OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Please explain all of the enjoyable moments in that game............I'll wait..............crickets.

If you have a problem with a particular post, let's hear it. "oh you're too negative" Again, tell me the positives sir genius.

I am ahead of the curve, that's a fact. I was the only person I read anywhere last week with B Jones concerns. Maybe you should listen to what I have to say and learn.

And you're talking Dline when they don't have a QB and have a very overrated HC that has never once built a contender. Yes they need Dline, but if their Defensive HC actually knew his side of the ball, they would ooze with talent on that side of ball.
There weren't any but you legitimately make it worse. You're not breaking anything people don't see. You're the smartest football fan. There...we have said it and covered it. Now STFU.

Reactions: MrBrightside

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The best thing for this offense to do is to run the ball. It will help these young linemen and that's really our only play right now. If this is how Wilson looks, Fields is the obvious answer. I'd rather let a 25 year old QB and a rookie line jell together and make mistakes together. At least that is getting us somewhere. Watching Russ throw lame ducks...I'm good on that.

Unless this OL comes together really quickly, they're going to kill the career of whichever QB is out there with them. I feel like anyone who believes in Fields should devoutly hope he's not out there until those guys grow up.

Although last night's OL wasn't that young. Frazier was the only rookie, Jones the only other non-multiple years starter. It just stunk.

This draft has to be defensive line. There are quite a few guys that fit. They should walk away with a guy in the middle round who has a good chance to be a starter. The crop looks to be super high end.

They could really use a DL but there's way too many other possible choices way things are going.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Unless this OL comes together really quickly, they're going to kill the career of whichever QB is out there with them. I feel like anyone who believes in Fields should devoutly hope he's not out there until those guys grow up.

Although last night's OL wasn't that young. Frazier was the only rookie, Jones the only other non-multiple years starter. It just stunk.

They could really use a DL but there's way too many other possible choices way things are going.

I think a DL is as important as any. To me, QB is the last piece with this group. I'd run with Fields and just let him be a 2nd running back. It's the only way it appears this offensive line is going to be able to not get him killed.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I will say the one shining spot right now are the two young Wisco guys on defense - Benton and Herbig. They are core future guys, I think. They are what we want this defense to be. They embody it. Fast, physical, they love football, boundless energy. I love them. Herbig looks like Harrison before he made it. He runs around like a lunatic.

And Johnston is a monster. What a punter!

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Different interpretation (and imo the right one) on the keep from Fields on 4th down. Still a dumb play call though.

I will say the one shining spot right now are the two young Wisco guys on defense - Benton and Herbig. They are core future guys, I think. They are what we want this defense to be. They embody it. Fast, physical, they love football, boundless energy. I love them. Herbig looks like Harrison before he made it. He runs around like a lunatic.

The only concern I have on defense is going to be the slot corner spot, but I think if the first team defense stays relatively healthy they’ll be pushing for a top 5 ranking.

Reactions: Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Different interpretation (and imo the right one) on the keep from Fields on 4th down. Still a dumb play call though.

The only concern I have on defense is going to be the slot corner spot, but I think if the first team defense stays relatively healthy they’ll be pushing for a top 5 ranking.

I am under the belief that spot is going to Beanie. Everything I have heard in the media has said that he has an inside track right now. I haven't seen any camp and partial bits of both games.

When Sutton comes back it goes to Sutton.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's the 2nd preseason game, but there are some alarming things going on. Jones got terrorized at RT. That experiment needs to end right now. Only positive was we found a punter.

The best thing for this offense to do is to run the ball. It will help these young linemen and that's really our only play right now. If this is how Wilson looks, Fields is the obvious answer. I'd rather let a 25 year old QB and a rookie line jell together and make mistakes together. At least that is getting us somewhere. Watching Russ throw lame ducks...I'm good on that.

Fields has to get the ball out of his hand. Back foot hits, he has to let it go. His issue is timing, I think. There is no rhythm to how he plays QB. It's very chaotic. Love his traits, but between him and this line, this is going to be wild.

This draft has to be defensive line. There are quite a few guys that fit. They should walk away with a guy in the middle round who has a good chance to be a starter. The crop looks to be super high end.

Plays like that are why people think the Justin Fields experiment is worth it. That's special athleticism.

When do you both quit watching the games and let the rest of us try to enjoy the experience? Your display in this thread is as brutal as the Steelers play on the field.
Then put us on ignore, simple. Doesn't mean our respective assertions are any less accurate. There are too many commercials. Which is why a smart person who has even a modicum of self respect would DVR the game and start watching it an hour plus after it starts.

Well, unless you're a yinzer who wants to get liquored up, can't see straight and doesn't likely even know who has the ball half the time or if they're even in a commercial break! Wait.... that describes the majority of steeler fans.

IT's ok to follow the team, I mean what else are we gonna do? Basket weaving?

To sit through incessant advertisements however, nah, that's for the sheep of society!

Reactions: Night Shift

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Then put us on ignore, simple. Doesn't mean our respective assertions are any less accurate. There are too many commercials. Which is why a smart person who has even a modicum of self respect would DVR the game and start watching it an hour plus after it starts.

Well, unless you're a yinzer who wants to get liquored up, can't see straight and doesn't likely even know who has the ball half the time or if they're even in a commercial break! Wait.... that describes the majority of steeler fans.

IT's ok to follow the team, I mean what else are we gonna do? Basket weaving?

To sit through incessant advertisements however, nah, that's for the sheep of society!
You're a nutjob.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m over Meyer…he should be fired…and Tomlin of course lol
Not many playmakers either on this team…the running game isn’t going to be that good with O line problems and having a good run game is our only hope to win games…that probably favors starting Fields…

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
One QB (Wilson) who is pretty much cooked and one (Fields) who can't mentally process the game fast enough - and never will be able to do so - to be a good passer. But at least he can run. That approach may work well for a team like Philadelphia who has a spectacular O-line, but it can't possibly work with the line we've got here.

Gonna be a fun season. The defense and special teams better be damn near perfect.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I simply do not believe in either QB. Wilson is not the elusive player he once was, except he is still short and needs to be the mobile player he used to be to move around and find throws. Fields can't read a defense and is a turnover machine. They HAVE to get the line figured out and lean heavily on the run to have any chance. Not looking good on that count at all. This could finally be the year that Tomlin has a losing season. One upside to that, at least we wouldn't have to hear about the non-losing streak anymore.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think a DL is as important as any. To me, QB is the last piece with this group. I'd run with Fields and just let him be a 2nd running back. It's the only way it appears this offensive line is going to be able to not get him killed.

Running all the time might keep him alive physically (although has its own risks), but it won't train him to get rid of his flaws at QB and given the predictability of the offence, won't put up enough points to give him credibility.

Imma need the guy to go over that one. It seems like the take is that Edge defence is what determines it right, not whether there's a hole the size of Alaska waiting for the RB? And that DB is saying that Edge is too far forward so Fields should keep because he can run around him? Which he can... but in doing so exposes him to the possibility that the LB and slot CB can come up on him. Which they do. Which means I don't get the Edge being the read there.

Interesting reading through his notes and seeing how Pruitt is there blocking absolutely nobody and might have made a difference. I'm also puzzled that the concept seems to work an effective screen route to the left... is that meant to be an option for Fields there? Can we blame him for not throwing that pass (side arm on the run) when he sees that Buffalo have busted it and are coming straight for him, but that guy is wide open?

Dunno. Agree it's a dumb play call.

I am under the belief that spot is going to Beanie. Everything I have heard in the media has said that he has an inside track right now. I haven't seen any camp and partial bits of both games.

When Sutton comes back it goes to Sutton.

Arnold was getting 1st team snaps over Bishop the last week of camp. Arnold's now injured, but Bishop was injured and sat vs Buffalo too which may have cost him some momentum.

But in any case I

a) Don't feel like Bishop's play has earned it to the point where I feel confident about a rookie holding down that position come regular games
b) Suspect the Steelers will deploy enough 3 safety looks - or even 3 ILB looks - that this a mildly moot concern

I'd add that iirc Tomlin has said that Bishop is in the battle for NCB snaps on run downs, not pass downs anyway...

NFL HOFer Cris Carters take:

WR was probably in the wrong then, but can't be sure without knowing what he was told... would love to see a full video of the route, but I guess one of the extended videos will get there. Did he pause after Fields threw the ball?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
There weren't any but you legitimately make it worse. You're not breaking anything people don't see. You're the smartest football fan. There...we have said it and covered it. Now STFU.
Says the guy who mocks one of the greatest Pens player ever. Maybe you should take your own advice.

little man

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
WR was probably in the wrong then, but can't be sure without knowing what he was told... would love to see a full video of the route, but I guess one of the extended videos will get there. Did he pause after Fields threw the ball?
Watching live it looked like he hesitated and then gathered his feet to leap instead of continuing to run to the ball. I think it was a bad throw regardless of what the WR did though.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Honestly, the biggest issue is we need another legitimate wide receiver. "Khan artist" has screwed that up by trading Johnson for a scrub defender, when we could have used him or we could have traded him for Aiyuk and actually completed that trade.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Watching live it looked like he hesitated and then gathered his feet to leap instead of continuing to run to the ball. I think it was a bad throw regardless of what the WR did though.

So he probably either misjudges the flight of the ball, or judges it fairly correct but lacks the confidence in his speed to get there in time?

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
So he probably either misjudges the flight of the ball, or judges it fairly correct but lacks the confidence in his speed to get there in time?
My read on it was that Fields probably thinks Luther is going to continue vertically, not break inside.

For what it's worth, that was the only snap that he played in the entire game.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Imma need the guy to go over that one. It seems like the take is that Edge defence is what determines it right, not whether there's a hole the size of Alaska waiting for the RB? And that DB is saying that Edge is too far forward so Fields should keep because he can run around him? Which he can... but in doing so exposes him to the possibility that the LB and slot CB can come up on him. Which they do. Which means I don't get the Edge being the read there.

Interesting reading through his notes and seeing how Pruitt is there blocking absolutely nobody and might have made a difference. I'm also puzzled that the concept seems to work an effective screen route to the left... is that meant to be an option for Fields there? Can we blame him for not throwing that pass (side arm on the run) when he sees that Buffalo have busted it and are coming straight for him, but that guy is wide open?

Dunno. Agree it's a dumb play call.

From my basic understanding of read options, what the DE does is generally what dictates whether the QB keeps it or hands it off. If they cheat inside, keep it. If they stay wide, hand it off. Probably more to it that I don’t know about.

The screen I think may have been an option, but it’s also meant to pull the defenders toward the sideline to open up a lane for the QB apparently. They may get called for an ineligible man down field if he throws that…I don’t know. Just a bad play call/execution combined with a pretty good adjustment by the defense seemingly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad