Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Yeah, it looks like Sullivan is planning to move Geno to 3C in favor of Eller lol
And the 4th? Ooof. That's setting Puusy up for failure and I was hoping to not see Pool unless and injury happened down the line. And then only a game here and there.
And where dafuq is Lizotte?

Reactions: Andy99

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Even “real” camp doesn’t matter for the guys with guaranteed jobs. Remember Smith and Malkin were the next coming during camp and the first 5 games?

I am more interested in who is making team/getting waived than I am in Sept-Nov line combos. Who of the unproven/prospect crowd is the staff actually giving a shot and who have they written off already. Not saying it’s completely unimportant but I feel like the RS is a better litmus test for who works with who up front.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
According to Taylor, some line combos (split into two teams, not sure which set of players is with which)....in other words, Sullivan dreamed up a line combo that really f**ks Geno…what a surprise lol…also says for every drill Geno has been with Hayes lol

Drew O'Connor-Sidney Crosby-Bryan Rust
Anthony Beauvillier-Evgeni Malkin-Kevin Hayes
Michael Bunting-Lars Eller-Rickard Rakell
Jesse Puljujarvi-Noel Acciari-Valtteri Puustinen

*Laughs in Sullivan*

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Feel like it would go against everything Dubas has done since the Guentzel trade to extend Pettersson long term. Honestly, if it wasn’t for a mandate from ownership/getting torn apart from the city of Pittsburgh, I think Dubas would consider trading Sid to truly kick start the rebuild.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you can get Pettersson to sign that same deal that Larsson got, I don't really have any issues with re-signing Pettersson :dunno:

Whether you trade him in 2024 or 2028 won't impact his value. His value is like 2 2nds regardless of when you move him, and similar players (guys like Tanev) even bring back that kind of value into their mid 30s.

I don't want to see some asinine 6 or 7 year deal, that would be ridiculous. But a 4 year deal with plans to flip him in year 3 of it? Sure, why not.

Feel like it would go against everything Dubas has done since the Guentzel trade to extend Pettersson long term. Honestly, if it wasn’t for a mandate from ownership/getting torn apart from the city of Pittsburgh, I think Dubas would consider trading Sid to truly kick start the rebuild.

Difference between Guentzel and Pettersson is what they'd cost to re-sign. Guentzel's extension locks him in with Tampa Bay for the rest of his career (effectively) with a full NMC, 7 year term and $9 million AAV. Pettersson's deal will not be nearly as restrictive and likely will be trade bait before the end of his deal.

I say this when making it explicit that any sort of major NTC or major term on Pettersson's deal would change my tune on this dramatically.

Reactions: Rave7215

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If you can get Pettersson to sign that same deal that Larsson got, I don't really have any issues with re-signing Pettersson :dunno:

Whether you trade him in 2024 or 2028 won't impact his value. His value is like 2 2nds regardless of when you move him, and similar players (guys like Tanev) even bring back that kind of value into their mid 30s.

I don't want to see some asinine 6 or 7 year deal, that would be ridiculous. But a 4 year deal with plans to flip him in year 3 of it? Sure, why not.

Difference between Guentzel and Pettersson is what they'd cost to re-sign. Guentzel's extension locks him in with Tampa Bay for the rest of his career (effectively) with a full NMC, 7 year term and $9 million AAV. Pettersson's deal will not be nearly as restrictive and likely will be trade bait before the end of his deal.

I say this when making it explicit that any sort of major NTC or major term on Pettersson's deal would change my tune on this dramatically.

I don't see why he signs something that isn't 6 years.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
According to Taylor, some line combos (split into two teams, not sure which set of players is with which)....in other words, Sullivan dreamed up a line combo that really f**ks Geno…what a surprise lol…also says for every drill Geno has been with Hayes lol

Drew O'Connor-Sidney Crosby-Bryan Rust
Anthony Beauvillier-Evgeni Malkin-Kevin Hayes
Michael Bunting-Lars Eller-Rickard Rakell
Jesse Puljujarvi-Noel Acciari-Valtteri Puustinen

cIAWQdx.gif

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Pagnotta is often incorrect but IF they extend Petts the thinking is likely “well we need to have someone for the kids to play with and it’s better to spend it on a guy we know can play a hard role in Petts than overpay a FA in 4 years”

Not sure I agree. I probably would if we were deeper into a rebuild but we don’t have assets to say no to his hypothetical return. When you already have a million 2nds and multiple firsts and a deep pool is when moving a Petts for picks is just diminishing returns. We’re not in that boat.

Also this is copium but I’ve negotiated with tenants where we don’t want to extend their lease and want them to leave the office building (and turn it into residential). But you still need to “start talks” and see what type of deal they are willing to make even though you don’t plan to keep them.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pagnotta is often incorrect but IF they extend Petts the thinking is likely “well we need to have someone for the kids to play with and it’s better to spend it on a guy we know can play a hard role in Petts than overpay a FA in 4 years”

Not sure I agree. I probably would if we were deeper into a rebuild but we don’t have assets to say no to his hypothetical return. When you already have a million 2nds and multiple firsts and a deep pool is when moving a Petts for picks is just diminishing returns. We’re not in that boat.

Also this is copium but I’ve negotiated with tenants where we don’t want to extend their lease and want them to leave the office building (and turn it into residential). But you still need to “start talks” and see what type of deal they are willing to make even though you don’t plan to keep them.

We have Ryan Graves for 5 more years.

• Haha
Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see why he signs something that isn't 6 years.

Based on the free agents that have gotten 6 year deals recently, I don't really think Pettersson is on par with them.

I think he realistically maxes out at 5x5. I can't see a team giving him more than that, Pesce got 6x5.5 and Pesce is a clear tier above Pettersson IMO.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Based on the free agents that have gotten 6 year deals recently, I don't really think Pettersson is on par with them.

I think he realistically maxes out at 5x5. I can't see a team giving him more than that, Pesce got 6x5.5 and Pesce is a clear tier above Pettersson IMO.
he comps well (better? in terms of points and EV TOI) to Roy who got 5.75M for 6 years

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
he comps well (better? in terms of points and EV TOI) to Roy who got 5.75M for 6 years

That's probably a fair comp but Roy also has the RHD bonus too.

I wouldn't be too shocked if Pettersson could get those 5.3x6 projections but I feel like he's more of a guy who should be in that 4-5 year range. But with the cap skyrocketing in the near future, who knows what he'll end up getting on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad