PTO: [UTA] F Kailer Yamamoto + 11 others invited to HC camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_9396.jpeg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Guy was trending to be an everyday NHLer until injuries start to hit the guy and he lost that edge he was playing with.

Doesn't really help that he doesn't play PK either.

He honestly is probably best going down to the AHL and try develop some skills he doesn't have, because his toolbox just isn't right for the NHL

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Yamo is the perfect example how a small sample size can be deceiving.

I think it was in 19-20 down the stretch when he went close to PPG in like 30 games for the Oilers.

He’s got some talent and works but to earn a top 6 spot for a full season and keep it up is very hard. Small guy who doesn’t excel defensively, he has to put up points.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Guy was trending to be an everyday NHLer until injuries start to hit the guy and he lost that edge he was playing with.

Doesn't really help that he doesn't play PK either.

He honestly is probably best going down to the AHL and try develop some skills he doesn't have, because his toolbox just isn't right for the NHL
Hes the reason Im wary of Broberg. Yammo had a great 17 game stretch and parlayed it into a 2 year 2mil contract and failed to live up to it.

Small sample sizes are not enough to base big contracts off of. I mean this dude played Leon Draisaitl and RNH and didn't produce outside of a 17 game stretch. Nows hes a PTO bargain bin player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hes the reason Im wary of Broberg. Yammo had a great 17 game stretch and parlayed it into a 2 year 2mil contract and failed to live up to it.

Small sample sizes are not enough to base big contracts off of. I mean this dude played Leon Draisaitl and RNH and didn't produce outside of a 17 game stretch. Nows hes a PTO bargain bin player.
He wasn't the same after injuries. Before them he was aggressive and not afraid of going into corners, then he kinda became a perimeter player.

Which if he still was aggressive like that would have value in the bottom 6 if he isn't putting up points, but he simply just became a master of no skills.

Reactions: luiginb

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

2 year 3.1m

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oilers had high hopes for this guy and often said so. Till they didn't..
He had some great games while wearing the blue and orange and now it looks like at 25 he's struggling to stay in the league.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Predicting it will be a great signing despite what the haters say. If anyone can help him get back to where he was it's GMBA and Tourigny. They're fantastic at getting the most out of these guys, look at Bjugstad, Kerfoot, Carcone, Zucker, O'Brien etc. Maybe Yamamoto amounts to nothing in which case there was no risk in acquiring him and if he does look good he'll be a great asset to Utah. Reminds me a lot of Garland when he's on. Don't think anyone expects him to be a PPG player but if he produces at all like he did in Edmonton it'll be a great signing after coming of a bad year with the Kraken.

But he's still pretty young, turning 26, and while the wings have the greatest depth in Utah it still probably means that Kerfoot can be a center instead of on the wing and pushes Keleman down to the AHL which is good. Great low risk medium reward PTO. Wouldn't be surprised if he meshes really well with Keller/Schmaltz or Cooley/Guenther/Doan or Maccelli/Crouse. A guy who plays really well on the cycle and is a puck hound with some skill is exactly what a lot of Utah's skilled players need. Bonus points if he can be taught defense. Would be ideal if he can be turned into a center but that seems pretty unlikely.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

I still remember after the near point a game on the DRY line some people saying he was going to cost 6m a season. This is why I hate paying for potential. Not upset we walked on Broberg or Holloway either.

Yamo would probably still be an Oiler had he been earning the 1.05-1.5m deal he should have been. He was apparently well liked in the room. Enough so I'm surprised we haven't least looked at a 2way contract (I haven't heard anything on this - perhaps Yamo isn't entertaining 2way deals at this point.

If he can't get an NHL deal outright (which I don't think he will unfortunately), I'd like to see him on Bakers with a 2way deal as an injury call up. Like others have said he's probably best suited to AHL or overseas.

Last edited:

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Predicting it will be a great signing despite what the haters say. If anyone can help him get back to where he was it's GMBA and Tourigny. They're fantastic at getting the most out of these guys, look at Bjugstad, Kerfoot, Carcone, Zucker, O'Brien etc. Maybe Yamamoto amounts to nothing in which case there was no risk in acquiring him and if he does look good he'll be a great asset to Utah. Reminds me a lot of Garland when he's on. Don't think anyone expects him to be a PPG player but if he produces at all like he did in Edmonton it'll be a great signing after coming of a bad year with the Kraken.

But he's still pretty young, turning 26, and while the wings have the greatest depth in Utah it still probably means that Kerfoot can be a center instead of on the wing and pushes Keleman down to the AHL which is good. Great low risk medium reward PTO. Wouldn't be surprised if he meshes really well with Keller/Schmaltz or Cooley/Guenther/Doan or Maccelli/Crouse. A guy who plays really well on the cycle and is a puck hound with some skill is exactly what a lot of Utah's skilled players need. Bonus points if he can be taught defense. Would be ideal if he can be turned into a center but that seems pretty unlikely.
No room for Yamo as is for opening night. All of the guys posted below are better than him.

Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Cooley - Guenther
Crouse - Bjugstad - Doan
Kerfoot - Mcbain - Stenlund

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Tough spot for him to earn a one-way deal, but we’ll see. Another player who may want to go make a name for himself overseas. He just doesn’t do enough to be in the lineup every night. Maybe if someone has a couple injuries in camp, and needs a body with a little offense, he’ll get a deal this year, but not sure that’s in Utah, unless they need a scoring winger in Tucson this year.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Too small and weak. Poor skater for a small guy. Panics with the puck too much. Not skilled enough for top 6. Not a complete enough player for bottom 6. A year in the AHL then Europe is probably his route.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
He was so good at being the digger on that line with Nuge and Drai. He needs to be the Honey Badger to be effective at the NHL level but isn't rugged enough to maintain that type of play.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Can't see him supplanting Carcone
Ya carcone is the 13th forward currently, and may even be on the opening night lineup over Doan. Who knows for sure. I do know will have injuries again though, so there'll be openings for other guys. I just don't know if Yamo is that guy.

Reactions: Schemp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad