GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
TLDR Tomlin bad, please excuse the long post.

The assistants thing is a bigger problem than most people realize. For a guy with a tenure as long as Tomlin's, you'd expect to see a substantial coaching tree. Which he really doesn't have.

That always stuck out to me too, and when comparing to say Belichick who the other poster mentioned for his lack of relative successful coaching tree compared to his reputation, at least his assistants are actually considered for head coaching positions because of their success under him, when was the last time anyone was considered a hot coaching commodity under Tomlin? That you could credit to his influence? Is there any?

The other aspect of Tomlin's career that bugs me is most of the elite coaches in the league have a certain meaningful aspect of the game they are considered masters at that contributes to their success. What exactly is Tomlin's?

When the media talks about the elite coaches, they always focus on said mastery of whatever aspect of the game they excel at. Belichick's a defensive genius, Reid's a QB guru, McVay's x's and o's and general modern offensive schemes, Payton and Shanahan (at least when he was the coordinator for that Falcons SB team) for offensive play calling, etc.

But when it comes time for the media to praise Tomlin, what do they always refer to? His record. No singular defining trait of expertise they can point to, just his career winning record. This I believe is what Bradshaw was hinting at when he got backlash for the cheerleader comment. He doesn't have anything that stands out about him that you could point to for his winning record. But there must be one or else he wouldn't have said record, right? So when it's time for the booth to drum up talking points for Steelers games, they default to things like motivation, or players loving to play for him, etc. They won't try to connect the dots about his early career success largely coming with an already intact team he didn't have much hand in shaping, and especially the stability at QB he's had his entire head coaching career.

That relative inability to highlight a defining, meaningful aspect of the game he's a supposed expert at to explain his career success is one of the biggest arguments for his detractors. Like McCarthy with the Packers and Rodgers, the only conclusion is...

the-bobs.gif

I'm honestly surprised that Tomlin would want to stick around for the rebuild, seems like the perfect time for him to leave and make a boatload on TV.

I've felt similar but for a different reason. His career reputation is entirely reliant on his career winning record and early playoff success. The smart play I'd argue would be to go out with his public positive reputation intact before having the opportunity to expose it for the fraud his detractors believe it is by potentially failing in a second coaching gig. If he "retired" in order to avoid the upcoming rebuild (since Art doesn't "fire" coaches), he could ride into the proverbial sunset much like Cowher did despite his last year being poor as well, and his late career failures would largely be forgotten by the time his HoF candidacy period came around, easily coasting into Canton (even though he'll likely do so regardless due to his significance as a poc SB winning coach, like Dungy before him). But he's probably too proud to consider otherwise, judging by the response he had to the Notre Dame rumors. And he's likely too young still to not give it another go elsewhere if the opportunity was offered.

Many here like to compare Tomlin to Bylsma, and it's for that reason I'd argue my above point. Once Byslma was given the opportunity to prove his success wasn't a product of superstar talent carrying him, he quickly crashed and burned in Buffalo (and Team USA...), and his league reputation has never recovered.

I considered the same potential worry this past summer about Fleury going to Chicago. His HoF worthiness was never truly all that strong leaguewide until his success in Vegas, capped off with a Vezina. Prior to that he'd largely had quite average career stats outside the win column. He was never considered among the elite goalies prior to then. If he falters in the remaining years of his career, it might shed doubt on his post-Pens career resurgence as a potential product of the Vegas system in front of him, compared to say his whatever your feelings on the matter either earned or unearned reputation as a playoff choke in the post 09 Cup years of his tenure here.

Tomlin may yet prove his coaching reputation is earned if he succeeds elsewhere after his Steelers tenure ends whenever that may be, but I for one wouldn't exactly bet on it, and if I were him I wouldn't either. Join the talking heads on the major networks, get paid a boat load of dough, and enjoy your retirement and eventual trip to Canton.

Reactions: Night Shift

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I've offered the following 100:1 odds for the past 5 years. No one has taken me up on it. It's very strange

1. Torts will never appear again in a SC Final as a head coach
2. Mike Tomlin will never appear again in a SB as a head coach

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I've offered the following 100:1 odds for the past 5 years. No one has taken me up on it. It's very strange

1. Torts will never appear again in a SC Final as a head coach
2. Mike Tomlin will never appear again in a SB as a head coach

#2 is a definite.

But Torts? Isn't he retired, I kinda doubt he wants another gig at his age but I could be wrong.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
TLDR Tomlin bad, please excuse the long post.

That always stuck out to me too, and when comparing to say Belichick who the other poster mentioned for his lack of relative successful coaching tree compared to his reputation, at least his assistants are actually considered for head coaching positions because of their success under him, when was the last time anyone was considered a hot coaching commodity under Tomlin? That you could credit to his influence? Is there any?

The other aspect of Tomlin's career that bugs me is most of the elite coaches in the league have a certain meaningful aspect of the game they are considered masters at that contributes to their success. What exactly is Tomlin's?

When the media talks about the elite coaches, they always focus on said mastery of whatever aspect of the game they excel at. Belichick's a defensive genius, Reid's a QB guru, McVay's x's and o's and general modern offensive schemes, Payton and Shanahan (at least when he was the coordinator for that Falcons SB team) for offensive play calling, etc.

But when it comes time for the media to praise Tomlin, what do they always refer to? His record. No singular defining trait of expertise they can point to, just his career winning record. This I believe is what Bradshaw was hinting at when he got backlash for the cheerleader comment. He doesn't have anything that stands out about him that you could point to for his winning record. But there must be one or else he wouldn't have said record, right? So when it's time for the booth to drum up talking points for Steelers games, they default to things like motivation, or players loving to play for him, etc. They won't try to connect the dots about his early career success largely coming with an already intact team he didn't have much hand in shaping, and especially the stability at QB he's had his entire head coaching career.

That relative inability to highlight a defining, meaningful aspect of the game he's a supposed expert at to explain his career success is one of the biggest arguments for his detractors. Like McCarthy with the Packers and Rodgers, the only conclusion is...

the-bobs.gif

I've felt similar but for a different reason. His career reputation is entirely reliant on his career winning record and early playoff success. The smart play I'd argue would be to go out with his public positive reputation intact before having the opportunity to expose it for the fraud his detractors believe it is by potentially failing in a second coaching gig. If he "retired" in order to avoid the upcoming rebuild (since Art doesn't "fire" coaches), he could ride into the proverbial sunset much like Cowher did despite his last year being poor as well, and his late career failures would largely be forgotten by the time his HoF candidacy period came around, easily coasting into Canton (even though he'll likely do so regardless due to his significance as a poc SB winning coach, like Dungy before him). But he's probably too proud to consider otherwise, judging by the response he had to the Notre Dame rumors. And he's likely too young still to not give it another go elsewhere if the opportunity was offered.

Many here like to compare Tomlin to Bylsma, and it's for that reason I'd argue my above point. Once Byslma was given the opportunity to prove his success wasn't a product of superstar talent carrying him, he quickly crashed and burned in Buffalo (and Team USA...), and his league reputation has never recovered.

I considered the same potential worry this past summer about Fleury going to Chicago. His HoF worthiness was never truly all that strong leaguewide until his success in Vegas, capped off with a Vezina. Prior to that he'd largely had quite average career stats outside the win column. He was never considered among the elite goalies prior to then. If he falters in the remaining years of his career, it might shed doubt on his post-Pens career resurgence as a potential product of the Vegas system in front of him, compared to say his whatever your feelings on the matter either earned or unearned reputation as a playoff choke in the post 09 Cup years of his tenure here.

Tomlin may yet prove his coaching reputation is earned if he succeeds elsewhere after his Steelers tenure ends whenever that may be, but I for one wouldn't exactly bet on it, and if I were him I wouldn't either. Join the talking heads on the major networks, get paid a boat load of dough, and enjoy your retirement and eventual trip to Canton.

during the Rams last national appearnce, the guys in the both mentioned Mcvay had 3 guys under his tree that were head coaches in the NFL. coming from the youngest head coach in the league.
now compare that to tomlin's 16 years coaching

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Even Keith Butler's wife critical of way Steelers defense has played in recent weeks

It seems that Janet Butler, his wife of 41 years, is his harshest critic.
“I always call her coach when I get home,” Butler said Thursday. “She tells me what we did wrong. She tells me what we should have done here, should have done there. Why did you do this? Why did you do that?
“Sometimes I just say, ‘Hey, sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose.’ ”

Can't make this up.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I suspect the Steelers will pull out a win tomorrow.

They have taken a beating in the media, rightfully so, and professional pride will have to come into play at some point I’d imagine.

Tomlin, despite what I think of him, has figured out Jackson better than any other coach IMHO.

Ravens also haven’t been playing great ball lately, and are on their 11th string RB.

Given all this and the history of these two teams when they meet, I’ll be pretty shocked if we don’t see a close game.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I suspect the Steelers will pull out a win tomorrow.

They have taken a beating in the media, rightfully so, and professional pride will have to come into play at some point I’d imagine.

Tomlin, despite what I think of him, has figured out Jackson better than any other coach IMHO.

Ravens also haven’t been playing great ball lately, and are on their 11th string RB.

Given all this and the history of these two teams when they meet, I’ll be pretty shocked if we don’t see a close game.

I’ll be highly shocked if the Steelers win out Haden, Watt and what might end up being Heyward …

EDIT: nvm…lol…this is crazy

T.J. Watt is back from the COVID list, after only five days - ProFootballTalk

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’ll be highly shocked if the Steelers win out Haden, Watt and what might end up being Heyward …

EDIT: nvm…lol…this is crazy

T.J. Watt is back from the COVID list, after only five days - ProFootballTalk

I just feel a win coming, or at least a really close game.

Maybe if the Ravens were playing better and the Steelers didn’t own Jackson in his career… but Ravens have been squeaking out wins when they aren’t losing to the Dolphins.

Jackson has 8 picks in his last 5 games… he’s not playing great ball IMHO.

I just don’t see anything to suggest this will be a Ravens blowout.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Well that sucks in terms of what the replacement is gonna be.

It'll suck no matter what though so ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad