OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
DJ was not particularly productive though. I mean, he compiled stats because he got a TON of targets but on a per target basis he was not impressive.
Do you think we get 600 yards 5 tds from wr 2 that’s what dj did as a rookie or 900 7 TDS like DJ did in 2020 with Ben

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Do you think we get 600 yards 5 tds from wr 2 that’s what dj did as a rookie or 900 7 TDS like DJ did in 2020 with Ben

I think Wilson is totally capable of producing 4/5 DJ seasons this year. 100+ balls and 1000+ yards is a tough ask, but doable.

I have still not found a good definition for being "open" as a WR. Is it steps ahead of a DB? Distance? Time? Because for as much as DJ was open, the throws that would have to be made to hit him would have had to have Ben as the QB.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I think Wilson is totally capable of producing 4/5 DJ seasons this year. 100+ balls and 1000+ yards is a tough ask, but doable.

I have still not found a good definition for being "open" as a WR. Is it steps ahead of a DB? Distance? Time? Because for as much as DJ was open, the throws that would have to be made to hit him would have had to have Ben as the QB.
Sure as long as they take advantage of cheat motions and manufacture getting Wilson open like Michigan did for him in college like kupp and puka feast on. He isn’t getting himself open
Burrow talked about his biggest struggle was understanding nfl open to college open. In the nfl you have to see and anticipate alot more than ik college because the defense is faster and they watch more film. He said learning to throw the wr open is what separates the good qbs to great

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This feels like the fastest summer, but the longest offseason.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
He averaged 8 targets a game while he was here some ine is getting them. Muth has been wr 3 target wise since Claypool left
Those extra targets are more likely to go to Pickens and the TEs than to the WR2 in this offense, which we don't really have right now. Hopefully someone emerges there.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That's the differentiation - healthy, I think Wilson and Austin should have an opportunity to get the reps. I feel both are capable from their college tape alone. That being said, Pickens goes down, it's a world of hurt for us. 11 in the box.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
People around town talk about Austin and Wilson like the Steelers haven't been more successful than any other team drafting them over the last 20 years.

WIlson in particular just has a dog in him that I don't think people take into consideration - much like Hines in his day. Herbig, Benton, Payton Wilson are cut from the same cloth. Fautanu and Jones, everyone knows they are probably going to be above average to great. I believe Weidl puts the draft boards together and his last two drafts show that he has Colbert-2000 level of feel on the pulse of the talent that is in college.

This defense, specifically this linebacking corps coupled with the offensive line, I think they could do some damage. The very clear fork in the road is QB play and WRs staying healthy.

Last edited:

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I mean, usually a guy that requests a trade gets traded. So we’ll see.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, usually a guy that requests a trade gets traded. So we’ll see.

The 49ers didn't trade Samuel when he requested one in a more or less identical position. Barring the sort of all time sulk that should make teams reconsider whether they actually want Aiyuk, I don't see why they'd handle it differently.

edit: Just to expand on this -

The 49ers had to have thought through all the scenarios when they decided not to trade Aiyuk at the draft, right? Including the real possibility they couldn't get a contract done until a long way through the summer, if then?

If they decided that was the better course then, why change their minds? A trade request had to be one of the scenarios they brought up and decided they could live with.

They're in a championship window. There's no deal they can strike that'll make them stronger this season. They'll still have control over Aiyuk next season through the franchise tag.

The only real reason I see for them to change their mind is Aiyuk getting stupidly unhappy, or a stupidly big trade offer. And a trade request isn't the former.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Not really Higgins requested a trade a long time ago where just used to volunteers over hostages

Exactly what I was going to say. Don't conflate what the Steelers do with other teams' approach.
Lots of guys request trades during the offseason. To be fair, most of them are granted, but not all and I think Aiyuk falls into this category.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
It is insanely tone deaf and stupid of iHeart/the X to not have renewed Madden’s contract thus far. It’s up at the end of august and he’s hinting as if it may not end up being renewed. Pay. The. Man.

Ad

Ad

Ad