OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
If you can't accept it then you're just a glutton for punishment.

Again no one believes we are a SB contender. But we are competitive within the division. I think that's a very fair statement. We went 5-1 last year without Burrow playin. Not bad with an anemic offense.
I actually think the opposite. The people who accept it are the people who come into every year thinking this could be their year. If it weren’t for family, I wouldn’t have watched a Steelers game in over 10 years. Tomlin was clearly cooked before then, and he’s still here, backed by a bad ownership group(that DID NOT support the Pens staying in Pittsburgh) and people still think he’s capable. Crazy to me that anyone would choose to ignore the countless poor management moves over the past decade and waste their time seriously watching this franchise while hoping that this team was going to turn things around in any tangible way.

Reactions: Night Shift

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The thing about Wilson and Fields is they faced very different tests. Buffalo's 1st team DL absolutely annihilated the Steelers 1st team OL. That pretty awesome play where Fields escaped a certain sack to find Fitzpatrick... well maybe a 1st teamer would have brought Fields down there and maybe they wouldn't, but I feel confident in saying the majority of 1st team CBs in the NFL at least break up that pass if not outright intercept it. I mean, nothing else, that CB is 5'9" and it hit his hands, most CBs are taller than 5'9".

Wilson failed his test. Fields got a... I've no idea how to grade him tbh, but certainly didn't fail as hard. But when the tests are so different...

If it turns out the problem is he simply wasn't fit enough to generate power and was assuming stupid stances because he knew it, that'll reflect really badly on Tomlin in my book.

Reactions: Andy99

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Things almost turned ugly for Tomlin last year, but Rudolph saved his butt starting in that Cincy game. There was a chance if they had lost out, Tomlin might have been shown the door. Then Tomlin dumps the guy who saved him.......sad but true

Reactions: lastcupever75

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Jones has been practicing with an elbow brace and not able to stretch his elbow but has told multiple reporters he was fine

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Things almost turned ugly for Tomlin last year, but Rudolph saved his butt starting in that Cincy game. There was a chance if they had lost out, Tomlin might have been shown the door. Then Tomlin dumps the guy who saved him.......sad but true

You What will save him again this year? Speaking all his word salad PCs in a British accent all season. The media will eat that up. HO HO what a guy, the new and improved!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I actually think the opposite. The people who accept it are the people who come into every year thinking this could be their year. If it weren’t for family, I wouldn’t have watched a Steelers game in over 10 years. Tomlin was clearly cooked before then, and he’s still here, backed by a bad ownership group(that DID NOT support the Pens staying in Pittsburgh) and people still think he’s capable. Crazy to me that anyone would choose to ignore the countless poor management moves over the past decade and waste their time seriously watching this franchise while hoping that this team was going to turn things around in any tangible way.
OK, here's the thing. And let me say I watch most games on DVR, (never live as I won't sit through commercials). There's far too much wasted time doing so!

But here's my point. Most people lead pathetic lives, so wasting time and sitting through a mediocre product is ok for them because their personal lives are even more pathetic! That probably encompasses 80% of the fan base. Their lives are so devoid of meaning or happiness they relish those 3 and 1/2 hours 17 times a year so they feel a sense of belonging. And when they're rooting for what they perceive as ''their team'' it makes them feel a little better about their existence. They escape their bratty kids, or nosy in laws etc.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
The thing about Wilson and Fields is they faced very different tests. Buffalo's 1st team DL absolutely annihilated the Steelers 1st team OL. That pretty awesome play where Fields escaped a certain sack to find Fitzpatrick... well maybe a 1st teamer would have brought Fields down there and maybe they wouldn't, but I feel confident in saying the majority of 1st team CBs in the NFL at least break up that pass if not outright intercept it. I mean, nothing else, that CB is 5'9" and it hit his hands, most CBs are taller than 5'9".

Wilson failed his test. Fields got a... I've no idea how to grade him tbh, but certainly didn't fail as hard. But when the tests are so different...

Yeah neither acquitted themselves well, but the 1st team offense got only a single first down in 4 series lol.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Steelers are they very fabric, attitude and style of the city of PIttsburgh, the choices are you get in line or you get marginalized by the yinzers. They truly don't have anything else in life to hold onto. So, if Tomlin is steering the ship they'll gladly take the plunge to bottom ala the titanic. They simply don't know anything else!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah neither acquitted themselves well, but the 1st team offense got only a single first down in 4 series lol.

The thing about Fields was it was his usual mix of good and bad and I feel you've got to be harsh as there weren't points but at the same time, that's not entirely on him. I really didn't like the calls for the drive that ended with the read option that got stuffed. There was another third down that went wrong that seemed to be screaming for a QB sneak that wasn't called. Etc.etc.

Reactions: WickedWrister

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The thing about Fields was it was his usual mix of good and bad and I feel you've got to be harsh as there weren't points but at the same time, that's not entirely on him. I really didn't like the calls for the drive that ended with the read option that got stuffed. There was another third down that went wrong that seemed to be screaming for a QB sneak that wasn't called. Etc.etc.
The offensive line got cratered bad. Mahomes would have got crushed with how they played! Jones was an abomination out there!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
To get all the video breakdowns underway...

You need to click through and read the reply for the analysis, but you can also kind of get it just by pausing the video at about 4 seconds when Fields hits the end of his dropback. That's the sort of wide open guy deep down the middle Smith is trying to get all day every day, Can't pass that up very often if the offence is going to work.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah I thought the 2 minute drill before half looked good until that RPO. And then two long drives that led to turnover on downs inside the Bills 20. At least his unit was able to move the ball but we should be grading on a curve. I do wonder if a guy like Pickens makes that play on the missed deep ball, Luther did stop running a bit upon further review. But I'm just looking for positives at this point.

Reactions: T1K and Peat

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
To get all the video breakdowns underway...

You need to click through and read the reply for the analysis, but you can also kind of get it just by pausing the video at about 4 seconds when Fields hits the end of his dropback. That's the sort of wide open guy deep down the middle Smith is trying to get all day every day, Can't pass that up very often if the offence is going to work.
That is pretty pathetic qb vision.......yikes. We are going to really, really suck this year. Although tomlin always saves his record in December when other teams start mailing it in for the year.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yeah I thought the 2 minute drill before half looked good until that RPO. And then two long drives that led to turnover on downs inside the Bills 20. At least his unit was able to move the ball but we should be grading on a curve. I do wonder if a guy like Pickens makes that play on the missed deep ball, Luther did stop running a bit upon further review. But I'm just looking for positives at this point.
Even GP doesn’t catch that. Not nearly enough air for the wr to run under.
Are you referring to the 3rd down rpo he kept instead of hand it off or where he missed the wr open on the red zone

That is pretty pathetic qb vision.......yikes. We are going to really, really suck this year. Although tomlin always saves his record in December when other teams start mailing it in for the year.
No the offense is going to be extremely run heavy with deep passes to Gp. They will still win games on defense and running

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Did you look at our schedule in DEC? No one will be mailing it in. No, to get over .500 it'll have to be earned.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

My take on that missed ball is it depends on what route the WR was meant to run. Was he meant to keep pushing further into the end zone? Then yeah. Did he stop running a bit so he'd arrive at the designated point on time? Then no.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It wasn’t a perfect throw, but Pickens definitely at least gets hands on that.

I don’t recall Russ trying to push the ball down the field at all. I got flashbacks from last year.

The run game has been disappointing, but hopefully that’s a function of not giving away our good stuff in the preseason.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
So I see we are overreacting again to preseason.

Last year we were winning the Superbowl based off of it, and this year we are picking top 10.

I'll take this years team.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So I see we are overreacting again to preseason.

Last year we were winning the Superbowl based off of it, and this year we are picking top 10.

I'll take this years team.
Of course you will, like most Yinzers what other choice do you have? lol

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I've just realised that so far this pre-season that with Wilson/Fields on the field, the Steelers have taken twice as many sacks as they've scored points.

• Haha
Reactions: JTG

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

More 3 WR looks than I was expecting. Probably had something to do with being in bad down and distance in the first half.

Only feel good story the whole night was the international pathway program guy getting a sack :laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's the 2nd preseason game, but there are some alarming things going on. Jones got terrorized at RT. That experiment needs to end right now. Only positive was we found a punter.

The best thing for this offense to do is to run the ball. It will help these young linemen and that's really our only play right now. If this is how Wilson looks, Fields is the obvious answer. I'd rather let a 25 year old QB and a rookie line jell together and make mistakes together. At least that is getting us somewhere. Watching Russ throw lame ducks...I'm good on that.

Fields has to get the ball out of his hand. Back foot hits, he has to let it go. His issue is timing, I think. There is no rhythm to how he plays QB. It's very chaotic. Love his traits, but between him and this line, this is going to be wild.

It's not the greatest look that despite facing a QB who doesn't pass, the Steelers have still got gouged by the run.

This draft has to be defensive line. There are quite a few guys that fit. They should walk away with a guy in the middle round who has a good chance to be a starter. The crop looks to be super high end.

Not many highlight worthy plays tonight but this was cool

Plays like that are why people think the Justin Fields experiment is worth it. That's special athleticism.

Also...........to hell with NFL. They have the nerve to have have a obtuse amount of commercials. disgusting product
Hoooooooollllllllllllyyyyyyyy heck like!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:help:

I feel like a hamburger in a burger joint!

Don't talk about that 3rd stringer anymore, enough, he's gone! Let him go!

When do you both quit watching the games and let the rest of us try to enjoy the experience? Your display in this thread is as brutal as the Steelers play on the field.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's the 2nd preseason game, but there are some alarming things going on. Jones got terrorized at RT. That experiment needs to end right now. Only positive was we found a punter.

The best thing for this offense to do is to run the ball. It will help these young linemen and that's really our only play right now. If this is how Wilson looks, Fields is the obvious answer. I'd rather let a 25 year old QB and a rookie line jell together and make mistakes together. At least that is getting us somewhere. Watching Russ throw lame ducks...I'm good on that.

Fields has to get the ball out of his hand. Back foot hits, he has to let it go. His issue is timing, I think. There is no rhythm to how he plays QB. It's very chaotic. Love his traits, but between him and this line, this is going to be wild.

This draft has to be defensive line. There are quite a few guys that fit. They should walk away with 2. The crop looks to be super high end.

Plays like that are why people think the Justin Fields experiment is worth it. That's special athleticism.

When do you both quit watching the games and let the rest of us try to enjoy the experience? Your display in this thread is as brutal as the Steelers play on the field.
Please explain all of the enjoyable moments in that game............I'll wait..............crickets.

If you have a problem with a particular post, let's hear it. "oh you're too negative" Again, tell me the positives sir genius.

I am ahead of the curve, that's a fact. I was the only person I read anywhere last week with B Jones concerns. Maybe you should listen to what I have to say and learn.

And you're talking Dline when they don't have a QB and have a very overrated HC that has never once built a contender. Yes they need Dline, but if their Defensive HC actually knew his side of the ball, they would ooze with talent on that side of ball.

Reactions: Night Shift
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad