Confirmed with Link: Canucks Trade W Vasily Podkolzin to Oilers for 2025 4th (OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks this is pretty much fair value for him at this point ? lol

As the saying goes, the player is worth more to the team than in trade.

Not saying that Pods is worth much to the team at this point but teams usually keep former first round draft picks who can play a bottom 6 role rather than dump him for what is expected to be a low 4th round pick. A 4th round pick is very much a lottery ticket anyways. If they end up placing the player on waivers on losing him then so be it. Like Lias Andersson was moved for a 2nd round pick. Logan Brown was moved for a Sanford (a useful player) and a conditional 4th. Owen Tippett couldn't score when he was in Florida. I mean ya a 4th round pick can get you an established bottom 6 player but you can also sign them for free (which we did this summer).

Pods's main issue is his finishing ability and his tendency to overthink the game. But the guy never stops working. He had 71 hits in 19 games last season in his limited minutes. If you want him to play a physical grinding game next season to stay in the lineup 100% the guy is willing to do that.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Once again, another example of when you have to keep finding reasons for why a guy isn’t producing (ie making excuses for him), it generally ends up working out this way.

Pod’s development was being ‘stalled by Russian coaches that had a grudge against him/the NHL’.

I think we used that one for a couple of years in a row.

Then, apparently Tocchet was part of the same conspiracy because he didn’t want to play him either.

Good kid with a lot of the tools you’d want to see in a young prospect, but it’s a case of a guy who somehow can’t make 1+1=2.

Even for a guy that is a supposed reliable guy in the neutral and d-zone, he wasn’t as reliable there as he needed to be.

If ever there was a young kid that I really hope can turn his career around and achieve success, this is the kid.

He seems like the polar opposite of Virtanen (and even OJ) in that he does seem to be willing to do anything to succeed.

Not sure if he does over think things out on the ice, or just processes the game too slowly, but it wasn’t going to work out here, so this is better for everyone involved.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
do you really want to carry a non-productive podkolzin for 3 years hoping he'll break out at 26? it's just not realistic to extend infinite patience to players when you have limited roster space and are a competitive team. if he's not good enough to play on his own merit then you're just sitting podkolzin in the press box for most of the next 3 seasons and he likely stagnates/regresses regardless

this trade would be slightly disappointing if the canucks were projected to be a bottom dweller and could afford to prioritize long shot developmental prospects but that's not where they're at. given the situation the most likely outcome for the canucks "holding" podkolzin is them losing him on waivers either at training camp or shortly into the season when injuries hit and they need to make roster space. getting a 4th is a fine outcome in that scenario

I understand your concept, but it really depends. If Podkolzin is able to play, create some energy, not be a defensive liability, etc. then yes, I would carry him for 3 years hoping he breaks out. Podkolzin looked a touch lost out there at times, but I don't know, I would have preferred to see what he could do in training camp this year prior to making an assessment.

With that said, I get it, we're trying to win, and all moves should conducive of that concept. If Giuseppe, Sprong, and other similar players provide us a better chance to win with them in the line up, then so be it, I guess in that case we can't think 3 years ahead. I can get behind that concept, but man, if Podkolzin starts to figure it out this year, then reasonably breaks out next year at a 1mil cap hit, we are going to look pretty stupid. We need players that can perform above cap hit, so if we gave one away to our biggest rival in the standings, that's going to sting. Here's to hoping we sold them magic beans instead...

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The potential silver lining in this is that with Pod departing it frees up a logjam of prospects that are knocking on the door - Bains, Raty, Sasson. Without the consideration of Pod on waivers, it gives these guys a clearer shot to win a spot outright out of camp.

Pretty thin gruel, I know. But it's something...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I understand your concept, but it really depends. If Podkolzin is able to play, create some energy, not be a defensive liability, etc. then yes, I would carry him for 3 years hoping he breaks out. Podkolzin looked a touch lost out there at times, but I don't know, I would have preferred to see what he could do in training camp this year prior to making an assessment.

With that said, I get it, we're trying to win, and all moves should conducive of that concept. If Giuseppe, Sprong, and other similar players provide us a better chance to win with them in the line up, then so be it, I guess in that case we can't think 3 years ahead. I can get behind that concept, but man, if Podkolzin starts to figure it out this year, then reasonably breaks out next year at a 1mil cap hit, we are going to look pretty stupid. We need players that can perform above cap hit, so if we gave one away to our biggest rival in the standings, that's going to sting. Here's to hoping we sold them magic beans instead...
Bear in mind, under Tocchet, the Canucks play a far more defensively sound overall game. Though even guys like Boeser (and JT Miller) were able to adapt to this. Pod seemed like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m under no illusions that Podkolzin was ever going to be a productive NHL player or that he was going to be an asset of any real value, now or ever.

However, I do believe that size and physicality is still important in todays NHL and this was a guy who threw close to 300 hits/82 after he was called up last year. I think he could have had a role here on the 4th line.

Instead, they seem to have made the ‘safe’ decision to fall back on PDG even though I think that signings like Heinen and Sherwood have basically taken his minutes/role. And as a 13th forward, I would have rather invested those minutes in Podkolzin than PDG.

But in the end, it’s probably neither here nor there.

That game 82 against Winnipeg where he looked totally lost defensively probably cooked his goose here.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Valeri Nichushkin
Drafted by Dallas Stars
- round 1 #10 overall 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Final KHL Season - 0.33 PPG
First NHL Season - 14 goals
Second NHL Season - 1 point in 8 games
Third NHL Season - 9 goals, 29 points in 79 games
Fourth NHL Season - 0 goals, 10 points in 57 games
Fifth NHL Season - 13 goals, 27 points in 65 games
Sixth NHL Season - 10 goals, 21 points in 55 games

Vasili Podkolzin
Drafted by Vancouver Canucks
- round 1 #10 overall 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Final KHL Season - 0.31 PPG
First NHL Season - 14 goals
Second NHL Season - 7 points in 39 games
Third NHL Season - 0 goals, 2 points in 19 games
As far as we know, Podkolzin isn't addicted to illicit substances.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think there is a few points here.

First pretty clear at best he would have been the 13th forward... is that really where you want to try and continue his development? That is a spot much better for a 31 yr old journeyman.

So you probably try and waive him down, but seems clear he would not have made it through waivers.

I don't like we sent him to the Oilers... hate that...

Don't like that we gave up on him, but its also easy to understand. been 6 years and really hasn't shown improvement, its been very flat. But you can still see something... so frustrating.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Am I the only one who thinks this is pretty much fair value for him at this point ? lol

Reports say they made him available at points last season, including at the deadline, so assuming this was around the best they could do given they obviously thought he wouldn't make the team out of camp and would have to go on waivers.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I’m under no illusions that Podkolzin was ever going to be a productive NHL player or that he was going to be an asset of any real value, now or ever.

However, I do believe that size and physicality is still important in todays NHL and this was a guy who threw close to 300 hits/82 after he was called up last year. I think he could have had a role here on the 4th line.

Instead, they seem to have made the ‘safe’ decision to fall back on PDG even though I think that signings like Heinen and Sherwood have basically taken his minutes/role. And as a 13th forward, I would have rather invested those minutes in Podkolzin than PDG.

But in the end, it’s probably neither here nor there.

That game 82 against Winnipeg where he looked totally lost defensively probably cooked his goose here.

IMO, PDG provides a wider range of utility than Podkolzin, which makes him honestly quite useful as a 12/13F.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
IMO, PDG provides a wider range of utility than Podkolzin, which makes him honestly quite useful as a 12/13F.

yeah you can slot pdg in just about anywhere. if you need to play podkolzin you probably have to make other lineup adjustments because pod just can't play in certain spots

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
yeah you can slot pdg in just about anywhere. if you need to play podkolzin you probably have to make other lineup adjustments because pod just can't play in certain spots

Yeah, as much as everyone likes to dismiss him, PDG has shown himself to be able to be a useful - albeit not ideal - player all over the lineup.

Beyond that, and I don’t really know how to accurately describe this, but even in the 4th line banger role, Podkolzin always looks to me like a player constantly having to remind himself to get moving and get after folks rather than just having that natural ability to stay zoned-in and get on top of guys with pace. I do wonder if he keeps up the bang and crash game consistently over the year once he gets feeling like he’s comfortably made the NHL. Not many guys can naturally keep up that kind of play long-term at NHL pace.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

We have literally 12 forwards who scored at a 30+ point ES clip last year. While PDG was useful as a reliable guy to move up the lineup last year, those opportunities won’t be there this year unless we have an absolute crap ton of injuries.

Given that, I’d be prioritizing adding some size and physicality to a fairly soft roster over a generic jack-of-all-trades guy.

But again, I don’t think it’s really a huge deal either way.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The potential silver lining in this is that with Pod departing it frees up a logjam of prospects that are knocking on the door - Bains, Raty, Sasson. Without the consideration of Pod on waivers, it gives these guys a clearer shot to win a spot outright out of camp.

Pretty thin gruel, I know. But it's something...
I would include Lekkerimaki .... If he makes the team, it allows for someone to get bumped down the lineup with less of a logjam.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah, as much as everyone likes to dismiss him, PDG has shown himself to be able to be a useful - albeit not ideal - player all over the lineup.

Beyond that, and I don’t really know how to accurately describe this, but even in the 4th line banger role, Podkolzin always looks to me like a player constantly having to remind himself to get moving and get after folks rather than just having that natural ability to stay zoned-in and get on top of guys with pace. I do wonder if he keeps up the bang and crash game consistently over the year once he gets feeling like he’s comfortably made the NHL. Not many guys can naturally keep up that kind of play long-term at NHL pace.

Tocchet likely had a hand in it. He seems to have a soft spot for PDG and Aman. Buzz is Canucks seemed pretty convinced Podz would not make Tocchet's roster out of camp.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
He had 5 goals 7 points in 6 games before going down that scary concussion injury. Small sample size I know but still we're not talking about a guy who can't even produce at the AHL level. Hoglander's AHL production in 22-23 was hardly promising (worse than PDG) and he scored 24 goals in the NHL last season.
Hoglander's PPG rate in the AHL was the same as Grabner's, to put things in perspective.

I mean you can blame injuries on Podkolzin but that development time doesn't come back. 6 games is a tiny tiny sample too. What about the hojillion games when he was meh

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Tocchet likely had a hand in it. He seems to have a soft spot for PDG and Aman. Buzz is Canucks seemed pretty convinced Podz would not make Tocchet's roster out of camp.

I mean the soft spot seems to pretty clearly be that they can both PK and both provide some degree of versatility and stability in comparison to Podkolzin.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I mean the soft spot seems to pretty clearly be that they can both PK and both provide some degree of versatility and stability in comparison to Podkolzin.

Yeah agreed. I can't really fault Tocchet, he is looking for players that fill roles. Podz never solidly fit anywhere, and was never given a chance at the PK. But a lot of it was he never even really looked convincing as a grinder. You can hang around hoping the guy puts something together, but he never did here. After the offense dried up, he had a limited route to getting into the line-up, and he never really gelled as a crasher-and-banger in the bottom six.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
We have literally 12 forwards who scored at a 30+ point ES clip last year. While PDG was useful as a reliable guy to move up the lineup last year, those opportunities won’t be there this year unless we have an absolute crap ton of injuries.

Given that, I’d be prioritizing adding some size and physicality to a fairly soft roster over a generic jack-of-all-trades guy.

But again, I don’t think it’s really a huge deal either way.

I think I’d be in agreement except that, IMO, the players that are able to bring that over an extended period in the NHL tend to be killers, and I don’t really see it with Podkolzin.

Maybe I’m seeing him at the wrong times, or I’m misremembering, but I see this as an inherently passive player who is constantly thinking himself around the ice, and I don’t think that type of player is necessarily often able to keep up the level of effort and decision making necessary to be that type of actually effective physical presence over a full season, and especially as the games ramp up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad