Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Discussing a new contract doesn’t stop the Penguins trading Pettersson.

Re-signing Pettersson doesn’t stop the Penguins trading Pettersson.

There’s no rush on any decision.

Ya who cares if the penguins are discussing contracts with Petts. Like no matter what they were going to. Even if you go to trade him, it’s better to know what he is looking for to tell a team.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
His value only stands to drop over time, it isn't gonna improve over time, he's a non-factor on this team, and it's probably easier to deal a whatever DFD like Petts on an expiring deal than when he's got like 4 years of term attached at probably 150% the AAV he's at now. You also run the risk of injury or his game regressing. I think dealing the guy is pretty high on this team's to do list this season. /shrug

He's not important to this team. I'm not even sure I'd say he's good--he just happens to be the only guy on this slopshit blueline who even half-understands how to play in the defensive zone. I just don't see any need whatsoever to re-sign the guy, from any angle. He doesn't really matter now, he's not gonna be part of the post-Sid era plans, and he doesn't strike me as a mentor guy for the bridge period between eras of contending. Just take whatever decent return you can at the TDL and forget he ever existed. :laugh:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
All yinz jagoffs who voted wrong in the prospects threads better recognize 🤣 .
Compliments of Miss Haase at dksports (probably my last link to that site. It's become a joke. Freezes constantly. Try to scroll through an article and goes back a page while scrolling down.....)

• Murashov just robbed three guys back-to-back-to-back. He's a brick wall down there.

• Ponomarev and Rust have each had like, three Grade-A chances on Murashov and can't beat him. Some frustrated looks after, haha.
"Marc Johnstone-Jonathan Gruden-Corey Andonovski is another line" - A shudder of cold permeates the league as Sully's dream line comes together.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Discussing a new contract doesn’t stop the Penguins trading Pettersson.

Re-signing Pettersson doesn’t stop the Penguins trading Pettersson.

There’s no rush on any decision.
I mean ideally you trade Pettersson before he signs a deal that will be tougher to move when they want to move him, he could always negotiate a new deal with his new team at the TDL, I just don't see it wise to commit to a bloke that is 28 and on a team that likely isn't in any race to even be a potential contender at this stage. Not that he's old, but this core is old and they're not going to be a good team for at least a couple more seasons unless something drastic happens like the coach being fired and forcing Dubas to make moves to adjust to the new coach's style and philosophy with this team and its player types.

Especially at the raise he's set to earn, he's definitely going to look at a decent cap hit and if they want to lower it, a term that will definitely not be friendly as this team continues its non-playoffs future. I saw him as a big trade chip at the TDL, you retain on Pettersson for the remainder of his 1yr left and you get back a pretty healthy return given what he can do defensively for a lot of contenders around that time. Nothing against Pettersson as a player, it's more or less the team's current situation and state.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
All yinz jagoffs who voted wrong in the prospects threads better recognize 🤣 .
Compliments of Miss Haase at dksports (probably my last link to that site. It's become a joke. Freezes constantly. Try to scroll through an article and goes back a page while scrolling down.....)

• Murashov just robbed three guys back-to-back-to-back. He's a brick wall down there.

• Ponomarev and Rust have each had like, three Grade-A chances on Murashov and can't beat him. Some frustrated looks after, haha.
I'm glad to see Jeff Carter stay on as I guess a type of coach, for the amount of dipshits this team has as coaches - Sullivan and Quinn - Jeff Carter is actually a good bloke that has always seemed like he would be good with guiding young players and their development as well as showing them support.

This team needs at least one bloke like that.

I'm really keen to see how they balance Murashov and Blomqvist, because that's going to be tricky, you obviously play the hot hand but I think there's going to be a pretty decent split between the two of them. Which I guess sucks for Gauthier and possibly even Larsson, although the latter at his age isn't really much of an issue. Maybe they can loan Gauthier to another AHL team or he ends up back in the ECHL. It's going to be an interesting struggle for who stays in WBS and who gets sent to ECHL and how they manage the playing time between Blomqvist, Murashov, and Larsson.

Also, lol wtf is this shit....

• Moving into a scrimmage now. One team's top line is Drew O'Connor-Sidney Crosby-Bryan Rust. Other team starts Michael Bunting-Lars Eller-Rickard Rakell.

• One team sends out Jesse Puljujarvi-Noel Acciari-Valtteri Puustinen next. They go up against Anthony Beauvillier-Evgeni Malkin-Kevin Hayes.

Who decided those "teams" were even balanced or remotely close to being fair? Lol, one side has Sid & Geno, the other side has....Noel Acciari and Eller as their C's. Also Nieto is working out and skating, I don't think he's going to be LTIR because if he's doing that, he's medically fine...

"Malkin's been with Kevin Hayes for every drill..." - I knew this was going to happen and yet I am still surprised for some reason.

Last edited:

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
tenor.gif

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Keeping Petts here until the deadline is nothing more than a stupid risk. They're already in as strong of a position with his trade value as they're gonna get.
Waiting only opens the door for decline in play/value and injury.

Just trade him to a team that's desperate for a quality shutdown D-man, like the Blues. Dubas even has a strong relationship with Armstrong.
We can take on Krug's full contract and throw him on LTIR, since he's out for this season.
Then the Blues give us the appropriate compensation in futures.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I'm not sure how true that is given the reports that Jake wasn't happy about the team's efforts to re-sign him or being traded.
He also mentioned how he was excited to test the market. Jake's camp also really didn't make it easy to discuss the extension before the season and had some dumb no negotiations rule during the season. So his camp made it nearly impossible to sign him until the season was over.

And what gm is dumb enough to wait and then lose him for nothing. The best trick Jake and his camp ever pulled was making Penguins fans believe he wanted to stay.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I say this when making it explicit that any sort of major NTC or major term on Pettersson's deal would change my tune on this dramatically.

Believe Petts already has some NMC now. Why would a player not ask for that again if he already has it?

This team and giving out NMC's like candy is going to ruin any "rebuild" talk really quick

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
Believe Petts already has some NMC now. Why would a player not ask for that again if he already has it?

This team and giving out NMC's like candy is going to ruin any "rebuild" talk really quick
8 team no trade. Id guess the 8 teams on it wouldnt be looking for his type anyway.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Lol at anyone thinking Jake actually wanted to stay

His little video stunt where he looked sad right after was just because the anxiety of change was hitting a mentally stunted pro athlete making his first big decision

Dubas certainly didn't chase him out

Now look at him spreading his wings chasing his money

Lol

His “video stunt”. Jesus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad