid. There's no way it ends well for their egos, no way it doesn't risk extra drama at a franchise that doesn't need any more. Next season's been a write off for them from the beginning, they might as well let it happen.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Was that self imposed, team imposed or did the NFL dictate it?

I thought that was team imposed, like they asked him to take the year off until his legal troubles were over. Which have extended out.

I'm thinking the NFL can still make a ruling.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yea I mean he was paid and everything and not suspended.

As for Baker. Everything I’m hearing on XM says he’ll be traded. There’s no way he plays/starts for Cleveland this season, regardless of Watson.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Baker's best move might be to just sit the season out to get as healthy as possible. Right now, I feel he's seen as damaged goods with all the shoulder issues

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Good luck with that argument.

And it's a joke to allow that 1mm salary to stand for next year.

Oh I agree that it's a joke. But the NFL is all about image. And this story (or stories) isn't really front page national news. I have no idea why, but perhaps you can ask the media at large why they aren't roasting Watson like they did Ben and his Milledgeville incident?

Ben's incident, DA investigation, NFL investigation and the commish's ruling/suspension were all resolved within a matter of like 4 months.

NFL is dragging it's feet, purposefully I believe so it gets buried in other news.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Here's the thing. I bet they argue this year has already been served (last season)

Don’t see how that would fly, but it’s the NFL and all the full stupid they do never surprises me.

Oh I agree that it's a joke. But the NFL is all about image. And this story (or stories) isn't really front page national news. I have no idea why, but perhaps you can ask the media at large why they aren't roasting Watson like they did Ben and his Milledgeville incident?

Ben's incident, DA investigation, NFL investigation and the commish's ruling/suspension were all resolved within a matter of like 4 months.

NFL is dragging it's feet, purposefully I believe so it gets buried in other news.

Every few weeks a new case pops up agt him, so at this rate it will take years for ppl to not notice.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

The Watson incident is weirder than Ben's incident. The preponderance of victims magnifies the case or it kind of diminishes it in the public perception. A pattern of coercive, borderline s3x with dozens of women in a profession where frankly a lot of people believe sex is part of the deal doesn't evoke the imagination like a single incident of a 250 lb guy pinning a girl down in a Men's Bathroom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad