OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They really don't. The DL can be upgraded but if Leal and Loudermilk are players, that line should be just fine this season. CB we definitely need. We could use a safety opposite Minkah and a WR.

I don't think I'm being overly negative to suggest the odds are that Leal and Loudermilk aren't players. Maybe one is, but not both.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
They really don't. The DL can be upgraded but if Leal and Loudermilk are players, that line should be just fine this season. CB we definitely need. We could use a safety opposite Minkah and a WR.

I very much disagree here. What have Leal and Loudermilk shown in 2 years that makes you think they'll be significant contributors this season? I won't bother posting their stats (which are almost non-existent).

These 2 guys are busts and wouldn't surprise me if 1 got replaced by other teams' pickups this summer.

Dline is a HUGE concern for me this offseason. Less than WR (probably in the minority)

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Loudermilk is a run stopper depth dl leal has to make a huge jump to even make the roster
Safety is fine for now

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah if the Weidl-Philly influence is to be believed, I would not be shocked to see this team try and load up on that position group over the next few drafts.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We are somewhat optimistic of improvement at quarterback. But it could go anywhere from disaster to amazing. You can point to many areas on the team like that. the range anywhere from amazing to disaster.

Way too many to hope that all of them hit as we hope. Enough should to be at least mediocre. But all? Unlikely at best.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
We are somewhat optimistic of improvement at quarterback. But it could go anywhere from disaster to amazing. You can point to many areas on the team like that. the range anywhere from amazing to disaster.

Way too many to hope that all of them hit as we hope. Enough should to be at least mediocre. But all? Unlikely at best.

Yup- the stars really have to align and they'll need a horseshoe up their ass to assume all of these position groups will gel.

Guess it's a good exercise to do this by position group compared to last year.

QB- Better
RB - Better due to Oline play/scheme
TE - Same
WR - Worse
Oline - Better

Dline - Worse
LB - Better
CB - Same
Safety - Same

Reactions: Headshot77

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Yup- the stars really have to align and they'll need a horseshoe up their ass to assume all of these position groups will gel.

QB- Better
TE - Same
WR - Worse
Oline - Better

Dline - Worse
LB - Better
CB - Same
Safety - Same

I’d argue that Dline could be in better shape this year than last year assuming that Heyward is healthier and Benton takes a leap.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I’d argue that Dline could be in better shape this year than last year assuming that Heyward is healthier and Benton takes a leap.
I'd argue that DLine, and all the other positions, COULD be better, even much better this year. Or not gel and be very disappointing.

That's the entire point. We have reason to be optimistic. But equally good reason for worry. Across nearly every position.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Glass half full: Overall roster is improved in a few key areas (QB/OL/MLB) and getting rid of Canada was addition by subtraction

Glass half empty: Schedule is harder on paper, 9-2 record in one score games isn't repeatable and we were fortunate to not have to play Burrow 2x

Reactions: Peat

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

QB- Better
TE - Same
WR - Worse
Oline - Better

Dline - Worse
LB - Better
CB - Same
Safety - Same
Why is the WR worse? Losing soff DJ? Did you see the depth they added, also with CA111 having a coach that understands how to get him in space? Add in RW in place of DJ and I see this current WR as a huge upgrade.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Glass half full: Overall roster is improved in a few key areas (QB/OL/MLB) and getting rid of Canada was addition by subtraction

Glass half empty: Schedule is harder on paper, 9-2 record in one score games isn't repeatable and we were fortunate to not have to play Burrow 2x

To say QB is improved is a question mark. Relying on the ghost of 37 y/o QB isn't what I would say a slam dunk. It could work out for just this year but I expect a drop off after next year from Wilson. They have to draft a QB next year, Many already know what I think of Fields ceiling. They better give the next guy they draft more than 2 years is all I'm saying.

Secondly, now that you got rid of a guy drafted 2 years ago while he had room to improve under an actual coordinator (and while still in development). Then to say old coordinator was addition by subtraction. A lot big ifs on the opinion that QB will be improved

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
To say QB is improved is a question mark. Relying on the ghost of 37 y/o QB isn't what I would say a slam dunk. It could work out for just this year but I expect a drop off after next year from Wilson. They have to draft a QB next year, Many already know what I think of Fields ceiling. They better give the next guy they draft more than 2 years is all I'm saying.

Secondly, now that you got rid of a guy drafted 2 years ago while he had room to improve under an actual coordinator (and while still in development). Then to say old coordinator was addition by subtraction. A lot big ifs on the opinion that QB will be improved
I mean everything is a question mark until we actually see what happens on the field this year, but I don't think it's unfair to say we got pretty poor QB play for the majority of the season from Pickett/Trubisky until Mason went on a little run. Like bottom 5 at the position among guys with a reasonable amount of snaps. I know passing TD's aren't purely a QB stat but we had 13 total last year 🤢. There was a lot of attributing factors but I don't really care to get into all that again.

Russ (who's 35 not 37 by the way) has obviously declined from when he was in his peak in Seattle but should still represent an upgrade over what we had last year. Not saying it's a massive one, or will even matter in terms of our playoff chances but even something resembling QB15-25ish still counts as an upgrade in my eyes for the purpose of this exercise.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think if I were doing half full and half empty I'd be tempted to put OL and DL into both categories, and for me that's the probable crux of the season.

OL... I love the decision to draft a long term solution to fix this for a good long time but short term, short term two rookies and one inexperienced second year guy is a recipe for some bad days. How many, we don't know but it could be as many bad as good.

If that happens, the offence is a bit screwed. You can't run and run and run if your OL isn't above the line. Wilson and Fields are not the QBs you'd pick for a dodgy OL either.

Alternately, if they come together quickly and do some damage with Smith's scheme, things could go very well very quickly. Harris and Warren behind a good OL with a good OC could really, really punish teams. In a situation where Wilson can rely on his RBs to move the chains and throw at frightened defences, he can cause damage.

Look at the DL and there's a big swing between fit and back to form Heyward, surging Benton, maybe even bounce back Ogunjobi and Leal or Loudermilk taking a step... and having all of those as they finished last season, maybe even a step back or two. Which is the big difference between a DL that is difficult to run on and is collapsing pockets to make the OLBs' life easier, and a DL that is gouged easily and doesn't help the OLBs.

In both cases, I think it's very up in the air and shall have big consequences either way.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

QB- Better
TE - Same
WR - Worse
Oline - Better

Dline - Worse
LB - Better
CB - Same
Safety - Same

Though I think the OL specifically will be much better than last season, optimism isn't necessarily immediate improvement - it's that we have solutions in place that I think have a good chance at developing into something useful. This line is going to show their inexperience, but a botched block now is a bit more savvy later. We all will be able to deal with that.

MLB and OL will be much improved over last season - you can all but guarantee that. Way too much talent added to both.

How is DL worse Bizarre?

Secondary is the hole for sure. Porter's stats should look good though because he's never going to get thrown at. That is going to be the hole in the boat this season.

WR is worse right now, but I think the talent they have will work really well in this system. I also think Muth is going to turn into the focal point of this passing offense, they take big shots with Pickens, and they get Austin and WIlson in space with the ball.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Heyward is also a year OLDER and more likely to suffer lingering injuries.
Benton will be a stud. But how often have we seen rookies on this team take a step BACKWARD after promising first seasons?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Why is the WR worse? Losing soff DJ? Did you see the depth they added, also with CA111 having a coach that understands how to get him in space? Add in RW in place of DJ and I see this current WR as a huge upgrade.

Setting aside DJ's attitude, he GOT OPEN a f*** ton and defenses had to account for him. So while he was an idiot when he actually caught the ball, he was probably 1 of the top guys in the league in getting separation.

Don't be confused by this team's attempt to fill that WR1 opening with quantity over quality. None of those dudes you listed has done jack in the NFL to be relied upon. And while I'm super high on Pickens, he needs a Robin on the other side to draw attention away.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Setting aside DJ's attitude, he GOT OPEN a f*** ton and defenses had to account for him. So while he was an idiot when he actually caught the ball, he was probably 1 of the top guys in the league in getting separation.

Don't be confused by this team's attempt to fill that WR1 opening with quantity over quality. None of those dudes you listed has done jack in the NFL to be relied upon. And while I'm super high on Pickens, he needs a Robin on the other side to draw attention away.

Yeah and even with the hate he got, he was relatively productive. He was pacing at around 1,000 yards and 7 TDs if he had played all 17 games.

I like the Wilson pick and think he could be good but I think expecting him to come in as a rookie and have that production is unrealistic.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

It will be interesting to see what DJ sees away from Pittsburgh. I think DJ got "open" but I don't think DJ was QB friendly.

I really can see how this WR corps is going to work. It's a massive question mark with neon lights in it, but it could actually work with Wilson and Austin and the use of play action.

Austin was an outside guy at Memphis. He can run routes. Sauce Gardner called him the most difficult WR he played against. He has opportunity here now and I hope he takes advantage of it. But he's one of those dudes that if they can get play action to really work, he's going to be comically open.

Just saw some random article saying we should trade for Tyreek Hill

Not opposed whatsoever.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I'm not talking about his attitude, he was soft, rarely getting that needed YTG.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I'm not talking about his attitude, he was soft, rarely getting that needed YTG.

I know you weren't, but he was still: a) Productive and b) Got open.

That's hard to replace with unproven guys (a rookie, 2nd year guy, a castoff)

Just saw some random article saying we should trade for Tyreek Hill

Yea I saw that nonsense.

1) What we'd give up would be insane to acquire a guy like him
2) Until I see Smith's offense with the Steelers, I don't think Hill would be utilized appropriately here. In fact, I'd feel bad for the guy to waste his tremendous talents

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Tyrik Hill nor Bradon Aiyuk want to come to a team with no QB and a terrible coaching staff. Period.

Don't worry once the season gets underway things will be back to normal with the slow starts and the inconsistencies and Tomlin pretending he knows what he's doing.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I know you weren't, but he was still: a) Productive and b) Got open.

That's hard to replace with unproven guys (a rookie, 2nd year guy, a castoff)
DJ was not particularly productive though. I mean, he compiled stats because he got a TON of targets but on a per target basis he was not impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad