OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
coach mt will never let that happen. any success will be mt alone.

... How is he going to persuade the world that any success his OC has, particularly in this situation, is due to Tomlin and Tomlin alone? Mass hypnosis? Drugs in the entire continent's water supply? Get a magic potion from Harry Potter world?

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm honestly shocked Vrabel is unemployed. He was coach of the year just two years ago. I thought he did pretty well in TN all things considered and don't think he should've been let go this year.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
If we brought in Vrabel to help with the Defense then Tomlin will def be too jealous. Look how long it’s taken him to hire a “name” and it being Arthur Smith at that. Not like we hired Ben Johnson.

Reactions: Pengwins

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Mueller doesn’t know why new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith isn’t able to bring in his own guys instead of having to work with coaches that were part of the Matt Canada regime.​
“What an ass-backwards way of doing it, you’re going to lock up your offensive line coach before you even hire your offensive coordinator? What if you’re offensive coordinator doesn’t want to work with that offensive line coach?” asked Andrew Fillipponi.​

I don't think the needle will move much... same staff that has mostly underperformed and you add an OC that can't pick any staff members...

I smell 9-8 or 10-7 with a Playoff loss. TBH, Tomlin has to play a few rookie head coaches so maybe 8-8...

Reactions: JTG

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Mueller doesn’t know why new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith isn’t able to bring in his own guys instead of having to work with coaches that were part of the Matt Canada regime.​
“What an ass-backwards way of doing it, you’re going to lock up your offensive line coach before you even hire your offensive coordinator? What if you’re offensive coordinator doesn’t want to work with that offensive line coach?” asked Andrew Fillipponi.​

I don't think the needle will move much... same staff that has mostly underperformed and you add an OC that can't pick any staff members...

I smell 9-8 or 10-7 with a Playoff loss. TBH, Tomlin has to play a few rookie head coaches so maybe 8-8...
Should the offensive line coach have been brought back regardless?

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Well, I think the Oline has been pretty good considering the talent on it.

All the advanced stats like PFF seem to say the Olinemen were mediocre to crap. So if that is true then how did they gave up the fourth fewest sacks and they had a good running game. 🤷‍♂️

Don't we have to give credit somewhere?

And I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Steelers first round pick will be Jackson Powers-Jonhson. It's a huge need and his tape, plus his work at the senior bowl, plus the Steelers have met with him twice at the Senior Bowl seems to indicate that direction.

It will be interesting to see if they go to his pro day. As most people know, the Steelers first round pick is always a player Tomlin and other high ranking coaches have scouted at that players pro day. But the Steelers basically never attend pro days out West. Soooooo....if Tomlin attends Oregon's pro day that will be a big tell.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd be okay with Tannehill OR Rudolph as the competition to Pickett, but not both. Feels redundant. Take a flier in the draft with a real developmental QB3 at that point.
Yeah, I thinks that's especially true with this draft. It looks pretty deep with intriguing developmental QB's.

All the advanced stats like PFF seem to say the Olinemen were mediocre to crap. So if that is true then how did they gave up the fourth fewest sacks and they had a good running game. 🤷‍♂️

And I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Steelers first round pick will be Jackson Powers-Jonhson. It's a huge need and his tape, plus his work at the senior bowl, plus the Steelers have met with him twice at the Senior Bowl seems to indicate that direction.

It will be interesting to see if they go to his pro day. As most people know, the Steelers first round pick is always a player Tomlin and other high ranking coaches have scouted at that players pro day. But the Steelers basically never attend pro days out West. Soooooo....if Tomlin attends Oregon's pro day that will be a big tell.
I have mixed feelings on Meyer as O-Line coach. The running game has had good stretches with him but some of the development stuff with individual players has left a lot to be desired. Dotson was played out of position and never really developed here. They are now doing the same thing with Jones. I think Jones is a freakier athlete that may be able to handle multiple positions better but it certainly hurt a more limited guy in Dotson. Dan Moore's also never really gotten any better. Just not a lot of individual development despite some hot stretches of running the ball well as a unit.

Reactions: pistolpete11

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, I thinks that's especially true with this draft. It looks pretty deep with intriguing developmental QB's.

I have mixed feelings on Meyer as O-Line coach. The running game has had good stretches with him but some of the development stuff with individual players has left a lot to be desired. Dotson was played out of position and never really developed here. They are now doing the same thing with Jones. I think Jones is a freakier athlete that may be able to handle multiple positions better but it certainly hurt a more limited guy in Dotson. Dan Moore's also never really gotten any better. Just not a lot of individual development despite some hot stretches of running the ball well as a unit.

Don't forget about the Kendrick Green failure also. When Munchak left, even our Pro Bowl line got worse.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

He had 3 relatively high priced FA and a 1st round pick they moved up to get. He had a hand in f***ing up Dotson. Moore hasn't improved. Cole regressed. Daniels and Seumalo were fine, but again, they paid them a lot of money. I think you hope for more than fine. I don't even know what to say about Chuks.

The running game improved once they put Jones in, but how much of that was the O-line coach and how much of that is Jones just being a freak?

They didn't give up many sacks partially because they had the 4th fewest passing attempts, partially because they didn't run routes down the field, and partially because Tomlin's MO is to not take negative plays at all costs.

I don't know how you could watch this team and think the O-line wasn't a major problem.

Don't forget about the Kendrick Green failure also. When Munchak left, even our Pro Bowl line got worse.
To be fair, I think this guy has only been there since 2022.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I have mixed feelings on Meyer.

Our OLs improve through the year. Good.

Why couldn't they take last year's improvement into this year? Bad.

How much of the improvement is about schedules that routinely start hard and let up? Mixed.

And how much of this is about an offensive scheme that puts a lot of pressure on the line due to its predictability and lack of ambition? For much of the season. when the Steelers were about to run, we all knew and the Steelers did it anyway. Most DLs are going to stop that unless your talent is amazing.

And just how amazing is the talent? Mason Cole, Dan Moore, Okorafor... they're not dudes to conjure with. Seumalo and Daniels are quality, but they can't make it happen all alone, and Jones is an athletic freak but so raw.

I dunno how much he's got to do with position shifting either. Dotson made his shift before Meyer got here, ditto the Green mess. Jones is on his watch, but Jones is also partly due to a disciplinary issue. If Tomlin said Okorafor can't start except in extremis, that one is kind of it.

I think I want Meyer to go but wouldn't be surprised if a new smarter scheme and a couple more players to replace the weak links made everything go and we suddenly though he was great again.

In any case

a) If Smith feels strongly about having a different OL coach, then they should give him that man
b) Since Smith blew off a bunch of other interviews to sign with the Steelers, I'm guessing he doesn't have strong feelings about the Steelers keeping Meyer. Or maybe even actively likes what he saw.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I have mixed feelings on Meyer.

Our OLs improve through the year. Good.

Why couldn't they take last year's improvement into this year? Bad.

How much of the improvement is about schedules that routinely start hard and let up? Mixed.

And how much of this is about an offensive scheme that puts a lot of pressure on the line due to its predictability and lack of ambition? For much of the season. when the Steelers were about to run, we all knew and the Steelers did it anyway. Most DLs are going to stop that unless your talent is amazing.

And just how amazing is the talent? Mason Cole, Dan Moore, Okorafor... they're not dudes to conjure with. Seumalo and Daniels are quality, but they can't make it happen all alone, and Jones is an athletic freak but so raw.

I dunno how much he's got to do with position shifting either. Dotson made his shift before Meyer got here, ditto the Green mess. Jones is on his watch, but Jones is also partly due to a disciplinary issue. If Tomlin said Okorafor can't start except in extremis, that one is kind of it.

I think I want Meyer to go but wouldn't be surprised if a new smarter scheme and a couple more players to replace the weak links made everything go and we suddenly though he was great again.

In any case

a) If Smith feels strongly about having a different OL coach, then they should give him that man
b) Since Smith blew off a bunch of other interviews to sign with the Steelers, I'm guessing he doesn't have strong feelings about the Steelers keeping Meyer. Or maybe even actively likes what he saw.

Replacing Cole should be no less than their first or second priority this off-season.

I can’t even put into words how bad he was this year.

Looked like he was on roller skates he got manhandled so damn often.

Finished the season as badly as he started it, allowing a team high six pressures.

You can’t bleed up the middle on the O-line and expect to have any kind of consistent pass protection.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Replacing Cole should be no less than their first or second priority this off-season.

I can’t even put into words how bad he was this year.

Looked like he was on roller skates he got manhandled so damn often.

Finished the season as badly as he started it, allowing a team high six pressures.

You can’t bleed up the middle on the O-line and expect to have any kind of consistent pass protection.

Preaching to the choir.

Priority one for me is ensuring Broderick Jones is a LT exclusively.

Priority two... actually priority two might be restacking the ILB/S room so they don't end up with Minkah Fitzpatrick being a very expensive box safety rather than being a playmaking free safety again.

Cole comes right after that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
They didn't give up many sacks partially because they had the 4th fewest passing attempts, partially because they didn't run routes down the field, and partially because Tomlin's MO is to not take negative plays at all costs.
Plus, as has been pointed out many times, Kenny bails too quickly. While the hope is he would make some plays with a bit more patience, not escaping the pocket is going to lead to sacks as well. It's not a major contributor to raw sack numbers, but it's an issue with play - both KP and the line - that does contribute.

Reactions: pistolpete11

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
FWIW I saw a post on the Steelers subreddit that the team loves Zach Frazier from WVU, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as their 2nd rounder to replace Cole.

A Fairmont, WV kid snapping the ball in Pittsburgh? For the story line alone they are going to draft him. I will all but guarantee he is our 2nd round pick. Right now he has a late 2nd/early 3rd round grade. Obviously a lot of evaluation and movement in the boards to go. I will be very shocked if he isn't a Steeler and I'll be happy about it. His combine will be huge for him. If he has like 33 inch arms and he runs around a 5.00 40 and shows to be highly athletic...he may go 1st round. His tape should be good enough because the games I saw him play in he was pretty dominant.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I guess Graham Barton who is an OT for Duke, teams are talking about moving him to C and he has played C in the past. It will be really interesting to see where he plays at the combine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad