GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Damn that was a sick fake by Pickett.

He's solidifying himself as a high round QB. I don't think that he'll be worth the 1st rounder that some team will take on him, but I totally understand why a team will take him there.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Damn that was a sick fake by Pickett.

He's solidifying himself as a high round QB. I don't think that he'll be worth the 1st rounder that some team will take on him, but I totally understand why a team will take him there.
I bet we take the shot on him. Or someone like Detroit takes him at 1-1 because they’re desperate.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
fake slide is garbage. reminds me of when P Manning surrendered into a turtle vs the Steelers and then was allowed to get up and throw a bomb
Oh it was complete trash. I said it as soon as I saw it. Laughed about it, but it’s shit because the D can’t hit a QB, so nothing stops them from doing what Pickett did.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just to add a couple of thoughts.

1. That Pickett pulled a dick move doesn't make mevlove him less nor want him less for the Steelers. Brady is a bit of a tool. Belichick is a major tool. Lots of greats are. Sometimes you need a QB with a bit of edge to them.

2. Massive props to Pitt. Especially their coach. Always liked him. Like him even more after hearing him say that loyalty matters more than money and that he wanted to stay at Pitt when mentioned as a candidate to bigger openings.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know how the Steelers can manage it, but they need to find a way to draft Pickett with their first pick.

Tbh even though I love Pickett as Pitt's QB, I really wouldn't want to be a fan of the team that spends a high draft pick on him. I'm just not sure he'll translate well over to the pro ranks. Sure, he could be the next Josh Allen, but Josh Allen would have probably ended up a bust had he not ended up in the right situation.

If you trust the Steelers to develop a rookie QB well, I think Pickett is well worth it, but I don't know that I'd give them that much credit.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tbh even though I love Pickett as Pitt's QB, I really wouldn't want to be a fan of the team that spends a high draft pick on him. I'm just not sure he'll translate well over to the pro ranks. Sure, he could be the next Josh Allen, but Josh Allen would have probably ended up a bust had he not ended up in the right situation.

If you trust the Steelers to develop a rookie QB well, I think Pickett is well worth it, but I don't know that I'd give them that much credit.

1. The same things that I loved about Jones and Trask last year I love about Pickett. Accurate throws, quick accurate reads, and he even can run some. Size as well. He will be fine in the Pros. As I have said the Lamar Jackson copy cat league has been way over done.

2. If the Steelers can't develop a guy like Pickett, or couldn't have developed Jones, then they can't develop anyone.

Reactions: lastcupever75

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Steelers have too many holes, and sounds like they don't want to rebuild. My guess is they sign a vet QB, and focus on filling other holes at the draft (DL, OL, CB, ILB etc). Fortunately we have a ton of cap room so I can see them bringing in some vets over the off season.

With that being said, I wouldn't be upset if they took Picket in Round 1.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

He has the right attitude, his arm is pro caliber, his deep balls are accurate, he can break out of the pocket and run, and he wins. I'm not sure why you may think his talent wouldn't translate. Sure, every pick has the capability of busting, but I'm not going to pretend he doesn't have all of the tools.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
To me, Pickett looks like a QB whose game will fall apart when the the tempo speeds up. Great college QB, but I think he will struggle in the NFL if he is put on a struggling team. He is not a savior of a franchise. He's a guy that a good team could draft and probably plug right away and he'll be decent for them right out of the box. I think him being drafted by the Steelers would be a death wish to his career.

I suspect the Steelers will pull out a win tomorrow.

They have taken a beating in the media, rightfully so, and professional pride will have to come into play at some point I’d imagine.

Tomlin, despite what I think of him, has figured out Jackson better than any other coach IMHO.

Ravens also haven’t been playing great ball lately, and are on their 11th string RB.

Given all this and the history of these two teams when they meet, I’ll be pretty shocked if we don’t see a close game.

The team winning is like purgatory. It does absolutely no good and just prolongs the pain.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
To me, Pickett looks like a QB whose game will fall apart when the the tempo speeds up. Great college QB, but I think he will struggle in the NFL if he is put on a struggling team. He is not a savior of a franchise. He's a guy that a good team could draft and probably plug right away and he'll be decent for them right out of the box. I think him being drafted by the Steelers would be a death wish to his career.

I want them to draft Carson Strong - but his medicals are worrisome.

The team winning is like purgatory. It does absolutely no good and just prolongs the pain.

I’ve been trying to explain this is how I feel and we have some people on here who “just can’t root agt the Steelers”.

Which tells me they need some kind of instant gratification and don’t understand short term pain for long term gain.

Most seem to forget weeks ago Dumblin stated in the media he's not going with a rookie QB next year.

We keep getting conflicting reports:

2022 NFL Draft: Steelers to exhaust QB possibilities with aging Ben Roethlisberger continuing to underwhelm

If Tomlin truly doesn’t want to try and find a future franchise guy, he is even more of a fraud than I think.

Unfortunately, we don’t have Dan Rooney around to stop him from doing something dumb like Cowher almost did.

Again, none of this matters if he’s too stupid to get a real OC to develop a young QB.

He seems to enjoy having cronies around, rather than doing what’s best for business.

Reactions: Night Shift

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Steelers have too many holes, and sounds like they don't want to rebuild. My guess is they sign a vet QB, and focus on filling other holes at the draft (DL, OL, CB, ILB etc). Fortunately we have a ton of cap room so I can see them bringing in some vets over the off season.
Good. I'd rather fill those holes (especially Oline) and sign a vet QB.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How is Tomlin calling the D when he stands on the sidelines not saying a word with his dumb stare?

See that magic thing on his head?

usatsi_13332311.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad